• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Investing in a Mixer: What are the Pros and Cons?

it's a great value and I love it!I have a KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer and I love it! It has a lot of different speeds and it is a good value.
laylaleigh
I really want to get a mixer this year. For those of you that have one, what are the ins and outs? I am not sure with all the different watts. I would use mine for simple things, but I am starting to bake more and would like something that will last me.

I know that they sell them cheaper at Kohl's and Sam's. Are they different? How much do you use your mixer? Has it been worth the investment?

Thanks!!

I use mine a lot for baking and I have the Kitchen Aid. It has been worth it for me.

I also just got an email from Bradsdeals.com that I subscribe to and it has a link for the KitchenAid mixer... I don't know if this price is better than the ones you have seen, but here it is.

5qt KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer $190

Amazon now has the KitchenAid Artisan Series Five-Quart Stand Mixer in Red on sale for $189.99, matching the lowest price not involving mail-in rebates that I've seen this year. The 325-watt mixer features 10 speeds, comes with a five-quart stainless steel bowl, and has a one-year warranty. Shipping is currently free and there's no sales tax (except KS, ND, WA).

astavnes said:
Amazon now has the KitchenAid Artisan Series Five-Quart Stand Mixer in Red on sale for $189.99, matching the lowest price not involving mail-in rebates that I've seen this year. The 325-watt mixer features 10 speeds, comes with a five-quart stainless steel bowl, and has a one-year warranty. Shipping is currently free and there's no sales tax (except KS, ND, WA).

I got mine from Amazon. . .and purchased a Factory-Reconditioned model for a big savings. Love it!

I have the KitchenAid Artisan as well, and OH MY it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Worth every penny! I had some credit to Williams Sonoma so I used that to buy it. They have different models for each of the stores and when I inquired about Costco (because Williams Sonoma will beat the price) they told me it had to be the exact model number. I later went back to buy it and I was told they make "this one" exclusively for WS.

Anyway, I am not sure which model # I have but it is a black one and I just love it. I use it for everything. Baking and more.

Definately get yourself one. They last forever, or so I am told!

I wouldn't know what to do without my Kitchenaid mixer........LOVE IT!!!

Love our Artisan! Received the shredder attachment for Christmas and it too is great

we got a reconditioned one off of ebay for lots cheaper and we love it. My mom had/has a kitchenaid when I was growing up so that is all I have used but have no complaints. I just got the homemade ice cream attachment for christmas and like it alot too.

JoLynn

I have the red Kitchenaid Professional HD that my DH bought for me from Sam's Club. I LOVE it and could not live without it. :love: I don't remember how much he paid for it but it was definitely worth every penny!!

I received mine as a wedding gift and I LOVE IT!!!!!! I have the black one and I'm not sure about the price or wattage, but I do know that I got it from Target and they had a white one that was cheaper and lower in wattage. If it had come in black I would've gotten it, but it only came in white. I hope that helped.

I love my kitchen Aid. I am sure I have the cheapest one out there but it works great for what I use it for. My DH makes homemade rolls and cinnamon rolls with it.

I LOVE my Kitchen Aid!! I have the basic white. I think it's the 250 watt. It is plenty for me. I don't mix any heavy bread mixes. I have had it for about 10 years w/no problems. I would never live w/o it!! I did buy an extra bowl for it w/a handle. The one that came w/it didn't have the handle. I really like the handle!

I've seen QVC have great deals on them.

I'm almost sold....what if i already have a food processor with a dough hook? Is it worth it to spend another $200 on the kitchenaid?

I had a food processor with a dough hook that I hardly ever use since I got the mixer. The mixer is soo much better. I'd definitely spend the $200 if you have it. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

I use the mixer all the time! I just bought myself an extra stainless bowl for it.

I have the KitchenAid Ultra Power in white - 120V - about 10 years old.Mine is the basic model and is great. I bought an extra bowl about 5-6 years ago - definitely worth it.I have the juicer attachment but never use it.I wish I had other attachments but not in the budget...more important things in life.

I have a pretty big kitchen aid, and I love having the option to do huge batches of things. I think it is the professional, or something like that. I do not like the way it uses a lever to raise and lower the bowl though, I prefer the style where the whole top swings up.

Also, I got mine at BB&B with a 20% off coupon, and saved a lot of money!!

I have one- it's royal blue and I LOVE it! I do wish I would have gotten the more pricier model, and I will buy my next one from Williams Sonoma, not the Military BX because I have had a couple issues with mine. However I do love mine and my next one will be a bit bigger with a bit more horse power! :)

ok i took the plunge....now maybe i can make chef stephanie's whole wheat bisquick mix!

