• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is a DCB better than a regular casserole dish for microwave cooking?

In summary, the DCB, or Deep Covered Baker, is a stoneware dish used for baking and cooking in the microwave, oven, or grill. It has a deeper depth compared to a regular casserole dish and can be used as a replacement, but cooking time and temperature may need to be adjusted. The benefits of using the DCB include even heat distribution, steam and heat trapping, ability to cook larger or taller dishes, and flexibility in cooking methods. The DCB is not dishwasher safe and should be hand washed and dried before storing. It can also be used to store leftovers in the refrigerator, but precautions should be taken to prevent cracking.
Mindy50135
Hi
I am brand new at this so please forgive me if it is a really dumb question. I really like all of the recipes that I am finding for the DCB. I am going to do my first show in 10 days...sigh:eek: My question is..what does the DCB offer in the microwave that a regular casserole dish (glass with a lid) doesn't. In other words, if someone asks me how would the dish turn out differently if made in a regular dish, I want to be able to answer. Thank you for any help you might be able to offer a newby :)

Stoneware has thermal properties to hold heat better, meaning my DCB will cook a microwave casserole twice as fast as my Corningware casserole dish will. Not only that, my Corningware doesn't stay warm for more than... 10 to 15 minutes so food has to be served nearly right away. My DCB however will hold heat and I never need a crockpot for potlucks because food stays warm for an hour or so.
Also, food is heated more evenly in the DCB (another reason it's cooks up faster) and burns less. No one likes when the edges of a casserole are burned.

THANK YOU so much, that is exactly what I was looking for and it makes a lot of sence. sometimes you just don't know how to word something. Appreciate your help:D

1. What is the difference between the DCB and regular casserole dish?

The DCB, or Deep Covered Baker, is a stoneware dish with a lid that is specifically designed for baking and cooking in the microwave, oven, or grill. It has a deeper depth compared to a regular casserole dish, allowing for larger or taller dishes to be cooked. Regular casserole dishes, on the other hand, come in a variety of materials such as glass, ceramic, or metal and are suitable for oven baking.

2. Can I use the DCB as a replacement for a regular casserole dish?

Yes, the DCB can be used as a replacement for a regular casserole dish. However, it is important to note that the cooking time and temperature may vary since the DCB is made of stoneware which retains heat differently than other materials. It is recommended to adjust the cooking time and temperature according to the recipe or to refer to the Pampered Chef website for specific guidelines.

3. What are the benefits of using the DCB over a regular casserole dish?

The DCB has several benefits compared to a regular casserole dish. It is made of stoneware, which distributes heat evenly and helps to keep food moist and tender. The lid also helps to trap steam and heat, resulting in faster cooking times. The deep depth of the dish allows for larger or taller dishes to be cooked, making it versatile for a variety of recipes. Additionally, the DCB is microwave, oven, and grill safe, providing flexibility in cooking methods.

4. Is the DCB dishwasher safe?

No, the DCB is not dishwasher safe. It is recommended to hand wash the dish with warm soapy water and to avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers that may damage the stoneware. It is also important to make sure the dish is completely dry before storing to prevent cracking.

5. Can I use the DCB to store leftovers?

Yes, the DCB can be used to store leftovers in the refrigerator. However, it is important to note that the stoneware retains heat, so allow the dish to cool down before placing it in the refrigerator to avoid cracking. It is also recommended to use airtight lids or cover the dish with plastic wrap to prevent the absorption of odors from other foods in the fridge.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefDi
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • Leigh0725
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies