• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Froeliche Geburtstag, Ludwig Von Beethoven

In summary, Ludwig von Beethoven was a great composer who had a lifetime passion for an unknown woman. He composed some of the most beautiful music ever written, but he was also troubled and had hearing problems. Happy birthday, Beethoven!
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Froeliche Geburtstag, Ludwig von Beethoven! Today is Luddy's birthday, or yesterday, depending what history book you read. If he were alive, he'd be 237 years old.

JosephKarlStieler_1820.jpg

Of course, he's not alive. He's decomposing.

Beethoven composed some of the most incredible and beautiful music ever written. He was a troubled soul, as you hear in much of his music. He was also playful and passionate, which you can also hear in the delightful 6th Symphony, a muscial representation of a picnic on a Summer day, complete with a thunderstorm. His 5th Symphony, with the most famous and most parodied opening strains in classical music, is one of my favorite compositions.

He also had a lifetime passion for an unknown woman. He referred to her in his writings only as his "Immortal Beloved," which became the title of a Beethoven biographical movie, released in 1994.

Beethoven's hearing degenerated over his lifetime, while composing, he would press his head against his piano to hear, or at least feel, the vibrations of his notes. He wound up completely deaf and never heard his most impressive work of his lifetime, the stunning 9th Symphony.

So, happy birthday, Beethoven. I'm going to celebrate by listening to as much of his music as I can today. How about you?

I think my kids would prefer to watch a Saint Bernard movie, but I might have to put in my CDs instead.

In honor of Beethoven's b-day - my DD is listening to him during her nap today! (I only hope the "thunderstorm" doesn't wake her up) ;)

Anyone ever see that movie I think it was called "Beloved" played by Gary Oldman? Loved it! Happy B-day LB!

The movie is called Immortal Beloved. It's mentioned in the first post.I've been imagining singing to Luddy, to the opening strains of the Fifth Symphony...Hap-py Birth-day!
Hap-py Birth-day!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I've been imagining singing to Luddy, to the opening strains of the Fifth Symphony...

Hap-py Birth-day!
Hap-py Birth-day!
<giggle>

I'm going to pull out my P.D.Q. Bach/Peter Schickele version of the Fifth (available on http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000000EJT/?tag=pfamazon01-20), with play-by-play.

Beethoven's most famous, adoring fan:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/SchroederPiano.jpg/320px-SchroederPiano.jpg

In the musical, "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," there's a song entitled "Schroeder," sung by Lucy, that uses the Moonlight Sonata as the accompaniment.

D'ya know something, Schroeder?
I think the way you play the piano is nice.
D'ya know something else?
It's always been my dream
That I'd marry a man who plays the piano.

At parties he'd play something nice like
"April Showers."
I'm sure you could play something nice like
"April Showers."
Or even "Frere Jacques."
Beethoven's nice too.

Just imagine
What would you think if someday you and I should get married?
Wouldn't you like that if someday we two should get married?

(Schroeder stops playing and glares at Lucy.)
My aunt Marion was right, never try to discuss marriage with a musician.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The movie is called Immortal Beloved. It's mentioned in the first post.

I've been imagining singing to Luddy, to the opening strains of the Fifth Symphony...

Hap-py Birth-day!
Hap-py Birth-day!
Sorry KG, I only got as far as right below the picture.:indif:

chefann said:
In the musical, "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," there's a song entitled "Schroeder," sung by Lucy, that uses the Moonlight Sonata as the accompaniment.
That last line, "My aunt Marion was right, never try to discuss marriage with a musician," reminds me of a whole bunch of observations about musicians.Q: What do you call a large building full of musicians?A: Jail.
-------------------
Q: What's the difference between a 16" Deluxe pizza and a musician?A: The pizza will feed a family of four.
-------------------
A boy says to his father, "When I grow up, I want to be a musician! His father says, "I'm sorry son, you can't have it both ways."
--------------------
Q: What do you call a drummer who just broke up with his girlfriend?A: Homeless.
---------------------
Q: Did you hear about the drummer who locked his keys in the car?A: It took two hours to get his wife and kids out.
---------------------
Q: Did you hear about the drummer who locked his keys in his convertible?A: It was threatening rain and he was worried AAA wouldn't get there before he could get the top up.
----------------------
Q: What's the definition of "perfect pitch?"A: Someone who can throw an accordion into the pond without hitting any of the ducks.

Depends on the musician. One of the members of our Lincoln club is the assistant principal oboist with the DSO. He and his wife don't have to live in a car. :)

I am no mortician...but wouldn't Luddy be already de "composed"? Heck...237 that man's movements are dust now!!!!:p

And yesterday was Barbie & Barney backlash day...how did you celebrate?!?!?

Last edited:
chefann said:
Depends on the musician. One of the members of our Lincoln club is the assistant principal oboist with the DSO. He and his wife don't have to live in a car. :)
That's the law of supply and demand in action. Good oboists are in shorter supply than brain surgeons.

baychef said:
I am no mortician...but wouldn't Luddy be already de "composed"? Heck...237 that man's movements are dust now!!!!:p
I don't know, the first movement of the fifth is pretty lively.

Had I known you were a big fan of LVB, KG, I'd have tried to win something on the radio. Last week the station to which I listen gave away several 26-disc sets of the complete works of LVB.

Hey, hey, hey...wait just a minuet!

Beethoven was baptized on December 17, 1770. Although his birth date is not known for certain, his family celebrated his birthday on December 16.

Did anyone ask his poor mother when he was born...every mother remembers events such as giving birth!!!

<snort> Love the minuet joke, Ann! Of course, I'm a music nerd. :)

Sometimes they just roll out of me!! I have been looking on this date in history, etc. and do not see Wiggy's birthday, but they use the date he was baptized as his birthday. I like to merchandize menus for the students but have gotten away from it. Not sure what I have put on the menu before for Ludwig's big day, but I do remember the kids "having" to eat Gettysburg Spaghetti once (when normally they wouldn't have gotten that for lunch). I have done the 12 days of Christmas before, Holidays around the world. Some of us never grow up!!! That would be me:D
Now that I have stirred up trouble, I am off to host my cluster meeting!:chef:

chefann said:
Had I known you were a big fan of LVB, KG, I'd have tried to win something on the radio. Last week the station to which I listen gave away several 26-disc sets of the complete works of LVB.
That would have been really cool!

Yes, I think Luddy is my favorite, although, Tchaikovsky is a very close second. (I love The Nutcracker, Swan Lake, and the Pathetique symphony. The waltz from Eugene Onyegin is also special.)

Let me rephrase that...I love Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, not the one married to Slick Willie.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Let me rephrase that...I love Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, not the one married to Slick Willie.

Got to be better than the weiner in the Oval Office now.

Related to Froeliche Geburtstag, Ludwig Von Beethoven

1. Who was Ludwig Von Beethoven?

Ludwig Van Beethoven was a German composer and pianist who is widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential composers of all time. He lived from 1770 to 1827 and is known for his famous works such as "Symphony No. 9" and "Moonlight Sonata".

2. What is the significance of "Froeliche Geburtstag" in relation to Beethoven?

"Froeliche Geburtstag" is the German translation for "Happy Birthday". It is often associated with Beethoven as it was the traditional birthday song in Germany during his time. It is believed that he composed the melody for the song.

3. Did Beethoven write any other birthday songs?

No, "Froeliche Geburtstag" is the only known birthday song that Beethoven composed. However, he did write other variations and arrangements of the melody for different occasions.

4. How is "Froeliche Geburtstag" celebrated in Germany?

In Germany, "Froeliche Geburtstag" is still a popular birthday song and is often sung at birthday parties and other celebrations. It is also a common tradition to give a small gift or treat along with the song.

5. Is "Froeliche Geburtstag" copyrighted?

Since the melody for "Froeliche Geburtstag" was composed by Beethoven, it is now in the public domain and is not subject to copyright. This means that anyone is free to use the melody without permission or payment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sharalam
Replies
Views
susanr613
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies