• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Handle a Disruptive Guest at a Culinary Show?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a difficult guest at a cooking show. The host's mother-in-law attended and made negative comments about the expensive food items. However, she later praised the food and even complimented the host on her cooking skills. The host's husband and daughter also confirmed that the mother-in-law rarely gives compliments. The conversation also discussed ways to handle a talkative guest, including inviting them to help with cooking tasks. In the end, the host managed to secure two orders and potentially a booking from the show.
quiverfull7
Gold Member
Okay... I think some of you more experienced Cheffers have discussed this somewhere here but last night at my show, the MIL of the host attended. Firstly... despite major host coaching, I dont' think the host sent out the invitations I printed for her... maybe she sent a few ... she didn't try very hard... she had 3 people, one of whom was her MIL... who walked in very late. The MIL, upon opening the catalog, stated very loudly that this stiff is "pretty steep". The saving grace to her mouthy ways was that all of them there know exactly how she is. She kept hijacking me so I could talk much... I just kept doing my thing. Then, upon tasting the Chicken Enchilada Ring... she raved about how good it was and got a 2nd and 3rd helping and complimented me again. She also loved the Creamy Caramel Skor Dip. She siad the things she picked out were too expensive so she'd have to wait and her daughter told her she better have her own show but she wouldn't go for that either. After she left, her DIL.. the host, grabbed my sholder and told me that in 19 years of marriage she has NEVER gotten a complment on anything she has cooked or baked so I should pat myself on the back. Well... I was embarrassed... for her and me. He husband said the same thing and said I was one the few in life he had heard her compliment. I'm still embarrassed and sad for the host. I left there with @ $50 in 2 orders and the assurace of the host that she'd for sure have the minimum of $150 and one pretty sure, kinda sure booking. SO>>>> Cheffers... is there a way I could have quieted her or faced with someone like this.. do you just finsh up and feed them?

When I have a guest who wont shut up, I invite them up to help me...I say "Susie, why dont you come on up & stire this for me"...if they refuse and keep chatting, I will again ask "Hey Susie, I really need your help - come chop this" - after a few times she gets the point that if she doesnt shut up i will keep calling her out.

It sounds like you handled the situation very well, considering the difficult circumstances. It can be tough when there is a difficult guest at a show, especially when they are related to the host. In my experience, the best way to handle these types of situations is to just continue with your presentation and not engage with the difficult person. It sounds like you did exactly that, and it paid off in the end with the positive feedback from the host and her husband. It's also great that you were able to secure a few orders and potential bookings despite the challenging guest. In the future, you could also try to redirect the conversation or politely remind the guest that your products are high-quality and worth the investment. Overall, it sounds like you handled the situation gracefully and professionally.

Related to How to Handle a Disruptive Guest at a Culinary Show?

What is a disruptive chatty guest?

A disruptive chatty guest is someone who constantly interrupts the demonstration or presentation with off-topic comments or questions, causing a distraction for the rest of the guests.

How should I handle a disruptive chatty guest?

The best way to handle a disruptive chatty guest is to politely acknowledge their comments or questions, and then redirect the conversation back to the presentation. You can also try to engage them in a one-on-one conversation during a break or after the demonstration.

What if the disruptive chatty guest is not following the rules?

If the disruptive chatty guest continues to disrupt the presentation and is not following the rules, it may be necessary to politely remind them of the rules and ask them to refrain from interrupting. If the behavior continues, you may need to speak to them privately or involve a manager or host.

How can I prevent disruptive chatty guests?

One way to prevent disruptive chatty guests is to set clear expectations at the beginning of the presentation or demonstration. Let all guests know that interruptions should be kept to a minimum and that there will be a designated time for questions and comments. You can also try to engage the chatty guest in conversation before the presentation begins to help them feel included and less likely to interrupt.

Are there any resources or tips for handling disruptive chatty guests?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers training and resources for consultants on how to handle disruptive chatty guests. Some tips include setting ground rules, actively listening and engaging with the guest, and redirecting the conversation back to the presentation. You can also reach out to your team leader or fellow consultants for advice and support.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • AshleyAllison
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ChefPeg
  • punkie1019
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies