• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Questions and Need Advice on a Good Dog Containment System

In summary, a 3 year old English Springer Spaniel is a friendly dog that is not jumpy or barky and does not react well to an invisible fence. However, a PetSafe Wireless Fence is an easy to use, portable system that can be taken with you wherever you go. Blackie was shocked in his initial training, but now knows his boundaries.
etteluap70PC
Gold Member
Hi all!
You all have such wonderful advice on a variety of topics so here I am....
We may be adopting a 3 year old English Springer Spaniel. A friend is moving out of state and cannot take Baxter with them. We went and met him today and her is a very playful friendly dog. No jumping or barking (my daughter gets scared when dogs jump at her alot).
Baxter is currently used to a fenced in fairly large back yard (slightly larger than ours) We do not want to install all that fencing.
I know some of you have the invisible fence. Do you like it? Do you think it would be OK to use with a dog that is not a puppy and used to visible/physical boundaries?

We would be installing this ourselves to keep the cost down. Any tips?

Paulette - there is a little bit of training with any system you would get. There is a great wireless model out that Kelly just got...Kelly - how is it working?Some dogs do not react well to them, but a springer spaniel "should" be o.k.I also have a NIB older model one here sitting at my desk with extra wire I could line you up with...Let me pull Kelly's thread so you can look at that and some information I sent her.PM me your e-mail and I'll get you some articles, etc.

Janet is the resident Pet Expert! :) She can help you with any pet questions!

I remember that conversation... I read most of it.

Just curious if there was any other input?

This place is going to the dogs.

Kitchen Diva said:
Janet is the resident Pet Expert! :) She can help you with any pet questions!

I'm not a PET EXPERT! LOL!

I am a pet owner, teach Pet First Aid courses for the Red Cross and work at a Pet Supply Company...

...so I have resources. :D I'm sure many out there may know more than me, but I hold my own well!

But thanks for the kudos...

Better to be a pet expert than a pet pervert.

Paulette:

We own two dogs, a Corgi and a Lab Mix, both love to roam! Blackie, the lab, used to chase deer all the time, until we bought our system, which is the Pet Safe Instant Fence. It's a radio signal, rather than wired, which allows us to take it wherever we go (camping, visiting another family). All we have to do is set the perimeter (up to 90 feet circumference) and we're good to go. We bought ours at Home Depot. I don't know if they still carry them, but here is a link to an online outlet, with a pretty good description of how it works. Pet Safe Wireless Fence is instant fence that's portable wireless dog fencing.

Good luck!

chefmary said:
Paulette:

We own two dogs, a Corgi and a Lab Mix, both love to roam! Blackie, the lab, used to chase deer all the time, until we bought our system, which is the Pet Safe Instant Fence. It's a radio signal, rather than wired, which allows us to take it wherever we go (camping, visiting another family). All we have to do is set the perimeter (up to 90 feet circumference) and we're good to go. We bought ours at Home Depot. I don't know if they still carry them, but here is a link to an online outlet, with a pretty good description of how it works. Pet Safe Wireless Fence is instant fence that's portable wireless dog fencing.

Good luck!

So if you take it with you do do the flags or just let them get shocked and they figure it out?

If you've trained them with flags, it is nice if they know the meaning. With our two, we just let them figure out the boundaries. Of course, we've only done in ground ones and when at my brothers just put the collars on and used his.

etteluap70PC said:
So if you take it with you do do the flags or just let them get shocked and they figure it out?

We usually take a few flags with us to give them an idea of their boundaries. They both were shocked in their initial training and it hurt to see their reactions!! Also, the collars start to beep when they get close to the line, so they have an idea without even seeing the flags that they shouldn't go any further.

Mary

Related to Questions and Need Advice on a Good Dog Containment System

1. What are the key features to look for in a dog containment system?

The top features to consider when choosing a dog containment system are durability, size and coverage, ease of installation, and compatibility with your dog's size and behavior. You'll also want to consider whether the system is wireless or wired, and if it offers adjustable levels of correction.

2. How do I know if a dog containment system is suitable for my specific breed or size of dog?

It's important to carefully read the product description and specifications to ensure that the containment system is suitable for your dog's size and breed. Some systems are designed specifically for small dogs, while others can accommodate larger breeds. It's also a good idea to read reviews from other pet owners who have used the system with similar breeds.

3. Can I install a dog containment system on my own or do I need professional help?

While some containment systems may require professional installation, many systems are designed for easy DIY installation. Be sure to read the product instructions carefully to determine if you need any special tools or assistance. If you are unsure, it's always best to seek professional help to ensure proper installation and functionality.

4. What is the difference between a wireless and wired dog containment system?

A wireless system uses a radio signal to create a circular boundary, while a wired system uses an underground wire to create a customizable boundary. Wireless systems are generally easier to install, but may have limitations in terms of coverage and signal strength. Wired systems can be more customizable, but require more labor for installation.

5. How do I train my dog to use a containment system?

Training is a crucial part of successfully using a dog containment system. Most systems come with a training guide and DVD to help guide you through the process. It's important to start training in a low distraction environment and gradually increase distractions as your dog becomes more comfortable. Consistency and patience are key to successful training.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • etteluap70PC
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
StacieB
Replies
Views
janetupnorth