I LOVE my Kitchen Aid Mixer! My husband bought mine directly through Kitchen Aid. It is refurbished, and I don't mind that. My neighbor almost bought from them also but she ended up with a different model from Kohl's. (Black Friday Deal!)

I wanted a KitchenAid, but it wasn't in our budget... well, last year my parents and my husband's parents BOTH got me a KitchenAid (maybe I mentioned it once or twice? :) ). Amazing present (one turned into a set of dishes from Kohl's).I use mine for everything from cake mixes to whipped cream to pizza dough to huuuuugge batches of Sweet Potato Souffle (I freeze extra in quart bags with little baggies of topping because it is a special favorite of my husband!). I adore it.

I have a kitchenaid. Not sure what model. It was my grandmothers and is almost 20 years old. I decorate cakes on the side and have made huge batches of icing with it. If it tore up tomorrow I couldn't complain.

I have one and LOVE it!!! Can't believe how much I use it :)

ok - help me don't shoot me -

I have a kitchen aid - its brand new - never used - I actually got it from being on a talk show and being in the audience - so it was a gift -

I don't really bake - so give me other uses for it -besides looking good on my counter top -

Lets just say - I can sell PC on humor and jokes - I am so not a cook or baker - so my DH would love ideas to use that thing in the corner!!!

PamperedDor said:
ok - help me don't shoot me -

I have a kitchen aid - its brand new - never used - I actually got it from being on a talk show and being in the audience - so it was a gift -

I don't really bake - so give me other uses for it -besides looking good on my counter top -

Lets just say - I can sell PC on humor and jokes - I am so not a cook or baker - so my DH would love ideas to use that thing in the corner!!!
  • Use the whisk attachment to make homemade whipped cream for an extra great topping for a summer berry shortcake.
  • Use the mixer attachment for super-fluffy mashed potatoes (especially great for Thanksgiving sized batches!).
  • Use the whisk to mix up a big batch of impossibly airy eggs to scramble for a huge breakfast for dinner.
  • Use the dough hook to mix together a batch of homemade play-dough for the kiddos (the type you bake or the type you just keep sealed up). There are some recipes online.
  • Make your own marshmallows.
  • Mix up a huge batch of chicken salad for church picnics.
  • Make your own butter:
    It's fantastic if you buy good cream. Put the cream in the mixer, and whip it as if you're making whipped cream. When it's thick enough, switch to the paddle and keep going. Eventually, the butter will coalesce out and most of the buttermilk will escape. Pour that off (save it for something) and keep going. When enough has come out, wash the butter under running water in a strainer to get off the rest of the buttermilk, and then shape it or pack it into a container and store it in the fridge or freezer as you would with any other butter. Adding sea salt is optional, to taste.

I got one for Christmas. It's red and pretty and super powerful! (The parents got me the professional one because I'm still debating cooking school and doing it as a side biz). Anyhow, I LOVE it!!

I know my mom got it at Kohl's when it was on sale and their was a rebate AND it was when you got free Kohl's cash for every $50 spent, so she ended up getting a heck of a deal on it! (This was probably a month or two before last Christmas, just keep an eye on the ads).

I used it a lot more in the winter, baking all the time. But I still use it to mix up my eggs etc for fritattas, whipping cream, etc.
And it's red and shiny and pretty on my counter:D
Sorry, I see shiny things and go crazy! :balloon:

I love my mixer I wore my first one out. (be sure to send in your warranty /registration info card)
I called them to see about having it serviced, she took my info, called me back and asked if I had a color preference my original was the dark green.
I told her black (think maybe the green was discontinued or something) they shipped me brand new black one) and picked up my old one to refurbish.I have 2 extra bowls and love it.

KateD said:
I wanted a KitchenAid, but it wasn't in our budget... well, last year my parents and my husband's parents BOTH got me a KitchenAid (maybe I mentioned it once or twice? :) ). Amazing present (one turned into a set of dishes from Kohl's).

I use mine for everything from cake mixes to whipped cream to pizza dough to huuuuugge batches of Sweet Potato Souffle (I freeze extra in quart bags with little baggies of topping because it is a special favorite of my husband!). I adore it.

Sweet Potato Souffle??? Sounds wonderful......would you be willing to share the recipe???

Mix meatloaf with it!

I have the Artisan in Black. I :love: it! I got mine from Linens N Things and used a 20% coupon.

Thank you for all the feed back. Now I just need to decide which one to get. DH will kill me if I take the plunge and never use it. I really wanted my food processor and I think I pull it out once every other month. I looked at Amazon, great prices!! I'll let you know what I find. They are on sale at Kohl's right now for Mother's Day.

