• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is it Safe to Heat Stoneware in the Oven Without Anything On It?

In summary, Beth says that she uses the kitchen brush to clean her stone, and Amanda says that she puts the stone in the oven to "bake off" anything that might be left. There is nothing wrong with either of these methods.
jesusluvsu2005
I was wondering if it's okay to heat your stone up in the oven with nothing on it. I really don't like not cleaning it with soap so with my bar ban, I've been putting it in the oven for a few minutes after rinsing and drying it off. Is this okay or not? Thanks!
God bless,
Amanda

I think it should be fine. Just don't heat it up and then put something ice cold on it (like a frozen pizza).
If it makes you feel any better, here is how the cleaning was explained to me by some directors...
When you wash dishes with soap and hot water, it is actually the water that does most of the cleaning, the soap just acts as an agent to break up the food particles. When you are cleaning you stone, still use hot water but instead of the soap breaking up the food, the scraper does it.

Jolene,
Thank you for your reply. :) My thing is that I can see that with the items you can really get into the sink. The small pieces of stoneware. But it's hard for me to clen the large bar pan. I'd feel better if I could completely submerge it into hot water. LOL I feel like rinsing just doesn't cut it kwim? How long do you rinse yours for?

I rinse it until I have removed all the crumbs and food particles from it. There are lots of pans and dishes that don't fit down into the dishpan. How do you wash them?

Soap just breaks up grease. Rinsing with water and scraping particles off is what gets dishes clean. We don't use soap because we want the seasoning to stay on the stone. Trust me, the stone is clean without soap. Once the food is cooked the only thing that would attract bacteria would be any crumbs left on it.

There is nothing wrong with putting the stone in the oven to "bake off" anything that might be left but IMHO it's an extra step that's not necessary.

Amanda, do you have the Kitchen Brush? I feel much better using it on my stones than I do the scraper - I feel like it does a better job at getting them clean.

Beth,
To be honest, I am a dishwasher only person.Well that is until I started selling PC. Now I handwash a couple of things. I see what y'all are saying though. And I don't mind rinsing and scraping when it's only crumbs. But lately I have also been baking things and assembling tham in the pan. Such as a fruit pizza I made. The fruit and cream cheese would drop on the pan as I cut it out. Same with anything with toppings on it. Thanks for allyour replies! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting the stone by heating it in the oven. I always let it cool back down before I put anything on it. It just makes me feel better. LOL I won't do it all the time though. It just depends on what I bake in it. Thanks!
God bless,
Amanda

Linda,
I do have the kitchen brush, 2 actually. LOL I do use it. I just need to get over my fear of not using soap. LOL

It took me a while to get over that too Amanda. Probably the reason I never owned stoneware util I became a consultant.....a lot of years wasted!

this is one of my favorite info sheets...

Attachments

• Why Stones Won't Harbor Bacteri.doc
    11.5 KB · Views: 384

What is stoneware and how is it different from other types of cookware?

Stoneware is a type of ceramic cookware made from natural clay that is fired at a high temperature. It is known for its durability, even heat distribution, and ability to retain heat. Unlike other types of cookware, stoneware is not coated with any chemicals or non-stick materials, making it a healthier option for cooking.

Is stoneware safe to use in the oven?

Yes, stoneware is safe to use in the oven. It can withstand high temperatures without cracking or breaking, making it perfect for baking, roasting, and broiling. Just make sure to follow the temperature guidelines provided by the manufacturer to avoid damaging the stoneware.

How do I season my stoneware before using it for the first time?

Seasoning stoneware is a simple process that involves rubbing a small amount of oil onto the surface of the cookware before baking it in the oven. This helps to create a non-stick surface and enhance the natural flavors of your food. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for the best results.

Can stoneware be used on the stovetop?

No, stoneware is not suitable for use on the stovetop. It is designed for use in the oven or microwave only. Using it on the stovetop can cause the stoneware to crack or break due to sudden changes in temperature.

How do I clean and care for my stoneware?

To clean stoneware, simply use hot water and a non-abrasive sponge or brush. Avoid using soap, as it can be absorbed into the stoneware and affect the taste of your food. For tough, stuck-on food, soak the stoneware in hot water before cleaning. Do not use metal utensils on stoneware, as they can scratch the surface. Proper care and maintenance can extend the life of your stoneware for years to come.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • jillchef
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
pcgogetter
  • pcchris