• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has anyone successfully made a cake in a rice cooker? Advice needed!

C
ChefSuz
OK, this is my first time on this site so I'm not really sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I figure if I'm not someone will let me know.

I've heard about making a cake in the rice cooker, but it doesn't seem like anyone agrees on lid on or off, or time, or how much frosting. If you've made this before can you let me know how it works best? I think this would be perfect to make on Monday right before Fae hits us in Tampa and our power goes out:chef: Suz

Top on Suz - I use 1/2 a can of frosting as well - that is the 8 minute cake right??

Top on~ 2 scoops on frosting~ for 8 minutes is what I do :)

I have made this cake for over 2 years, just about at every show, I use 1/2 a can of frosting, no lid (all it does is bake in to it, so more for me to clean) and 9 minutes. Just don't use the whipped frosting, doesn't seem to turn out right.

It doesn't spill all over the microwave without the lid?

I've actually used the whole can of frosting and everything has worked out fine. Other times the cake had baked into the lid, but no one seems to care. It just depends how full the RCP is. Never tried it w/the lid off...is it as moist as w/the lid on??

I will always make this with the lid on. I have had too many encounters w/ hostess's microwaves where the cake fills to the top or comes out the sides. Everyone's microwave is different and you just never know if it will work or not and I don't want the cake to overflow into someone else's microwave.

I use the lid and only put 3-4 medium scoops of frosting. I guess I will have to try a little more. I cook it for 10 minutes then let it sit for 5min.

I use the lid and only put 3-4 medium scoops of frosting. I guess I will have to try a little more. I cook it for 10 minutes then let it sit for 5min

I do the same-with the top on. I wonder how much BETTER it would be with more frosting!?!?! Mmmmmmmm...sounds like I need to make a cake tomorrow!

I always use the two lids for the 8 to 10 minutes. Let it stand a few minutes without
power in the microwave, then turn out onto our round platter, and THEN use two to three heaping tablespoons of the frosting and spread from center of the top, out to almost the edge. It drips down the edges by itself and looks so elegant. We have experimented over the years and when you put the frosting into the wet batter, you
have a gloppy mess that is not as easy to cut and serve. It is a very moist cake, as
it is. Make one at home before you go to the party, to build your confidence, and to have ready to serve at the party. Take the one you make at the party home with you, or be nice and leave it for the hostess. We generally use Dark Chocolate cake mixes,
by the way because the appearance it so gourmet and elegant looking.

I have never done this before... what all do you put in the cake mix? Eggs oil???
Thanks, sorry to change subject.

Yes Jenni - make the mix according to the box ( I use chocate cake mix or whatever is on sale) plop in the icing (I do the wet mix - but am going to try Grandmaritas way as well) Micro 8 - 10 minutes, let sit about 5 minutes and invert on to a large round platter or plate - down and delish!

We did this yesteday at a show for my newest consultant. :) She has seen it done at another show, and I had never heard of it! I read in another thread lid off, and it turned out fine. Did a whole can of the German Chocolate carmel pecan frosting and German Chocolate cake mix (hey I use mixes too in a pinch!). served it warm with fresh peaches we broiled in the oven with the stainless 8 inch(to show that off too!), cinnamon plus, and our yum vanilla. Put the peaches all around the base and then gave a generous sprinkle of the carmel sprinkles. It looked really cool! It was a hit! We did nine minutes and it was perfect... had a lot of oo's and ahhs. :love: A very innovative way to cross sell the rice cooker/sprinkles. I had to say, I thought it was pretty crazy cool!:cool: It was fun too!

Grandmarita said:
I always use the two lids for the 8 to 10 minutes. Let it stand a few minutes without
power in the microwave, then turn out onto our round platter, and THEN use two to three heaping tablespoons of the frosting and spread from center of the top, out to almost the edge. It drips down the edges by itself and looks so elegant. We have experimented over the years and when you put the frosting into the wet batter, you
have a gloppy mess that is not as easy to cut and serve. It is a very moist cake, as
it is. Make one at home before you go to the party, to build your confidence, and to have ready to serve at the party. Take the one you make at the party home with you, or be nice and leave it for the hostess. We generally use Dark Chocolate cake mixes,
by the way because the appearance it so gourmet and elegant looking.

I made two of these this week. One was a white cake and I made a powdered sugar glaze and then piped a little melted chocolate chips over the top. I did that one for a Church group. Then I did another one at a show, I did a chocolate fudge cake and put about 1/2 can of frosting in. This one was much messier, and one person who had some of both cakes said the second wasn't as good. So, from now on I think I will do the cake without the frosting and just do a quick glaze, it only takes a minute to whip it together. And the cake turns out beautifully intact and pretty without the frosting.

Everyone loves it w/the frosting in. Mine really hasen't fallen apart that much. The chocolate 'lava' is a real hit and very yummy!!

I just gave my RCP to one of my consultants, but I used to do this recipe at most shows.Mix ingredients according to pkg with whisk
Bake with both lids 8 minutes
Let stand with lids on 10 minutes
Invert over lg platter

Don't forget, you can also do this in the Fluted Stone, also in the microwave (a $27 item).

Does anyone have the recipe for this that is in a printable format? I want to do this for an upcoming show but want to send the recipe idea to the host first.

Paige, You could cut and past this or e-mail me and I'll send you a doc. w/RCP receipes.
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake

One box of chocolate cake mix
ingredients to make the chocolate cake (from the back of the box)
One can of chocolate frosting

1. Empty cake mix and cake mix ingredients into Rice Cooker Plus and mix together.
2. Add ½ the can of frosting with Small Scoop.
3. Microwave for about 8-10 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

You can use any kind of cake mix and frosting, but chocolate is my favorite!

Thanks so much! I think my kids would love this too. I will try it at home first.

1. Can you really make a cake in a rice cooker?

Yes, it is possible to make a cake in a rice cooker. Many people have successfully made cakes in rice cookers, and there are even specific recipes and techniques available online.

2. Do I leave the lid on or off when making a cake in a rice cooker?

This is a debated topic and ultimately depends on personal preference. Some people believe that leaving the lid on helps to evenly distribute the heat and moisture, resulting in a better cake. Others prefer to leave the lid off to prevent condensation from dripping onto the cake. It is recommended to try both methods and see which works best for you.

3. How long does it take to make a cake in a rice cooker?

The cooking time for a cake in a rice cooker can vary depending on the size and type of rice cooker, as well as the recipe used. On average, it can take anywhere from 30-50 minutes. It is important to check the cake periodically and adjust the cooking time accordingly.

4. How much frosting should I use for a rice cooker cake?

This also depends on personal preference and the size of the cake. Some people prefer a thin layer of frosting, while others like a thick layer. It is recommended to use a small amount of frosting at a time and spread it evenly over the cake, adding more if needed.

5. Any other tips for making a cake in a rice cooker?

Some tips for making a successful cake in a rice cooker include greasing the inner pot before adding the batter, using a toothpick to check for doneness, and allowing the cake to cool completely before removing it from the cooker. Additionally, experimenting with different recipes and techniques can help you find the best method for making a perfect rice cooker cake.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lisa717
  • RoseAndrews
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
nikked
  • Mizjent
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies