• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Frustrated After My First Show: How Do I Enforce No Kids?

something to be said about kids not attending shows. You obviously put a lot of effort into your shows and it's tough when some people just don't seem to care. It's also tough when people bring their kids and then they are disruptive or not paying attention. I think though that if you are going to have kids at your show, you should make an announcement beforehand and try to find a way to involve them in something. You could have a contest to see who can make the best show or you could have a raffle for a toy or something. It's also tough when the baby is crying and everyone is trying to talk at the same time. You could try to take turns holding the baby or put the
CarrieMendoza
:mad: Frusterated I had my first show last night. It was going OK until one of the girls came in with her baby. Then the conversation went onto the kids and no one was paying attention. I mean basicly it was practice for me. But how do I make it clear and not being rude that kids shouldn't attend? What irks me even more is that her husband was home and coulda watched the baby.

-Carrie M

I wouldn't come out and say that kids shouldn't attend. As a mother I wouldn't go to a party that my kids couldn't attend. It was probably just an issue of that certain group of people. I am sure that your other shows will go much better. It is none of your business that she could have left the baby at home, or why she didn't. All you can do is focus on your show and try your hardest to do well. Try asking questions about the products, play a game, or pass things around to keep people involved. Also, I make my demo as short as possible to avoid people getting bored and striking up their own conversations! Congrats on your first show and you should update your best show section now that you are official!!

Its inevitable that children will every once in awhile attend shows and it probably wouldn't be a good idea to ask people not to bring children because it will offend people. I just try to get all the guests involved in the show as much as I can. I once did a show with 3 babies sitting on the floor right in front of me- almost tripped on them several times not to mention having to pause at times while people were paying attention to them. My last show a baby spilled a cup of punch over the floor so I had to wait about 5 minutes til it was cleaned up before continuing. Its a pain but theres not too much you can do about it. I have 2 small boys and have had to take them to shows that I've been invited to because my husband was working. So I know both sides of the story.

There is almost always at least one child if not more at every show that I have done, I agree sometimes it is annoying but you just have to go with the flow, and try to get their attention back.

One show I did the host(a friend of mine) has two girls ages 4 and 6 and there were in the kitchen talking so I included them in my demo. I had them go wash there hands and I had them help me mix stuff and pour stuff in the bowls. It was a good why to talk about kids in the kitchen and some of the products that are good for kids to use.

You have to do your best to get the crowd back to you and away from the child or them talking. I have also cut my demo down and make sure I pass stuff around and ask the guest questions to make sure they are paying attention to me.

Good luck

There is also a list somewhere I think of ways you can get a crowd's attention back. My director said something goofy like tell them the next one talking has to give their name, age, and weight. Really just tell them that you won't take up too much of their time and that when you are finished they will all have time to talk and coo at the baby.

I've had some difficulty with kids being at shows, but then I found when I started to use them, I actually did better dollar wise and I wasn't stressed that people weren't paying attention. I try to keep in mind that many times your show is where people have the chance to catch up. I always make an announcement for people to just relax and chat.

I had a show last month that had more kids than adults. It was frustrating, but I just kept going. I used that as an opportunity to turn my focus to our kid friendly items....and emphasized how well fish sticks and chicken nuggets cook on our stones. I said... they cook so well I don't mind eating the nuggets with the kids. It takes a while to get comfortable with doing shows, and think of it this way....you had a crash course and things can only get better. quick tip...for people with babies at shows mention how well the quick stir pitcher mixes baby formula!

I think though that there is a difference between having children at a show, and having little attention stealers at the show (babies)...I am already concerned about a show I have in OCT. - because I know the family well, and have had other shows with them where the children run amuck, and misbehave - so I know they will be there - and also 2 newborns will be there - meaning the whole family turns out - not for the show, but to see the babies....I'm thinking I'll do an express show - and not worry about a presentation - I know I won't be heard anyway....:( . The disappointing thing is that usually there a couple people who want to see a demo -so it's disappointing for them also!

ChefBeckyD said:
The disappointing thing is that usually there a couple people who want to see a demo -so it's disappointing for them also!

I LOVE children and I know kids can be kids, but yes, that also is what concerns me--people who want to see the demo missing it. Well, I guess it would be up to them to speak up.

I had a baby attend my 2nd show. The baby played in the floor and made noises. It was a little frustrating but the mother did her best to keep him occupied. She placed a good order and gets a catalog every so often to place more, so, by being nice I got a repeat customer. We just have to tell ourselves the sweeter we are to the children maybe the bigger the order of the mother b/c we are all nicer to those that are nice to our kids.

My husband will keep my 2 year old anytime, but sometimes Luke cries to go with his mommy.

I do understand where you are coming from, though, about wishing you could -uninvite children of a certain age or temperment!!! :D I think we can all think of a few we would love to do that to for any function we attend even church!!! ha!:eek:

I had a toddler at one of my shows who kept crawling under my demo table... I had to be careful not to step on her! I just laughed and said that she was really eager to be a cook. Another show had an 8-year-old boy who I was afraid would be bored and rowdy, but he was very enthusiastic about helping me with my demo! He was especially impressed by slicing strawberries with the egg slicer plus.Babies are a different matter, though... I had one start screaming halfway through my demo one time, and the mother could not get her to calm down. I mostly just talked over her, but I felt bad. The mother was embarrassed, and actually left early because of it. I don't think there's any way to tell people not to bring their kids. If they do, try to include them if they're old enough, and give them a smile if they're young, but just do your demo the best you can.

I think I would be a little put off if I was asked to leave my son at home. At my introductory show my 3 month old and 3 other kids (ages 8 mo. to 5) were there and running around...I warned my Director that my aunt barely pays attention when I'm talking (when Abram is around) so not to be surprised. She just plugged away and the show turned out to be $700. I think it would hurt your sales and demo if you made a huge deal out of kids and interuptions. That said, I have yet to do my first show, so I may retract these words later! :D
My first Kitchen Show is with my aunt (the one who barely listens) and she sent a personal invitation to MY SON! I have a feeling I'll have a hard time getting people to pay attention...can't be mad at my own son LOL

Just a side story...I was host coaching my aunt one evening when she was actually at my house visiting...I was going through the host coaching checklist and the whole spiel...I explained the host benefits and the re-explained them to ANOTHER aunt...well my aunt (the host) was like "No WAY! I can get all that!" I was like "I just told you all this!" she was to busy paying attention to "Boo Boo" as she likes to call him!

Like the others, I'm going to suggest that you not exclude children from your shows. You'll offend potential customers. Besides, people like to see the kids.This has happened to me on a few occasions. Recently I had a show where, by the end, I'm convinced no one was paying any attention to me at all. However, the sales weren't too bad. When things like this happen, I just remind myself what my good friend tells me sometimes: Just pull up your big girl panties and deal with it.If the children are old enough, try offering them the Kid's Cookie Making Set, minus the recipe cards. They often have great fun moving things in and out of the bag. It keeps the little ones occupied and has sold a few of the sets for me.

I think it also helps to remember that at shows people like to socialize. I usually don't start my parties til about 15 minutes after the "party time"( and thats the latest I ever start a show).
Than gives late people time to arrive (nothing irritates me more than late people)
and gives people time to socialize, talk, play with babies etc. Remember that
if people were just coming for the products they could have placed an out-side order, they usually come because they want to talk and hang with their
friends and family. I had a show that was a 3-ring circus with kids and animals all in my way, I was just missing the fire eaters, but it turned out to be a $700 show! I just shortened my demo and went with the flow.

The last show I had, people were still arriving 45 minutes later. And you know everytime someone came in, we had to stop and everyone chatted. Sometimes I just want to say, "Ya know, I don't want to be rude, but what about the people who have been sitting here 45 minutes already? They don't want to sit there and watch you catch up with so and so. Sit your butt down and socialize later." Whatever happened to sneaking in when your late?

AJPratt said:
The last show I had, people were still arriving 45 minutes later. And you know everytime someone came in, we had to stop and everyone chatted. Sometimes I just want to say, "Ya know, I don't want to be rude, but what about the people who have been sitting here 45 minutes already? They don't want to sit there and watch you catch up with so and so. Sit your butt down and socialize later." Whatever happened to sneaking in when your late?

I have decided that people do it for the attention they want EVERYONE to know when they arrive !!!:mad: Irritates the mess out of me!!!And it really ticks me off when they don't even order anything after their entrance! :mad:

I had a show in May where no one showed up until 45 minutes after the party was supposed to start. Then I had three people come. It all ended up being a $400 show (after the hosts bought stuff) but I could tell they were disappointed.I am starting to offer "on-time" drawings and putting that on invitations.

I do get so irritated when people come in late and the world has to stop and pay attention and catch up with them! Urrrgghh!:)

OOOHHHHH!!!!!! I LOVE the idea of an ONTIME drawing! My cluster does this, but I never thought to do it at shows. I always have a hard time getting the show started, but if I start with a drawing, it would be easier!!!!!! :)

I'm a mom, but to be honestI cannot stand it when someone brings their kids to the show! I can't help it. I would NEVER even consider bringing my 4 year old with me to ANY party (even though he is very well behaved). I just think it's rude. And lets face it - women come to show to get together with each other and a few minutes of adult time. I've never had strong sales at a show when there are kids there.

With regards to starting shows on time - I recently just started to start my shows on time....and I've got nothing but good responses from doing so. If someone comes in late, I had them a folder and I just keep right on going. Lets face it, those guests who arrive late are late to everything and typically don't end up purchasing much either.

I'm also a Mom... I don't generally take my kids to a show I've been invited to... but let's face it, LIFE HAPPENS! Babysitter cancels, dad has to work, whatever... if the *host* is OK with the kids tagging along, there's nothing you (as a consultant) can do about it. You are a guest in their home. I often tell my friends to bring the kids along if that's the only way they are able to make it. It makes attendance at my shows better... I've so far not had a problem with a child "stealing the spotlight", but it's something that I would just deal with.......

I look at it this way: The host has asked me to come into *their* home. Yes, it's my job, and I have to run my business, but it is still the *Host's* party and *her* friends. She knows what it will take to get attendance and sales. For *my* friends, if they aren't AT the show, they aren't ordering, so I encourage the kids to join us. If my host has the same kind of friends, then the kids should be welcome... Like I said... it's host's home....

{Stomping Foot} I wanna be a Mom! I feel like Susan Lucci waiting for an Emmy.

Whiner, LOL! If you pay for shipping I'll send you one of mine, LOL!!

Oh, I don't know about that! I've read some of your posts. lOL

Wanna come share MY kids? They're angels (well, that's what the teachers tell me, anyway... I've yet to see the halos ;))

If kids just start showing up on my doorstep... I'll know who sent them. Don't think I won't.

Alright....I'll throw in a free quick-stir pitcher and cover shipping! You think you're so tough!! LOL!

soccermama said:
Wanna come share MY kids? They're angels (well, that's what the teachers tell me, anyway... I've yet to see the halos ;))

Yeah, I know the feeling, lol.

AJPratt said:
If kids just start showing up on my doorstep... I'll know who sent them. Don't think I won't.

I will just plead innocent. (Maybe I should plead insanity)

Here is what I do,I just go around the neighborhood snatching up every little kid I can find!!!

Opps, wrong place for that!
I am just "kidding"!

Anyway, I give the first person to arrive $5. Money speaks volumes and with a set amount it is easy for the host to remember to tell everyone too!
It travled well from one show to another. Almost everyone showed up early at the show in August of a show booked from a host in May where I did that!
It has happened on several other occassions where I made sure the host knew what I was going to do. She spread the word like wild fire! Oh, make sure they know that it only counts for people who show up AFTER you get there. Otherwise you'll end up paying the mother, mother-in-law and the sisters of the host because they were there to help set up. You would go broke!
Now I have this little quirk and I guess it came from being a teachers aid and a 4-H leader for 10 years. For some reason I have absolutley no problem heading off the late arrivals at the door and handing them a catalog, order form and pointing them to a seat and not interupt myself for anyone to chat. When you spend 9 years talking over a couple hundred kids, it never phases you again. If you can not get ircked, you can do this too. It will also send a signal to the host who should keep it down for you then so everyone else can hear. It is strange what happens if you just keep going.
As for kids Anne, they will come to you when you least expect it. And all angels deserve little angels.

Last edited:
My director also says she tells the guests who arrive early a few special tips and tricks and then at the time the show is supposed to start she tells everyone that's already there that they are going to boo everyone who comes in late and she says they really get into it sometimes. She has some really wierd ideas sometimes.

On a side note: John.....Oh boy, quite the comedian aren't you, lol. (Kidding!? http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/rolleye0013.gif)

John, you're like the big brother I always wanted. And, hey, you're blonde, too. I think we could pass. LOL

Oh, so you won't take our children, but you will take on a brother, I see, lol.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure on that oneI am probably way older than a big brother should be to you. Unless your parents were 12 when they were married. And, well, the blonde stuff comes from a box. It really is mostly grey and I just hate that color! And no, you can't give a way children! What kind of pathetic people are you anyway!
Although I have a neice and a nephew who are blonde, both have blue eyes and, Hey Anne!

Mine are both blonde and blue eyed, and I was only gonna let her borrow 'em anyway!! Geez! LOL!

Well, John... it looks very natural!

Gillian: I'll have to think about that one...

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chellb1234
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
bentleymommy
Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • tazzygurl611
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies