1. Want to buy your holiday gifts AND support Chef Success seamlessly in the process? If you click a merchant link like amazon or ebay on Chef Success, Chef Success in turn receives 7% of that purchase. Click here for the merchant list. It's easy!

Pina colada upside-down cake

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by nikki70563, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikki70563

nikki70563 Gold Member

anyone made this cake - how did you like it, and what did you make it in?

2. nikki70563

nikki70563 Gold Member

anyone????

3. almondfarm

almondfarm Gold Member

I have made it twice, it is wonderful. I followed the recipe except I used the canned pineapple rings instead of the fresh pineapple. I did make sure to use the DARK brown sugar, and every last crumb got eaten both times :)

4. I made it in the Exec. skillet. I used light brown sugar & pineapple cake mix. It turned out fine.

5. I haven't made it yet, but I did eat it at my cluster meeting last month and it was delicious. :love:

6. PamperedChefDebi

PamperedChefDebi Silver Member

I've made it a few times using the pineapple rings and everyone LOVED it!!!

7. nikki70563

nikki70563 Gold Member

do you think it can be done in microwave in fluted stone?

8. bsaxman

bsaxman Silver Member

I dont think anyone has tried this yet! i have posted this question on like 3 different threads and no one is responding to it! I think one of us is just going to have to experiment and post the results! :D

9. Do you think this would be a good demo recipe? Or is the bake time too long?

10. almondfarm

almondfarm Gold Member

It would be a GREAT 2nd recipe to demo - I only demo the flipping out part for skillet cakes usually. But doesn' t use a lot of tools to make it so you would either want to do the potato demo with it or make another recipe with it.

11. nikki70563

nikki70563 Gold Member

Well I think I will try it sat for my spring/summer kickoff show if it doesn't come out right it won't be a big deal because it will be mostly family and may some customers from previous shows. How long would you think to cook it in microwave?

12. bsaxman

bsaxman Silver Member

I have a brand-new microwave, and I do microwave cakes ALL THE TIME in my bundt stone, and I usually do it for 11 minutes. Any longer and it is too dry... but I'm not sure about this recipe, because it's a little more complex then my normal microwave cakes... PLEASE let me know how it turns out!!

13. nikki70563

nikki70563 Gold Member

I will try it sat and post the results on sun. or mon.

14. nikki70563

nikki70563 Gold Member

I made it for my show that was on sat. don't have the pictures with me I'm at work will try to post tonight or later during the week and also post how I made it because I did it in the microwave - everyone said it was good.

15. I made it using fresh pineapple. We thought it was so yummy, but one side kinda collapsed. My husband said it was the best pineapple upside down cake he had ever had as he was shoveling it in. I need to give it a try again.

Question - the pineapple was a bit tough, so when we went to cut it the cake was a mess. Any suggestions to make the pineapple more tender (thinner slices maybe), or what knife should I use. I have most of the knives.

16. KellyTheChef

KellyTheChef Gold Member

If it's hard to cut through the pineapple, I would think the bread knife may work. Just keep using the sawing motion and not so much pressure...allow the blade to do the work! HTH

17. Is this cake the bomb or what?! One of my hosts tried making it before I did! She used tidbits instead of rings so it was easy to cut through, and the flavor was so awesome! It is a keeper! But, I am a sucker for anything pina-colada flavored. MMMM.

18. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Gold Member

At my show on Monday, I wondered if the tidbits wouldn't make it easier - but it just looks so darn pretty when you flip it out. the Oooohhhs and Aaahhhhs!

But then, I was having a hard time getting the coconut to stick to the sides, so I just sprinkled it over the top, so that hid the prettiness anyway.

It was wonderful though, I rarely eat at my shows, but I had to try a tiny piece of this...mmmmmmm! I keep thinking I need to make it for home - but it's so big......

19. nikki70563

nikki70563 Gold Member

Ok I need help on how to post the pictures??

20. nikki70563

nikki70563 Gold Member

Here is how I made it and when I figure out how to post pictures I will do it.

Heat 1 stick of butter and 1 cup dark brown sugar in 8'' Saute Pan till disolved. Mix Duncan Hines yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, and 1 15 oz. can (brand Coco Lopez) Cream of Coconut, and 1 tsp rum extract in Batter Bowl. Next grease Fluted Stone and put five pineapple rings with cherries in each hole, then pour tepid mixture from saute pan and spoon cake batter on top and microwave 11 or more minutes (I did mine 10 minutes, then 2 minutes at a time for a total time of 16 minutes because middle was not cooked good enough) It looked dry but it wasn't. Then garnish with leftover pineapples and coconut flakes.

21. bsaxman

bsaxman Silver Member

So when you flipped the cake over, did you have any problems with it sticking or coming out like an ewie-gooie mess, or did it look pretty normal??

22. Bren706

Bren706 Gold Member

"1 15 oz. can (brand Coco Lopez) Cream of Coconut"

Is this what you are using for the unsweetened coconut milk? Where has everyone found the unsweetened coconut milk?

23. I used Goya (can be found on the international food aisle). I just made this yesterday and served it today for dessert. We all loved it! So easy and yummy! I just wished I could convince my Mom that she really could use the Skillet and could make her own! She claims she is "too old" for anything with a lifetime guarentee, yet she used her grill pan 2-3 times a week( a gift from me with the Grill Press)!
    Jessica

24. COCO LOPEZ is not the same thing as unsweetened coconut milk!

25. nikki70563

nikki70563 Gold Member

Nope it just came out without a problem I greased the stone real good because I really hadn't used it much since I got it maybe once or twice and it didn't stick like when I had did the upside down pineapple cake in another consultants stone and her's was seasoned more then mine I let it sit for about 15 or so minutes before I flipped out. I can post a picture but don't know how?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.