My MIL got us a food processor 3 yrs ago for Christmas and it has been used a total of 10 times. My DH makes salsa with it.

we gave my mother a KitchenAid mixer for Christmas in 1980. At that time there was only one model and two color choices!The mixer has been used at least weekly (usually more than once a week) since then and it's still going strong.When my parents died we gave the mixer to their sitter who had been using it for the last 7 years to make cakes for my dad and the grandchildren. She's still using it in her home-based cake business and says it works like a charm!

ann what a lovely history your mixer has acquired....that was very sweet of you to give it to your parents' caregiver.

I have the white Artisan. I had been wanting one for a looooong time, but it was never in the budget. So my MIL got me one 2 years ago for Christmas... she sent my DH (her son) to Kohl's at 6:30a the day after Thanksgiving and got a really good price.
I usually use it on a weekly basis... enough that I'm thinking of getting an extra bowl, but I'm not sure where I would keep it! I love making fresh whipped cream and meringue pies and now I can do them soooo much easier. My old mixer was a hand held and so the first few weeks I had my Artisan I made so much whipped cream because I had so much fun turning it on and being able to walk away!!!

You know, you can earn a Kitchen Aid with the level one thing. Of course, you probably want to earn a trip, but just thought I would throw it out there

I've got a cookie recipe from my grandmother that REQUIRES a stand mixer, because you have to let it whip for 30-40 minutes, minimum. LOVE my KitchenAid for that! Of course, I haven't made those cookies in years, since I threw out all my cookie sheets with sides after I got stoneware, and the sides are essential for stacking (they have to sit overnight on the cookie sheets before being baked). But with the new sheet pans, I'll be able to make them again. :)My MIL gave me my KA as a shower gift. It's the 4.5 qt. basic model. But I love that it can cream butter that's not completely softened with sugar without walking across the counter.

itsjustCarla said:
Sweet Potato Souffle??? Sounds wonderful......would you be willing to share the recipe???
Here's the basic recipe I use:
  • 3 c. cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Combine all ingredients together; mix well. Pour into greased baking dish. Cover with topping.

TOPPING:
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1/3 c. plain flour
  • 1/3 stick butter
  • 1 c. nuts
Mix well and sprinkle over souffle. Bake for about half an hour at about 350 degrees.

(That's a little more topping than I use - I usually triple the sweet potatoes and just double the topping and there is still extra.)

I just got my KA last night at Sam's! It's a Mother's Day present so I don't get it until next Sunday. It's at least here & sitting on the floor looking at me. I really think it's pleading with me to take it out of the box & use it.

I'm intrigued by the butter making. What exactly do I do? :)

chefann said:
I've got a cookie recipe from my grandmother that REQUIRES a stand mixer, because you have to let it whip for 30-40 minutes, minimum. LOVE my KitchenAid for that! Of course, I haven't made those cookies in years, since I threw out all my cookie sheets with sides after I got stoneware, and the sides are essential for stacking (they have to sit overnight on the cookie sheets before being baked). But with the new sheet pans, I'll be able to make them again. :)

My MIL gave me my KA as a shower gift. It's the 4.5 qt. basic model. But I love that it can cream butter that's not completely softened with sugar without walking across the counter.

And I thought some of the recipes I made were time and labor intensive!
beating for 30-40 minutes, sitting overnight... those better be some darn good cookies Ann!

Also, I have never had to get on my counters and walk across them when creaming butter and sugar. Does that help speed the process along?:D

<giggle> I meant that the mixer is heavy enough to stay still when creaming butter and sugar. Some lightweight mixers will actually walk across the counter when doing that.

Kohl's has a mixer on sale in today's ad that you can mail a thing in for a free grinder or slicer/shredder attachment plus they are doing the $10 kohl's cash for every $50 in purchases.

JoLynn

I have a KA stand mixer. I like it, but wish I would have gotten a stand mixer
such a Sunbeam where the bowl revolves and you can scrape down the sides
without shutting it off. My Mom had one like that.

Love, love, love my KitchenAid Mixer!!! What makes my KitchenAid products even more special to me is that PC gave them to me for earning different incentives!!! I have a KA Blender too, earned from PC too!!! PC has given me so many cool things!!:) :love:

Chef Endora said:
I have a KA stand mixer. I like it, but wish I would have gotten a stand mixer
such a Sunbeam where the bowl revolves and you can scrape down the sides
without shutting it off. My Mom had one like that.

It's funny because the stationary bowl is my favorite feature of my KA mixer. I love being able to walk away while the mixer is on without the bowl ending up in the floor! I almost never make anything but cakes and icing in it and usually I don't even need to scrape down the sides. :)

I found a couple great websites for recipes and supplies:
http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=33
This recipe forum is sponsored by KitchenAid

King Arthur Flour :: Home Page
King Arthur Flour has a great reputation for quality...and they have some yummy-looking recipes too!

