• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host a Fun and Delicious Progressive Dinner with Neighbors: Tips and Ideas

In summary, this is a progressive dinner where people get to know each other better by eating small snacks and enjoying conversation.
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
Have any of you guys taken part in a progressive dinner? I am thinking of doing this with my neighbors and have a vague idea of how it goes, but would like a description of it. So...if someone has does this please tell me how it went. How did you guys organize the event? What did you do with the kids? How many courses did you have (did all the families participating have a course)? I would appreciate any information you could give me! Thanks! :eek:

We do this with our neighbors, this is the second year we're participating and it's tomorrow night! Normally everybody just has some appetizers out, finger foods and different drinks at each house. this year there are 6 houses participating. Everybody gets their own babysitter and they stay away from the party (my kids will go down in the basement to play--it's finished and they don't hear us and we don't hear them!!!)

We spend about 45 min at each house so it's enough to nibble but not too long! and we pretty much sit around and talk, maybe play a game at the last house, whatever we are in the mood for. last year I got really drunk and broke a champaigne glass (oops). I'm surprised I got invited again!! hahaha, actually our whole cul-de-sac is pretty close, so that helps too. All of us girls took a weekend in Sept and went to a spa and left all the kids at home with the dads! wee fun!!!!!

I really enjoy it, since it's the only holiday party we go to beside my monthly PC meeting. We all get dressed really nice (most of us are SAHM) and do our hair and it's just a nice night out, but we can drink and not worry about driving and if something happens with the kids we are only a house away! I LOVE it!

Have fun--were you invited to one or planning one?

What is a progressive dinner?

We used to do them when I was in Job's Daughters. They were so much fun...that and Photo Shoot Rally's...loved those too!

What a great way to share your holiday decorations with your neighbors. We are having a cookie decorating party with all the neighbor kids tonight at my house. Or should I say in my garage.....
I refuse to spend all evening vacuuming up sugar sprinkles!!

Chef Kearns said:
Have any of you guys taken part in a progressive dinner? I am thinking of doing this with my neighbors and have a vague idea of how it goes, but would like a description of it. So...if someone has does this please tell me how it went. How did you guys organize the event? What did you do with the kids? How many courses did you have (did all the families participating have a course)? I would appreciate any information you could give me! Thanks! :eek:
We used to do that with our church all the time. Here's how they have gone for us:
2-4 Families use there home as the meeting place. The group can be split into two groups if too large. Otherwise if it's a small group you go to

House (1) Here you enjoy appetizers and visit with friends.Approx 30 min
House (2) Dinner (40 min)
House (3) Dessert & Usually a game. Charades or whatever. Stay as long as you like.

The food is usually dropped off to the 3 hosts Early in the evening. Everybody contributes something(usually by a sign-up) It's a nice way to visit and relax.
Good Luck & have FUN:D :D Laurel

Thes type of dinners are realy fun....unless the houses are NOT close together. The last PD I took part in was not fun as it took us 25 minutes to get from the appetizer to the main course...a few hungry men:D

I would suggest if someone were not "in the close loop" logistically, they join in with someone else and help prepare their assigned food item.

We had:
H1 ~ cheese & crackers & wine optional (1 family contributing)
H2 ~ salad (1 family)
H3 ~ main course (2 families)
H4 ~ dessert (2 families)
H5 ~ snacks and fun & games (1 family)

Give it a try - they are fun...

Here is the format that our cell groups at church use

Attachments

• How to Throw a Progressive Dinner Party.doc
    22 KB · Views: 327
ange13 said:
Have fun--were you invited to one or planning one?

I am thinking of planning one. I wish I had thought of doing it for Christmas because that wouuld've been cool to see everyone's decorations and what-not. We are new and our subdivision is new. Everyone is nice right now and I'd like to capitalize on the friendliness and really make some lasting friendships. All of our kids are the same ages. The kids get along well and I would like to know the parents better. I thought that this would be a good way to do that. There might be 3-4 houses.

We used to do this in high school, for FHA, or whatever it is called now, actually I had only been to one as they changed a lot of things that next year. We had drinks, and appetizers at the first house, a salad at the second, main course at the third, and dessert at the last house. But we had I think 3 different groups going to different houses.

Related to Host a Fun and Delicious Progressive Dinner with Neighbors: Tips and Ideas

1. What is a progressive dinner?

A progressive dinner is a casual gathering where neighbors get together to enjoy a meal by moving from one house to another. Each course of the meal is served at a different house, making it a fun and social event.

2. How do I plan a progressive dinner?

Start by choosing a date and inviting your neighbors. Then, decide on the order of houses and which courses will be served at each house. It's also helpful to assign each guest a specific dish or beverage to bring. Be sure to communicate all of the details and any dietary restrictions to everyone involved.

3. What types of food should be served at a progressive dinner?

The food served at a progressive dinner can be anything from appetizers and cocktails to a full four-course meal. It's important to coordinate with the other hosts to ensure a variety of dishes and avoid too much repetition. You can also choose a theme for the dinner, such as Italian or Mexican, to make planning easier.

4. How many guests should be invited to a progressive dinner?

The number of guests invited to a progressive dinner will depend on the size of each host's house and the number of courses being served. Typically, a progressive dinner will have around 20-30 guests, but it can vary based on personal preference.

5. What are some tips for making a progressive dinner fun and enjoyable?

To make your progressive dinner a success, make sure to have plenty of food and drinks available and encourage guests to mingle and socialize. You can also have fun with decorations and games at each house. And most importantly, remember to relax and have a good time with your neighbors!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedharriet
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • chefsteph07
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
heat123
  • crysboo