• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Meredith Asks: Should I Get a Honing Tool for My KE?

teeth?) to keep it in this sharp condition. It may seem like a pain, but it's definitely worth it! When you first get a brand new knife, it is totally sharp, and the blade is 100% straight and comes directly to a sharp point. Through use, minute mis-alignments are going to show up on the knife edge. (Microscopically, think of teeth on a comb that are bent this way and that...that's what the "edge" on the knife will do with use...but it's so small you don't SEE it, but you can FEEL it in the way it just doesn't feel totally sharp when you are using it.) The honing
merego
HI everyone,
I am debating on if I want to get the honing tool for my KE this month.
Does anyone have it and if so, do you like it? How often do you need to use it on the knives?
Meredith

Hi Meredith!

I have the honing tool and do use it--or my DH uses it mostly!! He likes it and says it does a good job. We use it whenever the knives seem to need it! I suppose maybe once every 3 months or so? I'm not sure how often I should be doing it??

HTH!!:)

I use the bread knife all the time ( I love it!!!) , but haven't used the other 2 knives I earned for qualifying as much. I do use my knife I got in my starter kit alot too.

love the honing toolif you are going to / have invested in the forged cutlery, the honing tool is a must-have. You are supposed to sharpen your FC after every few (2-3) uses. There is a great Product Knowledge Video on CC about the Honing Tool.

peichef said:
love the honing tool

if you are going to / have invested in the forged cutlery, the honing tool is a must-have. You are supposed to sharpen your FC after every few (2-3) uses.

There is a great Product Knowledge Video on CC about the Honing Tool.

Thanks, I have used the bread knife about 20 times, better get that honing tool ASAP :)

Just FYI you can't use the honing tool on the bread knife. But it works great on the others!

ShanaSmith said:
Just FYI you can't use the honing tool on the bread knife. But it works great on the others!

Does the bread knife not need sharpening?
DH bought a sharpener off QVC, that probably will work on out other knives. I use the bread knife the most.

You shouldn't use the honing tool on the bread knife because it will prematurely wear down the tips and ruin your knife.

Have had it from the get go BUT never used it. Sold one only because the hostess son collects pocket knives and just had to have one for them.

katie0128 said:
You shouldn't use the honing tool on the bread knife because it will prematurely wear down the tips and ruin your knife.

OK, so how do you keep it sharp or am I just clueless?? :confused::confused:

I love the honing tool. It's very necessary to get the most out of your forged cutlery. Also, I found out that it also sharpens our pizza cutter. I never liked how it cut.. didn't seem to work well. A few swipes with the honing tool and NOW it's WONderful.

merego said:
OK, so how do you keep it sharp or am I just clueless?? :confused::confused:

I've had my bread knife for about 7 years now and it's been great! never felt it even needed sharpening!

I don't think there is any way to sharpen an knife with the "teeth" like that.. someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

You can sharpen a serrated blade, but it has to be done by a professional. The bread knife doesn't need honing like the others because of the types of things that are usually cut (and method of cutting) with a bread knife - they don't push the edge out of whack like on a non-serrated knife.

Thanks :) These are things I probably read and should know, but they didn't retain in my little brain :)

With the Honing Tool, your knives will be like new everytime you use them! It's a must have item. Be sure to cross sell it with your Forged Cutlery-especially with the August host special.
Deb

zmom58 said:
With the Honing Tool, your knives will be like new everytime you use them! It's a must have item. Be sure to cross sell it with your Forged Cutlery-especially with the August host special.
Deb

Thank you, I will :)

I am sure that they explain this better on the training video on CC...but here goes.

(I never knew this stuff till our forged cutlery came out!)

Honing a knife is different than sharpening a knife.

When you first get a brand new knife, it is totally sharp, and the blade is 100% straight and comes directly to a sharp point. Through use, minute mis-alignments are going to show up on the knife edge. (Microscopically, think of teeth on a comb that are bent this way and that...that's what the "edge" on the knife will do with use...but it's so small you don't SEE it, but you can FEEL it in the way it just doesn't feel totally sharp when you are using it.) The honing tool re-aligns your knife blade back to the way it came from the factory. SUPER SHARP! You need to hone your knife every 2-3 uses (4-5 swipes through the honer from heel to tip of the knife) but it will not hurt it to hone it each time. (I hone mine each time so I don't forget...and always have a sharp knife!) Honing does NOT take any of the blade off, just re-aligns it. Then, once every 1-3 years (depending on the amount of use) you need to take them in to be professionally sharpened. This is where they take a small portion of the blade OFF to bring it back to a completely sharp edge.

Our honer can be used on ANY of our STRAIGHT edge knives safely. You do NOT use them on any type of a serrated edge, though. Those types of knives can only be SHARPENED by a professional when they need it. Your bread knife, though, should last for YEARS before it will need to be sharpened.

Hope this makes sense!

Anyone who owns a forged knife NEEDS to have a honer to keep it working in tip top condition! Otherwise, you will be using a DULL KNIFE which is very dangerous!

Here's the analogy I use at my shows: Having the forged cutlery knives without honing them every few uses is like having a Porsche and not taking it in for servicing.

(uh, not that I've ever had a Porsche...though I really do like the Boxster)

Ohmygoodness ... I kind of knew this ... but now I must have that tool!I feel so GREEDY for getting all that product ... and still needing MORE!

Had it- (had to give it back to the person I borrowed it from) LOVED IT- would buy one...

I guess I should take it out of the box then! I bought it almost a year ago----

Related to Meredith Asks: Should I Get a Honing Tool for My KE?

1. What is a honing tool and what does it do?

A honing tool is a kitchen utensil used to sharpen and maintain the edge of a knife. It helps to realign and straighten the blade, making it more effective for cutting and slicing.

2. How often should I use a honing tool on my knife?

It is recommended to use a honing tool on your knife before or after each use. This will help to keep the blade in top condition and ensure a sharp edge for your cutting needs.

3. Can a honing tool replace professional sharpening services?

No, a honing tool is meant to maintain the sharpness of a knife's edge, but it cannot replace the need for professional sharpening services. It is recommended to have your knives professionally sharpened once or twice a year, depending on usage.

4. Is a honing tool suitable for all types of knives?

Yes, a honing tool can be used on most types of knives, including serrated blades. However, it is always best to check the manufacturer's instructions or consult with a professional for specific care instructions for your knives.

5. Can I use a honing tool on a damaged or chipped knife?

No, a honing tool is not suitable for repairing damaged or chipped knives. It is only meant for maintaining and sharpening the existing edge. If your knife is damaged, it is best to seek professional sharpening services or replace the knife altogether.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Pampered Laura
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
lacychef
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies