• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Molasses Cookie Recipes Wanted for Christmas Eve!

In summary, a member of the group is looking for a good molasses cookie recipe to use up a bottle of molasses. They ask for suggestions from other members, who offer various recipes, including a molasses/ginger snap cookie recipe from the person's mother, a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens for chocolate gingerbread drops, and a prize-winning molasses cookie recipe from another member's grandmother. The conversation also includes tips on baking and using specific ingredients. The original poster expresses gratitude for the recipes and mentions that they are also looking for a molasses or ginger cake recipe.
Kitchen Diva
Gold Member
Hi everyone. I realize that it may be too late to ask this, but does anyone have a good molassess cookie recipe? I had to buy a bottle of molasses for some baked beans I'm making for our Family's Christmas Eve celebration... I normally don't keep molasses in the house, and would like to use it up by having a cookie recipe.

I looked in the files and nothing came up, so I thought I'd check in with my fellow cheffers and see what I could see.

:) Soft or crunchy, drop or icebox, rolled or iced- doesn't matter, I'll take any recipe into consideration.

Thanks so much guys!:chef:

I have a fantastic one from my mom but most of my recipes are missing... I'm hoping that this one is up in my cabinet cuz we had planned to make them tomorrow. These are the BEST molasses/ginger snap cookies out there! They are a just barely crispy on the outside but soft and chewy and so yummy... let me go hunting for that recipe

Mom's Molasses Cookies

3/4 cup shortening (Mom uses 6 Tbls. Marg/Butter & 6 Tbls Crisco)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
1 dash vanilla

MIX these together well
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves (okay.. I RARELY have this and they are great without it)
3/4 teaspoon ginger

Add these ingredients to the mixture of the first 5.
Form into walnut sized balls
Roll in granulated sugar
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes

Makes about 4 dozen ( depending on how big you think a walnut is)
Mom says its the mixture of the butter and crisco that "makes" these so great!

ETA: I came to correct my mom's spelling of Molasses guess she was thinking of some donkey's
or something ... :) anyway... I realized I had left out the MOLASSES from the recipe so not it's corrected! Sorry!

Last edited:
I'd love an excellent molasses cookie! Thanks!

There is one in the December Better Homes and Gardens. I'll post it later if you want. It calls for chocolate chunks and dried cherries. I made them last night and they are excellent. They are soft, too.

I just edited the recipe to correct a mistake of my mom's and then of my own so if you already copied it... GO BACK! :) Sorry!

Chocolate Gingerbread Drops
1/2 cup shortening (I used butter)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour ( I added an extra 1/4 cup flour because I used butter)
1/2 cup dried tart cherries (chopped with chef's knife if needed)
3 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped into chunks (with chef's knife)

Preheat oven to 375. In large mixing bowl beat shortening with electric mixer on medium to high speed 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking soda, ginger, allspice, and salt; beat until combined. Beat in molasses and egg. Beat in as much flour as you can with mixer; stir in any remaining flour with wooden spoon. Stir in cherries and chocolate.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheets (I used stones, of course. I also used the medium scoop and didn't quite fill it.) Bake 8 minutes (much longer on a stone) or until bottoms are lightly browned. (I filled two large round stones and baked them at the same time for 15 minutes.) Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Last edited:
Prize Winning Molasses CookiesThis recipe won Second place at two Country Fairs. It uses a cup of shortening and the preferred is bacon fat for its wonderful flavor.
Grandma Rita's Molasses Cookies
CREAM TOGETHER: 1 cup brown sugar; 1 cup melted shortening-bacon grease is best for its flavor; 1 cup dark unsulphured molasses. Dissolve 4 teaspoons Baking Soda into 1 cup Buttermilk (sour milk or coffee may be substituted).
SIFT TOGETHER AND ADD TO ABOVE: 6 cups white flour; 4 teaspoons cinnamon (I now use Cinnamon Plus) 1 teaspoon cloves; 1 teaspoon allspice. Roll with as little four on board as possible. The thickness should be 1/4". Cut, dip tops in sugar. Bake on slightly greased Stoneware, 7 to 10 minutes at 375 degrees. NOTE: Our flower bread tube makes a great cutter for this recipe. Yield about 3 dozen cookies 3 1/2" size. Cookies puff a bit and are
done when firm to finger touch to top.

Thanks guys! :) Now if I could just find a molasses or ginger cake recipe, I'd be set. Big Christmas smooches to everyone who gave me a recipe, thanks! :) I have to log out for a while, hubby found a virus on my computer, and my new memory arrived 3 minutes ago. I wish we could order new memory for our brains like we can for our computers. My computer will be in the skilled hands of Dr. John the Computer Guru (aka, my DH) so I hope I'll get a chance to chat with you all later on this weekend. If not MERRY Christmas! :)

PS, I got my SA heart today. the box smelled so terribly of cigarette smoke- even the SA insert inside the dish stunk to high heaven! That Fed-Ex guy must have marinated in a carton of cigs on his way over to my house. even my hubby commented on the stench, and he's a smoker! (doesn't smoke in the house or car, though!!)

Related to Molasses Cookie Recipes Wanted for Christmas Eve!

1. How can I make soft and chewy molasses cookies?

To make soft and chewy molasses cookies, be sure to use dark molasses and not blackstrap molasses. Dark molasses has a higher sugar content, which helps keep the cookies soft. You can also add a little bit of corn syrup or honey to the dough to make them even softer.

2. Can I substitute molasses with something else?

Yes, you can substitute molasses with an equal amount of honey, maple syrup, or corn syrup. Keep in mind that these substitutes will alter the flavor and texture of the cookies slightly.

3. How do I prevent my molasses cookies from spreading too much?

To prevent your molasses cookies from spreading too much, make sure your butter is softened but not melted. Also, chill the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking. This will help the cookies hold their shape while baking.

4. Can I add spices to my molasses cookies?

Yes, you can add spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves to your molasses cookies for extra flavor. Start with 1/2 teaspoon of each spice and adjust to your taste preference.

5. How long can I store molasses cookies?

Molasses cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can also freeze the cookies for up to 3 months. Just make sure to let them thaw before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefann
  • wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sushimommy
  • esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies