• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Name Tags: Pros & Cons of Using Them

In summary, Becky believes that name tags are mostly for her use, and that if there is a large crowd, she might get a volunteer to help her with the tags. She also believes that it's helpful to remember people's faces.
AJPratt
Silver Member
I have name tags and used them a couple of times, but I have gotten away from it. I'm wondering... Who uses name tags and any pros/cons to that?

I don't use name tags just because most of the people at my shows know each other. I have seen the thing about Christy Chopper and Sherri Paring knife, but I think that is kinda cheesy! If no one knew each other I think it would be a plus to get them to talk to each other and sell, sell, sell!

I personal don't use name tags...all of the shows that I done everyone already knows each other so Ididn't see the point..... But I have them introduce themselves so I know their names and how they know the hostest.... etc and ect ect...

I don't use name tags, but I probably should since I can barely remember my own name.

Depends on the party for me - if I know them all and they all know each other - of course I dont use name tags. At other parties - YES. My Director has them write their first name and the name of their favorite PC product on their name tag. So - during the party she can see it and she will say "Suzi Food Chopper, tell us why you like the food chopper so much!" Its pretty cute and I agree pretty cheesy, but it works great for her!

Last edited:
I want to use them, just haven't found the time...that's really odd now that I actually work at an office supply company...but, details!

The name tags aren't for the guests, they're for me! lol Most people do know each other. I just can't remember the names like I used to.

I've used name tags for 5 years. I love it! I'm not great with names, but you'll be surprised (as will your customers) how many times you remember a person's name when you run into them outside of a show.

I don't put any "cheesy" product names on them. I just ask them to write thier first name, large enough for me to read from where I am standing. I use their names when I'm talking to them during the presentation.

When they arrive (and if it's a group not yet familiar with me) I explain that I'm the "mean Pampered Chef Lady" and I make them wear name tags. No one seems to mind and it is useful for me.

How ironic that I just read this thread.....I have been thinking about using name tags.....and yesterday I read a thread that said "remember people's names & use them - no matter what". I decided yesterday that I was going to start using name tags (like Anne said - for me, not for the guests) because I have a bad memory - and because I know that for myself, I am a visual learner....if I write the guests names down, and then read them & use their names during the show, while I'm talking to them, I have a much better chance of remembering them! So I voted YES for using nametags (haven't yet - but have determined I am going to from now on!:) )

Thanks Jeanine!

Becky: I think we read the same thread. I especially feel awful when someone is spending money with me and I don't remember even the first letter of their name.

I try to do the name tags myself, that way I might actually stand a chance of remembering. If there's a big crowd, sometimes I get a volunteer to do it. If you have a good host, they have people from different walks and they won't know each other, but I agree with Anne...the nametags are mostly for ME!

AJPratt said:
Thanks Jeanine!

Becky: I think we read the same thread. I especially feel awful when someone is spending money with me and I don't remember even the first letter of their name.

Especially when they have JUST introduced themselves to me......makes me feel so self-centered! I know how I feel when someone remembers my name....I want to be that kind of person!

Thanks to those who posted about writing out the tags myself. . .I've gotten away from doing this and I do think it helps us to remember.

" Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language."
--- Dale Carnegie

I knew I learned something in that class. :0

I think it's an easy way to remember a name and although I have a pretty good memory - it's sometimes hard to place where you met a person. My very first show - there was this girl there very intently listening in the front row. The show was on a Friday night and the next week my daughter started a tumbling class at the park district - and sure enough this girl was there with her daughter. We both kept looking at each other with familiarity. When I finally figured out who she was and asked if she was at a Pampered Chef show last Friday - she said oh you were there too? And I said yes - I was the consultant!! Then she remembered and couldn't believe she had forgotten as she was listening so closely. I think name tags definitely help with newer groups (and larger) of people. I like when people remember my name and when I can remember their name - I think it makes a good impression.

Gina Miller

I felt bad the other night. I had a show with 28 people. They were all nameless to me. They all introudced themselves and I remembered a few, but that was it.

