• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Incentive Trips No Opportunity for Some

In summary, the recruit lead was not excited about the incentives and now does not realize that they still have an incentive for her to go to National Conference.
pampered1224
Silver Member
I had to do it. The following letter to HO says it and why. I actually had a recruit lead that was very excited about the incentives she might be able to earn. Even the simple one of going to National Conference in 2011 which I never dreamed they would eliminate due to so many of us who work another full time job. But now she is not excited about signing. She is a nurse and works about 60 hours a week.
So... Am I delusional or what? And now it does not even effect me but made me mad for those who thought they were over looked. "This is actually for the people who do the incentive trips. When I attended the January 4th meeting with our entire group we were all very excited about what the upcoming incentives trips would be. Well, I decided to let you know that about half of our consultants were shocked. The over all response was from that group was a collective - "Well, I won't be going anywhere". We were actually shocked that you all dropped the lower level for free National Conference attendance. I was a computer operator/programmer. It also meant I worked 24/7. I was on call as well as working anywhere from 10 to 11 hours per day a lot of times and some weekends. I love Pampered Chef and it was fun trying to at least reach the lower incentive. Now this year, as I am now unemployed, I may be able to achieve $52,000. But there are many out there who will not actually be able to see anything come of their efforts at all. No goal they think is within their grasp to strive for. Given the economy and the fear we all have about loosing our jobs, most people working other jobs do not have the option to say, "Oh I can't work. I have a Pampered Chef party that day." I know where I used to work, if I had ever said that to my boss, the answer would have been, "Well, there's the door." You know what? That won't happen. Economic fear has everyone not willing to take that risk. Is there anyway you might consider reinstating that incentive trip benefit to consultants?"

I for one appreciate you doing that. I've never earned any of the levels in the 2+ years I've been with The Pampered Chef, I certainly start off the year with high hopes for myself. I'm kind of undecided if I want to REALLY go for it or not, because I'm not sure that even at my GREATEST effort, I can get to that point. I've got it in my head that I want to try for it, and just closed a show today for triple points, but I just think too realistic.I think it is very helpful to people like me to have a slightly lower goal to try to attain. If you make the lowest level feel unattainable to people, they may just think "Why bother!?" Of course, I know all the other benefits of being successful with PC...commission, products, smaller incentives along the way, etc. But the bottom line is, you are still watching people around you go for these big things and you feel left in the dust.I think that my director and her director who work together for our cluster meetings realized this. They actually put together 3 more levels below bronze for us to earn.Emerald level...dinner for 2 up the North Shore of Lake Superior
Next level (I forget the name)...dinner for 2 and hotel night's stay up Lake Superior OR
room at the local Indoor Waterpark hotel with wristbands for 4
3rd level (also forgot the name)...Room at the Waterpark Hotel down by Mall of America for 4 or something else I can't even remember...Okay, so my recall of the levels is not so great...but I believe they are 15,000, 20,000, and 30,000 points (not counting double/triple point rewards). This seems TOTALLY attainable!! At least I have SOMETHING to look forward to!But obviously not all directors will offer this. I am very lucky!Thank you John, for your efforts and for thinking about the rest of us!

urbnk8 said:
I think that my director and her director who work together for our cluster meetings realized this. They actually put together 3 more levels below bronze for us to earn.

Emerald level...dinner for 2 up the North Shore of Lake Superior
Next level (I forget the name)...dinner for 2 and hotel night's stay up Lake Superior OR
3rd level (also forgot the name)...Room at the Waterpark Hotel down by Mall of America for 4 or something else I can't even remember...

Okay, so my recall of the levels is not so great...but I believe they are 15,000, 20,000, and 30,000 points (not counting double/triple point rewards). This seems TOTALLY attainable!! At least I have SOMETHING to look forward to!

But obviously not all directors will offer this. I am very lucky!

That is way cool!!!

I was initially a bit disappointed, too. I did notice, though, that the said there likely will be opportunities to earn 1/2 price and free NC. For me this was no different than when they added a recruiting requirement for Level 1. I can see their point about making trip incentives all about trips. I will miss having an equivalent to Level 1, though.

I have earned level 2 trips but I really do see your point. I must cost PC so much money for trips like Maui , and the points are very high so the ones that are going to earn that are working full time on PC 9-15 shows a month . I always thought they should have trips that are ( normal not over the top )
Just to fly 2 people and the stay in Maui must cost over 4000. So why not pick a less expencive place and lower points so more concultants can earn them

Last edited:
Until 2009 the first level was for a gift card ($250 or $300 if you picked it up at Conference) and before that it was for a hotel of your choice for 2 nights.

I hated that they changed it to free conference especially since they added that you needed a recruit too.

For MANY people it is difficult to attain the higher levels and I especially feel bad for those who just miss $5200 or that 4th recruit. They get nothing and they came so close. At least with the lower level they'd get SOMETHING.

The lower level is also something that people who join later in the year can achieve or at least work for.

I am very disappointed in this yet another change. Someone was blaming Buffett the other day. I don't think it is anything to do with him - he leaves his successful companies to their executives. I think it's all about the corporate big shots getting their bonuses and separating the top from the rest of us. Notice all the higher level promotions and the fact that there are less new directors each month? Many directors have lost their status and many more are "paid as" TL's most months because one of the select consultants didn't submit but still have to "perform as" directors for their teams especially if they don't have upline living near them but without the overrides to help them do it. My director said that we are making more money with this new program - yes, perhaps the newest consultants and definitely the upper level but directors and AD's are making less most months. I have 4 SC/TL teams and am paid as TL more than half the time because only 3 of the 8 chosen people submit that month even with me offering incentives, etc.

It used to be that we were rewarded for our efforts. Now unless we recruit constantly we are nothing. Do you get any more help from your upper level directors than you did before the changes?

Sorry this turned into such a big vent.

Last edited:
I do my best to not be Negative about company decisions and policies but I agree. HO is making it harder for part timers to earn the big rewards.

That being said I am glad that the offer so many smaller rewards for consultants during individual months and think this may be part of HO's thinking.

I agree that there are many people who will find the trip levels unattainable.The meeting I attended last week (which wasn't my usual group, since we don't have a local Director and wouldn't have had the materials) seemed less than ecstatic about the announcements. Toronto wasn't a big deal, because that's a fairly common travel destination for people in the Detroit area. And the requirements for Maui are so huge for those who can't dedicate themselves to their biz full time (not that it CAN'T be done - just that it's a real stretch). I'm a little underwhelmed with the destinations, too. I'd prefer something other than a "bathing suit locale," but that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

raebates said:
I can see their point about making trip incentives all about trips.

I guess I didn't understand their whole thing on this...making it all about trips. That to me was an excuse or cop out...even while watching the video I was thinking this. It doesn't make sense to me. Why does it have to be all about trips? To some of us, travel isn't the most important thing. Don't get me wrong, if I earned a trip, I'd TAKE the trip and LOVE it, but I don't mind having other options. With 3 kids, travel isn't the easiest thing to do...with OR without them.

txtloves.gif
the idea of adding extra incentives. I sat down with my husband & told him what I was thinking. He loved it too. So I just sent the e-mail to my team. They are all fairly new to PC and have all been active every month thus far, but I think by lighting a fire under their butts and getting them even MORE motivated that they already were will not only benefit them, but will help me promote to Director much faster (as I explained in my e-mail to them)!!!

Here's what I offered:

Hey Team!

I was reading on Chef Success and there are several consultants upset over the new trip incentives. Their complaints are that it’s unattainable for people who have other jobs besides Pampered Chef to try and earn something this year. I want to prove them WRONG! Obviously working hard to try & achieve the Bronze, Silver or Gold incentive trip will increase your business as well as your monthly Pampered Chef income, but if for some reason you don’t make it, I still don’t want you to walk away empty handed and feeling defeated.
I’m working VERY hard at becoming a Director and keeping the title. In order for me to make that level and keep that level, I am required to have active & productive consultants in my down line. Therefore it benefits me to keep you girls motivated!!! :D

I talked it over with Brian and he agrees that I should offer an extra incentive for 2010. I can only offer this to my 1st & 2nd generations at this time. Hopefully, in the future, I’ll be able to offer it further down the cluster. But since I only make overrides on 1st & 2nd generations right now as a Team Leader, I am forced to restrict the offer to those two levels only. Please note that you can only reap the reward for the highest level earned. Sorry, I can’t do multiple payouts to each of you! ;)
  • Level 1 – If you are active 10 of the 12 months: You’ll earn a $100 Visa Gift Card from me.
  • Level 2 – If you are active 12 of the 12 months: You’ll earn a $125 Visa Gift Card(s) from me.
  • Level 3 – If you earn 15,000 points*: You’ll earn a $150 Visa Gift Card(s) from me.
  • Level 4 – If you earn 20,000 points*: You’ll earn a $200 Visa Gift Card(s) from me.
  • Level 5 – If you earn 30,000 points*: You’ll earn a $300 Visa Gift Card(s) from me.
  • Level 6 – If you earn 40,000 points*: You’ll earn a $400 Visa Gift Card(s) from me.
  • Level 7 – If you earn 50,000 points* or more, but didn’t qualify for a trip: You’ll earn a $500 Visa Gift Card(s) from me.
  • Bronze Level – If you earn 52,000 points with 4 recruits: In addition to the trip to Toronto offered by Pampered Chef, you’ll earn a $500 Visa Gift Card(s) from me.
  • Silver Level – If you earn 80,000 points with 6 recruits: In addition to the trip to Maui offered by Pampered Chef, you’ll earn a $750 Visa Gift Card(s) from me.
  • Gold Level – If you earn 110,000 points with 8 recruits –or– 120,000 points with 0 recruits: In addition to the trip to Maui offered by Pampered Chef, you’ll earn a $1,000 Visa Gift Card(s) from me.
*For levels 3-7, I don’t get paid when you earn double/triple incentive points, so unfortunately I can’t count them for these 5 levels. It’s an even $1 in Commissionable Sales for 1 point. You can still get earn points by recruiting or promoting to Director, Advanced Director or Senior Director

So for those of you who are motivated and actually DO earn Bronze, Silver or Gold … you’ll have money to spend on your trip!!!

Does that help light a fire under you butt? ;)

Sheila

How do I plan to achieve the payouts? I'm going to transfer every penny of the overrides that I get from my 1st & 2nd generation into savings, keeping the overrides on my sales and the Home Office Leads. If my math is correct, it should cover it plus some! :D

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I think the incentives should be about trips. While I love to travel, that's not necessarily a big incentive for me. What I do understand is that if you're calling the incentive "Irresistible Destinations" it makes sense to have all of the rewards be destinations.

I have only been doing this for a year and was really hoping for an incentive to give me a push. My problem though, isn't so much trying to work for the points as it is the dates of travel. My husband and I have a swimming pool business and are back to work during the time of travel. I couldn't even take a few days off for conference- free or not. I understand that they cannot cater to all individual needs. At least they do have the visa card as an incentive for level 2, which I would love! So I still have a goal to work for. I am not familiar with past travel incentives, but I would think being able to earn a few nights to a hotel chain, that would work around your schedule. It is easier to achieve a lower point package, which in return would really give a boast in confindence and feel valued with the company.
But lets face it- everything always come down to $$$, in which I'm sure PC must take into consideration.
At least there are monthly incentives to work for even if it is not a destination trip.
As a whole, who wouldn't love a free trip! But to know I have the opportunity to make $ to help pay off bills is an incentive enough for me.

Our team completely feels the same. The problem with my team is they don't really want to have my leader help them out either. I did email her the ideas I got from here so hopefully we can get motivaqted as a team and maybe earn something:)

raebates said:
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that I think the incentives should be about trips. While I love to travel, that's not necessarily a big incentive for me. What I do understand is that if you're calling the incentive "Irresistible Destinations" it makes sense to have all of the rewards be destinations.

Yeah, that totally makes sense...but maybe they could have chosen a different name? Besides, is Toronto really an IRRESISTIBLE destination? I've been there and LOVED it! But I don't know that I'd call it IRRESISTIBLE...Hawaii, yes.

I'm sorry you guys but quite honestly...they don't HAVE to give us anything!!!
Do your 9-5 jobs offer you free vacations???THIS IS A GIFT!If you don't think you can earn it - then focus on ALL THE OTHER GIFTS they offer us throughout the year - almost every single month they are running incentives from free products to logo wear to NC registration and PC dollars...go for those.I have been on level 2, 3 and 4 trips and I can tell you there are TONS of people on those trips who have 9-5 jobs on top of their Pampered Chef businesses...I have seen Chiropractors, accountants, nurses, teachers, day care providers and then some on these trips. If they can do it, so can each and every one of you.If you want something bad enough, you'll do whatever it takes to earn it. How badly do YOU want it?

dannyzmom said:
Do your 9-5 jobs offer you free vacations???

THIS IS A GIFT!

If you don't think you can earn it - then focus on ALL THE OTHER GIFTS they offer us throughout the year - almost every single month they are running incentives from free products to logo wear to NC registration and PC dollars...go for those.

I have been on level 2, 3 and 4 trips and I can tell you there are TONS of people on those trips who have 9-5 jobs on top of their Pampered Chef businesses...I have seen Chiropractors, accountants, nurses, teachers, day care providers and then some on these trips. If they can do it, so can each and every one of you.

If you want something bad enough, you'll do whatever it takes to earn it. How badly do YOU want it?

ITA with Carolyn! You CAN earn it.

Excellent points Carolyn! And I agree with you. For someone who started who may have started this biz for the Opportunity to earn a trip (not me) it may seem like the Company is making it harder to attain. We all need to remember it is a BONUS! Now, while I am not crazy about Toronto I will not pass it up if... no, WHEN I earn it! My goal this year is to finally reach my business goals! With an out of work DH I need 2 shows a week. With our family schedule and dynamic I have not been able to have this level of shows before. It was a CHOICE we made for our family. I personally an more focused on what I need to do for our family to make ends meet. If I earn a trip as a bonus then all the better. Anyone can do ANYTHING they desire, you just need the desire and drive to achieve it!

Last edited:
Carolyn, thank you so much for your post! I have NEVER earned a trip - never even gotten close to level 1 before - but I'm going to Maui. There, I said it. Granted, I don't work a full-time job, but I am in school full-time and I have five kids age 10 and under, so I would say I work full-time and I am going to earn it no matter what. And, even if I wasn't able to earn it, well, that's not PC's fault. Its an incentive, which means not everyone will earn it, but certainly everyone has the opportunity to. Be it Toronto or Maui, a free trip is a free trip - and I, for one, will not pass it up!

I have to agree with Carolyn, the trip is a bonus! Not a right, and they want you to work hard for it. In all my years of working other jobs, no one has ever offered me a trip for a job well done, let alone a turkey for the holidays.
The trips are attainable, you just have to work for them. You can earn the bronze level trip doing 2 shows a week. This will also earn you everything else Pampered Chef has to offer. You are leaving your house 8 times a month, is it really that hard? I have an inspiring story to share, a few years ago at Leadership I met an Amish lady who had achieved Level 4 of the trip. She has no car, she has no electricity, and has no phone. She had to hire people to drive her (she's not allowed to own a wagon), had to use someone else's computer to input her shows, and had to walk about a mile to get to the closest phone to do customer care calls. If she can overcome all those obstacles, I know each of you can also. These are rewards the company is offering, it's up to you to decide if they are worth working for.

Thanks for the reminder and the very loving kick in the tushie, Carolyn. ;)

Gotta agree with Carolyn, too-- the trips are a nice BONUS. Which is exactly why I haven't made an issue about my general disappointment in the destinations. It would be like being ungrateful for a gift.

Very well put Carolyn.

I know that when I first started with PC over 10 yrs ago, I worked FT and earned the incentive's every year (5 yrs). Since I have been back (3 yrs) I have not really focused on earning anything. Last year I was close $1663 or one recruit qualifying shy of Level 1. That only put a fire under me to work my business even more this year and be consistent.

I still work FT and am looking forward to growing personally and professionally this year, while earning an incentive. It is truly all about what you put into your business and what you want.

John, thank you for sending this letter.

I have called these trips "unattainable destinations." The way I figure it, I'd have to sell more than $4,000 a month just to get to Toronto. Meanwhile, I can (and HAVE) traveled to Toronto twice for far less than the stated value of the trip.

With my full-time job, I'm lucky to stay active ... especially when I have "hosts" who lie to me, dodge my calls and get their phones shut off! I have stayed active by the skin of my teeth, but it's been July since I had a show that was over $300 .. or even much over $200 for that matter.

I wish I had a director like Sheila but instead I have one who takes the activity bonus she gets from me, puts it in her pocket, then asks for donations to cover the cost of renting a place for the meetings!

So here's a challenge we all can live with ... get active, increase your show averages, and increase your income in 2010. Then take everything that is over and above what you made last year and put it in the bank! Then send YOURSELF someplace great!

My first thoughts were similar to John's - when I first heard the locations and requirements for earning.

But, then I realized that if it was something I really wanted - I'd do the work to get it. Neither of the locations holds enough incentive for me to work harder to achieve the trip. I HATE to fly (it makes me sick for 2-3 days afterwards, so I wouldn't enjoy the tropical location anyway) and Toronto...meh...no thanks. Maybe in the summer, but there's a very big possibility it will be COLD still that time of year, and DH really doesn't like big cities anyway.
Not complaining - just saying that although I'll work hard at my business this year, I won't be killing myself to earn a trip. If I do earn one, DH and I already decided I'd take the $$ and put it towards a family vacation that we want to take. I'd determined before hearing the destinations that if it was one of the places we'd dreamed of going - I would work harder than ever to achieve it!

Oh - and I already have One qualified recruit (she turned in her qualifying show last week!) and 3 more in the process of qualifying...and 1500 points other than that, so I'm off to a great start!

I do have to disagree on one point though. I don't believe it is a gift - it is an EARNED benefit. A gift is given w/o strings attached, and this is something, that if you do EARN it, you should be proud of the hard work that got you there!

It is a bonus, though. It's something extra--a little carrot out there. Frankly, this is the only company I've ever worked with that offered routine bonuses. There are bonuses available most months in addition to the trips.

I've readjusted my attitude. Am I disappointed that the incentive level I've been able to earn most years has been eliminated? Yes. Do I still think PC is an awesome company to be affiliated with? Absolutely. Since I've finally gotten the ball rolling with recruiting, maybe I'll hit the mark this year and earn a "medal."

I couldn't agree more with Carolyn. The trips ARE attainable to those that work full time. I work full time and I earned Level 1 last year and was extremely close to earning level 2. The only reason I didn't was because I gave up when I realized that I couldn't take our family to Disney with it being so close to my due date.

If you want something bad enough then you will earn it. It isn't sometheing they GIVE us it is something we have to EARN! I certainly don't get anything like this at my full time job.

You know, every other incentive year, I have looked at the trip and thought to myself that there's no way I can earn it. And then I kick myself when I see others who have done it. And as I'm kicking myself, I always think of this quote:

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." ~ Author Unknown

And now, I think of this quote daily and ask myself which one I am going to be today. It is the daily kick in the pants that I need to make me work so I don't have to continue kicking myself for long! :p

cookie325 said:
You know, every other incentive year, I have looked at the trip and thought to myself that there's no way I can earn it. And then I kick myself when I see others who have done it. And as I'm kicking myself, I always think of this quote:

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." ~ Author Unknown

And now, I think of this quote daily and ask myself which one I am going to be today. It is the daily kick in the pants that I need to make me work so I don't have to continue kicking myself for long! :p

LOVE that quote!

I have to agree w/ Carolyn too, and have been biting my tongue to not say something....

I have been in PC for 6 1/2 years and during that whole time, I only earned level 1 ONCE and that was great...last year I only had 18 pts so I missed it as well. Last year when they announced Disney, I got a fire under me like I had never gotten before. I only had THREE shows booked for Jan last yr, but those shows totalled over $2500 in sales, which was double pts month. I was ahead of where I needed to be! As the months rolled on, I always stayed one month ahead, got more aggressive w/ my attitude and my shows and sales showed it! I qualified for the trip in OCTOBER...way ahead of where I thought I would be! I wanted to take my family to Disney like nobody's business! :) So, just to show that the year before, didn't even make enough to qualify for free conference, next year went well beyond where I needed to be for a TRIP! YOU CAN DO IT! Will it be hard work? YES! But, the money, contacts, etc has been well worth it!

Will I be doing the same thing this year? I'm not sure, I really had a hunger for the Disney trip, for Toronto, not so much, but I ended the year about 11k points over where I needed to be, so I see it could be possible. Would I be heartbroken? Definitely not! . It is a FUN job, but like anything else you work hard for, it is WORK!

I don't know how I feel about that letter that John wrote, I initially expressed disappointment that PC didn't offer a smaller level...and I still feel that way, but I do agree with all the incentives they give out EVERY month it seems, I'll take those to free conference. It's $200 guys..., get into conference club and you won't even miss it, when it's time to register in April, you will have it.

Believe me, if "I" can earn a trip, ANYONE can earn a trip! I proved it to myself!

BethCooks4U said:
Until 2009 the first level was for a gift card ($250 or $300 if you picked it up at Conference) and before that it was for a hotel of your choice for 2 nights.

I hated that they changed it to free conference especially since they added that you needed a recruit too.

For MANY people it is difficult to attain the higher levels and I especially feel bad for those who just miss $5200 or that 4th recruit. They get nothing and they came so close. At least with the lower level they'd get SOMETHING.

The lower level is also something that people who join later in the year can achieve or at least work for.

I am very disappointed in this yet another change. Someone was blaming Buffett the other day. I don't think it is anything to do with him - he leaves his successful companies to their executives. I think it's all about the corporate big shots getting their bonuses and separating the top from the rest of us. Notice all the higher level promotions and the fact that there are less new directors each month? Many directors have lost their status and many more are "paid as" TL's most months because one of the select consultants didn't submit but still have to "perform as" directors for their teams especially if they don't have upline living near them but without the overrides to help them do it. My director said that we are making more money with this new program - yes, perhaps the newest consultants and definitely the upper level but directors and AD's are making less most months. I have 4 SC/TL teams and am paid as TL more than half the time because only 3 of the 8 chosen people submit that month even with me offering incentives, etc.

It used to be that we were rewarded for our efforts. Now unless we recruit constantly we are nothing. Do you get any more help from your upper level directors than you did before the changes?
Sorry this turned into such a big vent.

I have to agree with Beth. I used to be able to earn the $250 GC or free confrence before the recruiting requirements stipulation was added. Even that was a great accomplisment, I felt. Eliminating level 1 is a big dissapointment to the part time PC consultants, IMHO.

It seems very difficult to attain these trips desitnations incentives for the Rest. Each year seems to get more difficult, with more recruiting requirements and such.:(

Good luck to all.

Last edited:
I was disappointed when they added the recruiting requirement. My first year in the business I earned Level 1 when there wasn't a recruiting requirement. When they announced the new incentives the next year I didn't think I could make it. But then I thought well I might as well try! And I got that plus the one from last year! I would love to earn a trip and plan on working towards it. Will I make it? Maybe? Who knows but (my favorite quote for the year): If you aim for the moon and miss it at least you land in the stars. Which means even if I don't earn the trip there will be so many more positive things that I may earn or learn this year through my business!

wadesgirl said:
I was disappointed when they added the recruiting requirement. My first year in the business I earned Level 1 when there wasn't a recruiting requirement. When they announced the new incentives the next year I didn't think I could make it. But then I thought well I might as well try! And I got that plus the one from last year! I would love to earn a trip and plan on working towards it. Will I make it? Maybe? Who knows but (my favorite quote for the year): If you aim for the moon and miss it at least you land in the stars. Which means even if I don't earn the trip there will be so many more positive things that I may earn or learn this year through my business!

That's a great attitude- and I love the quote too!

I so agree that these trips are majorly a wonderful gift from our company. I know they are not a right. But with HO being so "goal" orientated, they sort of took that goal away for a lot of people. And I know that it is obtainable for most 9 to 5ers. I also know as I was not a typical 9 to 5er. My hours were never set in stone. My general hours were from 8:45 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. BUT I also had to be at home at 8 p.m. Monday through Wednesday every night to run our day end procedures. And there were many times it would be Monday through Friday so our collections department could do collection calls later into the night. And Saturdays and Sundays were the days I went in to run updates or yearly letters or special projects. And most times these were not preplanned. You did them when the requesting department was ready for them. I found many consultants were in positions that had started running OT shifts that were mandatory as the companies they worked for were very much not hiring new people but the work still needed to get done. And most of them too were told the day of or the week before a weekend OT stint. How do you plan for that? So basically what those people hear, as my recruit did and she told me this, was that if you want to do PC and earn anything major - you can't work a full time job that is unpredictable. We don't live in that type of economic climate any more. When they say "jump" you simply ask how high! I had to cancel several parties, actually 9, last year because of "extra" stuff I needed to do for work. I missed the free NC by $5000. Do you know that with my show average and had I been able to do those shows, I would have gotten it even though I was laid up for two months. It was totally obtainable for me. I set my sights on it in January and worked my butt off to get there. Now, if I had been employed still, my January and February would still have been lean so there is no making up for that as I work almost every weekend in those two months. Then in March and early April I loose another 4 weeks of productive parties. Then again in June and August. Those I could predict. But then again, I never knew when the report runs would actually occur date wise. So... that is why I brought it up. I see both sides and I do understand HO and I understand what you said Carolyn but have you really seen the totality of the other side? Unless we actually walk in someone elses shoes, we can not clearly see what they are facing. It is easy to say "Well I work 40 hours a week and I can do it". But I can say to that I work 40 hours a week and I can't do it. Why? Because from week to week I only knew APPROXIMATELY when I could do parties or not. I never could book far out and booking in close from one party to another seemed not to work for me. So... Tell me the words please to use with this recruit to explain that even with a screwy schedule, she can make it to Toranto at least. I am very open to suggestions.

pampered1224 said:
Tell me the words please to use with this recruit to explain that even with a screwy schedule, she can make it to Toronto at least. I am very open to suggestions.
Does she work the same schedule as you? If you come the the "recruiting table" with more of a negative take on the trip levels this year then so will she. She will have to decide for herself how bad she wants it and will make it happen. Everyone earns the trips differently...my AD earns them (level 4) by August every year. Another AD (above me and my AD) kicks major butt to earn the trips the last 5 months of the year. Yes, she does killer back to back shows and sells and recruits her brains out..but that's just how she operates every year. One is slow and consistent, and the other takes it easy then gets the fire lit under her and makes it happen under the gun. If earning the trips is your recruit's "why" then communicate to her that ANYONE can earn any trip they want, and it's up to the individual to determine if they WANT to earn it. "That's the cool thing! In PC any consultant at any level can earn trips! You don't have to be up to a certain "level" to get priority picking of your destination!" (meaning D's and above get to go on trips...etc)It does not make sense to tell her (if you had been telling her or what not) that it's a shame b/c prior years there was a lower "level 1" and then they threw recruiting requirements in. It all doesn't matter. It is what it is and you, as her recruiter, are there to help her reach her goal(s). Try not to let your opinions (dislikes) about the certain promotions deter her decision making...b/c you will find she will not sign (more than likely) and you two will never know if she could have earned a trip. I hope this all makes sense. It's kinda like that saying that if you had a horrible day and you are on your way to a cooking show to leave all that mental junk at the door before you walk into the hosts home. Same goes for recruiting. There are things that we all have "beefs" about (personal choices/feelings) and don't hand that over to the potential recruit. She wants to earn a trip? SHE CAN! You will help her reach her goals and lay the path for her to reach it. :thumbup:

Liquid Sky said:
Does she work the same schedule as you?

If you come the the "recruiting table" with more of a negative take on the trip levels this year then so will she. She will have to decide for herself how bad she wants it and will make it happen. Everyone earns the trips differently...my AD earns them (level 4) by August every year. Another AD (above me and my AD) kicks major butt to earn the trips the last 5 months of the year. Yes, she does killer back to back shows and sells and recruits her brains out..but that's just how she operates every year. One is slow and consistent, and the other takes it easy then gets the fire lit under her and makes it happen under the gun.

If earning the trips is your recruit's "why" then communicate to her that ANYONE can earn any trip they want, and it's up to the individual to determine if they WANT to earn it. "That's the cool thing! In PC any consultant at any level can earn trips! You don't have to be up to a certain "level" to get priority picking of your destination!" (meaning D's and above get to go on trips...etc)

It does not make sense to tell her (if you had been telling her or what not) that it's a shame b/c prior years there was a lower "level 1" and then they threw recruiting requirements in. It all doesn't matter. It is what it is and you, as her recruiter, are there to help her reach her goal(s). Try not to let your opinions (dislikes) about the certain promotions deter her decision making...b/c you will find she will not sign (more than likely) and you two will never know if she could have earned a trip.

I hope this all makes sense. It's kinda like that saying that if you had a horrible day and you are on your way to a cooking show to leave all that mental junk at the door before you walk into the hosts home. Same goes for recruiting. There are things that we all have "beefs" about (personal choices/feelings) and don't hand that over to the potential recruit. She wants to earn a trip? SHE CAN! You will help her reach her goals and lay the path for her to reach it. :thumbup:

Very well put Caressa!!!

pampered1224 said:
Tell me the words please to use with this recruit to explain that even with a screwy schedule, she can make it to Toranto at least. I am very open to suggestions.

I think it is a misconception you have to do a ton of shows to earn a trip. I earned level 2 Disney, in my first year of business, and I only did 41 cooking shows this year. Anything is possible!
I don't focus on the trips when recruiting. Find out their WHY and focus on that!! I do talk about the EXTRAS PC rewards us with on a small and large scale, but they are just that... EXTRAS!

