• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

PTA vs. PTO: What's the Difference?

it was really cool!The kids really seem to like them too... it's pretty interesting to watch them use it. During parent visit day we watched the teacher use it for a math lesson with the kids coming up... it was really cool!
KaryCam
Gold Member
My son is starting a new school next year and it is going to be a brand new school. They are trying to get parents involved already so that when school starts there will be a core group already developed. One thing we have to decide upon is whether to be a PTA or PTO.
What are the real differences?
Does anyone have an opinion on one above the other?
Thanks

I have no idea. I can't wait to find out! Thanks for the thread!

Our school went throught his last year too. I don't remember the differnce, but we are a PTO. I'll ask today when I see my friend and report back to you. Give this a bump this afternoon if I forget.

I "think" a PTA gets more funding...at least that is what DS's school said when we voted to change from a PTO to PTA at the beginning of the year.....

for some reason I'm thinking that one has a non-profit status - but I could be wrong.

"The technical differences between a PTA and a PTO are fairly simple. The national PTA is a formal membership organization headquartered in Chicago with a 105-year history of working for children. Local groups that choose to belong to the PTA must pay dues to the state and national organization and abide by state and national group rules. In return, they get member benefits, and they get a voice in the operations of the larger organization. The national PTA maintains a Washington, D.C., lobbying office, and most state PTAs advocate at their respective state capitals, as well. The PTA carefully protects its name, so that in theory only dues-paying members of the group can call themselves a PTA.

PTO, on the other hand, is a more generic term. It generally represents the thousands of groups that choose to remain independent of the PTA. The acronym PTO is the most popular name, but other common monikers include PCC, PTG, and HSA. These are most often single-school groups that operate under their own bylaws and by and large concern themselves with the goings-on at their building or in their town only."

PTO Today - PTO vs. PTA: What's the Difference?

WOW Erin! Did you google that or is that in your pretty head of yours? (Sorry I just read the SC pics thread!)

Okay, you just added that link, didn't you?;)

PampMomof3 said:
WOW Erin! Did you google that or is that in your pretty head of yours? (Sorry I just read the SC pics thread!)

Well...I am that smart but I did use the google! LOL;)

Interesting... our school uses the moniker HSA which stands for Home School Association which has nothing to do with homeschooling... LOL. It's confusing to be named something different from not only other schools in other districts but different from other elementaries within our own district! Our attendance to meetings is dismal. I don't think parents understand how many decisions the HSA makes in regards to in classroom technology (the 'extra's' like smart boards) and fun (playground equipment and classroom parties)... the last meeting we had which was supposed to include elections for next year had 3 on the board show, me as the only parent and our Principal... ugh. It's the lowest turnout EVER that I've personally seen.

lkprescott said:
Interesting... our school uses the moniker HSA which stands for Home School Association which has nothing to do with homeschooling... LOL. It's confusing to be named something different from not only other schools in other districts but different from other elementaries within our own district!

Our attendance to meetings is dismal. I don't think parents understand how many decisions the HSA makes in regards to in classroom technology (the 'extra's' like smart boards) and fun (playground equipment and classroom parties)... the last meeting we had which was supposed to include elections for next year had 3 on the board show, me as the only parent and our Principal... ugh. It's the lowest turnout EVER that I've personally seen.

I love SMART BOARDS!!! I so want one. Sorry, I just needed to add that. The school that my son is attending next year just switched from a PTO to a PTA. They were talking about it at the last meeting and I wondered what the difference was. Thanks for the info!

heather223 said:
I love SMART BOARDS!!! I so want one. Sorry, I just needed to add that. The school that my son is attending next year just switched from a PTO to a PTA. They were talking about it at the last meeting and I wondered what the difference was. Thanks for the info!

The kids really seem to like them too... it's pretty interesting to watch them use it. During parent visit day we watched the teacher use it for a math lesson with the kids coming up to the board to mark in the answers and such. Their math book, it seems, is very techno-ready too with online tutoring for homework when needed... I could have so used that as a kid myself! As it was, I'd frustrate myself and my mom with homework. LOL...

lkprescott said:
The kids really seem to like them too... it's pretty interesting to watch them use it. During parent visit day we watched the teacher use it for a math lesson with the kids coming up to the board to mark in the answers and such. Their math book, it seems, is very techno-ready too with online tutoring for homework when needed... I could have so used that as a kid myself! As it was, I'd frustrate myself and my mom with homework. LOL...

My son is always talking about how much they like the smart board. There is so much you can do with it. I think every classroom should have one. I know that our school district has one in every classroom.

What is a smart board? I have never heard of it before.

Our PTO does not have a good turn out to the meetings. Part of the problem is that most of the PTO board members are very clicky and they tend to not be very friendly and it makes it so people don't want to get involved with the PTO because they don't feel welcome.

PampMomof3 said:
I have no idea. I can't wait to find out! Thanks for the thread!

Where I come from that stands for paid time off and paid time accrued. Wish I could be of more help! :)

Interesting, thanks Erin for finding that info. I'm the treasurer of our PTO. All of us officers were new this year; we've done a lot of changes, so far with positive feedback. It's always tough when it's the same parents that help with everything though...

oh, & our teachers want those smart boards too! This year, we purchased ELMO projectors for them & they love those too.

They are trying at all three of my kids schools to get me on the board. Been there, done that! LOL!! I much prefer being a worker bee then someone with a title. I tell them I tend to do more that way......

It's definately been a learning experience for us this year. Us new officers got suckered in by a note that was sent home last year saying "come save pto", claiming it would end if more people didn't help out. I think the old officers were just burnt out.

Related to PTA vs. PTO: What's the Difference?

1. What is the main difference between PTA and PTO?

The main difference between PTA (Parent-Teacher Association) and PTO (Parent-Teacher Organization) is their organizational structure. PTA is a formal organization with elected officers and bylaws, while PTO is a more informal group that operates without a strict structure.

2. Which one should I join, PTA or PTO?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference and the needs of your school. PTA tends to have a more structured approach and may require more commitment, while PTO is more laid-back and flexible. Consider talking to other parents or the school administration to get a better understanding of which organization would be the best fit for you.

3. Are PTA and PTO open to all parents?

Yes, both PTA and PTO are open to all parents, guardians, and caregivers of students. They welcome anyone who wants to get involved and support their child's education.

4. Can I participate in both PTA and PTO?

Yes, you can participate in both organizations if you wish. However, it is important to consider your time and availability before committing to multiple groups. It may be more beneficial to focus on one organization and make a bigger impact.

5. How are PTA and PTO funded?

Both PTA and PTO are funded through membership dues, fundraising events, and donations. These funds are used to support school programs, events, and resources that benefit the students and teachers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • lt1jane
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lt1jane