I AWAYS use name tags! I love them. I could never remember a bunch of names especially when I'm trying to remember what to say at my shows. I use the name tags also during the show. I write the names of the products I'm going to use during the demo on a corner of the name tags before I give them to everyone. Then during the demo whenever it comes time to use the products written on their name tags they come up and use it for me. Its a great way t get people involved and I rarely have anyone refuse. I have also played the "got it, love it" game and instead of throwing candy or scrapers at the guests; I have the host put star stickers on their name tags. The person with the most stars on their tag at the end of the show gets a gift. Have I mentioned I LOVE name tags! :p

I have to use nametags!! I would feel so stupid if I didn't. I am always calling on people to particiapte, and keep in mind some days I can't remember my kids names. I feel so much more professional when I know I can call them by name. Plus, after I stare at the nametags all night, I can remember the name better for the future, then if I run into them somewhere else at a later date, I have a better chance of being able to call them by their names.

Where to you put the name tags/how do you get guests to use them?

I usually hand them a nametag as they are sitting down, and ask them to write their name on it. I usually make some joke about how bad I am with names, and they graciously put them on.

28 people .... I wish my parties had attendance like that...

I was thrilled. She invited 53.:eek:

I have name tags but don't use them. Only because I usually forget I have them.

a consultant at our cluster meeting came up with a FAB thing to do that involves nametags!

Basically prewrite on some of them the products you are using that night, so for example FC in the corner of one of the tags (food chopper), MS for mix 'n scraper etc etc. During the show when you talk about the food chopper and are getting ready to demo ask everyone to check their nametags for an FC and whoever has it is then your volunteer to come up and use the product. Gets a few people involved and means you're not waiting for someone to volunteer as you've sort of pre-picked them.

I'm trying this on Friday at my next show.

That is a neat idea!

Muppetgal said:
a consultant at our cluster meeting came up with a FAB thing to do that involves nametags!

Basically prewrite on some of them the products you are using that night, so for example FC in the corner of one of the tags (food chopper), MS for mix 'n scraper etc etc. During the show when you talk about the food chopper and are getting ready to demo ask everyone to check their nametags for an FC and whoever has it is then your volunteer to come up and use the product. Gets a few people involved and means you're not waiting for someone to volunteer as you've sort of pre-picked them.

I'm trying this on Friday at my next show.

Let us know how it goes.

Related to Name Tags: Pros & Cons of Using Them

What are the pros of using name tags?

1. Easy identification: Name tags make it easy for customers and colleagues to identify each other, especially in a large group setting or event.

2. Professionalism: Wearing a name tag can give off a professional and polished image, which can be beneficial for businesses.

3. Personalization: Name tags can be customized with different designs or fonts, allowing individuals to showcase their personality.

4. Networking: Name tags can facilitate networking by making it easier for individuals to approach and strike up conversations with others.

5. Customer service: Name tags can improve customer service by allowing customers to easily identify and address employees by name.

What are the cons of using name tags?

1. Privacy concerns: Some individuals may feel uncomfortable sharing their full name or personal information on a name tag.

2. Damage to clothing: Name tags can cause damage to delicate clothing, especially if they have sharp pins or adhesives.

3. Replacement costs: Name tags can get lost or damaged easily, leading to additional costs for replacement.

4. Misidentification: In some cases, name tags can lead to misidentification if they are not properly checked or if they fall off.

5. Inclusivity: For individuals with unique names or those who prefer to go by a different name, name tags may not accurately reflect their identity.

Are there any alternatives to using name tags?

Yes, there are alternatives to using name tags such as lanyards, buttons, or even simply introducing oneself to others.

How can I make sure my name tag is effective?

1. Use legible font and font size: Make sure your name tag is easy to read from a distance.

2. Include relevant information: Depending on the setting, you may want to include your full name, title, or company name on your name tag.

3. Consider design and color: Choose a design and color that reflects your personality or aligns with your brand image.

4. Keep it professional: Avoid using nicknames or inappropriate language on your name tag.

5. Wear it properly: Make sure your name tag is visible and securely attached to your clothing.

Can I wear my own name tag to a Pampered Chef event?

At Pampered Chef events, we provide name tags for all attendees. However, if you have a personalized name tag that you prefer to use, you are welcome to wear it as long as it follows our guidelines for effective name tags.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefDi
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
baychef
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • BeckyC5830
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies