1. Join Chef Success Today!
    We're the #1 Pampered Chef Consultant Community. Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files, images, discussions etc! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Jicama substitute?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by wadesgirl, Feb 23, 2011.

1. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Legacy Member Gold Member

I have a consultant on my team who wants to try the new salsa but cannot find jicama any where close to her. What should I suggest instead?

Feb 23, 2011
  2. babywings76

babywings76 Legacy Member Gold Member

Someone in my cluster suggested an Asian Pear. Water chestnuts are the right kind of texture, but not the right flavor.

Feb 23, 2011
  3. loreo

loreo Banned

I was also going to suggest some type of pear. I think an Asian Pear would work just fine :)

Feb 23, 2011
  4. mountainmama74

mountainmama74 Veteran Member Gold Member

So jicama is sweet? I remember seeing it at one store here, but I haven't found it again yet!

5. babywings76

babywings76 Legacy Member Gold Member

Yep, it's crunchy like a water chestnut, but it is sweet. So delicious! :)

Feb 23, 2011
  6. wadesgirl

I thought of it as a crunchy "sweet" potato - like a cross of a potato and an apple.

Feb 23, 2011
  7. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legacy Member Gold Member

We must have bad jicama here as I never noticed a sweet taste. It tastes dry to me, in fact I have thought that water chestnuts would be a good substitute. Interesting. Maybe it IS my tastebuds.

Feb 23, 2011
  8. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton Regular Member

I have never found what I consider to be a good one in Boise either.

Feb 23, 2011
  9. Brenda.the.chef

Brenda.the.chef Veteran Member Gold Member

asian pears and granny smith apples are the best substitutes. If you don't want as sweet, radishes or water chestnuts work best.

Asian pears can be quite pricey though, so I usually use the granny smith if jicama isn't available.

10. loreo

loreo Banned

Isn't the Granny Smith rather tart?

Feb 23, 2011
  11. Brenda.the.chef

Brenda.the.chef Veteran Member Gold Member

yes. Jicama isn't really sweet. It's got a very slight sweetness to it. So hard to describe. I just find that the granny smith is the most reliable flavor wise as a raw substitute. When a recipe calls for cooked jicama and you can't find it, I use water chestnuts.

1 person likes this.
  12. heather223

heather223 Senior Member Gold Member

Great info., Thank you!

Feb 23, 2011
  13. lesliec

lesliec Senior Member

I used a red delicious apple the other day and it was a bit too sweet, so I think a granny smith might work great.

Feb 23, 2011
  14. loreo

loreo Banned

So thankful for this thread! Last night my host was so proud that she was able to find a jicama. Went to prep it and it was ...a rutabaga!!!
    Fortunately she had an apple and all was well!
    Live and learn ;)

Feb 27, 2011
  15. wadesgirl

Oops!! Did you try it to see a difference?

Feb 27, 2011
  16. amyscookinggear

amyscookinggear Novice Member Gold Member

Grocery stores to try:
    Walmart
    Any Mexican Grocery store (I drove all over and it just dawned on me that there is a Mexican Grocery store next door)

17. wadesgirl

She sort of live out in the middle of now where and did try the closest WalMart to her.

Feb 27, 2011
  18. lt1jane

lt1jane Senior Member Gold Member

ALL of Iowa for the most part is in the middle of nowhere...

I was born and raised there so I have personal experience and am not just dissing the state. I was born in Maquoketa, lived in Clinton for a year, moved to Britt, and spent my Jr High and High School years in Cedar Rapids. I am proud to say that I am FROM Iowa (but it does mean I left... ;) )

Feb 27, 2011
  19. loreo

loreo Banned

I didn't. I've not been feeling well ( gall bladder I think :() and didn't want to risk it. Everyone else loved it though!

Feb 27, 2011
  20. esavvymom

esavvymom Legacy Member Staff Member

I've made the salsa twice without the jicama or a substitute, and it was still delicious. My DH loved it so much that he bought 2 mangoes, the largest red onion I've ever seen, and about 6 jalapenos at the store today so I could make a batch for him before I left town for the week. HAHAHA- he didn't know how much of anything was in it.

I'd be curious how it tastes with a Granny Smith.

Feb 27, 2011
  21. heather223

heather223 Senior Member Gold Member

I used Granny Smith in mine today and it was delicious (and I forgot the jalpeno! and refuse to put cilantro in it.)

Feb 27, 2011
  22. gailz2

gailz2 Legacy Member Gold Member

We were introduced to Jicama on our trip to Mexico last fall. They consider it like a potato, serve it raw, in wedges with lime and salt on it. I had a waiter bring one to me so I'd know what it was. I never thought of it as being sweet, but is a great snack for kids.

Feb 28, 2011
  23. pchockeymom

pchockeymom Senior Member

I made it the other day but couldn't find the jicama (always forget how to pronounce it too). I added pineapple instead and it was FABULOUS!!!

Feb 28, 2011
  24. wadesgirl

I guess when I say sweet I mean it reminds me a lot of a potato but has a little bit of a sweeter taste to it than a potato.

Feb 28, 2011
  25. Malinda Klein

Malinda Klein Veteran Member Gold Member

jicama - pronounce it like "hick"+ "a"+ "Ma"

I couldn't find a jicama at Walmart. The lady said they come in occasionally...

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted