• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Remember the Wounded Military at Christmas

Please do not send "Any Wounded Soldier" letters or packages to Walter Reed Army Medical Center.If you want to send a letter or package to a wounded soldier, please consider donating to one of the many nonprofit organizations that assist servicemembers and their families. These organizations include the USO, American Red Cross, and more.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
I just received this in my email from a friend and it is a Great Idea!!!

When you are making out your Christmas card list this year, please include the following:

A Recovering American soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue,NW
Washington,D.C. 20307-5001

If you approve of the idea, please pass it on to your e-mail list

love the idea Linda! Thanks, I'm passing it on now!

I received an email from a friend too, but on the http://www.usps.com website it says this Sending donated items to the military or 'Any Service Member'

The Department of Defense (DoD) has become aware of organizations and individuals who solicit donations for care packages and use unit numbers and/or a list of service member names to send the packages to deployed forces. These programs are usually supported by well-intentioned and patriotic people who are simply unaware of the new risks facing deployed military forces. Some individuals and groups have even publicized the names of service members, ships or units on websites, without realizing that personal information may be used inappropriately. Visit the Defend America Home Page and go to Support our Troops to find DoD recommended ways to show your support.

Programs that allowed people to send mail to service members unknown to them were discontinued following the terrorist attacks of 2001. This includes the "Any Service Member" mail program for overseas military personnel. Mail to "Any Service Member" that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.

If it has a valid return address it will be returned to sender.
Items without return addresses are opened in our Mail Recovery Center Network to determine the sender's address.
If it is impossible to determine the sender's address, items are sent to local charities.
Operation Shoebox is a privately run program that accepts donations and supplies to our troops engaged in Operation Iraqi Freedom. As with all unsolicited donation or mailing programs, the DoD does not endorse or support this initiative, and urges helpful Americans to visit the Defend America Home Page for a list of officially approved methods that they participate in to best support our troops.

So I don't know if the cards will really make it to anyone, I just thought I would let you all know about this.

Tonia

The cards should make it. They're going to those who are wounded and recovering on our soil here, not deployed in the fields of combat. I saw the urge to send out cards last year too and hadn't heard of anyone getting their cards returned to them so I'd hope it's good to go.

I'm going to the post office this morning, I'll ask about it.

If anyone's looking for another way to thank the troops, there's a wonderful program by Xerox, Let's Say Thanks. You design a postcard online and they print and mail them to soldiers. The pictures for the fronts are all drawn by US schoolchildren. It's free, and you can send a lot of them!

chefann said:
If anyone's looking for another way to thank the troops, there's a wonderful program by Xerox, Let's Say Thanks. You design a postcard online and they print and mail them to soldiers. The pictures for the fronts are all drawn by US schoolchildren. It's free, and you can send a lot of them!
OOHH! I am going to check this one out!

Here's our answerhttp://www.wramc.amedd.army.mil/Lists/WRNews/DispForm.aspx?Id=24&

Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials want to remind those individuals who want to show their appreciation through mail to include packages and letters, addressed to “Any Wounded Soldier” that Walter Reed will not be accepting these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense.

In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is no longer accepting “Any Service Member” or “Any Wounded Service Member” letters or packages. Mail to “Any Service Member” that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.

Instead of sending an “Any Wounded Soldier” letter or package to Walter Reed, please consider making a donation to one of the more than 300 nonprofit organizations dedicated to helping our troops and their families listed on the "America Supports You" website, http://www.americasupportsyou.mil

Other organizations that offer means of showing your support for our troops or assist wounded servicemembers and their families include:

USO Cares
http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/tooursoldiers/
American Red Cross - Preparing Communities for an Emergency and Keeping People Safe - Preparedness

For individuals without computer access, your local military installation, the local National Guard or military reserve unit in your area may offer the best alternative to show your support to our returning troops and their families. Walter Reed Army Medical Center will continue to receive process and deliver all mail that is addressed to a specific individual.

As Walter Reed continues to enhance the medical care and processes for our returning service members, it must also must keep our patients and staff members safe while following Department of Defense policy. The outpouring of encouragement from the general public, corporate America and civic groups throughout the past year has been incredible. Our Warriors in Transition are amazed at the thanks and support they receive from their countrymen.

Can I add another one to that list?
http://www.toys-for-troops.com/They accept donations of beanie babies and soccer balls, as well as care package items for soldiers overseas.

Related to Remember the Wounded Military at Christmas

1. What is "Remember the Wounded Military at Christmas"?

"Remember the Wounded Military at Christmas" is a charitable initiative by Pampered Chef to show support and appreciation for our wounded military members during the holiday season.

2. How can I participate in this initiative?

There are a few ways you can participate in "Remember the Wounded Military at Christmas": 1) Purchase a Pampered Chef product from our special holiday collection, where a portion of the sales will be donated to the initiative. 2) Make a direct donation through our website. 3) Host a Pampered Chef party and donate a portion of the sales to the initiative.

3. Where does the money raised from this initiative go?

All donations and proceeds from the sales of our holiday collection will go towards supporting wounded military members and their families through various organizations such as the Wounded Warrior Project and Fisher House Foundation.

4. Can I make a donation without purchasing a product?

Yes, you can make a direct donation through our website or by hosting a party and donating a portion of the sales to the initiative. Every contribution, big or small, makes a difference in the lives of our wounded military members.

5. Is there a deadline for participating in this initiative?

The holiday collection and donation options will be available until December 31st, but you can also continue to support our wounded military members throughout the year by purchasing Pampered Chef products from our regular catalog and selecting the option to round up your purchase to the nearest dollar for donation to our chosen military charities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• gailz2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
WLMcCoy
  • WLMcCoy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
  • jrstephens