• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Please Pray for My Son...sorry, Kinda Long

In summary, Kristen's son has recently been diagnosed with ADHD and a sensory integration disorder. He is 9 years old. He is struggling with these new challenges and her heart is breaking for him.
Chefstover2
I'm at my wits end...my 9yo ds has recently been diagnosed with mild ADHD and a sensory integration disorder (he gets distracted by noises, smells, sounds, textures, etc. making it hard for him to concentrate). Things were going well once we started him on a low dosage of medication and started taking him to occupational therapy.

Last week he indicated something was bothering him but wouldn't reveal what it was (he did say it did not involve another person or something he did). He began getting very angry at us and taking it out on the house (slamming doors, throwing things, etc.). Still he refused to tell us what was bothering him, even after we offered to have him talk to someone else.

It's getting worse and I don't know what to do. My heart is breaking for him. It's like he feels he has to carry the weight of whatever this is by himself. I'm scared for his safety, well-being and as a mother it's killing me because I can't fix it!

Any prayers you can send our way are gratefully accepted. Thanks for letting me "spill".

I will pray that a Christian ear that your son would open up to enters into his life. I will pray for you and your husband in this time. Sending prayers of peace your way!

I'll keep in prayer, Kristen.

Kristen, my prayer go to your son and your whole family. You will find a way to cope with this. I'd check with the doctor again to keep him/her posted what is going on. You can handle this.

you're in my thoughts.. Mom's are amazingly strong in situations regarding their kids, I'm sure you will be too..

Kristin - so sorry to hear. Please report that to the doctor and get him checked. Often in young kids, ADHD medications cause anger, depression and other side-effects. They will have to do some checking and adjustment for one possibly.Also, we'll pray that he opens up to you!

Kristin:

My son was diagnosed with Sensory Integration Dysfunction at age 3--he's 20 now. He never was diagnosed with ADHD (although many kids with SI ARE), but he was diagnosed with ADD and Asperger's Syndrome. I homeschooled him the whols 12 years and at one time was actually studying to be an Occupational Therapist because it was so fascinating to me (he received SI therapy, which is a form of OT for 8 years). I know a lot about SI and also Aspbergers. We are Christians in our family, as is our son.

He's 9 (your son), so my guess is that this is a whole new thing to him and he is feeling out of sorts and realizing that he is different--and now it has a name. This is kind of a good new/bad news story for these kids, especially boys for some reason. I want to recommend a book for you to read: you can get it at any Barnes and Noble or Borders, or order it online. It's all about SI and explains it from the child's perspective and it's kind of like "this is what it feels like to be your kid when this happens and this is what you can do to help them" type of thing. The woman who wrote it is an OT specializing in SI. The name of the book is "The Out-Of-Sync Child" by Carol Stock Kranowitz, and it is a paperback. I read every book I ever found on SI and this one came out when my son was a pre-teen--it's a phenominal book and will answer a ton of questions for you.

I will pray for your son, and for your family. Please feel free to email me any time I can help or answer questions for you. My son is now 20 and in college--still a challenge, especially in the organization areas of school, but he's going to be ok. Hang in there. And get that book!

Hey sweetie~I will pray for you & your son~you are a great mom and you will be the support he needs, whatever that may be!!!

Call if you need to vent!

I will pray for you also! Our son is 6 and just got diagnosed over the summer with ADHD. He just doesn't stop. I am a little scared to put him on meds and I am sort of waiting to see how he does this year. I will know better after the parent teacher meeting in November. He seems to be grasping things better this year though so I also have hope. Hang in there. Prayers heading your way girl. I feel your pain.:angel:

More prayers coming for you and your son.

Praying for you and your son.

Praying that all goes well. I know how difficult it can be. My son is 14 & we just found out last year that he (possibly) has Asperger's Syndrome. After reading your post (& looking up SID) I believe he may have this as well. He was dignosed with dyslexia at age 10. For most of his life we have struggled with different "issues" but nothing seemed to work. He has had numerous tests and was originally diagnosed with ADHD; however, none of the meds ever worked. We had to give him additional meds to get him to sleep. After putting him on strict diet (gluten-free/casein-free) he no longer takes meds to sleep. He no longer needs meds for ADHD. I continue to pray for him everyday. I am so glad that I read your post this morning. I will be calling his DAN (defeat autism now) doctor to get some testing appts. scheduled.

Sorry to hijack. I just wanted to share some of my experiences to help those dealing with the same issues. Your son could be sensitive/allergic to his meds if he is showing signs of anger. I had that reaction with a prescription I had once. Found out it was an allergic reaction.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD at age 3. He is now 18 1/2. He was put on meds and we also used a LCSW to help him with "issues". We used an anger outlet like a special pillow that he could hit when he was angry, he learned to play chess with his LCSW and was taught strategy lessons for everyday life thru this. Also he was encouraged to play sports and exert excess energy by jumping rope and bouncing on a rebounder. I also asked his teachers to let him get up and walk in the class by picking up papers for her, being the "runner" to the office, etc. It worked very well when things were scheduled and he knew his boundaries. But when he had a teacher that wasn't organized, or didn't announce when they were changing things, he didn't respond well. Also like Stacy, he was put on a gluten-free diet. He was/is also allergic to red dyes and petroleum products. New carpets, vitamins, some pills, tires, etc are triggers to him. Staying on task was difficult too. But now he has outgrown a lot of these and has matured so that he is better able to handle his emotions. We took him off his meds after the 3rd grade.

At times it was a very difficult struggle, but that is part of him and I would not want to change it. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. And like someone else said "for a Christian ear" to hear him. You are a great mother who loves her child. You are the best for him. Focus on the positive with him, but these kids are very smart and will see thru a person who is not genuine. Reinforce his good behavior and address the negative behavior. They need to know that the behavior is "bad or not acceptable" and not them. Love goes a long way.

God Bless you and your family.

Related to Please Pray for My Son...sorry, Kinda Long

1. What exactly is "Please Pray for My Son...sorry, Kinda Long" about?

"Please Pray for My Son...sorry, Kinda Long" is a heartfelt story about a mother's love and her son's struggles with a serious illness. It highlights the power of prayer and the importance of support during difficult times.

2. Is this story based on a true event?

Yes, "Please Pray for My Son...sorry, Kinda Long" is based on a true event. The author shares her personal experience with her son's illness and how prayer played a significant role in their journey.

3. How can I support someone going through a similar situation?

One of the best ways to support someone going through a difficult time is to offer your prayers and words of encouragement. You can also offer practical support, such as helping with household tasks or providing a listening ear.

4. Can I purchase this story as a gift for someone?

Yes, "Please Pray for My Son...sorry, Kinda Long" is available for purchase as a gift for someone. It can be found on various online bookstores and can also be ordered through Pampered Chef consultants.

5. Is there a message or lesson that readers can take away from this story?

Yes, "Please Pray for My Son...sorry, Kinda Long" teaches readers the power of prayer and the importance of having a strong support system during difficult times. It also reminds us to never lose hope and to trust in the strength of our faith.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • cathyskitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Hathery
Back