• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Overcoming Age Stereotypes in Recruiting: My Story

In summary, the person is struggling with their age and recruiting, as they can easily recruit people around their age but have been told by others that they are "too old" or "too young" for the business. They are unsure of how to handle this and are trying not to take it personally. The expert suggests inviting people to team meetings or opportunity nights to showcase their skills and training, proving that age does not matter. They also encourage the person to continue inviting and not let age discourage them, as they have successfully recruited people of all ages.
PamperedK
Silver Member
I've been struggling with my age and recruiting for a while. I can recruit young people, who are around my age into their early 30s. I do have 2 'older' ladies on my team. I'm constantly told by people that they're "too old" to do this business. And I was just told by a recruit lead that she signed with someone else because I'm too young for her!

How do I get around this. I think I'm mature for my age. I talk about the various types of people that do this business, as well as the different people on my team...I'm not sure what to do! I'm trying not to take that other comment personally but it's a bit hard.

If people are seeing you that way sometimes it is impossible to get around. Invite them to your team meeting or your opportuntiy night so they can see you in action. You might be having such a good time they don't see you as being a serious business woman. But, when they can experience your training and see your level of commitment, your age will not matter.

Koolotus said:
If people are seeing you that way sometimes it is impossible to get around. Invite them to your team meeting or your opportuntiy night so they can see you in action. You might be having such a good time they don't see you as being a serious business woman. But, when they can experience your training and see your level of commitment, your age will not matter.

You're probably right. I will continue to invite and hope that someone takes me up on it. I just hate knowing that someone isn't joining because of my age when I know I'm fully capable of helping them get everything they want out of this business. I especially hate knowing that they might sign with someone else simply becuase they're older and not because they'd be a better Director.

That's why it is important to talk about your team, the support you give and to INVITE them to check it out. If anyone mentions that again, ask them to come test drive your meeting and see the age span and wealth of info they will have access to.
Good luck!
xoxo

Don't let it discourage you. I am pretty young, I was only 22 when I signed(that was over 4 years ago now). Now lucky for me people think I am older, but I have signed over 22 people and many of them were over double my age. Just keep telling them what you offer for your team and people will sign with you. Also don't be intimidated by someone older, I mentioned to my sister last week that when I started most of my recruits were older than me and recently I have been surprised that many are younger than me so who knows?

1. How did you start your journey of overcoming age stereotypes in recruiting?

I started my journey by realizing that age stereotypes exist in recruiting and acknowledging the impact it has on both older and younger job seekers. I then actively sought out resources and strategies to address and overcome these stereotypes.

2. What are some common age stereotypes that you have encountered in recruiting?

Some common stereotypes that I have encountered include the belief that older workers are less adaptable and tech-savvy, while younger workers are less experienced and less committed.

3. How did you use your personal experiences to combat age stereotypes in recruiting?

I shared my personal experiences and successes in the workforce at different ages to showcase that age does not determine one's skills or abilities. I also emphasized the value of diverse perspectives and the benefits of a multi-generational workplace.

4. What advice do you have for recruiters to overcome age stereotypes?

My advice would be to focus on skills, experience, and qualifications rather than age. Also, actively seek out and consider candidates of all ages to create a well-rounded and diverse team. Finally, educate yourself and your team on the impact of age stereotypes in recruiting and how to address them.

5. How can companies promote a culture that values diversity in age?

Companies can promote a culture that values diversity in age by implementing policies and practices that support a multi-generational workforce, providing opportunities for different age groups to interact and learn from each other, and actively promoting and celebrating the contributions of workers of all ages.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janezapchef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
  • Kelly8
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Sheila