• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pregnancy & Cats: Fact or Myth?

In summary, the cat is not to blame for possible miscarriages and the litter box is important to keep clean.
feather18
Hey My husbad believes that having a cat inside will cause problems with pregnancy. Is that true? I dont think it is. but he said he heard it can cause misscarriages. Also there is the ol wives tale of the litter box. Is there any where that proves this is wrong?

Thanks!:D :love: :love: :D

Just having a cat inside? I had two when I was preggers with DD and no worries. You DO need to worry about cleaning the cat box however. DH did that for me throughout my pregnancy, so I didn't have to worry about... toximaplasmosis I think it's called...

Well, I am no expert. But a friend went in for a sonogram (and has had 2 cats her whole life). There was no heartbeat. Yesterday, sadly she had the D&C prodcedure.

So whatever the myth is, be careful.

I'll have to look it up, but I don't believe having a cat inside can cause miscarriages...however, I *do* know that the litter box can harbor the germ that causes toxoplasmosis which, if contracted while pregnant, can cause miscarriages or serious birth defects and problems with the unborn child.

There is no need to give up your cat, but once pregnant, do not change the litter box (if you have to, wear rubber gloves and wash your hands afterwards). Also, if gardening, wear gloves and again - wash your hands after. (cats may have used your gardening area for a "litter box")

Look it up on the internet, there is a slew of information, but most (if not all) OB's will tell you to not change the litter box. My theory is - better safe than sorry!

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/illness/180.html

Hope that helped! :)

That is not true. It is true about the litter box. Also, if your cat goes outside you need to be careful and wash your hands after petting it. It can get the same toxi-something from digging around and getting after dead birds, mice etc. Best thing to do to ease your mind is call your OB and ask them. We can give you advice, but nothing beats hearing it from your doctor.

vwpamperedchef said:
Well, I am no expert. But a friend went in for a sonogram (and has had 2 cats her whole life). There was no heartbeat. Yesterday, sadly she had the D&C prodcedure.

So whatever the myth is, be careful.
The cat is as much to blame as phases of the moon.

Definitely to the litter box - no to the cats - I had a cat when I was pregnant with my 3 kids and she was an indoor cat - never had any problems - had one miscarriage but that was due to an immature placenta - not my cat.

Check out thisToxoplasmosis: Fact Sheet | CDC Parasitic Diseases

You probably do not have to worry. If you have had cats, odds are you have been exposed to it already, and you have little to worry about. If you are concerned, talk to your doctor. Remeber, your cat has to be infected in order for there to be any possibility of passing it on to you. Read the above page carefully and fully.

I had a cat when I was pregnant, and no one really cared.
Robin

BTW, there is an old wive's tale that you need to be careful of cats stealing baby's breath which has no bearing on fact. Cats have long gotten a bad rap through the centuries. Of course you wouldn't want any animal in the crib with baby but a cat wouldn't want to sit and 'suck' breath from anyone (though waking up with one your chest may feel close, depending on the size of kitty). In fact, most cats tend to steer clear of baby until they figure out the new little creature. My cats could really have cared less for the crying, slobbering and inquisitive yanks that a baby is likely to do to investigate its world.

ok i am a labor and del nurse. The thing is always let your dr know. I also have 2 cats and 2 beautiful kids. If your cats go outside they can be a carrier of a disease that does effect the preg and cause miscarriage. If they do not go out you should not have a prob. The thing with the litter box is that is how it is transmittd so with that said to be safe have your hubby change the litter box. I of course told my ob that i had cats and they do not go out so she said just don't change the box. We had no problems at all. But as always talk to your OB first about things. Do not be afraid to call them that is why they are your Dr. It is their job and you are not bothering them. Better safer than sorry. I hope that helps. I am here if you have any other ?'s

I've had at least one cat in my life since I was 5 yrs old. I had a cat while I was pregnant - and like the others, the only thing my OB advised me not to do was change litter....and she also said that as long as she was an indoor cat, the risk was minimal anyway - but to be on the safe side, not to change the litter.

DH was thrilled.:rolleyes: (Said with a sarcastic tone!)

a cat wouldn't want to sit and 'suck' breath from anyone

I wish someone would inform my 10 week old kitten of this! She's crazy. lol Climbs up on my chest and sticks her mouth right in front of mine, almost touching. I still haven't figured out what she wants.

Good luck, Heather. Men can be pains when it comes to things like this. They believe what they believe and just refuse to listen to reason. Especially if it's something their mothers told them. Congrats on your pregnancy. :)

Don't say a word, KG. ;)

RebelChef said:
I wish someone would inform my 10 week old kitten of this! She's crazy. lol Climbs up on my chest and sticks her mouth right in front of mine, almost touching. I still haven't figured out what she wants.

Good luck, Heather. Men can be pains when it comes to things like this. They believe what they believe and just refuse to listen to reason. Especially if it's something their mothers told them. Congrats on your pregnancy. :)

Don't say a word, KG. ;)

GIRL you are so right. That is exactly how he is. once he thinks it , its the truth, even if its not. and he has to be PROVED wrong first.

Thank you all for the help. I think this will help , hopefully. We are not preg yet, but after our miss, we plan on trying soon. Thank you all again. I hope i get one for christmas!!!!!! :angel:

feather18 said:
I hope i get one for christmas!!!!!! :angel:
A cat or a pregnancy? :)

Wait- I don't think I actually want to know.

Heather, are you in Pineville, Louisiana?

RebelChef said:

Does it mostly happen right after you've eaten tuna?

Yes im in Pineville, and Ann, a cat.. lol. pregnancy would be nice too . lol. i actualyl thought when i wrote that to put cat, but then i thought nah... haha.

No, actually it doesn't. That I could understand because if she smells tuna, she comes running into the kitchen before I can get the can open. It's usually late at night when everyone's in bed and I'm just relaxing, watching tv. She just climbs up and then when she's in my face, meows at me and keeps moving around trying to get closer and closer. I've never had one do this before. Weird cat.

Yes im in Pineville

Cool. You're not far from me. I'll be in Dry Creek next weekend for hubby's family Christmas. He's from DeRidder. :)

RebelChef said:
Weird cat.
Isn't that redundant?

Had to say it. I'm a bird person. :)
bagelbagelbagelbagel

Isn't that redundant?

lol Yes, it is. Maybe I should have said weirder than usual. I've never been a cat person but my kids love them and ignore the dog so when hubby brought this little one home, OF COURSE, she had to live inside. We 'supposedly' only have outside cats to keep the snakes away. Yeah right.

Marisa, that is cool that you are close!!

Yes, it is. Maybe once the holidays are out of the way we can meet for lunch sometime. :)

that would be fuN!

lkprescott said:
And the good news about cats, so I've heard, is that babies raised in households with indoor cats may have a lesser chance for asthma... it's no guarantee mind you but an interesting bit of reading:

Having A Cat May Help Protect Children From Asthma

Not necessarily true. We had a cat when I was pregnant with my son & had the cat while he was an infant. Not only does he still have severe asthma at 13 he just outgrew his severe allergy to cats.

As far as miscarriage, I had one without having a cat & had a full-term with one. Just stay away from the litter box. Which I did anyway. Ewwww!

When I got our second cat, I think he was a little young. He liked to suckle on my earlobe. It was kind of cute, at first, but as he got bigger it started to hurt.

I had him through my first pregnancy - which went just fine. We had to give him up just before our second baby, though, because he had jealousy problems. He was just fine with my DD, but as soon as I would sit down to nurse her he would jump up on the kitchen counter and steal her nooks and bottle nipples and chew them up. He never went on the counter at any other time.

Of course, now that I re-read this - maybe he was just jealous of the whole nursing thing.

fikibiff said:
When I got our second cat, I think he was a little young. He liked to suckle on my earlobe. It was kind of cute, at first, but as he got bigger it started to hurt.

I had him through my first pregnancy - which went just fine. We had to give him up just before our second baby, though, because he had jealousy problems. He was just fine with my DD, but as soon as I would sit down to nurse her he would jump up on the kitchen counter and steal her nooks and bottle nipples and chew them up. He never went on the counter at any other time.

Of course, now that I re-read this - maybe he was just jealous of the whole nursing thing.

And this was a male cat you say? Hmmmm, typical of a man. Just typical. ;) totally kidding, but I couldn't resist. :D

LOL! that is funny. I just love cats, they have such personality. We used to have a cat, Anderson, he hated when i made loud noises, like sneezing or coughing, everytime i would cough or sneez he would get mad, and fuss with a low meow growl thing. it was always so funny. he could be laying with me, and if i sneezed or coughed he would just show is aggervation!! lol. it was soo cute and funny. Thats why i wont one again. They are great!! they purr, and their soft, and they can take care of themselves!! which is nice!!!

Thanks for the input, im pretty sure im having hubby convinced!!!!

YAY!!

Related to Pregnancy & Cats: Fact or Myth?

1. Is it safe to have a cat during pregnancy?

Yes, it is generally safe to have a cat during pregnancy. There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that having a cat can cause miscarriages. However, pregnant women should take precautions to avoid being exposed to certain diseases that can be transmitted by cats, such as toxoplasmosis.

2. Can being around a cat cause harm to the fetus?

No, being around a cat does not pose any harm to the fetus. As long as proper hygiene and precautions are taken, the chances of contracting any illness from a cat are very low. Pregnant women should avoid cleaning the litter box and should wash their hands after handling their cat, just as a precaution.

3. Is it true that pregnant women should not clean the litter box?

Yes, it is recommended that pregnant women avoid cleaning the litter box. Cat feces can contain a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii, which can cause toxoplasmosis. This can have serious consequences for the developing fetus. However, if no one else can clean the litter box, pregnant women can do so while wearing gloves and washing their hands thoroughly afterwards.

4. Can a cat cause a miscarriage?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that a cat can cause a miscarriage. While pregnant women should take precautions to avoid being exposed to certain diseases, there is no need to get rid of a cat during pregnancy.

5. Are there any other risks associated with having a cat during pregnancy?

Aside from the risk of toxoplasmosis, there are no other significant risks associated with having a cat during pregnancy. As long as proper hygiene and precautions are taken, pregnant women can safely enjoy the companionship of their cat.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kaiser
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • DebbieSAChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
heather223
  • MissChef