• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Make Your Own Sausage: What Seasonings to Use?

Stephanie's recipes for Italian and Greek sausage are also provided. In summary, the conversation discusses making homemade sausage using various recipes and the benefits of growing and raising one's own meat. They also mention store-bought brands and their preferences for certain ingredients.
krzymomof4
Silver Member
Does anyone make their own sausage? We had a pig butchered and got some ground pork that I would like to turn into sausage. What seasonings do I put in it besides sage???

Re: SausageHere you go!

Homemade Sausage

* 2 teaspoons dried sage
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1 pinch ground cloves
* 2 pounds ground pork

Re: SausageStephanie's Homemade Italian Fennel Sausage

1 lb ground pork or turkey
1/4 cup minced onion
2 tsp fennel seed
1 T mustard seed
1 tsp all purpose Itailan seasoning
2 T fresh pressed garlic (3 cloves)
2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
2 tsp salt

Stephanie's Greek Sausage (for gyros and pizzas)
1 lb ground lamb (it works with pork or turkey too, but I love it:love: with lamb)
2T fresh pressed garlic
1 T fennel seed
2T chopped fresh mint
2 tsp dry oregano
2T fresh chopped rosemary
2 tsp dry dill weed
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp liquid smoke
2 tsp salt

Re: SausageWow, I was blown away. I didn't know people did this. Sorry if I sound naive, but I have never heard of that before.

Re: Sausage
vwpamperedchef said:
Wow, I was blown away. I didn't know people did this. Sorry if I sound naive, but I have never heard of that before.

LOL - that tickled my funny bone!

Really though, we live in such a pre-made world, I'm not surprised that you didn't know. I grew up on a farm, and we grew all of our own meat. We made our own sausage quite often. The boughten kind that comes closest to homemade for me is Bob Evans, but I don't think that is available all over.

Re: SausageOh - and now you have some recipes to use, so that if you need sausage, but don't have any, you can just make your own!:thumbup: The recipe I posted works with ground turkey too - but just don't use ground turkey breast, it's too lean. Or you can mix turkey and pork half & half.

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - that tickled my funny bone!

Really though, we live in such a pre-made world, I'm not surprised that you didn't know. I grew up on a farm, and we grew all of our own meat. We made our own sausage quite often. The boughten kind that comes closest to homemade for me is Bob Evans, but I don't think that is available all over.

Bob Evans is my favorite brand of sausage! I think I love it so much cuz there isn't any fennel in it. I can't stand that licorice-tasting-nasty stuff!! :yuck:

KellyTheChef said:
Bob Evans is my favorite brand of sausage! I think I love it so much cuz there isn't any fennel in it. I can't stand that licorice-tasting-nasty stuff!! :yuck:

I totally agree! There is nothing worse than biting into a fennel seed!:yuck::yuck::yuck:

vwpamperedchef said:
Wow, I was blown away. I didn't know people did this. Sorry if I sound naive, but I have never heard of that before.

We have been trying to cut costs and so my BIL has a small farm if that is what you call it. Chickens and did 2 pigs. You would be very suprised at how much different the meat is. The chickens are smaller, but they are not pumped up on stuff. The pork has very little fat in it because of how we fed it. The eggs are very different also.

krzymomof4 said:
We have been trying to cut costs and so my BIL has a small farm if that is what you call it. Chickens and did 2 pigs. You would be very suprised at how much different the meat is. The chickens are smaller, but they are not pumped up on stuff. The pork has very little fat in it because of how we fed it. The eggs are very different also.

I am jealous! I want fresh farm eggs!

Re: SausageI'm just wondering when breakfast is..... :)
fresh eggs and sausage.... mmmmm sitting here drooling now...

Re: SausageIf I could just get my gramma's buiscuit recipe to work out, then we are talkin' breakfast. However, we are not much breakfast eaters around here..so we have breakfast for supper.:chef:

Re: SausageWe had breakfst for dinner last night,but my favorite sasuage is BLue and Gold, it is big in Oklahoma, FFA fundraiser. and Their bacon is out of this world.
We aslo grow our own meat, but I like the B&G better.

KellyTheChef said:

Nahunta sausage! THE BEST!! If you are ever in NC you must get this sausage! I love the HOT Air Dried Sausage, but it is a local only sausage!!! here is there link Nahunta Porkframe :thumbup:

ChefBeckyD said:
I totally agree! There is nothing worse than biting into a fennel seed!:yuck::yuck::yuck:
You guys are funny! I love fennel! Isn't food cool? What one person can't live without another wouldn't touch. If you don't want the seeds, that is a good excuse to use the new spice grinder (or use basil for a less licorice effect) You can make my recipes without fennel if you want. LOL. I love the sausage with sage too. That sweet breakfast sausage. I love homemade chorizo, but it is sooo fatty. Personally we don't make sausage a lot, DH the vegetarian. We have a meat grinder I use more for homemade sprouted wheat bread than I ever used it for meat. DH says it has changed it's evil ways. He hates meat. I make a lot of vegetable sides when I do cook a main meal with meat in it. Anyway. Thanks for the good fennel laugh! ;)

