• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You "Fire" Your Hairdreser?

In summary, the person is unhappy with their haircuts and wants to break up with their hairdresser. They are not sure how to do it gracefully.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
Here's my dilemna. I've been using the same hairdresser for @ 7 years. He used to be great. But a couple of years ago he had lasik (sp?) done in both eyes and now his hair cuts are really hit and miss. He does a pretty good job with my hi-lights, and the bad hair cuts used to be few and far between, but now it seems like every other one is bad. I went last week and I think this is the worst cut ever.

I want to start going to someone else. I already have my next appointment with my current hairdresser (I always make it before I leave). How should I cancel it without rescheduling another one? I was thinking that I'd just call on one of his off days and leave a message on the answer machine that I need to cancel and I'll be in touch.....which may or may not be a total lie, but it probably is. I'm not a very good lier, and I don't want to hurt his feelings either but, it's my hair and I want it to look good.

How should I handle this one?

Call and cancel, when he asks to reschedule you could say I don't have my calendar with me. I'll have to call back later. I know it would be hard, but if you've been going to this guy for that long, you should tell him. He may not know that you are unhappy with the cuts; it's possible that other clients are too. I wish I had a person I'd been going to for that long. I've been going to different people trying to find someone. I keep thinking I want to cut my hair short, never liked it short before, so I don't know why. I'd like to be going to someone for awhile before I take that step.

Wow... good question. I'd probably leave a message on his day off.

Tell him your moving. LOL! I don't know Linda. I am a stylist and no matter what you do he will probably be a little hurt. I would just call and cancel your appt on his day off. Then just don't go back. He probably has enough clients to keep him from thinking about it.

Don't call on his day off, you have a 7 year "relationship".
Think how would you feel if one of your best hosts or customers "fired" you by calling when they knew you were at a show or craft fair.

You owe it to him to be honest, The hi-lights are fantastic but, I've been unhappy with several of my haircuts. I APPRECIATE the great job you've done in the past.

It won't be easy, but you'll feel better and so will he.

Tell him you're going for the Sinead Oconnor look - Bald is Beautiful Baby!!

Honestly -- I would be 100% truthful with him.

"Jim, I really do love coming to your salon, but it's time for me to move on. I truly appreciate the serivce you have provided me with over the years, however I haven't been pleased with the quality of my cuts the last few months (weeks, years, whatever).Thank you and best wishes to you. "

While he may be hurt, I feel with the sort of work he is doing, it's important for him to know this so that he dosen't lose future customers. He may not even be aware of it. It would be hard, but I would do it so that he could refine his skills. If you can't do it verbally, send a notecard.

And - you may not be the only one who feels that way - but may be the only one who will tell him! Maybe he just needs to hear that you are not happy!

Wow... you're not firing him, you're breaking up with him!!!!!

LOL I was thiking that when I typed my response. I was thinking -- sheesh I've broken up with guys in a simpler way than this.

I am sort of glad I am a hair salon ho. I don't go to the same salon hardly ever.
Send him some roses with a note saying..."It's not you, it's me."

Sometimes I think stylists get "sloppy" with their regulars. You know, since you've been going to him for awhile he may just be taking your business for granted, that'll you always be back. By being honest, he may realize that he has not been giving you the time AND service that you are paying for.
Maybe you could try another stylist and if it is a great cut, you could go back to him and say, "You know I just HAD to get my hair cut while I was out of town and I LOVE this cut, do you think you can help me maintain the style?" Or maybe use the family excuse, that a family member restyled your hair when you were visiting? It's not totally honest i know, but it does let him know that you know you have other options.
Just remember, you are the customer, and he does not "own" your patronage. YOU can choose whomever you want, whenever.

Definitely tell him. First instinct it to run away and leave a message on a machine. However, I think how many times I say about people that "might" want to have a show. I'd be happier if they just say "no" instead of stringing me along so I feel I need to follow-up with them. It would be hypocritical to not give the same courtesy to someone else. I can't imagine how I'd feel if one of my great hosts/customers just left me a message. I'd truly want to know why.It's like no one telling you that you have something stuck in your teeth. It's not fun, b/c they might be embarrassed, but also grateful.You CAN be very tactful without telling him that your haircuts have been horrible. Just tell him that while you love your highlights, you are looking for a change. You appreciate all of the years of great haircuts and will keep him in mind in the future.

