• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mixing Family and Business- Long Vent

In summary, Rebecca is upset because her family does not mix well with her business. She is also angry because her husband is gone and her family does not take care of their business. She is considering never doing business with her family again.
Rebeccascabinet
Just need to get some perspective here. I try never to mix family and business because I've found the combination usually doesn't mix. I've tried to help out my family for years and I've always gotten the short end of the stick and I refuse to help my family any more. I end up the bad guy anyway. Well, against my better judgement, my FIL is a contractor and he offered me a great deal to make me a custom cabinet for my downstairs bathroom I am remodeling. Well, two weeks later, it is nothing like the diagram I drew him and the materials are all wrong and I hate it! I've already paid him so much money. I need at least another month to save to actually get the materials I wanted in the first place. For example I told him I wanted granite countertops he got formica (said I would get a better return for my money). I said a vessel sink, he got a drop in sink (said it was cheaper). I returned the sink. I told him it wasn't working out. I am so frustrated!!! This always happens whenever I try to mix family and business.
My question is 1. Those of you who successfully mix family and business, how do you do it? 2. Those of you who do not, what do you say when your family asks why you didn't use them?

You have every right to be PO'd! I bet he doesn't do this to his other clients.

Rebecca,

I'm so angry on your behalf. :mad: I would be furious. What is your husband saying about this? Sounds like it's time for him to step in and get this fixed. There is no excuse for your money being mismanaged. If I was really brave, I'd tell him (FIL) that "the cabinet looks nothing like the diagram I carefully prepared and that the materials are all wrong. How long will it take you to have the correct cabinet made?"

I think the only way to make it work is to never mix family with business.
I learned the hard way and will never do it again.

You definitely have every right to be upset. If I were you I would sit him down and go over the original plans and tell him that this is not what was requested. Good Luck!!! :eek: :eek:

I only asked once! My FIL is also a contractor, asked him to put in two new windows. Well he put them in, never came back to caulk around them or put the molding back up! And these are in his grandkids rooms! the cold air just comes in, doesn't seem to bother him , and DH doesn't want to ask him about finishing them! So I have to also save my money to get them finished!!

I know your pain!

Kelly V.

Oh Kelly, I am so glad I am not the only one!!! Doesn't it seem when it comes to family some people think they can just pull one over on you?
Unfortunately my husband is in Iraq right now. I think if he'd been here my FIL wouldn't have done what he did. My husband would never have allowed him to get away with that.

I absolutely can't mix the two as well...unless of course it's my husband helping with my PC business. :D Other the that the other parts of my family aren't worth the trouble of doing business with and I am not brave enough to tell them when some thing's not right or that I'm not happy.

Related to Mixing Family and Business- Long Vent

1. How do I balance my family responsibilities with my Pampered Chef business?

Balancing family and business can be challenging, but it's important to set boundaries and prioritize your time. Schedule dedicated work hours and communicate with your family about your availability. Delegate tasks when possible and remember to take breaks to spend quality time with your loved ones.

2. What should I do if my family members aren't supportive of my Pampered Chef business?

It's common for family members to have reservations about a new business venture, but it's important to have open and honest communication with them. Share your passion and goals for your business and listen to their concerns. Offer to involve them in your business in some way to help them understand and support your efforts.

3. How do I handle conflicts that arise when working with family members?

Conflicts are bound to happen when mixing family and business, but it's important to handle them professionally and respectfully. Set clear expectations and boundaries from the beginning, and have regular check-ins to address any issues that arise. Remember to separate personal and professional matters and seek outside help if needed.

4. Should I involve my children in my Pampered Chef business?

Involving your children in your business can be a great way to teach them about entrepreneurship and responsibility. However, it's important to consider their interests and abilities before involving them. Make sure to set clear expectations and boundaries, and always prioritize their well-being over the success of your business.

5. How can I make my family feel included and valued in my Pampered Chef business?

Communication is key in making your family feel included and valued in your business. Share your successes and challenges with them, and ask for their input and ideas. Consider involving them in decision-making processes and showing your appreciation for their support. Remember to also prioritize quality time with your family outside of work.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dannyzmom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • esavvymom