• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Mastering the Grill Pan: Tips and Tricks for Perfectly Cooked Meat

In summary, the conversation revolved around the difficulties of cooking on a grill pan, particularly with marinated chicken breasts. Some tips were shared, such as using a grill press, filleting or pounding the chicken, and preheating the pan. The conversation also discussed using the grill pan for other items such as vegetables and grilled cheese sandwiches, but not for fatty items like burgers. There was also a discussion about preheating nonstick cookware and how to check the accuracy of a pocket thermometer. A substitute for the grill press was suggested, which involved wrapping a brick in foil.
babywings76
Gold Member
I can not for the life of me cook well on the grill pan. I don't know what on earth my problem is. I need to have one of you guys over to teach me. I had marinated chicken breasts in an Asian dressing. I put them on and it seemed like forever later they still weren't done. I think I had the heat too high at first, because after 10 minutes the sugars in the dressing burnt. After the burning happened, I lowered the heat, but maybe it was too low? After 20 minutes on the stove, I gave up. My pocket thermometer said it was only at 140, so I put them in a microwaveable container and cooked them a few more minutes. The PT still said they weren't done enough, but I cut into them and they were fine, so we ate them. Ugg! I can't seem to just cook a piece of meat. It has to be cut pieces to go in something, or ground meat to go in something. I'm great at skillet dinners and crockpot cooking, casseroles, etc. But give me a hunk of meat and I'll ruin it!

Anyone have tips on using the grill pan. I know it's not the grill pan's fault...just me, the terrible user. ;)

Do you have the grill press? I always use the press -- seems to make it cook faster and evenly. For chicken, I will filet or pound it so it is even thickness and fairly thin. I preheat the grill with the grill press and then put it on and put the press on top... flip it after a few minutes. It always comes out perfect and juicy.... even with no marinade-just a sprinkle of salt/pepper/garlic powder.

Yes, preheating is probably the secret.

DH has made hot dogs and burgers on it and they turn out wonderful.

I make veggies on it (it is just like on the grill).

But, our favorite item is grill cheese sandwiches on the grill pan. I don't think I can ever go "back". They are so crispy. We don't use the Grill Press, though. And the first side really does take awhile - especially if we haven't heated the pan.

I agree the grill press is a must when using chicken breasts and burgers. Also great for panini sandwiches.

You have to preheat the pan--always with non stick.

Maybe it's your pocket thermometer...

I never use the grill pan without the press. And I find I only use it now for things that aren't too fatty ... like chicken breasts. It seems easier to clean than the Foreman.I tried doing burgers on it and will never do it again ... not nearly enough fat drains off, and there really isn't room for much fat to drain. So no better than frying them in a regular skillet.

I thought we weren't supposed to preheat the nonstick cookware? I have a gas stove, so is there a certain flame size that is okay or preferred for preheating? How long do you preheat it? If I don't have the press (can't afford it right now), is there a good thing to use as a substitute? Good tip about filleting it or pounding it. These were pretty thick breasts.Is there a way to see if it could also be a problem with my Pocket thermometer? I also struggled with cooking the pork tenderloin in the DCB going by the temp on it.

To check your therm. boil water and check the temp of the water. The temp should always be 212 - boiling point. If it isn't then you know how far off your therm. is. Sometimes there's a nut on the therm that you can adjust to recalibrate.

babywings76 said:
I thought we weren't supposed to preheat the nonstick cookware? I have a gas stove, so is there a certain flame size that is okay or preferred for preheating? How long do you preheat it?

If I don't have the press (can't afford it right now), is there a good thing to use as a substitute?

Good tip about filleting it or pounding it. These were pretty thick breasts.

Is there a way to see if it could also be a problem with my Pocket thermometer? I also struggled with cooking the pork tenderloin in the DCB going by the temp on it.

You can pre-heat nonstick cookware, but not on high, and watch how long you leave it on the heat empty. To substitute for the press, wrap a brick in a couple of layers of foil.

What is the best way to clean my grill pan?

The best way to clean your grill pan is to let it cool completely, then soak it in hot soapy water for about 30 minutes. Use a non-abrasive sponge or brush to scrub away any food residue. For tougher stains, you can use a mixture of baking soda and water to create a paste and gently scrub the pan. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaning tools as they can damage the non-stick coating of the pan.

How do I prevent my food from sticking to the grill pan?

To prevent food from sticking to your grill pan, make sure to preheat it before adding your food. You can also lightly coat the pan with cooking spray or brush it with oil before cooking. Avoid using metal utensils that can scratch the non-stick surface and cause food to stick. Using a marinade or marinade brush can also help create a barrier between the food and the pan.

Can I use my grill pan on an electric stove?

Yes, you can use a grill pan on an electric stove. However, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for your specific pan. Some grill pans may not be suitable for use on electric stoves due to their high heat output. It is also important to use a pan with a flat bottom to ensure even heat distribution on an electric stove.

How do I season my grill pan?

To season your grill pan, wash it with hot soapy water and dry it thoroughly. Then, lightly coat the pan with a high smoke point oil, such as vegetable or canola oil. Place the pan in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Let it cool before wiping off any excess oil. Repeat this process every few months to maintain a non-stick surface.

Can I use metal utensils on my grill pan?

We recommend using non-metal utensils on your grill pan to avoid scratching the non-stick surface. However, if you do use metal utensils, be gentle and avoid scraping the pan too hard. Metal utensils can cause damage to the non-stick coating, leading to food sticking and uneven cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• JanisF
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • babywings76
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • meganmcg