• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New York Vs. Chicago Style Pizza

In summary, this program on the travel channel about NY vs. Chicago pizza showcases a couple of stoneware pieces. Everyone can vote on their favorite pizza. Chicago is considered the birthplace of pizza. The show outline is to come up with a Chicago pizza recipe that is similar to a real Chicago pizza.
bridedream
I'm watching a program on the travel channel about NY vs. Chicago pizza. I think this might work as a show... It would showcase a couple of stoneware pieces. Everyone could vote on their favorite...

Has anyone done this? Any good deep dish pizza recipes out there?

What a cool idea! That would be great as a fall/winter show, especially down here because it is way too hot to do that during the summer. I love the idea!

I hope someone comes up with a great Chicago Pizza recipe. I can make NY pizza in my sleep.

I agree it might be better in the fall. I definitely need a deep dish recipe, though. I'm going to give this some thought and come up with a show outline.

Oh man, if you could find a recipe close to a real Chicago pizza, PLEASE share it here! I fell in love with it last year at Conference. :)

Would you bake the deep dish in the 12 inch skillet?

What would be a good pan to use to bake it in? Stoneware Deep Dish Baker? I don't have one of those, so I'm not sure on the size of it.

pampchefsarah said:
Would you bake the deep dish in the 12 inch skillet?

Ah, that might be a good choice. :)

I was thinking the Deep Dish Baker, but I suppose the skillet would work, too!

I'm just thinking it might be difficult to get it out of the Baker in one piece! Plus, the picture in the article made me think of the Skillet. :chef::D

I found this recipe for a Chicago stuffed crust pizza made in the deep dish baker with frozen pizza dough.. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I sure don't want to mess with making the dough.http://petersonfamilyhome.com/?p=231There's a PC recipe in More Stoneware Sensations on Pg. 54. It doesn't look like it's still available. I wonder if anyone has this cookbook..

Here's one I got from allrecipes.com. It uses frozen bread dough...I think I might try it this weekend.Ingredients * 1 (1 pound) loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
* 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
* 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
* 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
* 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheeseDirections 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Crumble the sausage into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon, and sprinkle over the dough crust. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the sausage.
3. Add mushrooms, peppers and onions to the skillet; cook and stir until the onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper if using. Spoon over the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
4. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crust is golden brown.

Just a note- true Chicago-style has the cheese as the first layer. Everything else is on top of that, with the tomato/sauce as the LAST layer. It's reverse of how most pizzas are built.

esavvymom said:
Just a note- true Chicago-style has the cheese as the first layer. Everything else is on top of that, with the tomato/sauce as the LAST layer. It's reverse of how most pizzas are built.

That's what I thought when I first saw the recipe. But being as I am from Philly, not Chicago... Thanks for the info!

Related to New York Vs. Chicago Style Pizza

What is the difference between New York and Chicago style pizza?

New York style pizza is known for its large, thin, and crispy crust that is typically hand-tossed and topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Chicago style pizza, also known as deep-dish pizza, has a thick and buttery crust with layers of toppings, including cheese, sauce, and other ingredients.

Which style of pizza is more popular?

This is a highly debated topic and ultimately comes down to personal preference. However, New York style pizza is typically more popular and widely available in the United States, while Chicago style pizza is more popular in the Midwest.

What types of toppings are typically used on New York and Chicago style pizza?

New York style pizza typically uses traditional toppings such as pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, and onions. Chicago style pizza often features heartier toppings like Italian sausage, peppers, onions, and a thicker layer of cheese.

How is New York style pizza cooked compared to Chicago style pizza?

New York style pizza is cooked in a high-temperature brick oven for a short amount of time, resulting in a crispy crust. Chicago style pizza is cooked in a deep-dish pan for a longer amount of time, allowing for the thick crust to fully cook and the toppings to meld together.

Can I get both New York and Chicago style pizza at Pampered Chef?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers a variety of pizza pans and tools that can be used to make both New York and Chicago style pizza at home. Check out our selection of pizza stones and pans, as well as our pizza cutter and serving tools for the ultimate pizza-making experience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcmckay
  • Sell Pampered Chef Items
Replies
Views
Sheilainwv
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
  • Kristen