• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Protecting Kids from School Violence: Is it Right to Let Him Back?

I would definitely do that! And I also agree with you that it's not overbearing to be concerned about our kids safety.
pcchris
Silver Member
I was at my DD's softball practice this evening, and was told that there is a boy in 8th grade at her school that has been threatening to shoot some kids at school. :eek: Then I found out that he already shot another boy through the shoulder last week (Don't know the whole story behind that one, but he's physically okay). I'm freaking out...I know that the boy is currently out of school due to a out of school suspension, but they are thinking about letting him came back!:eek: :eek: I emailed the principal and school administrator, wanting to know how they plan on ensuring the safety of the other kids at the school, and what they paln on doing with this boy. Would you be concerned, or am I out of line??? Did I do the right thing?
I guess in light of the recent school shootings, my eyes have really been opened up to the fact that it can happen anywhere! (There's only about 4800 people in our city). I'm trying to stay calm, but it's really hard to do.
I guess I can't even believe that they are considering letting him come back to school!

I would freak out as well. I would not want my children in that environment either.

I think you brought up your concerns to the right people, though. I hope there is a good outcome to the situation as well.

YOU ARE NOT OUT OF LINE!!!!:eek:
I would be freaking out and I'd be doing more than e-mailing!! Not that your not doing enough!! I'm just saying, I'm a hot head! And when it comes to our kids my hubby is too! We would have not stopped until we found out where the principal and super intendant of the school district lived! And then we'd have gone there and DEMANDED some answers! By all means do not back down, your kid(s?) only have you to protect them and keep them safe!
I will pray for you and your child's school and for the boy that is obviously very troubled!
Keep us posted!

Will do - and the reason I emailed is so there is documentation that a concern was voiced. I know the principal pretty good (I work at the schools every now and then), so I might just stop in and see him tomorrow! I have no plans on backing down...and I do want answers! I almost want to just keep her home until I'm sure that it's safe to go back...that this kid gets the help he needs!

I would call my mayor or congressman for your area!@ NOW!!!!!!!

I am military and when ever we have a MAJOR problem, and this is one of them, we call them. (not just me but friends and family do so also) This is what they are paid for.

Plus call your news stations.

This may sound "over obessive" but with this situation I am not sure you could ever go overboard. You could also cal anomynous (spell??) so no one finds out it was you!!!

I can do it for you????

I'd be in the principal's office first thing in the morning. If I didn't like the answers I was given, I'd make my next stop the news stations.

naekelsey said:
I would call my mayor or congressman for your area!@ NOW!!!!!!!

I am military and when ever we have a MAJOR problem, and this is one of them, we call them. (not just me but friends and family do so also) This is what they are paid for.

Plus call your news stations.

This may sound "over obessive" but with this situation I am not sure you could ever go overboard. You could also cal anomynous (spell??) so no one finds out it was you!!!

I can do it for you????
I agree.
You never know. Something small could blow up to something big. If this kid has already been having issues, you never know!

GeorgiaPeach said:
I'd be in the principal's office first thing in the morning. If I didn't like the answers I was given, I'd make my next stop the news stations.
Yep, I agree too!

Maybe, pcchris, you should do just that, keep your daughter home until you know it's safe and I would warn other parents and get them to support you and have them keep their kids home. If they need help with care, junior high is not a baby, but it's when they can get into A LOT of trouble when they are left alone, then offer it! But get their support and then take it to EVERYONE you can and the more kids that don't go to school, the more quicker they will solve this issue. What are they going to do, keep school open for a kid with some serious issues, or school for all the kids that don't cause problems! I definetely am proud of your determination! Keep going and don't give up, you owe that to your child and everyone else's! But especially your child! I will continue to pray for you!

GeorgiaPeach said:
Me too! Go to the police, go to the school, go to the school superintendant.....

My goodness. :eek: Have you done anything today? Did you keep your daughter home? I would be petrified!

Currently, I have heard nothing. The principal is not at school today (I'm guessing that he's with the superintendant trying to figure out what's going on.) The police in town are aware of the situation...the county sheriff's department knows what's going on...and, ironically, my DD's home today because she's not feeling well. I have an email and a voice mail in to the principal and superintendant. If I hear nothing before today is over, the Milwaukee News channels will be hearing from me. (news channels live for this stuff!!)

Thanks all for your support and prayers...very much appreciated. I'll keep you posted when I hear something!!!

Let the police know about this situation. This looks like one of those things where the kid might fall through the cracks and no one will track him. Well, Virginia showed us what that type of reaction can do to our most precious resource, our children. And, if no one takes your concerns seriously, call the local paper. Investigative reports are always looking for ways to improve their community. This sounds like an other people who live where you do would be concerned too.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

From a learning point of view, the kids will not be able to concentrate when this kid is in school. It is illegal to create an environment that hinders learning for others. So, you do have a legal leg to stand on. I would pull my kid out of school if this kid came back and move him/her to another school or home school. Make a fuss! Remember at Columbine, those kids had told people they were going to shoot up the school. They posted it on a website. How many people would still be alive if it was taken seriously?

NO WAY!! You are not out of line at all! I would call too. In fact that would make me want to home school. The public schools are getting down right scary!!

Update. please

Well, here's a "so far" update!

School superintendant said "I understand your concerns. We are all concerned for the well being of students and staff." duh. "However, according to state law, we have to provide this student with an education, although it will not be in a mainstream class setting."

WHAT?!?!??!?!?!?! The kid shouldn't be allowed back in school!!! Now, he did not say that he would be back in school, but what is that comment supposed to make me think? ARGH!

DD went to school today...apparently this boy is currently in juvenile detention. I don't know if/when he's getting out.

Keep in mind, our superintendant is kind of a weenie. He's old school, does things like they were done YEARS ago, and won't change. My thoughts are that perhaps we need an upgrade in the school district office. (I also found out that his secretary still does shorthand! I haven't seen that in years)

In the meanwhile, I have a pretty good relationship with the principal, and we have been playing phone tag most of the day. I will be signing off here and see if I can catch him in person before school gets out...just wanted to update all of you.

Again, thanks for your support and your prayers...and also, if you could pray for this boy, he needs help. I found out this morning that his father passed away this past fall, and mom is a raging alcoholic. So, while I am upset at all of this, I feel for this boy. (is that nuts, or what??)

Will let you all know when I find out more.............

No, you are not nuts. Sounds like this boy is crying out for SOME HELP and no one is listening to him. He is probably thinking, if I am bad some one will at least pay attention to me!

Good luck...

pcchris said:
He's old school, does things like they were done YEARS ago, and won't change. My thoughts are that perhaps we need an upgrade in the school district office. (I also found out that his secretary still does shorthand! I haven't seen that in years)

Then why doesn't he have the paddle out spanking this boy's butt???!?!?!?!

I remember that our parents used to take us to school and say, "If she dares to act up, don't call us until she's had a good spanking!"

(Needless to say I was an angel...:rolleyes: )

Before anyone jumps down my throat on spankings...I'm comparing now to "back in the day"...just a little humor here in an intense issue...

Call The Police!!!PCCHRIS - I can't even read the posts - because I gasped when I read your first line.

FORGET the school - call the Police - if there is a School/Community Officer - talk to them.

I HAVE BEEN through this - DO NOT - I repeat - DO NOT wait for the school board, principal, superintendnet, etc. to take action....TAKE IT YOURSELF!!!

I work in the judicial system - and we see more threats than you can ever imagine in schools. If you did NOT hear back from the school IMMEDIATELY - you probably won't - doesn't mean "they" are not trying to do something - raise a #$(%&^@#%&*( STINK!!!

My daughters middle-school class was terrorized by a student for 6 hours with a rifle after threatening to DO IT for 2 months!!!!!! One was hurt - nobody died.

WE were lucky.
DON'T WAIT!!

Call the local news and get some information out about it...maybe that will get something done, especially in light of what happened in VA.

I will do it for you!! I can just imagine how stressed out your are with this? If you want, ,my offer still stands whenever you need it!! Just let me know what area you live in and what school. I will call them just telling them there is a child at such and such school and he has made this threat. It has been said that they are probably going to let him back into the school once his out of JD. What can be done.

Okay - here's the latest...with an update from my original post...

