• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Legal Considerations for Embroidery: Copyright Laws and Custom Apparel

In summary, the conversation discusses the legality of using the Pampered Chef logo and tagline on personalized items. It is stated that using the official logo and tagline is not allowed, and only authorized vendors can use it. However, some individuals have found ways to use it for personal use, such as printing the logo on iron-on paper and having it embroidered by a friend. The conversation also mentions creating one's own design or phrase to avoid copyright infringement. Ultimately, the conversation encourages doing what is right rather than what can be gotten away with.
ragschef
Wasn't sure where to post this.

Is it legal to buy a plain shirt, then have it embroided by someone else, sine the Merrill stuff is so cheaply made? I have a girlfriend that does embroidery and she can download the PC logo and tag line into her computer then embroid that pattern into whatever I want. I just want to make sure its legal and I'm not breaking any copyright laws. Like I said though, I can use the official logo and tag line whichis what the handbook says.

I was wondering the same thing.

No, that isn't allowed. If you look on cc at copywrited logos, etc, it explains what you can use and where. The tagline is not allowed and only authorized vendors (now just Merrill) can use the logo.However, you can design your own kitcheny design with something referring to the kitchen. I'm not sure if simply putting Pampered Chef(c) is not allowed. I didn't check. They just want to control the usage so it's not used inappropriately. Of course, anyone that would use it some way it shouldn't be, probably doesn't care if it's allowed either.

You can make it yourself, but you can't provide the logo to anyone else to produce something for you. I don't know anything about embroidery, so I bought iron-on transfers at Michael's and printed the logo off of my computer. It may not look professionally done, but it was cheap and it serves the purpose of getting my business info out there. Either that or do what others said and create a logo or phrase of your own that is not copyrighted and then you can give it to whoever you want for printing. Good luck!

A while back someone was selling some really cute shirts out here. She had someone embroider a chef hat with the phrase "meet me in the kitchen" on it. It was very cute. Not my size or I would have bought them. I was thinking about having a friend do that for me too. She just used either scoop neck of v-neck shirts.

From the website:
"You may not use the chef’s hat icon by itself in any format in any way other than on pre-approved materials you purchase from our licensed merchandise vendors or downloaded from Consultant’s Corner (for example, promotional flyers). Because we want this image and the tagline to become a symbol of what The Pampered Chef® stands for, we must carefully control its use. If you have the chef’s hat icon on your Personal Web Site, use it in e-mail, on flyers or anything else you produce, you must remove it."
you could print off the logo from your computer on an iron on paper and embroder over it.
It's not being massed produced and I don't think the PC police are going to come to your door and break it down for having a shirt that was embroderd by your friend.
I know they want to keep it controled, and thus the rules, but being that it is one shirt for you, and not a mass production of them, it's not going to hurt.

I only chime my opinion in, because I too don't care for Merrill's stuff and have had some things made myself.
I do it for myself, period.

Chozengirl said:
From the website:
Quote:
"You may not use the chef’s hat icon by itself in any format in any way other than on pre-approved materials you purchase from our licensed merchandise vendors or downloaded from Consultant’s Corner (for example, promotional flyers). Because we want this image and the tagline to become a symbol of what The Pampered Chef® stands for, we must carefully control its use. If you have the chef’s hat icon on your Personal Web Site, use it in e-mail, on flyers or anything else you produce, you must remove it."

you could print off the logo from your computer on an iron on paper and embroder over it.
It's not being massed produced and I don't think the PC police are going to come to your door and break it down for having a shirt that was embroderd by your friend.
I know they want to keep it controled, and thus the rules, but being that it is one shirt for you, and not a mass production of them, it's not going to hurt.

I only chime my opinion in, because I too don't care for Merrill's stuff and have had some things made myself.
I do it for myself, period.

Sorry, don't know how to quote the entire above post so cut and pasted it.

The PC police won't show up and many people have used the logo and tagline against company policy. But IMO it's not about doing what you can get away with, it's about doing what is right. I read the quote from our policy to say you cannot make your own shirts (or anything else) using the copyrighted hat and tagline.

You can get just as much attention if you have something cute like the "Meet me in the kitchen" (if not more). Sometimes people see "Pampered Chef" and won't ask you questions because they are afraid you'll try to jump on them :) Something else can stir interest and allow you to say the same thing but they might be more receptive. My whisk necklace, fork and knife earrings, kitchen tool charm bracelet...things like that stir questions too.

GeorgiaPeach said:
Sorry, don't know how to quote the entire above post so cut and pasted it.

The PC police won't show up and many people have used the logo and tagline against company policy. But IMO it's not about doing what you can get away with, it's about doing what is right. I read the quote from our policy to say you cannot make your own shirts (or anything else) using the copyrighted hat and tagline.

You can get just as much attention if you have something cute like the "Meet me in the kitchen" (if not more). Sometimes people see "Pampered Chef" and won't ask you questions because they are afraid you'll try to jump on them :) Something else can stir interest and allow you to say the same thing but they might be more receptive. My whisk necklace, fork and knife earrings, kitchen tool charm bracelet...things like that stir questions too.

Good Advice, Lisa!

The Pampered Chef® Logo:
All Consultants can use the Pampered Chef® logo in print
advertising, on flyers, as part of e-mail signatures and in
e-newsletters. The Pampered Chef® logo must be utilized
in one of the four Home Office approved formats for
advertising and publicity as set forth below; as long as you
include your name and proper title (see above). The logo is
available for download from Consultant’s Corner. Click on
Promoting Your Business and then Advertising and Publicity
Policies. The logo may not be altered in any way. You may
not use the Chef’s hat icon alone. If you are utilizing the
logo in any other format, it must be replaced with one of the
approved formats below.
Do not sell or provide copyrighted materials to any
non-licensed vendors.

I interpret this as saying we can use the logo to produce our own advertising, as long as we are doing it ourselves and not giving it to a vendor. However, as the differing opinions on here show, it can be interpreted multiple ways. It wouldn't hurt to call HO and ask, and then you can have an answer you are sure of and won't have to worry about unknowingly breaking policy.

There is mention in the policies that we are NOT allowed to use "The Pampered Chef" on items, either. So we cannot have a vendor embroider that on an item, even if it isn't the logo.

If you talk to a reputable embroidery business they will not do it anyway. Most say NO as soon as they see the PC TM symbol.

I read the policy as we are only able to use the logo in our own printing (flyers and such) They just recently "legally" allowed us to do this so I am not willing personally to push the issue.

I agree, I get more interest out of my more subdued advertising.

It also comes down to controling the "BRAND" image of PC. Every image, tagline, message about PC needs to be the same in order for it to be a recognizable household name. It reinforces the PC graphic identity. Just like when you see a
arch.jpg
you know what it means.

Companies spend ALOT of money on marketing to make sure every image/message is the same everytime. Repetition is the key.

If we started diverting from the standard messages/images, the brand wouldnt be as effective. Thats why we've been restricted with the logo. :)

Sorry to rant there. I've just had to go through this with my local Junior League as a subtle reminder of why people have the wrong (or no) image of us. And why we can seem to communicate the right one.

Related to Legal Considerations for Embroidery: Copyright Laws and Custom Apparel

1. Is it legal to buy a plain shirt and have it embroidered by someone else?

Yes, it is legal to purchase a plain shirt and have it embroidered by someone else. As long as the embroidery design does not infringe on any existing copyright laws, you are not breaking any laws by having the shirt customized.

2. Can my friend use downloaded logos and taglines for embroidery without breaking copyright laws?

It depends on the specific logo and tagline. In general, if the logo and tagline are trademarked or copyrighted, it is illegal to use them without permission from the owner. Your friend should research the specific logo and tagline in question to determine if it is legally permissible to use them for embroidery.

3. Is it legal to use the official logo and tagline for embroidery purposes?

Again, it depends on the specific logo and tagline. If they are trademarked or copyrighted, it is illegal to use them without permission. You should consult with the owner of the logo and tagline or a legal professional to ensure that you are not infringing on any copyright laws.

4. Can I embroider copyrighted designs onto custom apparel for sale?

No, it is not legal to embroider copyrighted designs onto custom apparel for sale without permission from the copyright owner. This would be considered copyright infringement and could result in legal action being taken against you.

5. What are some other legal considerations for embroidery?

Other legal considerations for embroidery include obtaining proper licenses or permissions for any copyrighted designs or logos, using proper attribution for any designs that are not your own, and following any guidelines or restrictions set by the owner of the design or logo. It is important to research and understand copyright laws before creating and selling embroidered items.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Happy Mom
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
supergirljennie
Back