My take is this....was I disappointed that the first level was "so high"? Yes- a little, but I decided to look at the numbers and see what it would take for me to get Level 2! (Aim for the moon!). Surprisingly...if I can do the 2 shows a week average, increase my SHOW average at those said shows, and then throw in 3-4 catalog shows a month...It could likely happen! Now- of course, the recruiting- I'm shooting for 10 to get the points....but if I'm doing 8-10 shows a month, I'll be in front of alot of people....average at my show is 10...so about 80-100 people every month. If 1 person per month between now and November signed up, I'd have my 10 people!I know my first goal to start getting this ball rolling is to improve my Customer Care!! Then I need to get my phone scripts on paper and in front of me so I can be on the phone more regularly. Will I make Maui? I hope so, but if I miss and get Toronto- I'll make that a wonderful trip with my family (I'm looking at it for Niagra Falls personally...not so much the city.)I think it's great that some directors are offering extra incentives- because it only helps THEM, since their team will be motivated and sell (which helps the director!). THe cluster I was with (hospitality) when we saw the video- no one said anything about the trips!! It was weird. You could almost sense the thoughts going through everyone's minds...but I want to achieve something. Worst case scenario....I build my business up, have nice fat commission checks and earn all of the OTHER Fabulous incentives throughout the year (hopefully including free NC for THIS year!) and if I don't make the trip, I'll probably have a better poised business for the next one.Play with the numbers....you might surprise yourself. It can't hurt to try, right?? Keep a POSITIVE attitude about it for your recruits, too....otherwise, you won't have many recruits trying too hard! (which will impact your paycheck too!) Encourage them to do their best to build their business and get the other great incentives. If they start mid-year, help them build the business up so that starting the beginning of the next year, they have a foundation in place for earning what comes in 2012. They'll still have the other incentives to work for even in the later months of the year- think of all we've had this year, like totes, Sell-A-Thon products, and even PC Bucks which can be used for NC and other things. Ok...I'll stop now. :D

Last edited:
dannyzmom said:
Do your 9-5 jobs offer you free vacations???

THIS IS A GIFT!

If you don't think you can earn it - then focus on ALL THE OTHER GIFTS they offer us throughout the year - almost every single month they are running incentives from free products to logo wear to NC registration and PC dollars...go for those.

I have been on level 2, 3 and 4 trips and I can tell you there are TONS of people on those trips who have 9-5 jobs on top of their Pampered Chef businesses...I have seen Chiropractors, accountants, nurses, teachers, day care providers and then some on these trips. If they can do it, so can each and every one of you.

If you want something bad enough, you'll do whatever it takes to earn it. How badly do YOU want it?

Two great points made here - first that the trip is ON TOP of everything else we earn - commission, free products and other incentives during the year. Second that ANY goal is attainable if you are willing to think outside your box and work your patootie off.

Right around Christmas, Oprah featured a woman from Africa who was not allowed to be educated, was married very young and abused by her husband, and lived in a small village. When she was in her 20's with 3 - 4 kids, she met a woman from Heifer Intl, who told her anything is attainable. She proceeded to earn bachelors and masters degrees and is on track to earn her PhD. She and her children live in the US, and she divorced the abuser and remarried.

When you read about those situations, it makes earning a trip seem either trivial or attainable. You choose and let that guide you.

I agree. But please, let me add a personal one of my own.
"People who believe it CAN be done should go full speed ahead, and not waste time assuming that everyone can do what they can do."
Me
In other words, I would never, ever, ever take your goals away from you. Please do not set goals for me, and chide me for meeting expectations I find unreasonable for me and my situation.It is YOUR LIFE, and YOUR WAY! Not YOUR LIFE and SOMEBODY ELSE'S WAY. I can relate to John. I too work a full-time job with very odd hours, frequent second shifts, special projects and weekend shifts. I can GUESS as to what weekends I will be working but I have been wrong in the past. It's typically one or two weekends a month.I, too, am grateful for regular ongoing incentives. I can't meet them much of the time, however, and that is OK with me. For instance, this is the first year I have not made November sell a thon. Not because I did not have two November shows, but because I did not have them in the time frame set for me. Only because my Nov. 26 host agreed to have her show submitted as a December show did I meet any SAT level at all!But even that is more than my previous product line gave me ... I remember having to sell thousands in a given time period just to get a small selection of the new product line ... and it was always in a month when it was HARDEST to sell!John ... I would tell your recruit to strive for other incentives aside from the trips if she's daunted by the requirements. There are plenty of carrots aside from this one.

Di_Can_Cook said:
In other words, I would never, ever, ever take your goals away from you. Please do not set goals for me, and chide me for meeting expectations I find unreasonable for me and my situation.

Di, I was not attempting to chide you for saying that the trip is unattainable for you or set goals for you, as is apparent if you read my post. Only you know your personal situation and what you're capable of. As I said, that is a quote that I tell myself daily when I think it can't be done, because in reality, I know it can. My message was simply to share with others how I have often told myself that I couldn't do it and how I am not allowing myself to indulge in any more negative self-talk this time around. As has been said before in other threads, whether you think you can or think you can't - you're right.

I wasn't speaking directly to one person ... just making a general statement. There seems to be an epidemic in our society of people assuming that others can do things just because they can.Then again my day/night/evening job is in a profession that ranked poorly (185th on a list of 200 jobs) in terms of income, outlook, stress and other factors. I'm wondering if John and his friend are Ironworkers, Roustabouts or Stevedores!

An observation that makes me wonder...
I notice consultants both on this board and on my own team who spend a tremendous amount of time complaining and being negative. These are often the same people who "can never get a booking" or "can't earn trips" or "have a hard time reaching even level 1 of sell-a-thon." So...this observation makes me wonder - do these same consultants give off negative vibes at their shows, too? Because I am sure that if they do, that explains why they struggle with bookings and meeting goals. I had a consultant on my team years ago who was a whiner, a Debby Downer...I went with her to one of her shows and along with the rest of the guests couldn't wait til the evening was over. She was negative even at her show...it was no wonder she got no bookings and ended up leaving the business. She has since tried 2 other direct sales lines, got laid off from her day job and now does in-home daycare.
I guess it all leads back to what what Nicole said earlier - whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right.

I certainly do not want to turn this into a "my plate is fuller than yours" but here is a very brief discription of my life, my life with PC and my goals.

