• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Preparing for My First Cook N Book: Tips and Suggestions

In summary, the Cook N Book was VERY helpful in helping me to learn about products I will be using during my first show this Friday, but I realize I am not yet ready. I am going to use the product cards to help me remember key points and am also going to focus on one product or product line each month to help me learn more.
PCMelissa
Gold Member
I attended a Cook N Book last night. VERY helpful! But, made me realize I am not near ready enough for my first show this Friday! Help! Tell me how you learned about the product.

I think I am going to cheat and put the product cards under each item on the table. And I was thinking of writing out product benefits to help me memorize them. Any other tips/suggestions??

Melissa, product knowledge comes with time. Are you using your kit items while cooking in your own kitchen? Just talk about your personal experience! Talking about the BENEFITS of a product vs. the features is what sells anyway. For example, yes the 8" saute pan has autograph 2 coating, but why is that a benefit? You can cook with less oil and it cleans up so easy! Wouldn't you love to have a pan like that in YOUR kitchen? No more soaking the scrambled egg pan!Have you take the selling skills teleclass. That one is EXCELLENT!

And it's perfectly fine to use the product cards - let people know it's your first show! Then, they can see you don't have to be an expert, or a professional chef to do this!

PCMelissa said:
I attended a Cook N Book last night. VERY helpful! But, made me realize I am not near ready enough for my first show this Friday! Help! Tell me how you learned about the product.

I think I am going to cheat and put the product cards under each item on the table. And I was thinking of writing out product benefits to help me memorize them. Any other tips/suggestions??

That is NOT cheating... be honest and tell your guests that you have so many great things to share with them that since you are new you are going to use the notecards to make sure you cover everything.

For me, picking two or three key points for each product helped me. That way you aren't overwhelmed with the amount of info you "need" to know about each thing.

You can also try to focus your attention for a month on one product or product line. For example - in March you could commit to learning all you can about the cookware... make sure cookware is a PART of every demo and use it at home as often as you can. Then in April, move to something else - stoneware or cutlery. Move on again in May, etc., etc., etc. In just a few months, you will be much more comfortable with each line and feel like you know the products better because you dedicated time to each thing.

Also, pick one or two recipes you will demo each month (or even keep the same recipe for multiple months). You will quickly memorize the recipe and will be able to focus more on the product knowledge.

Of course, everyone is different and you'll have to experiment with various ideas, but it worked for me and I feel I have a much better handle on the products now.

I was terrified I wouldn't know everything I was using also.
Just tell them what you know and as time goes on, you'll learn more and more about the items. Read through the catalog a couple times here and there also.

I believe there's also training online that can help with some items (cookeare and stuff).

I still use cheat sheets at my shows. I used a index card note pad and have revamped my notes several times. This way I keep on track and don't forget certain things. All the knowledge comes from using the products in the kitchen yourself. The more you use the products and the different things you can use them for, the better things you can talk about it during your show. I was listening to a CD and they said rather than talking about the product itself, list three things they can use it for. That way instead of just thinking the deluxe cheese grater grates cheese they know they can use it for carrots, potatoes, chocolate, bread crumbs, etc.

By the way when I went to my director's show, I was floored by all the knowledge she knew about the products. I couldn't see myself ever memorizing any of that. Duh, she's been in the business for over 8 years! It wasn't really memorizing, it was more just knowledge.

Yeah, everyone DOES know it is my first show, so I am sure they will be understanding... I will check out the teleclass Deb, thanks!! Also, Katie, I love the idea of focusing on one product each month. That is a great idea, and is a perfect way for me to learn!! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

My first few shows were more successful because I was so unfamiliar with the products. The customers were more than eager to "teach" me things and each other. The best way to lead into this was during intros. I asked for names and their favorite products and WHY. They were great sales people!!! I tried to recruit, but to no avail. But seriously, being new at PC can be an advantage. :)

Check out the online product courses too... it covers all the items in the consultant kit and highlights features and such. Let folks know it's your first time, they'll understand. I found that by using the items not just at shows but everyday in my own kitchen that helped way more than anything I learned elsewhere though. Also, don't worry if you have to look something up at the show. Folks will appreciate that you can say 'I don't know but let me find out for you'... I do this all the time when folks ask me about prices as though I have the entire catalog memorized.. :eyerolls:... or they'll ask what page that's on when I'm elbow keep in the demo... that's when you get creative and say "a kiss to the first person who finds it" and just have a pocket of Hershey's kisses on you... it's amazing how motivational a little chocolate can be. ;)

4kids4me said:
My first few shows were more successful because I was so unfamiliar with the products. The customers were more than eager to "teach" me things and each other. The best way to lead into this was during intros. I asked for names and their favorite products and WHY. They were great sales people!!! I tried to recruit, but to no avail. But seriously, being new at PC can be an advantage. :)
Great suggestion! When I do introductions I always have the guest tell me what their favorite product is and why. Then I let them talk about it. I'll cover things they don't but it is also great for your guests to hear how good a product is from another guest rather them just you.

And seriously - milk the new thing for as long as you need to. I still tell people "This is only my *insert number* show, and I'm still getting the hang of things. Please be kind to me!"

People are very understanding.

Even almost three years later, I still get tripped up and will often say "let's turn to that product in the catalog and check it out...."PC pays people big bucks to write the stuff, so we might as well use it! :)

DebbieJ said:
Even almost three years later, I still get tripped up and will often say "let's turn to that product in the catalog and check it out...."

PC pays people big bucks to write the stuff, so we might as well use it! :)

I do the same. When I play the ticket game, I'll ask them to find it in the catalog for an extra ticket. I've even had guests tell me that I remember alot, they couldn't imagine trying to remember everything. As for product care, make sure to tell them that all the products come with a use and care guide so they don't have to remember all the info after they get their products.

Melissa, just have fun, is my best advice!

If you don't know an answer, just say so.

At my first show, a guest showed me how to work the measure-all cup. We all got a good laugh out of that. And it's now a running joke with some of my repeat customers that I don't have all the prices & catalog page numbers memorized....and I tell them, I never will.

Related to Preparing for My First Cook N Book: Tips and Suggestions

What should I bring to my first Cook N Book?

It's always a good idea to bring a pen and paper to take notes during the demonstration. You may also want to bring a cooler or insulated bag to transport any perishable ingredients or food items you purchase.

Do I need to have any cooking experience to attend a Cook N Book?

No, absolutely not! Our demonstrations are designed for all levels of cooking experience, from beginners to seasoned chefs. Our consultants will guide you through each step and answer any questions you may have.

Can I purchase products at the Cook N Book event?

Yes, you can purchase any products featured in the demonstration at the event. Our consultants will have a list of available products and will be able to assist you with any purchases or orders.

Should I eat before the Cook N Book event?

We recommend eating a light meal or snack before attending the event. While you will have the opportunity to sample some of the dishes, the focus of the event is on the demonstration and learning about our products.

Can I bring a friend or family member to the Cook N Book?

Of course! We encourage you to bring anyone who is interested in learning more about cooking and our products. Just make sure to RSVP with the number of guests so we can ensure enough space and materials for everyone.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jasmine
  • HealthNut
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
LeslieSGI
  • Jilleysue
  • Products and Tips
Replies