First of all...the boy did not shoot someone at school...the 2 boys were hunting birds or something, and the "shooter" got mad because the other boy's cell phone kept ringing. So he put the gun to this other boy's shoulder and shot him. nice, huh? So, I found out today that the boy who was shot (he's ok) was in the hospital for 3 days. Out now, but he's physically okay. (not acceptable behavior, however it's stated) I apologize for not being clear about that...emotions were running high when I typed original post

I talked to the principal today at great length about this situation, here's what I was told:
- the boy is currently under "house arrest" - at home, but monitored VERY closely.
- he has a plea hearing next week, won't know what's going on there until the court system gets in touch with the school.
- a plan is in place in the event that he returns to school - it's a really good plan. The kids won't even know that he's there. (searched, come in to school after everyone's in class...will leave before the rest of school is dismissed, will do work in principal's office, or with the school psychologist...etc etc etc).

It's a horrible situation for all involved. The school district is putting together some kind of notification, but are afraid of breaking privacy laws. (what a joke!)

So, for now, I guess I'm okay with it...as long as I know he's not in the school. Sorry I wasn't clear about the shooting not happening on school grounds. I still feel a need for concern, but it's not as bad as it was. At least it's not consuming my life. (not at this moment, as that could change from hour to hour!)

Thanks for all your support...you have no idea how valuable you all are to me!

Last edited:
Don't feel bad....this past week (my son goes to middle school...7th grade) there was writing on the girls bathroom wall that said, "there's a bomb in the school." Then there was a knife found in the tampon machine with another note and two more notes found after that. It was on a Friday (the writing on the wall ) was found and they excorted all of the kids out of the school onto the buses. Then found the two other notes. My husband is a police officer for the city and was the first one there. They called in dogs from RTA, in Cleveland, OH. We live about 20 miles west of Cleveland. Anyway, by Sunday they had a suspect in mind. Sunday we got a call from the school saying that if my son missed on Monday, it would be excused because of the bomb threat. I guess 39% of the school didn't show up due to the bomb threat. He did go on Tuesday and on Tuesday they had arrested a 56 year old woman. The janitor! She admitted to the threats. I haven't heard anything more....just that she's in jail. That's scary! She's worked for the schools for 21 years! I could not believe that. I guess you never know!

That is crazy if they let that boy go back to school after threatening and ALREADY shooting someone! That's just crazy stuff! Hope all goes well with that. Good luck.

1. What steps can parents take to protect their children from school violence?

Parents can start by having open and honest conversations with their children about school violence and its impact. They should also stay informed about their child's school safety measures and report any concerning behavior or threats to school authorities. Additionally, parents can teach their children about conflict resolution and encourage them to speak up if they see or hear something that doesn't feel right.

2. Should schools implement stricter security measures to prevent school violence?

While it's important for schools to have safety protocols in place, it's also crucial to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for students. Strict security measures, such as metal detectors and armed guards, can make students feel like they are in a prison rather than a place of learning. Schools should focus on addressing underlying issues and promoting positive behavior rather than solely relying on strict security measures.

3. Is it appropriate to allow a student who has committed a violent act back into the school?

Each situation is unique, and the decision should be made by school authorities after a thorough evaluation of the student's behavior and circumstances. It's crucial to provide support and resources to the student to prevent future violent acts. However, the safety and well-being of all students should be the top priority in making this decision.

4. What role can the community play in preventing school violence?

The community can play a significant role in preventing school violence by fostering a supportive and inclusive environment for all students. This includes promoting mental health awareness, addressing bullying and discrimination, and providing resources and support for at-risk students. The community can also work with schools to implement safety measures and provide resources for students who may be struggling with mental health issues or experiencing trauma.

5. How can we help students cope with the fear and anxiety of potential school violence?

It's essential to have open and honest conversations with students about their fears and concerns. Reassure them that their feelings are valid and provide them with coping strategies, such as deep breathing exercises or talking to a trusted adult. Schools can also offer counseling services and create a supportive environment for students to feel safe and supported. It's crucial to address the root causes of school violence and work towards preventing it rather than solely focusing on coping with the fear and anxiety it brings.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • Stampaholic1961
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Stampaholic1961
  • milkangel
  • General Chat
Replies