My full time job is a school food service director overseeing 50 employees in 8 self prep kitchens who feed 3800 to 4000 students a day. I also work all but 4 weeks in the summer (only about 10 business days are off in a row...4 of which are spent going to Chicago). 60% of our students are children of the Fort Drum Army Post. Their brave parents are either serving in Iraq or Afghanastan while the other parent is home keeping the home going and raising their beautiful children. With every child in and out...paperwork is required and lots of it. There is a constant swinging door of families moving.

Then, I do (and love) PC. Friday, Saturday and Sundays. I also have a team of about 10 active out of about 20. 2 Team Leaders and one 2nd gen TL. Many Sr. consultants. Have been in 10 yrs. have earned a trip card, 7 day Caribbean cruise, Disney, Atlantis, 3 day Caribbean cruise.

Then soon I will be generating letters for a small family business of renting 2cottages for the summer for the family. In May I will spend several days spring cleaning both the size of small homes with lots of unhappy spiders when I arrive. My out of town brother and I had a 100 foot seawall put in...my half...paid for by my commissions. Every Satuday I will be cleaning a cottage for the next rentors (long story, but right now I have all expences and no income from this).

I assist my parents with their doctor visits and many other things. And I have a 19 year old who although does not live in my house...I still love him and help raise him. (he has been on 3 of my earned trips)

My PC goals for 2010:
Promote to AD
Hoping to earn the first diamond on my ruby ring
Silver level to Hawaii

This is one of my dream trips that I have been hoping for. I am really digging in and will enjoy every bit of it. And my commission check will be helping buy one of my Dad's hearing aids.

"Incentive" Hawaii is a HUGE carrot and I will do all I can to earn it. It will take all of my efforts.

I understand that the bar has been set very high. But I also look at companies that have gone under in the past year. Home Interiors, Big Yellow Box and now At Home America is "re-organizing". Tastefully Simple re-aligned their levels and recruiting. It looked very much like PC. Times ARE tough and I want PC to survive just as much as I want Hawaii.

I am in agreement with Carolyn. Now I have to go warm up my phone!

Last edited:
OK. Points seen. You know that is very true. I think I did not see everything I needed to see from my fellow consultants to make a clear determination here. I am now wondering if the ones that were disappointed in the levels are the ones who are negative thinkers. Oooooo yuck! I just did a hypocritical move! I am not walking in their shoes either so I DON'T know why they were so upset. Geez! What a dope! Get out the wet noodles Carolyn! I know I have a negativity but that was built into me by my own work conditions. I hated that I had no control over my schedule and had to cancel parties to keep my full time job. But I was too scared to say "I can't I have something else to do." So that said, I think I know what to say to my gal about it. I think she was so focused on the BIG CARROTS - she has known me for almost 5 years now and knew most of the details of those incentives - that she has forgotten about all the little carrots I have gotten. Which are obtainable, which are neat and great to work toward. I know I love the spurts of energy and the challenges to myself it takes to get them. And there is nothing wrong with setting the bar higher as it gives us a reason to reach higher. Yes, for sure, there will be people who will never think they can do it. But then again, there will be people who will always try too! I just have to let her know about all the little stuff that can come her way!

I think what some of us are saying is that we understand our own situations and the reality of such a high goal. I KNOW it CAN be done with a full time job, etc...ABSOLUTELY. But, I know what my priorities are and I know I can't work full time, do PC "full time" and still see my children and take good care of my family. If I can get enough shows to quit my full time job, then great! I will go for it! I would LOVE that!

I understand also that the incentive trips are exactly that...incentive trips. They want to entice us to sell more and recruit more. Obviously. But we are saying that it would be nice if there was an incentive to make those of us who know what our limits are to work a little harder within our own means.

Carolyn, if that comment was addressed to me, I will have to address it quickly and say NO. Maybe I am guilty of not making enough calls ... maybe I have a fear of being pushy, but no, I'm not negative at my shows. I just fell into a trap where I did far more catalog shows than live shows (which work better for my schedule) and it is biting me in the tail. This is something I realize and intend to work on in the new year.Also ... this is the place I come to VENT. Often it is a safe place for that. I said very little about the trips until I saw that others felt the same way, because trips have never been a big goal for me anyway. And you bet I complained about Sell a Thon, because this is the first year they changed the requirements and it seems like they are getting more and more stringent. My first year, you could submit a late November show by the 4th or 5th of the month and it still counted, by the next SAT they started the "hold and submit" rule, and this November was the first year they required all level 1 shows to be in by Nov. 15 to count. I felt like PC was changing the rules in order to hand out less free product and hoped I was wrong at the same time! But at no time did I whine to my November hosts that they were costing me these products when they dragged their feet. I sucked it up, put on my big girl panties and played the hand I was dealt!I do appreciate the encouragement people are providing on here to strive for the trips, but those of us who feel like selling $4,000 a month each month need other goals, and thank heaven PC provides them! Sometimes I meet them, sometimes I don't but I keep on keeping on. Meanwhile, as a single, the job that pays my bills and the job that gives me (increasingly cruddy) health insurance is the one I will focus on ... even if it means being cynical for a living!

Incentives of all kinds with PC are much tougher to earn. For most of my PC career, we earned the same incentives but had to submit that in a given month no matter when the show was held. The incentives are much harder to earn, no doubt. Times are tougher and so is keeping a company our size going.

And you do have to set priorities and strike a balance with family, etc. One of my consultants wanted the trip to Disney so badly. She has one teenager, two under the age of 4. She does not have a full time job outside of the home, but her husband has been deployed since last August. She and the family keep in touch through Skype. It is 5:30 am in the Middle East when it is 9:30 pm here. So when the kids are settled for the night, she talks to him. She is active in her church and likes to scrapbook. And she hosts our monthly meeting in her home.

She doubted if she would get this trip, but with encouragement from her husband, her recruiter and myself, she dug in and went for it. She literally had black circles under her eyes and was going to stop doing parties when her husband came home for R & R for 2 weeks in Dec. He said no...she still needed to do parties, that they would have time together and he could catch up with the kids. She earned it and to see her so excited to get rewarded for her hard work was awesome. His tour ends the last part of May or early June...just in time to go to Florida on the trip.

