• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Navigating Conflict of Interest Policies: Insider Tips from a Detroit Recruiter

In summary, the individual is trying to find a way around the conflict of interest statement that is required of employees at their company. Their friend works for GM and is trying to get into a jewelry company, but is not sure if it is actually legal. The individual works in HR and says that it is legal as long as the conflict of interest statement is a pre-employment stipulation that the employee knew about.
finley1991
Here's a new one! (Well, not so new here in Detroit!)I have a potential who is planning on signing in the next month or two. Actually, she wants to wait until her performance review (April) before she signs because she's afraid if she signs, she won't get her annual raise.At her company, along with some others in my area (automotive mostly), they have their employees sign a conflict of interest statement. If they are salaried (which most are), they can't hold another paying job outside of their main employment or if they do hold another job, they are not eligible for additional compensation. Basically, the companies have their employees by the you-know-whats so they can have them be available to work 24/7 without overtime. I was in a situation like that myself in a previous job, but I wasn't required to sign anything. I worked for them a minimum of 60 hrs a week and was never compensated above my salary.A friend of mine who works for GM wanted to get in to one of the jewelry companies and asked me if I knew a way around it. From what I gather, it's not *really* legal, but people are so desperate to keep their jobs, they're doing anything asked of them.Has anyone had any experience with this?

I can't see how this can be legal. It also depends on the state because labor laws are different in each state.

Wow. Labor board time.

Call the local labor board & ask! I've never heard of such a thing in Texas.

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure of the exact wording... knowing how legal departments work, I'm sure it's worded so the companies aren't doing anything illegal per se, but it's discouraging that their employees can't do whatever they want on their own time..!

"I'm sure it's worded so the companies aren't doing anything illegal per se, but it's discouraging that their employees can't do whatever they want on their own time..!"

Pretty sure they call that slavery....

Nanisu said:
Pretty sure they call that slavery....

I'm sure they would agree! I referred to it as *being held hostage*...

It's sad but so many are so afraid of losing their jobs no matter what because everything here is so unstable, those with jobs don't want to take any chances. Which I can understand...

I have had a few people say that to me here in Ohio. They are usually very tight lipped about it, but they tell me that their job doesn't allow them to work any other jobs. I was curious about it but like I said they haven't even been willing to tell me where they worked.

just curious - but is "owning your own business" the same as working another job?

pamperedlinda said:
just curious - but is "owning your own business" the same as working another job?

The hiccup and how it's defined is *earning income from another source*. It's so bizarre!!

I work in HR and I'm pretty sure its legal as long as it was a pre-employment stipulation that they knew they were getting into when they accepted the job. In the HR world we like to say, "Just because it's legal, doesn't make it right." Just like in Pennsylvania we are an "At Will" state so I can technically go into work tomorrow and fire someone just b/c I want to and its legal. Again, not right but legal. Gotta love employment laws and rights. :)

Melissa78 said:
I can technically go into work tomorrow and fire someone just b/c I want to

LOL!!! How many times have you felt like doing that!!!! :p

finley1991 said:
LOL!!! How many times have you felt like doing that!!!! :p

LOL - too many!!!! Trust me, there are MANY "trying" days in the world of HR. So many days I simply say, "I hate people!" hehe

What is a conflict of interest?

A conflict of interest occurs when an individual or organization is involved in multiple interests, one of which could possibly corrupt their judgment or actions in regard to the other interest. It can create a situation where the individual's loyalty and responsibilities are divided.

How does a conflict of interest affect Pampered Chef?

A conflict of interest can potentially harm the reputation and integrity of Pampered Chef. It can also create legal and ethical issues that could result in financial losses. Therefore, it is important for all employees to be aware of and actively avoid any conflicts of interest.

What are some examples of conflicts of interest at Pampered Chef?

Some common examples of conflicts of interest at Pampered Chef may include receiving gifts or favors from a supplier, conducting business with a family member or close friend, or being involved in a competing business.

What is Pampered Chef's policy on conflicts of interest?

Pampered Chef has a strict policy on conflicts of interest. Employees are expected to disclose any potential conflicts of interest to their supervisor or HR department. If a conflict is identified, steps will be taken to mitigate it and ensure that the company's best interests are prioritized.

What should I do if I am unsure about a potential conflict of interest?

If you are unsure about a potential conflict of interest, it is always best to disclose it to your supervisor or HR department. They can provide guidance and help you navigate the situation in an ethical and compliant manner.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedbecky
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • wadesgirl
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • Kathytnt