Jicama substitute?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Tips' started by wadesgirl, Feb 23, 2011.

1. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

I have a consultant on my team who wants to try the new salsa but cannot find jicama any where close to her. What should I suggest instead?

2. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

Someone in my cluster suggested an Asian Pear. Water chestnuts are the right kind of texture, but not the right flavor.

3. I was also going to suggest some type of pear. I think an Asian Pear would work just fine :)

4. mountainmama74

mountainmama74 Gold Member

So jicama is sweet? I remember seeing it at one store here, but I haven't found it again yet!

5. babywings76

babywings76 Gold Member

Yep, it's crunchy like a water chestnut, but it is sweet. So delicious! :)

6. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

I thought of it as a crunchy "sweet" potato - like a cross of a potato and an apple.

7. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Gold Member

We must have bad jicama here as I never noticed a sweet taste. It tastes dry to me, in fact I have thought that water chestnuts would be a good substitute. Interesting. Maybe it IS my tastebuds.

8. I have never found what I consider to be a good one in Boise either.

9. Brenda.the.chef

Brenda.the.chef Gold Member

asian pears and granny smith apples are the best substitutes. If you don't want as sweet, radishes or water chestnuts work best.

Asian pears can be quite pricey though, so I usually use the granny smith if jicama isn't available.

10. Isn't the Granny Smith rather tart?

11. Brenda.the.chef

Brenda.the.chef Gold Member

yes. Jicama isn't really sweet. It's got a very slight sweetness to it. So hard to describe. I just find that the granny smith is the most reliable flavor wise as a raw substitute. When a recipe calls for cooked jicama and you can't find it, I use water chestnuts.

1 person likes this.
  12. heather223

heather223 Gold Member

Great info., Thank you!

13. I used a red delicious apple the other day and it was a bit too sweet, so I think a granny smith might work great.

14. So thankful for this thread! Last night my host was so proud that she was able to find a jicama. Went to prep it and it was ...a rutabaga!!!
    Fortunately she had an apple and all was well!
    Live and learn ;)

15. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

Oops!! Did you try it to see a difference?

16. amyscookinggear

amyscookinggear Gold Member

Grocery stores to try:
    Walmart
    Any Mexican Grocery store (I drove all over and it just dawned on me that there is a Mexican Grocery store next door)

17. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

She sort of live out in the middle of now where and did try the closest WalMart to her.

18. lt1jane

lt1jane Gold Member

ALL of Iowa for the most part is in the middle of nowhere...

I was born and raised there so I have personal experience and am not just dissing the state. I was born in Maquoketa, lived in Clinton for a year, moved to Britt, and spent my Jr High and High School years in Cedar Rapids. I am proud to say that I am FROM Iowa (but it does mean I left... ;) )

19. I didn't. I've not been feeling well ( gall bladder I think :() and didn't want to risk it. Everyone else loved it though!

20. esavvymom

esavvymom CS Leader Staff Member

I've made the salsa twice without the jicama or a substitute, and it was still delicious. My DH loved it so much that he bought 2 mangoes, the largest red onion I've ever seen, and about 6 jalapenos at the store today so I could make a batch for him before I left town for the week. HAHAHA- he didn't know how much of anything was in it.

I'd be curious how it tastes with a Granny Smith.

21. heather223

heather223 Gold Member

I used Granny Smith in mine today and it was delicious (and I forgot the jalpeno! and refuse to put cilantro in it.)

22. gailz2

gailz2 Gold Member

We were introduced to Jicama on our trip to Mexico last fall. They consider it like a potato, serve it raw, in wedges with lime and salt on it. I had a waiter bring one to me so I'd know what it was. I never thought of it as being sweet, but is a great snack for kids.

23. I made it the other day but couldn't find the jicama (always forget how to pronounce it too). I added pineapple instead and it was FABULOUS!!!

24. wadesgirl

wadesgirl Gold Member

I guess when I say sweet I mean it reminds me a lot of a potato but has a little bit of a sweeter taste to it than a potato.

25. Malinda Klein

Malinda Klein Gold Member

jicama - pronounce it like "hick"+ "a"+ "Ma"

I couldn't find a jicama at Walmart. The lady said they come in occasionally...