• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Managing Pet Allergies: Coping with Being Allergic to My Dog and Other Triggers

I have a big dog and a cat, and I keep the dog in the bedroom at all times. The cat is allowed in the living room and the kitchen, but not the bedroom.
tabnat80
Gold Member
So, i've been having all these breathing issues for about a year now. My doc is treating me for acid reflux. Lately, it's gotten worse. I made an appointment with an allergist and guess what, I'm allergic to my DOG! My precious yorkie dog that stays inside and sleeps with us occassionally. Doc said to put him outside. I just can't do that. I've had him 5 years and he won't survive outside. He's only 11 lbs. I just don't know what to do. I want to get well, but I want my dog too. He was my first baby before DS was born. Anyways, doc wants me to come back for more test on the 30th. He also told me that I may possible be allergic to shellfish. I love shrimp and eat it all the time. However, it does make me cough a lot after eatting. Anyways, what do you all do for your pet allergies?

i have no advice about dogs because im not allergic to them. i am allergic to shellfish though which is a bummer because i always crave clams! i dont know what i would do if i was allergic to my lab. she is just like your yorkie - my baby. :blushing: isnt there some sort of air filter you can use???

not sure. Doc didn't really say much since i'm coming back in about 2 weeks. He said we would talk more then. I guess i'll need to check into getting a filter.

I was allergic to our dog but wasn't willing to part with her (she is gone now and we won't get another even though we miss her so much).

1. Don't ever let her in the bedroom.
2. Be neurotic about cleaning - especially dusting and vacuuming.
3. Brush her (actually have someone else) frequently - at least twice a week.
4. Bathe her frequently.
5. After petting or holding her be sure to wash your hands. Keep your hands away from your face.
6. If your furniture is cloth vacuum it frequently. (we have few rugs and leather furniture)
7. Change your house filters every month.
8. Have her get exercise outside - try not to let her run around in the house.

That's a start anyway...

BethCooks4U said:
I was allergic to our dog but wasn't willing to part with her (she is gone now and we won't get another even though we miss her so much).

4. Bathe her frequently.
5. After petting or holding her be sure to wash your hands. Keep your hands away from your face.
6. If your furniture is cloth vacuum it frequently. (we have few rugs and leather furniture)

That's a start anyway...

That's great advice Beth!
I wonder if there are any kind of shots you can get to alleviate some of the symtoms?

chefsteph07 said:
That's great advice Beth!
I wonder if there are any kind of shots you can get to alleviate some of the symtoms?

There are but you have to take them for a long time. I chose not to but my DH took them - he's worse than me with those allergies - after over a year he stopped taking them and didn't see a lot of difference - took over the counter pills. See what your doctor suggests. If you are VERY allergic then take the shots and if you are VERY, VERY allergic you might have to find a new home for your baby - as hard as that is. ...that being said, unless you can't breathe I would try everything else first.

BethCooks4U said:

4. Bathe her frequently.

That's a start anyway...

Beth gave some great advice. I live with my sister, who has a cat, and I'm allergic. It's an indoor cat and sheds a lot. The biggest thing that helped me was keeping my bedroom door shut and not allowing him in. Our living arrangements now don't allow for that, so I put a large sheet over my bed during the day, and then take it off at night when I go to bed. That way when he lays on the bed, any hair ends up on the sheet and not on the bedding I sleep on. It has helped tremendously. I do the same thing with the recliner I sit on, so that I'm not lounging in a chair that is covered in cat hair. I also agree with washing your hands after you touch the dog. Hopefully some of those tips can make living with him a little more manageable for you. Allergies are definitely no fun.

Oh goodness Tab!! I am so sorry. Dogs are just like one of your children once you get attached to them.

I do not have any advice on allergies but just wanted to say I hope you can find a solution that allows you to keep your yorkie. They are so precious! I have wanted one for years. My BF's daughter has one and she is so cute!

SOME air purifiers do wonders for people w/allergies. I say some b/c there are alot out there that claim to be an air purifier but really aren't. But 1 night w/out ours on makes us all stopped up the next morning. We are both on allergy pills. My dad gets shots twice a week & can't do w/out them either. He is so bad that he can smell my dogs on me & gets all messed up.

I am not allergic to pet hair so I cannot help you there.

However, I was eatting an array of shellfish at a restaurant almost 2 years ago when I fainted in the restaurant! I have not eaten shellfish since!! I love shrimp and scallops!! I miss that most!! I should really get tested to KNOW for sure...

My fainting was attributed to stress (my grandfather had died days prior, and I just had given his eulogy).

My grandmother is allergic to shellfish and she vomits badly---to me, fainting is not something I wish to experience again----and therefore have avoided it.

When it makes you THAT SICK it is EASY to avoid it. You'd be surprised.

Good luck with your little pup----I feel for you!

I am allergic to both my hedgehog and my cats. For me, OTC Zyrtec works really great, and I also have Veramyst which was prescribed to me as a nasal spray (all the other kinds had weird side effects for me.) I have to vacuum often, but I make my hubby empty the vacuum. I still am very symptomatic, but at least it's tolerable.

Hathery said:
I am allergic to both my hedgehog and my cats. For me, OTC Zyrtec works really great, and I also have Veramyst which was prescribed to me as a nasal spray (all the other kinds had weird side effects for me.) I have to vacuum often, but I make my hubby empty the vacuum. I still am very symptomatic, but at least it's tolerable.

I never heard of someone having a hedgehog as a pet.

Are they cuddly like a cat? Just wondering what their personality is like...

sorry to hijack!

I had to get rid of our dog because I was allergic. So sad. We decided to have Grandma (MIL) adopt her! The boys can go visit and I know she is in a good home, but I don't have to suffocate at night and feel like I have the flu 24/7! When we visit Granny Lo-Lo I just sit in a wood chair and try not to touch anything dog related. It has been a good solution for us. Hopefully your allergies are not so bad. I tried all the over the counter drugs too! I hate shots. Wouldn't get shot.

vwpamperedchef said:
I never heard of someone having a hedgehog as a pet.

Are they cuddly like a cat? Just wondering what their personality is like...

sorry to hijack!

They're covered in quills, so not exactly cuddly...but my hedgehog is very friendly. She sits on my lap every night and watches TV with me!

Thanks for enlightening me! ;) She is cute!

vwpamperedchef said:
Thanks for enlightening me! ;) She is cute!

Thanks, I think so too! :)

I'm allergic to my dogs (yes dogS) too! I just get stuffed up and sneeze. I try to keep them off the bed, not always successfully, as our Ridgeback likes to sleep on my pillow! Yes, I know, that helps A LOT!! LOL

I have a friend at work who uses Francis Oil of Oregano and says it works for allergies. I have not gotten any yet, but you should be able to find in a local natural products store.

My mother was telling me the other day that people aren't allergic to the pet, but to the saliva and that cat allergies are usually worse than dogs, so I'd have to echo the solution to have the dog bathed regularly. We've given some guests bootleg Allegra and it has helped tremendously. My sister thought that maybe she was over her allergies, it worked so well! But then it wore off (after she left our house) and she could tell!

Related to Managing Pet Allergies: Coping with Being Allergic to My Dog and Other Triggers

1. What are the most common symptoms of being allergic to my dog?

The most common symptoms of a dog allergy include sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, coughing, and wheezing. In more severe cases, some people may also experience difficulty breathing, hives, or even anaphylaxis.

2. Can I develop an allergy to my dog even if I have had them for years?

Yes, it is possible to develop an allergy to your dog even if you have had them for years. Allergies can develop at any time, and it is not uncommon for people to suddenly become allergic to their pet.

3. Are there any breeds of dogs that are considered hypoallergenic?

While no dog breed is completely hypoallergenic, there are some breeds that are known to be more suitable for people with allergies. These include poodles, bichon frises, and schnauzers, among others. However, it is important to note that individual dogs within these breeds may still cause allergic reactions.

4. How can I manage my dog allergy symptoms while still having a dog?

There are several ways to manage dog allergy symptoms, including regularly bathing and grooming your dog, keeping them out of your bedroom and other areas where you spend a lot of time, using an air purifier, and taking allergy medication as needed. You may also want to consult with an allergist for additional advice.

5. Is there a way to test if I am allergic to my dog?

Yes, there are allergy tests available that can determine if you are allergic to your dog. These can include skin prick tests or blood tests. It is important to consult with a doctor or allergist for proper testing and interpretation of results.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • tabnat80
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • jwagner75