• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Grilling With Planks: Seasoning Salmon on the BBQ

In summary, the conversation revolves around grilling planks and their effectiveness in giving food a smoky flavor. Some people have tried them and suggest using rubs for added flavor. Others are skeptical about the price and wonder what else the planks can be used for. The conversation also touches on the use of a disclaimer in forum signatures.
mrssyvo
Has anyone tried the grilling planks yet? I am grilling salmon for dinner, and I have decided to try them out, but not sure how to season the salmon. Do the planks give enough flavor that I do not need to season the salmon? I thought about putting the Asian seasoning on them, but I am afraid it might be too much.

I tried them. They give food a smoky flavor. A subtle one that was hard to detect. I would suggest adding one of the rubs too.

Trish in Texas
Future Director & Recruiter

I brush my with soy sauce and a little of the Asian seasoning

I understand they're not reusable. The price seems a little steep to me for a single-use item. Then again, I'm not a big grilling plank kind of gal. Big, just not on grilling planks.

raebates said:
I understand they're not reusable. The price seems a little steep to me for a single-use item. Then again, I'm not a big grilling plank kind of gal. Big, just not on grilling planks.

LOL....I hear ya....;) ;) ;)

Can we really call them planks? LOL They look more like thick pieces of construction paper!! LOL I have a feeling these are not going to sell well!! Anyone else feel that way too!!

mrssyvo said:
Has anyone tried the grilling planks yet? I am grilling salmon for dinner, and I have decided to try them out, but not sure how to season the salmon. Do the planks give enough flavor that I do not need to season the salmon? I thought about putting the Asian seasoning on them, but I am afraid it might be too much.

How'd the salmon turn out?

They looked interesting at first & I LOVE Salmon, but I'm not crazy about Smokey flavor. All the years I worked in Delis, I never liked the Nova,whitefish,sturgeon etc....But I think if you like it then you will buy it, its gonna be hit or miss...just my opinion

What else can you use the grilling planks for I had never heard of these until they came out as a new spring item...and they are in my sample kit. I don't even know how to use them. Won't they catch on fire if you use them on a grill? Perhaps I'm out of the loop. (or loopy!) I don't know anything about them. Any info would be great! Why do you use them? just for flavor?

They're basically for flavor. Moistening them helps heep them from bursting into flame. :) But they will smoulder, and it's the smoke that flavors the food.

I don't see myself selling them either but I do live in Florida where we pretty much grill year round. We'll see how many I sell. So far, 0!

Ann, what's up with your TPC line in your signature?:confused:

A customer at my show on Friday night showed a lot of interest in them. She bought a Green Egg recently and that company sold planks, but at a higher cost. She was impressed with our price. She did not purchase them yet, but will be attending several of my shows in March and April so she might purchase them then.

Lisa

Ours are much cheaper than many out there and none of them are reusauble.

PampMomof3 said:
Ann, what's up with your TPC line in your signature?:confused:
It's a standard disclaimer. My DH moderates a forum that's had some problems with members insulting other members, and he has something like that at the top of every page (as well as in his signature) to help discourage lawsuits.

Related to Grilling With Planks: Seasoning Salmon on the BBQ

1. How do I choose the right plank for grilling salmon?

It's important to select a plank made from untreated, food-safe wood such as cedar, alder, or maple. Make sure the plank is large enough to fit your salmon fillets and soak it in water for at least one hour before use.

2. Can I reuse the plank after grilling salmon?

No, we recommend using a new plank for each grilling session. Reusing a plank can result in uneven cooking and can potentially transfer bacteria from raw fish to your next meal.

3. Should I season the plank before grilling?

While some people like to add extra flavor by rubbing oil or herbs onto the plank, it is not necessary. The natural wood flavor will infuse into the salmon as it cooks, creating a delicious smoky taste.

4. How long should I grill the salmon on the plank?

The cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your salmon fillets and the temperature of your grill. As a general rule, cook for approximately 10 minutes per inch of thickness, flipping halfway through. The salmon is done when it flakes easily with a fork.

5. Can I use a gas grill for grilling with planks?

Yes, you can use a gas grill for grilling with planks. Simply preheat the grill to medium-high heat and place the soaked plank directly on the grates. Close the lid and let the plank heat up for a few minutes before adding the salmon.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
carlajanes
  • timbimac
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • krley
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies