• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Cope With Difficult People (On Your Team)

In summary, dealing with difficult people can be challenging, but by using coping strategies such as standing up for what's important, finding and developing unique gifts, remaining calm, setting boundaries, and challenging negative behavior, it is possible to improve the situation.
letmepamperu13
I just received this from John Maxwell (love his stuff!) and thought I would pass it along as it may help you with all the unique personalities on your team....

How to Cope with Difficult People
Every leader faces difficult people and draining circumstances. The following difficult personality types commonly accost leaders today:

Personality Type Coping Strategy
The Sherman Tank:
rides over people Consider the issue; stand up if important
The Space Cadet:
lives in another world Find and develop their unique gifts
The Volcano:
explosive, unpredictable Remove from crowd, listen, be direct
The Thumb Sucker:
self-pity, pouts to real trouble Don't reward; expose them
The Wet Blanket:
always down Be honest, don't cater; don't let them lead
The Garbage Collector:
attracts the worst Challenge their statements; force honesty
The User:
demands lots of time, energy Set boundaries; require accountability

Nice....is there a link with more details? I'd love to read it.

Thank you for sharing this, I appreciate it! Dealing with difficult people can definitely be a challenge, especially in a leadership role. I agree with the coping strategies listed for each personality type. It's important to consider the issue and stand up for what's important when dealing with a "Sherman Tank." And finding and developing the unique gifts of a "Space Cadet" can definitely help improve their behavior. I also think it's important to remain calm and not let the explosive behavior of a "Volcano" affect our own emotions. And as for the "Thumb Sucker," I agree that we shouldn't reward their self-pity and instead encourage them to take responsibility for their actions.The coping strategy for the "Wet Blanket" is also spot on. Being honest and not catering to their negativity can help improve their outlook. And it's important not to let them lead, as their negative attitude can bring down the entire team.I think the most difficult type to deal with is the "Garbage Collector." It can be challenging to challenge their statements and force honesty, but it's necessary for the overall health of the team. And setting boundaries and requiring accountability for the "User" is crucial in maintaining a healthy work dynamic.Overall, these coping strategies can be helpful in dealing with difficult people in any situation. Thank you again for sharing this valuable advice!

1. How can I effectively communicate with a difficult team member?

One way to effectively communicate with a difficult team member is to approach them with empathy and understanding. Try to see things from their perspective and actively listen to their concerns. It's also important to set clear boundaries and communicate your expectations clearly.

2. What should I do if a difficult team member is affecting team morale?

If a difficult team member is affecting team morale, it's important to address the issue promptly. Schedule a private meeting with the team member and calmly express your concerns. Encourage open and honest communication and work together to find a solution that benefits the entire team.

3. How can I handle conflicts with a difficult team member?

When handling conflicts with a difficult team member, it's important to remain calm and professional. Avoid getting defensive or aggressive, and instead, focus on finding a solution. Use "I" statements to express your feelings and actively listen to the other person's perspective. If necessary, involve a neutral third party to mediate the conflict.

4. What if a difficult team member is not pulling their weight?

If a difficult team member is not pulling their weight, it's important to address the issue and hold them accountable for their actions. Schedule a private meeting and calmly express your concerns. Set clear expectations and consequences for not meeting those expectations. If the behavior continues, involve a higher authority or HR for further action.

5. How can I maintain my own well-being when dealing with difficult team members?

Dealing with difficult team members can be emotionally draining, so it's important to prioritize self-care. Make sure to set boundaries and take breaks when needed. Seek support from other team members or a supervisor if necessary. It's also helpful to practice stress-relieving activities such as exercise, meditation, or hobbies outside of work.

Back