• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ice Cube Melting Demo in 8" Saute Pan: Exploring the Science

In summary, the ice cube melting demo is to show how evenly the heat (or in this case the cold) distributes through the sides and the bottom of the pan. The pan is able to pull heat from the surrounding area and transfer it to the ice, melting it. The science behind it is heat transfer.
smallfarmmom
Can someone tell me what you say when doing the ice cube melting demo in your 8" saute pan? What is the science behind it?

I asked this same question Friday. I was told it is to show how evenly the heat (or in this case the cold) distributes through the sides and the bottom of the pan. If anyone can elaborate on that, I would appreciate it.

The science is heat transfer.

Metals have, to varying degrees, the ability to transfer heat from one area to another. Aluminum is one of the better conductors of heat (Copper is the best, but because it's SOOO good, it cools down very quickly. It's also prohibitively expensive.). Putting an ice cube into one of our saute pans shows how the pan is able to pull heat from the surrounding area and transfer it to the ice, melting it. By passing the pan so people can feel how cold it is, they can experience for themselves that the entire pan gets chilled from one little ice cube. That shows how the heat-conducting aluminum is throughout the entire pan, sides and all.

This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :)

and what happens if an ice cube is put in some cheapo walmart pan?

I'm asking b/c last night I put an ice cube in the 8" saute and one in a cheapo walmart pan. The PC pan, melted quickly and all of the cube. The walmart pan melted a little.

[/QUOTE]This has been another useless fact from the brain of Ann. :)[/QUOTE]

I have not been using this site for long, but I have come to look forward to your little tidbits of information!!! Thank you!!!! :D

smallfarmmom said:
and what happens if an ice cube is put in some cheapo walmart pan?

I'm asking b/c last night I put an ice cube in the 8" saute and one in a cheapo walmart pan. The PC pan, melted quickly and all of the cube. The walmart pan melted a little.
It'll melt eventually. But it won't necessarily be as fast as in a PC pan, and you will be able to feel a cold spot directly under the ice. If it does that with ice, that means there will be hot spots when cooking. And that's when things cook unenvely.

Go Ann!! Go Ann!!

I'm such a nerd.

In fact, I know the American Sign Language sign for nerd, too. :rolleyes:

Thank You so much! I Love Information!

What I say as I'm doing the demo (and this isn't word for word) is something along these lines - I put one ice cube in the pan, and one ice cube in a prep bowl......then I say - "notice how quickly the ice cube starts melting? I know there is a scientific reason for that......but since I'm not a scientist - I just call it PC Magic! What I really want you to see though (and I start passing it around at this point) is how quickly the sides become as cold as the bottom. Because of the hard anodized aluminum pan w/ the titanium core, the heat - or in this instance, the cold - is transfered so evenly and so quickly throughout the entire pan. Plus it has the Autograph 2 baked-in coating which will never chip or peel. What this means for you is that your food will cook evenly throughout the pan so you can finally make that perfect omelet, and it will slide right out of the pan, and you will never again have to convince your family that those black specks are pepper when you KNOW that they aren't! (now I am holding the pan again - and I pour the water into the ice in the prep bowl) And you'll notice that when I pour this water, there are no drips! The flared edge makes our cookware drip-free - so no more flare-ups or smoking burners! And I've saved the very best for last! This pan, which I call my "Try-me" pan is only $38! But even better than that, when you host a show - you can get the ENTIRE 12 piece set for less than $24 a piece! AND This cookware has a Lifetime warranty - so it is THE LAST cookware you will ever have to buy!!!"

You can also defrost your food sitting in the pans as well for quicker defrost time.

I need to do this demo at my shows! I think it would be neat to take a cheap pan for them to see the difference too.

I LOVE how you break up the items into "less than $24 a piece"! That is so smart! It sounds a lot better than saying $285!

Wow Becky what a great Cookware talk. I have the hardest time figuring out what to say when talking about my cookware. Now I know what I can say, if you don't mind me borrowing.

chefann said:
It'll melt eventually. But it won't necessarily be as fast as in a PC pan, and you will be able to feel a cold spot directly under the ice. If it does that with ice, that means there will be hot spots when cooking. And that's when things cook unenvely.

Be prepared for the exact opposite to happen, though (I had that happen during show and also during my own unscientific experiment at home using 4 different skillets). The reason is that because ours draws the heat from the pan quickly, there is minimal heat left for melting, while the cheaper pans are drawing heat not only from the pan, but from the environment around the pan. Not a good scenario when reversed, as in cooking. When that happens, you can't control the level of heat for cooking. You want EVEN heat, and that is what our cookware delivers.

At least that sounded good when it happened to me :eek:

Hey, Becky, have you figured out yet how you are going to include the SS cookware is your cookware chatter?

MomToEli said:
Hey, Becky, have you figured out yet how you are going to include the SS cookware is your cookware chatter?

No - I'm not terribly excited about the SS cookware as a whole.......my thought has always been that one or 2 pieces of SS are great - but I have never had anyone ask me for, or express a wish for SS - I'll take the 8" skillet for a couple months - just because it's new - and probably just say a little something about the convenience of being able to go from stovetop to oven to broiler to dishwasher. Being dishwasher safe will probably be the biggest selling point in this area - that seems to be the one question I ALWAYS get about the Executive. The whole idea of having "fond", and browning meats better - I don't think most of my customers really care. I may find differently though. But judging by the # of bookings I have already for Sept. from people who want the Executive - I'd say that will still be my big seller!

pamperedpals said:
Wow Becky what a great Cookware talk. I have the hardest time figuring out what to say when talking about my cookware. Now I know what I can say, if you don't mind me borrowing.
Borrow away - since I'm pretty sure most of it didn't originate with me!;)That is one of the parts of my show that stays pretty scripted though - I don't always use the exact same words in the exact same order - but I do always do this spiel. I sell between 1-4 try me pans per show, and get lots of bookings for cookware. The sets, and the 12" skillet, and the Grill Pan are my most often purchased 1/2 price items.

Last edited:
MomToEli said:
Be prepared for the exact opposite to happen, though (I had that happen during show and also during my own unscientific experiment at home using 4 different skillets). The reason is that because ours draws the heat from the pan quickly, there is minimal heat left for melting, while the cheaper pans are drawing heat not only from the pan, but from the environment around the pan. Not a good scenario when reversed, as in cooking. When that happens, you can't control the level of heat for cooking. You want EVEN heat, and that is what our cookware delivers.

At least that sounded good when it happened to me :eek:
I though of that after I posted. As soon as you expect one thing to happen, it won't. :) KG does his ice demo with a styrofoam plate. He posted it over the weekend.

chefann said:
I though of that after I posted. As soon as you expect one thing to happen, it won't. :) KG does his ice demo with a styrofoam plate. He posted it over the weekend.

My director uses the SA bowl, which of course does NOT melt it. So, here I was, having to answer that burning question - what happens in OTHER cookware? That would be far more impressive than a SA bowl, right?

Picture me, with my green pocket protector, my visor on, notebook and timer at the ready, skillets on all four (turned off) burners on my stove - have to have the same test conditions, you know .... :rolleyes: I remember the first show where I had the host bring me one of her skillets ...

Remember that you've heard that lawyers should never ask a question in court that they don't already know the answer to ... well, neither should a PC consultant! (ETA the red part - I have NO idea what happened here!)

ETA: I really like KG's demo ... I'll have to try that one of these times...

Last edited:
I did this today in the SS Saute pan for my girlfriend and she booked a show on the spot! Very exciting! I can't wait to do this at her show and book some more!!

Related to Ice Cube Melting Demo in 8" Saute Pan: Exploring the Science

1. How does the ice cube melting demo work?

The ice cube melting demo in the 8" saute pan is a great way to explore the science of heat transfer. As the ice cube is placed in the hot pan, the heat from the pan is transferred to the ice cube, causing it to melt. This is because heat always travels from a warmer object to a cooler one, until they reach the same temperature. As the ice cube melts, the water is also being heated and eventually reaches its boiling point, turning into steam.

2. Can I use any type of saute pan for this demo?

While you can technically use any saute pan for this demo, we highly recommend using the 8" saute pan from Pampered Chef. This pan is specifically designed for even heat distribution, which is essential for a successful ice cube melting demo. Other pans may not heat as evenly, resulting in a slower or less dramatic demonstration.

3. How long does it take for the ice cube to melt?

The time it takes for the ice cube to melt in the 8" saute pan will vary depending on factors such as the temperature of the pan, the size of the ice cube, and the room temperature. On average, it takes around 2-3 minutes for the ice cube to completely melt. However, this time may be shorter or longer depending on the variables mentioned above.

4. Can I do this demo with other objects besides an ice cube?

While the ice cube melting demo is specifically designed for ice cubes, you can experiment with other objects as well. For example, you can try melting a chocolate bar or a stick of butter in the 8" saute pan. Just keep in mind that the results may vary and it may not be as dramatic as the ice cube melting demo.

5. Is this demo safe to do with children?

Yes, the ice cube melting demo is safe to do with children as long as they are supervised by an adult. The pan will be hot, so make sure to use caution when handling it. Additionally, it's a great opportunity to teach children about the science of heat transfer and the states of matter while having fun in the kitchen.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lockhartkitchen
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • ChefJoyJ
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • babywings76