Venting is fine and we all do it. Encouraging each other and helping find ways to help someone get by hurdles benefits everyone.

I realize too that if something happens in my life such as an illness, etc. all my plans would change. But for now I am going to push a little harder each day and if I don't make it, I know I will have tried all that I am capable to do.

urbnk8 said:
I for one appreciate you doing that. I've never earned any of the levels in the 2+ years I've been with The Pampered Chef, I certainly start off the year with high hopes for myself. I'm kind of undecided if I want to REALLY go for it or not, because I'm not sure that even at my GREATEST effort, I can get to that point. I've got it in my head that I want to try for it, and just closed a show today for triple points, but I just think too realistic.

I think it is very helpful to people like me to have a slightly lower goal to try to attain. If you make the lowest level feel unattainable to people, they may just think "Why bother!?" Of course, I know all the other benefits of being successful with PC...commission, products, smaller incentives along the way, etc. But the bottom line is, you are still watching people around you go for these big things and you feel left in the dust.

I think that my director and her director who work together for our cluster meetings realized this. They actually put together 3 more levels below bronze for us to earn.

Emerald level...dinner for 2 up the North Shore of Lake Superior
3rd level (also forgot the name)...Room at the Waterpark Hotel down by Mall of America for 4 or something else I can't even remember...

Okay, so my recall of the levels is not so great...but I believe they are 15,000, 20,000, and 30,000 points (not counting double/triple point rewards). This seems TOTALLY attainable!! At least I have SOMETHING to look forward to!

But obviously not all directors will offer this. I am very lucky!

Thank you John, for your efforts and for thinking about the rest of us!

How fantastic!

Di_Can_Cook said:
Carolyn, if that comment was addressed to me, I will have to address it quickly and say NO. Maybe I am guilty of not making enough calls ... maybe I have a fear of being pushy, but no, I'm not negative at my shows. I just fell into a trap where I did far more catalog shows than live shows (which work better for my schedule) and it is biting me in the tail. This is something I realize and intend to work on in the new year.

No, it was not directed at any one person specifically. Like I said, it was a general observation not only on this board but within my own team as well.
Negativity breeds negativity, plain and simple.

Once again, I have to agree with Carolyn with regard to the negative attitude being pervasive. You may not even realize that you are projecting it. I have asked my director to come to one of my shows and do a check on me, as I think I let my non-so-perky attitude about recruiting show through. She has not found the time and I have not followed up recently.

When all else fails, I remember that The Pampered Chef is a business and ultimately their goal is to make a profit. That drives the good stuff (great training, lots of job aids, lots of smaller incentives through the year) and not not so good stuff (focus on recruiting, higher and higher requirements for the incentive trips).

<h2>1. What are the incentive trips and how can I earn them?</h2><p>Pampered Chef offers incentive trips as a way to reward and recognize our consultants for their hard work and dedication. These trips are earned by achieving certain sales goals and can include destinations like Hawaii, Mexico, and Europe. You can earn these trips by consistently working your business and reaching your sales targets.</p><h2>2. Why was the lower level for free National Conference attendance dropped?</h2><p>Our decision to eliminate the lower level for free National Conference attendance was based on a variety of factors, including the current economic climate and the need to balance the costs of offering these trips with the overall success of our business. We understand that this change may be disappointing to some, but we are constantly evaluating and adjusting our incentives to best support our consultants.</p><h2>3. Can I still earn the incentive trips if I work another full-time job?</h2><p>Yes, you can still earn the incentive trips while working another full-time job. We understand that many of our consultants have other responsibilities and commitments outside of their Pampered Chef business. As long as you consistently work towards your sales goals and meet the criteria for the trips, you can still earn them.</p><h2>4. What if I am unable to achieve the sales goals for the incentive trips?</h2><p>We understand that not everyone will be able to achieve the sales goals for the incentive trips. While we do encourage all of our consultants to work towards these goals, we also offer a variety of other incentives and rewards throughout the year. This includes recognition for top sellers, bonuses for reaching certain sales levels, and more.</p><h2>5. Is there any possibility of reinstating the free National Conference attendance incentive?</h2><p>We appreciate your feedback and understand your disappointment regarding the elimination of the lower level for free National Conference attendance. However, at this time, we do not have any plans to reinstate this specific incentive. We are constantly evaluating and adjusting our incentives to best support our consultants and the overall success of our business.</p>

1. What are the incentive trips and how can I earn them?

Pampered Chef offers incentive trips as a way to reward and recognize our consultants for their hard work and dedication. These trips are earned by achieving certain sales goals and can include destinations like Hawaii, Mexico, and Europe. You can earn these trips by consistently working your business and reaching your sales targets.

2. Why was the lower level for free National Conference attendance dropped?

Our decision to eliminate the lower level for free National Conference attendance was based on a variety of factors, including the current economic climate and the need to balance the costs of offering these trips with the overall success of our business. We understand that this change may be disappointing to some, but we are constantly evaluating and adjusting our incentives to best support our consultants.

3. Can I still earn the incentive trips if I work another full-time job?

Yes, you can still earn the incentive trips while working another full-time job. We understand that many of our consultants have other responsibilities and commitments outside of their Pampered Chef business. As long as you consistently work towards your sales goals and meet the criteria for the trips, you can still earn them.

4. What if I am unable to achieve the sales goals for the incentive trips?

We understand that not everyone will be able to achieve the sales goals for the incentive trips. While we do encourage all of our consultants to work towards these goals, we also offer a variety of other incentives and rewards throughout the year. This includes recognition for top sellers, bonuses for reaching certain sales levels, and more.

5. Is there any possibility of reinstating the free National Conference attendance incentive?

We appreciate your feedback and understand your disappointment regarding the elimination of the lower level for free National Conference attendance. However, at this time, we do not have any plans to reinstate this specific incentive. We are constantly evaluating and adjusting our incentives to best support our consultants and the overall success of our business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Karen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lisaterwilliger
Replies
Views
gaddischef
  • chefsteph07
  • General Chat
Replies