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
You guys are funny! I love fennel! Isn't food cool? What one person can't live without another wouldn't touch. If you don't want the seeds, that is a good excuse to use the new spice grinder (or use basil for a less licorice effect) You can make my recipes without fennel if you want. LOL. I love the sausage with sage too. That sweet breakfast sausage. I love homemade chorizo, but it is sooo fatty. Personally we don't make sausage a lot, DH the vegetarian. We have a meat grinder I use more for homemade sprouted wheat bread than I ever used it for meat. DH says it has changed it's evil ways. He hates meat. I make a lot of vegetable sides when I do cook a main meal with meat in it. Anyway. Thanks for the good fennel laugh! ;)

:yuck: I don't want it ground either - I'm not a big licorice flavor fan - I would love it with basil though!.... And you're right about peoples tastes! I love love love cilantro - always add at least double the amount called for in a recipe, and add it to recipes that don't call for it.....but there are entire website devoted to the hate of cilantro! And I just can't understand that!

ChefBeckyD said:
:yuck: I don't want it ground either - I'm not a big licorice flavor fan - I would love it with basil though!.... And you're right about peoples tastes! I love love love cilantro - always add at least double the amount called for in a recipe, and add it to recipes that don't call for it.....but there are entire website devoted to the hate of cilantro! And I just can't understand that!

See! I adore cilantro! I would probably cry reading all the hate mail to the website against cilantro. We are on the same page of doublin' it! We have this green cilantro and tomatillo salsa that I guzzle... I'd use it for gargle if I could get away with it! I can't understand the cilantro thing. I was raised loving licorice, so it is a natural fit. But I guess that is also one of those acquired tastes (love or hate) things. I use anise in a lot of my baking and some people adore it... beg for the recipe. I didn't know that anise seed was a natural labor inducer (apparently so, since I was in preterm labor 7 times with my last one). All hopped up on cornmeal anise seed cookies. Who knew?! Anyway, I love that we can all respectfully disagree and still be friends! LOL! No preterm labor for Kelly, since she can't stand licorice flavor! Haaa!

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
See! I adore cilantro! I would probably cry reading all the hate mail to the website against cilantro. We are on the same page of doublin' it! We have this green cilantro and tomatillo salsa that I guzzle... I'd use it for gargle if I could get away with it! I can't understand the cilantro thing. I was raised loving licorice, so it is a natural fit. But I guess that is also one of those acquired tastes (love or hate) things. I use anise in a lot of my baking and some people adore it... beg for the recipe. I didn't know that anise seed was a natural labor inducer (apparently so, since I was in preterm labor 7 times with my last one). All hopped up on cornmeal anise seed cookies. Who knew?! Anyway, I love that we can all respectfully disagree and still be friends! LOL! No preterm labor for Kelly, since she can't stand licorice flavor! Haaa!

It's also raises blood pressure! My grandpa was having big problems with his BP and the Dr. about went through the roof when he found out that G-pa ate real licorice candy (not artificially flavored) every day! He was banned from eating it after that. My grandpa ate so much black licorice candy that he smelled like it!

ChefBeckyD said:
It's also raises blood pressure! My grandpa was having big problems with his BP and the Dr. about went through the roof when he found out that G-pa ate real licorice candy (not artificially flavored) every day! He was banned from eating it after that. My grandpa ate so much black licorice candy that he smelled like it!

Oh Dear! That is aweful! Poor Grandpa! I think I would hate to be banned from licorice! I don't eat enogh to smell like it though. That explains my blood pressure! I thought it was just my kids making me stress out!! So I wonder if fennel root has the same effect or if it is just the anise seeds and fennel seeds.?? I would hate to think I can't have my favorite vegetables too! Especially roasted with some sweet red onions. Oh. I would be sooo sad.

Re: SausageHome raised meat tastes so much better than anything store bought. We raise our own meat, chicken, rabbit, beef, pig, and lamb.
My husband does the butchering and I do a great deal of processing with him as well as all the packing. We have butchered 135 chickens in one day. That was a very long day for me.
I would not have it any other way our food tastes so much better and cooks easier. We don't have to worry about meat recalls. LOL

Re: SausageOh man, this brings back some good memories.

Years (and I mean years) ago I worked as a butcher/meatcutter in a small locker plant in the midwest. We processed beef and pork for local farmers.

We used to make all of our own sausage; plain, links, italian, smoked, etc. And we cured all of our own meats in an old brick smokehouse. That was some of the best eatin' I ever had.

Related to Make Your Own Sausage: What Seasonings to Use?

1. What type of meat can I use to make sausage?

You can use any type of ground meat to make sausage, such as pork, beef, chicken, or turkey.

2. Do I need any special equipment to make sausage?

While it is helpful to have a meat grinder and sausage stuffer, you can also use a food processor and piping bag to make sausage at home.

3. What seasonings should I use for sausage?

There are many different seasonings you can use for sausage, but some common ones include salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.

4. Can I make sausage without using casings?

Yes, you can form the sausage mixture into patties or meatballs if you do not have casings or do not want to use them.

5. How long can I store homemade sausage?

Homemade sausage can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Be sure to properly label and store it in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
candiejayne
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Staci
  • pamperedbybarbara
  • Recipes and Tips