• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

ifMy Life Depended on My Ability to Sew...i'd Be Doomed...

In summary, Janet's sewing machine wasn't working, she couldn't keep a straight line, and the hair on her clothespin doll kept sliding off. She had to tie it, and her kids helped her with the project.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
So, we were working on DD's project for school...it was fun but quite frustrating!First, my sewing machine seemed to be acting up, then I realized it was the user. I had bumped the lever to fill a bobbin... Not to mention, I can't keep a straight line anymore!Then, it took 4 tries to glue hair on this clothespin doll...it kept sliding off...But after much work, DD's clothespin doll is almost done! :D She is so excited!
janetupnorth-albums-schooldays-picture1189-fun-but-frustrating-school-project.jpg

Last edited:
How cute!!

Thats really cute Janet.

That's adorable!

She is so cute Janet!!!! I know how you feel about sewing I can doing quilting and make quilts but I can't sew clothes at all. I didn't get that part from my grandmother which I did my mother can't sew at all... my grandmother was a professional semist for Sears and Jcpenny when my mom was a little girl and when my mother had me and my brother sears and jcpenny sent her a package of clothes for each of us that her mother and sewn I still have mine and my brother has his. I can remember my grandmother sewing and her telling me that a big truck would back up to the house once a week and unload fabric and take all the clothes sewn my mother said she never had store boughten clothes my grandmother would be able to look at the clothes and come home and sew them. I wish I would of gotten that part of the sewning gen.

So... why are you doing her project? I always helped with ideas and was right there to guide my my kids did their own. The doll is cute but she could have glued the lace together and gotten the same effect.

Sorry, Janet, don't take it personally - I don't mean to be jumping on you about this, but parents doing their kid's projects is a pet peeve of mine. One school my kids attended had a major project for 4th graders and it was well known that it was the parents who did it. We didn't want our son to get a bad grade or be embarrassed by his being less impressive than the others' so we were dreading having to break down and do his project so he'd pass the grade. As it happened DH changed jobs and we moved before the project - we teased that the project was the reason we moved.:rolleyes:

I don't have a sewing bone in my body...thats what Mother In Law's are for...she is amazing!! I told her she should sell her stuff!

Janet, at least you OWN a sewing machine..I can't sew even a button!
LOL

chefsteph07 said:
Janet, at least you OWN a sewing machine..I can't sew even a button!
LOL

Thats where I am at!! LOL!!

I ripped a seam in one of my favorite nylon bags and my husband actually sewed it up for me! I would have just thrown it away...sad, I know, I should learn how to do a basic stitch but I never have...

Beth - she was working with me every step of the way!1. She threaded the machine, but I couldn't even get it to work at first so she couldn't!
2. She crocheted the chain for the sweater herself.
3. She glued the hair the first 3 times but it kept sliding so I finally had to tie it for her.
4. She picked all the materials out herself.If you noted my original post it said WE, it didn't say "I".I make my kids do their work and research, but this is meant to be a project with parent help - the kids are 7 years old. The teacher knows what part Sammie did and what I helped her with. No hard feelings, but you did ask me personally so I responded.

chefsteph07 said:
I ripped a seam in one of my favorite nylon bags and my husband actually sewed it up for me! I would have just thrown it away...sad, I know, I should learn how to do a basic stitch but I never have...

My DH passed Sammie and I trying to work last night and laughed that he could probably sew better than us. To which DD replied, "But I can spell better Daddy." (Sadly, it's true...)

Hey - at least you own a sewing machine!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
Hey - at least you own a sewing machine!:D

It was a gift from my parents a few years ago - otherwise I wouldn't! :rolleyes:

Sammie has already started crocheting so I'm hoping she can learn to sew too (other than from me). I was actually good at it in 8th grade...made a two-toned jogging suit, pleated shorts with pockets, zipper and hook. Don't know what happened from there...now I can only fix computers, conveyors, antennas, etc.

I can still crochet some though! Enough for scarves and simple blankets. :)

You and me both sister! Cute Girl! I don't own a machine and I can't hem worth squat. Can you say HELP ME Mama when I need something done! lol

That's adorable Janet. You and DD should both be proud of yourselves!

looks good to me! and if your DD enjoyed this project it sounds to me like if you started to nurture this creative side she might grow to love crafts even more. the only dangerous thing about crafts is they can be addicting... i had to curb my addiction. i'm still slowly cutting down my imense collection. my love affair with sewing will never go away. funny thing is, i love to sew, i HATE wearing homemade things. i really do. it is sad. i should really take up quilting. i love crafting so much i'm considering quitting PC so i can craft and not be worrying about how my calendar isn't how i want it (full)or worrying about if the next group will be more receptive. anyway, it looks good! you 2 should be proud of yourselves!

princessmeshelle said:
looks good to me! and if your DD enjoyed this project it sounds to me like if you started to nurture this creative side she might grow to love crafts even more. the only dangerous thing about crafts is they can be addicting... i had to curb my addiction. i'm still slowly cutting down my imense collection. my love affair with sewing will never go away. funny thing is, i love to sew, i HATE wearing homemade things. i really do. it is sad. i should really take up quilting. i love crafting so much i'm considering quitting PC so i can craft and not be worrying about how my calendar isn't how i want it (full)or worrying about if the next group will be more receptive. anyway, it looks good! you 2 should be proud of yourselves!

If you love to sew and hate wearing it, sell it!!!!

I don't have the patience for it. and i'm a perfectionist... that is why i'm thinking of quilting... i can take my time and make it perfect and i won't have to worry about alterations.... i hat sewing up something and having to alter it 500 times before it fits the way it should.

Very cute, janet :)
I can't even sew on a button :) seriously!!

So, Sammie turned in her doll Tuesday. The next day I explained to the teacher the struggles with the hair, etc., and how Sammie made the chain for the sweater but I had to finish it for her. The teacher gave ME a long lecture on how this was supposed to be a parent/child project and more parent than child due to the size, etc. Then I told her that Sammie forgot to bring her sheet in that day. The teacher said, "What sheet?" I said the one she had to write about the doll's name, date of birth, country of birth, etc. She said, "Sammie didn't have to do that, she just needed to know what relative it was made after." (It was supposed to be an immigrant or pilgrim). She said, "I have a feeling you should be ready for many years of extended homework or her doing more than asked." Silly girl...

janetupnorth said:
So, Sammie turned in her doll Tuesday. The next day I explained to the teacher the struggles with the hair, etc., and how Sammie made the chain for the sweater but I had to finish it for her. The teacher gave ME a long lecture on how this was supposed to be a parent/child project and more parent than child due to the size, etc.

Then I told her that Sammie forgot to bring her sheet in that day. The teacher said, "What sheet?" I said the one she had to write about the doll's name, date of birth, country of birth, etc. She said, "Sammie didn't have to do that, she just needed to know what relative it was made after." (It was supposed to be an immigrant or pilgrim). She said, "I have a feeling you should be ready for many years of extended homework or her doing more than asked."

Silly girl...

Gheesh - what a problem child that Sammie is!:rolleyes::D;)

janetupnorth said:
So, Sammie turned in her doll Tuesday. The next day I explained to the teacher the struggles with the hair, etc., and how Sammie made the chain for the sweater but I had to finish it for her. The teacher gave ME a long lecture on how this was supposed to be a parent/child project and more parent than child due to the size, etc.

Then I told her that Sammie forgot to bring her sheet in that day. The teacher said, "What sheet?" I said the one she had to write about the doll's name, date of birth, country of birth, etc. She said, "Sammie didn't have to do that, she just needed to know what relative it was made after." (It was supposed to be an immigrant or pilgrim). She said, "I have a feeling you should be ready for many years of extended homework or her doing more than asked."

Silly girl...

Clearly your child has gotten out of hand! :) ;) :D

It is the cutest little doll I've ever seen! :)

Can you send me directions on how to make one? I'd like to do that with my niece this weekend!

Here is what someone has out on web: http://www.essortment.com/all/howtomakeclot_rgvd.htmSammie's teacher gave her the clothespin, head, pipe cleaner, scrap of cloth/lace and the hat/hair pieces.

janetupnorth said:

Silly girl...

HAHA! and we can't even get his 6 yo to do his homework half the time without a fight! good for her!

ChefBeckyD said:
Gheesh - what a problem child that Sammie is!:rolleyes::D;)

I'm sure you and I will have some lovely stories about the boys in a few years!!!!!!!!!

janetupnorth said:
I'm sure you and I will have some lovely stories about the boys in a few years!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I just doubt that mine will include doing too much homework!

ChefBeckyD said:
Yeah, I just doubt that mine will include doing too much homework!
Yeah, more like...Teacher: "Did he tell you what he did today?"
One of us: "No, what."
Teacher: "You mean he didn't tell you he figured out that the hinge on the desk has 4 parts and if you take one off you can close the desk lid at an angle?"
One of us: "Oh...."
Teacher: "...and that if you take 4 bolts of your friend seat, they fall on the floor when they sit down?"Ah, it's going to be fun... :rolleyes:

janetupnorth said:
Yeah, more like...

Teacher: "Did he tell you what he did today?"
One of us: "No, what."
Teacher: "You mean he didn't tell you he figured out that the hinge on the desk has 4 parts and if you take one off you can close the desk lid at an angle?"
One of us: "Oh...."
Teacher: "...and that if you take 4 bolts of your friend seat, they fall on the floor when they sit down?"

Ah, it's going to be fun... :rolleyes:

Funny you should mention that - since just a couple days ago he asked me if when he became a first grader, would he get a desk with a lid on it?:eek:

And did I tell you about his newest injury? He was jumping from the arm of the couch to the arm of the chair - trying to see if he could balance just on the arm. The chair is a swivel rocker....so not stationary - that just added to the challenge of balancing, I guess. (I wasn't in the room) Well, he slipped, and pitched head first into the bookcase. I saw this happen as I walked into the room too late to do anything about it. Now, for Christmas pictures, he has a gash on his cheekbone, and not only a black eye, but also a black and blue cheek. Lovely!

And he is most interested in the fact that a black eye can also be referred to as a shiner.:rolleyes:

Boys can be so much fun. You both will have so much fun. I truly miss my boys being smaller (24, 20).

This is a picture of my DD's senior prom dress I made. I have made all but one of my girls prom dresses (2 girls).

Attachments

• lendzy's pics 004.jpg
    lendzy's pics 004.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 252

Related to ifMy Life Depended on My Ability to Sew...i'd Be Doomed...

1. How did you become interested in sewing?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the process of creating something from scratch. Sewing allows me to use my hands and be creative in a different way than my scientific work.

2. What are some common mistakes beginners make when sewing?

Some common mistakes include not properly threading the machine, not using the correct needle for the fabric, and not measuring and cutting fabric accurately. It's important to take your time and follow instructions carefully when starting out.

3. How do you troubleshoot issues with a sewing machine?

First, I always make sure the machine is properly threaded and the needle is inserted correctly. If the issue persists, I check for any tangled or jammed threads and clean the machine if necessary. If the problem still persists, it may be a mechanical issue and I would consult the manual or take it to a professional for repair.

4. What do you do when a project becomes frustrating?

I take a break and step away from the project for a little bit. It's important to not let frustration take over as it can lead to mistakes. I also try to troubleshoot the issue and find a solution before continuing.

5. How do you balance your scientific work and sewing hobby?

It can be challenging at times, but I try to allocate specific times for each activity. I also find that sewing can be a form of stress relief and a way to unwind after a long day of scientific work. It's important to prioritize and make time for both activities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Chefgirl2
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Bren706
  • cla519