My KA is supposed to show up tomorrow....guess what I'll be doing? LOL

I am getting mine on Sunday!! I can't wait. I will look up some of those recipes. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that Lowe's is having a sale on all their small appliances 20% off. The Artisan is priced at $299 with an additional 20% off. Also if you have a coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond theirs are also $299 with 20% off and online they had several free gifts listed.

I got my red Prof. Kitchen Aide a couple years ago...it led to a remodeling of the kitchen and me selling Pampered Chef...had to pay for the remodel! I started spending so much time in the kitchen I couldn't stand the 1980's kitchen anymore! I make homemade noodles, so I love the pasta attachment.

LOL 'Hart! I fantasize about moving to a larger house so I can store all my PC stuff and have a bigger kitchen....perhaps one day I'll be like you and make enough with PC to do that.

cookingwithhart said:
I got my red Prof. Kitchen Aide a couple years ago...it led to a remodeling of the kitchen and me selling Pampered Chef...had to pay for the remodel! I started spending so much time in the kitchen I couldn't stand the 1980's kitchen anymore! I make homemade noodles, so I love the pasta attachment.

Priceless!! Turned out to be a pretty pricey Kitchen Aide:)

<h2>1. What are the pros and cons of investing in a mixer?</h2><p>Pros: A mixer can greatly speed up the process of mixing and kneading dough, making it easier to bake breads, pastries, and other desserts. It also allows for more precise and consistent mixing, resulting in better texture and flavor. Additionally, mixers often come with attachments that can be used for other tasks such as grinding meat or making pasta.Cons: Mixers can be quite expensive, especially if you opt for a high-quality, durable model. They also take up a significant amount of counter or storage space, and may not be used frequently enough to justify the cost for some individuals.</p><h2>2. What are the ins and outs of owning a mixer?</h2><p>On the positive side, owning a mixer can greatly enhance your baking and cooking abilities, allowing you to create a wider variety of dishes with greater ease. However, it's important to properly maintain and clean your mixer to ensure it lasts for a long time. It's also important to understand how to use the different attachments and settings to achieve the best results.</p><h2>3. What should I consider when looking at different wattages?</h2><p>The wattage of a mixer can affect its power and performance. Generally, the higher the wattage, the more powerful the mixer will be, allowing for easier mixing of heavier doughs and batters. However, if you primarily plan on using your mixer for lighter tasks, a lower wattage may suffice.</p><h2>4. Are mixers sold at Kohl's and Sam's different from other retailers?</h2><p>While the brand and model of mixers sold at different retailers may vary, they should all perform similarly. However, it's important to research and compare prices and features to ensure you are getting the best deal for your needs.</p><h2>5. How often do you use your mixer and has it been worth the investment?</h2><p>As a Pampered Chef consultant, I use my mixer frequently for various tasks such as mixing dough, making desserts, and even shredding chicken. For me, it has definitely been worth the investment as it has saved me time and effort in the kitchen. However, the frequency of use and value of the investment may vary depending on an individual's cooking and baking habits.</p>

Related to Investing in a Mixer: What are the Pros and Cons?

1. What are the pros and cons of investing in a mixer?

Pros: A mixer can greatly speed up the process of mixing and kneading dough, making it easier to bake breads, pastries, and other desserts. It also allows for more precise and consistent mixing, resulting in better texture and flavor. Additionally, mixers often come with attachments that can be used for other tasks such as grinding meat or making pasta.Cons: Mixers can be quite expensive, especially if you opt for a high-quality, durable model. They also take up a significant amount of counter or storage space, and may not be used frequently enough to justify the cost for some individuals.

2. What are the ins and outs of owning a mixer?

On the positive side, owning a mixer can greatly enhance your baking and cooking abilities, allowing you to create a wider variety of dishes with greater ease. However, it's important to properly maintain and clean your mixer to ensure it lasts for a long time. It's also important to understand how to use the different attachments and settings to achieve the best results.

3. What should I consider when looking at different wattages?

The wattage of a mixer can affect its power and performance. Generally, the higher the wattage, the more powerful the mixer will be, allowing for easier mixing of heavier doughs and batters. However, if you primarily plan on using your mixer for lighter tasks, a lower wattage may suffice.

4. Are mixers sold at Kohl's and Sam's different from other retailers?

While the brand and model of mixers sold at different retailers may vary, they should all perform similarly. However, it's important to research and compare prices and features to ensure you are getting the best deal for your needs.

5. How often do you use your mixer and has it been worth the investment?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, I use my mixer frequently for various tasks such as mixing dough, making desserts, and even shredding chicken. For me, it has definitely been worth the investment as it has saved me time and effort in the kitchen. However, the frequency of use and value of the investment may vary depending on an individual's cooking and baking habits.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Curlyone
  • Shawnna
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
iteachurkid
  • scottcooks
  • General Chat
Replies