Wow Linda, I am going through something similar. However, I am just currently cheating on my hairdresser (and I have not told her). I have been going to her for the last 14 years, minus one when she moved away for a year. My whole family goes to her and her husband works with my husband (my husband is his manager). She is also a great customer of mine.

I decided I wanted to try someone else for a little while because my hairdresser knows me too well and I really wanted to try a new hairstyle. I do not think it would be as easy for her to make a change on me because she knows what I like too much.

More than likely I will end up back with my hairdresser because she has always given me great haircuts at great prices.

Maybe you could tell your hairdresser you decided to try someone new because he knows you too well and you need to try someone new for something a little different. Of course, the truth might actually be the best thing right now.

I hope that helps.

Lisa

Ugh! I feel for you!

I am totally non-confrontational too! Maybe cancel, and then send him a note explaining what you are feeling? It would be VERY hard for me to actually say it to his face.

I'm signing in on the be honest with him approach. I would let him know what specifically you have not been happy with and give him a chance to fix it. If you're not happy with a cut, don't wait until your next appointment, call a couple of days later and ask him to "touch it up". I had a hairdresser who was just not doing my hair the way I wanted and after discussing it with her, she made some adjustments and we both were happy...until she moved away that is!

Hairdressers aren't mind readers. If you haven't spoken up about your cut, then he's going to assume that you're happy with it. Be honest, and perhaps he'll make more of an effort for you.

finley1991 said:
Wow... you're not firing him, you're breaking up with him!!!!!

I actually did call a long time hairdresser that had raised her rates and ended up being out of my budget. I actually talked to her and said "I hate to do it, but I have to break up with you!"

I feel your pain...I feel your pain. I am in the same boat. I love the highlights and the price is amazing, but the cuts are like crap. I will show her a picture and she doesn't even come close to it. I've been growing my hair out all summer to get a reese witherspoon longer hair cut and I'm afraid when it's time to do the actual cut, it will look like crap. But, her cost for highlights is only 36 bucks and I haven't found that anywhere. So, I guess I'm stuck.

Honesty is always the best policy!. You don't have to be mean about it but I think you owe it to anybody to tell the truth. You have to take some of the responsibility because you never told him that you were unhappy before. I come from the school of "don't ask me IF you don't want to know".

Take him to dinner and break it to him gently. :D

I would say just move on, leave him a message to cancel or just plain don't show up. When hosts don't answer their phone or are "at the store" every time we call-we get over it and move on, he will too. If he cares about your business he will call (and you can tell him, you've found someone else, or you can say your hair fell out) if he doesn't you're off the hook.
...Or If you are happy with the highlight-then have him do your color and have someone else do your cut. I've been with my hairdresser since I was 12 so we sometimes get in a rut and I have to go to someone else for a cut, but she does such a good job with my color I'd never let anyone else mess with it. In the end I always go back to her though :D

There is always the "it's not you, it's me" route. :D

I actually have gently complained to him a few times (I really hate to hurt anyone's feelings). I mentioned to him once that "we got the front a little short last time". His comeback was "What do you mean WE, I'm the one with the scissors"....Yep, I said, I was just trying to be nice about it. :p For about a year after that I got great haircuts. Then I noticed that they started to be uneven (which with my hairstyle you can't really tell when I 'do' my hair - but when I don't 'do' my hair it looks like crap and you can see how chunky the cut is). So I usually ask him how his eyes are doing before he starts to cut....lol...Last week he said he was going to have to have his lasik re-done.....yeah, I noticed that! :rolleyes: My mom and sister used to go to him and they have both switched in the last year as well. He's pretty good and very reasonable with my hi-lights. I think I'll go ahead and keep my next appt and while he's working on the lites I'll talk to him about the haircuts. Maybe when I leave I won't make another appt, just tell him I'll call when I'm ready. He's also planning to retire in the next two years so I guess I could also tell him that I'm going to start trying out other hairressers from time to time so I'll have someone ready to take his place when he leaves the biz....

Last edited:
That is a tough position to be in. Sounds like you have a good plan. Even though it's hard, I think it's always best to be honest. :)

I think I'll go ahead and keep my next appt and while he's working on the lites I'll talk to him about the haircuts.
Just make sure he doesn't have his scissors close by. LOLI have never had this problem as I do my own hair (and have since I was 14) that way I only have myself to blame.HA! I can honestly say that I haven't had too many complaints :D.
My dh, dd and I have saved a fortune with me being the stylist. I never had any schooling for it...just something I had a knack for.

Couldn't you just get your highlights with him and get your hair cut somewhere else? He'd have his feelings hurt but still have some of your business. You could even say, "you can cut my hair as soon as you have your lasik redone."

I told my friend who is a stylist that I can't afford her highlights, but I will gladly come see her for a cut. I told her up front that I can't do every 8 weeks, but 12-15 is more like it (I start thinking at 12 it's time and finally do it by 15...).

Whatever you do, either show up or cancel your appointment. Please don't NOT show up. Stylists time is very valuable, as is ours, so if you don't want his time, I am sure he would appreciate the ability to be able to fill in that vacant spot.

As someone else stated....why don't you just see him for just the high lights??? A good colorist is hard to come by. Some stylist are very good at either cuts or coloring, and finding one that is great at both is very difficult.

While you are out and about, look at peoples hair, if you see someones hair that you really like, ask them where and who did it. It's the best way to find the best stylists.

And on a another note, not to defend your stylist, BUT some people's hair can look lopsided when not styled, and look right when it is, that reason being is sometimes we have cowlicks in our hair and it may make the hair look uneven, and at times will have to be cut uneven to make the style look right when done. Sound confusing yet?? :confused: (I am a Certified Master Colorist/Stylist)

Good luck with whatever you do!!!

kaceyleigh2 said:
Take him to dinner and break it to him gently. :D

I would say just move on, leave him a message to cancel or just plain don't show up. When hosts don't answer their phone or are "at the store" every time we call-we get over it and move on, he will too. If he cares about your business he will call (and you can tell him, you've found someone else, or you can say your hair fell out) if he doesn't you're off the hook.
...Or If you are happy with the highlight-then have him do your color and have someone else do your cut. I've been with my hairdresser since I was 12 so we sometimes get in a rut and I have to go to someone else for a cut, but she does such a good job with my color I'd never let anyone else mess with it. In the end I always go back to her though :D
I don't usually move on if I don't hear from a potential host, actually. I keep calling, just less often.
I don't think I could tell my hairdresser that I'm not happy. He is hit and miss, too. This is my hair I'm talking to him about. If I were to tell him I wasn't happy, it would make him too nervous to ever cut my hair again. I just try to be as specific as possible when I tell him what I don't like about my hair. NOT about his cuts.

Just my opinion, but I don't think you owe him an explaination. Just say "you need a change" and thats it. He's not your boyfriend!

No matter how politically correct you are and how nice you say it, he's gonna be offended to a certain degree, and if no one else is complaining about his haircuts, he's gonna think it's you and not him anyway. So, you don't owe him an explaination.

Related to How Do You "Fire" Your Hairdreser?

1. How do I know when it's time to "fire" my hairdresser?

The decision to switch hairdressers can be a difficult one, especially if you have been going to the same one for a long time. The main indicator that it may be time to find a new hairdresser is if you consistently receive unsatisfactory haircuts or services.

2. Is it appropriate to switch hairdressers just because of one bad haircut?

It is important to communicate with your hairdresser about any concerns or issues you have with your haircuts. If one bad haircut is an isolated incident, it may be worth giving your hairdresser another chance. However, if you consistently receive unsatisfactory results, it may be time to find a new hairdresser.

3. How can I politely cancel my upcoming appointment with my current hairdresser?

It is always best to communicate directly with your hairdresser about any changes in appointments. You can either call or send a message explaining that you need to cancel your upcoming appointment. It is not necessary to provide a reason for cancelling, but if you feel comfortable, you can explain that you have decided to find a new hairdresser.

4. Should I leave a message or speak to my hairdresser in person about cancelling my appointment?

It is always best to speak to your hairdresser in person if possible. This shows respect and allows for open communication. However, if you are unable to do so, leaving a message is also a polite way to cancel your appointment.

5. How can I find a new hairdresser without hurting my current hairdresser's feelings?

It is understandable to not want to hurt your current hairdresser's feelings, especially if you have been seeing them for a long time. You can simply explain that you are looking for a change and would like to try a new hairdresser. You can also offer positive feedback about the services they have provided in the past. It is important to be honest and respectful in your communication.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ahammons
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies