• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Finding a New Home for Nutmeg: Our Journey to Give Up Our Beloved Beagle

T
tpchefrebecca
Nutmeg is our 10 mo. old beagle. I have talked about her before here and she has done remarkably well. The thing is she has a loud bark and we have been working with her really hard to get this to stop. We have tried everything except de-barking her. My son (8yrs) and my DH are adamant about not de-barking her. I wouldn't like it either so we decided to give her up.

The HOA sent us a letter on Nov. 16th which we got on the 19th and was told to to come up with a solution by the 21st!:mad: I didn't like having to tell my son his dog is going to have to have a new home and my daughter (4yrs) is still not understanding it either.

Here's the real kicker. I have advertised TWICE on Craig's list and first I was giving her away but everyone who was interested FLAKED! I am interviewing, taking references and giving them to her once everything clears only. I have spent a lot of time, money and energy on Nutmeg and I will not let her go to just anyone. Now I am charging a fee and asking people to call me directly without emailing me because I was out of my mind last week with Thanksgiving, shows, and life! Plus being at my computer all day just wasn't healthy.

Now there are no calls but hopefully I can get her into a home soon or I am going to LOOSE IT! Because each day with her is getting harder and harder to let her go.

Thank you for letting me vent this out!

DSC02029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reminder of why I'll never live in a place with HOA rules!

P.S. She's a cute pup.

Oh...I am so sorry that you have to give her up. Animals become such a part of our families so quickly!

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Prayers that an AMAZING family is able to adopt her....or that she stops barking by a miracle!!

She's so cute. Good luck. I hope you find a good home for her. It must be so hard..........

KellyTheChef said:
Oh...I am so sorry that you have to give her up. Animals become such a part of our families so quickly!

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Prayers that an AMAZING family is able to adopt her....or that she stops barking by a miracle!!

Well that's just it. She doesn't bark unless we come home (she lives in the gargage when we aren't there) or when someone rings the doorbell. She did however get out of wack with the time change and was waking up at 4am wondering where the heck we were and not getting her to go for a walk. That all has stop but how do you stop a dog who is happy to see it's owner after 2-3 hours of being in her dog run? She is not neglected, we walk her at least 3 times a day when it isn't pouring rain, and play with her non-stop. She is in the house when we are home but eats and sleeps in her run in the garage. It's the neighbors and not just 1 a few and I can't find out who they are because only 1 who has been helping me with her has actually come to talk to me about her. So it was a blow to get the letter but agrivating because you want to be a good neighbor and can't at the same time if you don't realize your a problem.

Thanks Kelly for the hugs cause I really needed them :)

Oh no! I am so very sorry!!! She is beautiful!

Is she barking at all hours of the night? If not, how can you be in violation of any codes? I would check into it first. I grew up in the city (no HOA) & we had a noise ordinance for the city. After 10:00p you could get into trouble making too much noise (including your barking dog) however, after sometime in the am (fairly early) you were free to make all the noise. Nothing anyone could do.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Nutmeg is so beautiful! I wish I lived closer...I have someone at work that just lost their beloved beagle and Nutmeg would be perfect for them.

I am so glad that you are interviewing. There are some whack jobs out there and I know that you will rest easier if you know she is in a good loving home. I feel so bad for your kids too. I love my kitty, but I grew up with dogs. They melt my heart. Stay strong.

did you ever try that collar that gives off a frequency sound, NOT A SHOCK! my friend has an obnoxious dog that barks ALL THE TIME, she got the collar and now he's quiet as a mouse. all it does it let off a loud sound when they bark, you can't really hear it but the dog does. i only know one person that used it but with AMAZING results. I would try EVERYTHING before giving up the dog. HTH

ginamkiely said:
did you ever try that collar that gives off a frequency sound, NOT A SHOCK! my friend has an obnoxious dog that barks ALL THE TIME, she got the collar and now he's quiet as a mouse. all it does it let off a loud sound when they bark, you can't really hear it but the dog does. i only know one person that used it but with AMAZING results. I would try EVERYTHING before giving up the dog. HTH

I have tried everything and that is also sad. I have the bark collar and she will shake it or push it with her back paws so that it is not on her neck. She is just your typical stubborn beagle. I have heard of the sound thing but was talked out of it. Sounds good right about now.

I do have to say though that I will be checking in periodically with my HOA rep and seeing if we are getting anymore complaints. She really is a lot better than she used to be. They should be thankfull they didn't move in when we first got her. That was the worst!

There are a few kinds of "non-shock" collars that I know of.

1. Emits a lemon scented spray with barks.
2. Citronella spray bark collar.
3. Scentless spray.
4. Tone collars.

Here is an article on some: Barking Control: Solutions to End Problem Barking Behavior

I personally have not had good luck with the tone collars and have heard similar. Most dogs do better with spray or static collars.

Call the Dog Whisperer!!! Not trying to be funny...just wish he was available. I hate to see a dog that is so loved taken from her family.

baychef said:
Call the Dog Whisperer!!! Not trying to be funny...just wish he was available. I hate to see a dog that is so loved taken from her family.

Sounds like a Hannah Montana episode (not that I haven't seen that one over and over and over again).
(6 year old loves the show).

Oh I truly feel for you! I have afive almost six year old beagle. She is perfect (aside from shedding). She'll bark maybe once every couple of weeks. She is soooo good. I would try to use those therpys mentioned earlier in the thread. They do calm down a lot after they are a bit older and after you fix them. Also if you are worried she is barking while you aren't there try a kennel in the bathroom. Dogs get afraid when they have too much space and my dog loves her kennel. She's not too old to learn either!

Best of luck!

J.Corley said:
Oh I truly feel for you! I have afive almost six year old beagle. She is perfect (aside from shedding). She'll bark maybe once every couple of weeks. She is soooo good. I would try to use those therpys mentioned earlier in the thread. They do calm down a lot after they are a bit older and after you fix them. Also if you are worried she is barking while you aren't there try a kennel in the bathroom. Dogs get afraid when they have too much space and my dog loves her kennel. She's not too old to learn either!

Best of luck!

Are you sure you're not talking about our beagle? LOL ~ that's EXACTLY how Molly is and how we feel about her shedding!

I agree with trying out another type of bark-deterrent collar. My dad was having the same problem with his dog vs. the HOA. He got a citronella spray collar and it has been working great.

Thank you ladies for all the advice. I may have someone for her but the wait to hear from someone is just hard.

If noone takes her I will try the other devices. Most likely the spray.

We tried to kennel train her to no avail. She hates the kennel and it magnifies in the bathroom. That's where she use to be for the first 2 months. Then she was in our room until she was 5 months, yipping all night to go potty (sometime 3-5 times a night), when I finally caved and let my husband put her in the garage and voila! She would sleep all night and go on papers. She then would wake up at 6 am yipping to for a walk. We were okay with that and worked on the yipping. But since the time change it had been difficult at 4 am to get her not to yip and it went on for 3 days. She got back on her schedule and has actually gotten to the point where she doesn't make much sound.

I guess my neighbors just don't know how to communicate because they called the police and the HOA and now it is on record and that is where my husband put his foot down and said he wants no more trouble. What really gets me is that it is more than 1 neighbor and none except the neighbor right next to me has even come to tell us anything. I reconsidered the de-barking but DH and DS are a big NO on that which I am too but if it means keeping her?

Anyway, thank you ladies for all your help. If we end up not finding a home for her then I will get those spray devices or sound ones. Could be both.

I know DH doesn't want to cause trouble but he should say something to the HOA. They need to look at their procedures. To not say "Boo-hiss" to you before the letter then demand immediate action is unreasonable when related to a pet. They should be communicating to you without the HOA. Sorry, but I really hate HOAs...way for people to hide behind an "organization" and not talk to their neighbors. I'd thank the person who actually did come talk to you!

Sorry, but I really hate HOAs...way for people to hide behind an "organization" and not talk to their neighbors. I'd thank the person who actually did come talk to you!

I did thank her and she is upset too that we are giving her up. I had told her from day 1 she moved in about the barking and she has helped me a lot.

I did look at the site and like the handheld device. What is your take on it? I also found another device that looks really neat because we have a some dogs (not necessarily neighbors) walking by that she will bark at or they bark at her and I think it would help if I had a device that works up to 50 feet then not only can I help myself but also another neighbor as well.

tpchefrebecca said:
I did thank her and she is upset too that we are giving her up. I had told her from day 1 she moved in about the barking and she has helped me a lot.

I did look at the site and like the handheld device. What is your take on it? I also found another device that looks really neat because we have a some dogs (not necessarily neighbors) walking by that she will bark at or they bark at her and I think it would help if I had a device that works up to 50 feet then not only can I help myself but also another neighbor as well.

I've heard mixed reviews on it if you are referring to the Havahart one - maybe not since that is a 25' range. It works great on many breeds. The automatic portion seems to work well for many people.

I've heard better stuff about the PetSafe brand one. I am actually thinking of trying it myself because our dogs are barkers. Luckily our neighbors don't care and there is land before the next neighbor but I would like them to behave during hunting season.

Rebecca ~ before you go and find a new home for your dog...I forgot to mention this EXACT situation happened here in my HOA. Make sure you find out your rights within your state. HOA CCR's can't override local/state laws. The homeowner here researched and found out she was within her rights...she still has the dog. She has reverted to a bark collar...he still barks, but not as much. It was a case of where the neighbor didn't like/want the dog there. Just plain mean. So the owner taped the dog all day for weeks. She made the board listen to the tapes. The nieghbor claimed the dog barked constantly all day and night...not the case. So make sure you have a copy of the compliants too. HOA's have to give you reasonable time to plead your case too.

Sometimes HOA's think they are God. They aren't and take it too far. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE our CCRs and glad there is a board that I'm not on. Ours does a pretty decent job...believe me, our CCRs are VERY STRICT. But that was one reason why we bought the house. CCRs are put in place so folks take care of their places and to eliminate junky looking places. We can't even paint our house the SAME color within going through the board and paying them $50! Yep! Can't park on our driveways unless there are 3 cars IN the garages. Can't change out our plants without board review and $$ for them to review it! I know some of you thing this is crazy, some of it is...but our neighborhood is BEAUTIFUL!

I did talk to the HOA today and our rep told me that the letter I got should have been the 2nd one. Not the case. I only got 1 letter and dated Nov. 16th and as a courtesy note. You betcha I am keeping that letter! It is key to my case. So I still can keep her as long as I don't get another complaint. If I get the 2nd then 3rd letter then I can opt for a hearing. We definitly don't want it to get to that! She is keeping me informed of the complaints by calling me as soon as it happens, which there have been none since we talked last Monday the 19th. She said that the main complaint was the dog waking up in the morning and barking. Well that I can surely understand because I am the one up with her and getting her in the house. I don't have to give her up if I can't find a home for her as long as the barking stops. I still have 3 weeks to get it under control which I feel I have, but you never know.

My rep is very nice and actually had to go through the same thing. She luckily found someone for her dog not like us. I still have to talk with DH about the bark controllers and see what we are going to do.

I also have a friend who manages HOA props in CA. I told her what happened and she gave me this http://davis-stirling.com/ which is the same thing our HOA said to me so at least I have more info.

I know I have rights and I am still learning them as I go. Thank you all again for your encouragement, information and sympathy! It is good to know I have a great network of friends!

Kitchen2u said:
Rebecca ~ before you go and find a new home for your dog...I forgot to mention this EXACT situation happened here in my HOA. Make sure you find out your rights within your state. HOA CCR's can't override local/state laws. The homeowner here researched and found out she was within her rights...she still has the dog. She has reverted to a bark collar...he still barks, but not as much. It was a case of where the neighbor didn't like/want the dog there. Just plain mean. So the owner taped the dog all day for weeks. She made the board listen to the tapes. The nieghbor claimed the dog barked constantly all day and night...not the case. So make sure you have a copy of the compliants too. HOA's have to give you reasonable time to plead your case too. Sometimes HOA's think they are God. They aren't and take it too far. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE our CCRs and glad there is a board that I'm not on. Ours does a pretty decent job...believe me, our CCRs are VERY STRICT. But that was one reason why we bought the house. CCRs are put in place so folks take care of their places and to eliminate junky looking places. We can't even paint our house the SAME color within going through the board and paying them $50! Yep! Can't park on our driveways unless there are 3 cars IN the garages. Can't change out our plants without board review and $$ for them to review it! I know some of you thing this is crazy, some of it is...but our neighborhood is BEAUTIFUL!
Wow! I am willing to give up a little bit of beauty for freedom and personal choice any day!
We live on a neighborhood street. It's a very nice street, and very pretty - especially in the Autumn when all the trees are full color. We park our cars outside of the garage anytime we want, re-landscape, and add and subtract plants on a yearly basis....and are in the process of trying to decide what color to paint the house, and what kind of shingles to put on the roof!.....and we don't have to pay anyone so that we can make those decisions! Oh - and our neighbor's dog barks - and sometimes comes in our yard and poops.......and another neighbor's cat thinks our son's sandbox is a good litter box......but I never once thought of calling someone to make them give up their pets!I'm glad we live on a plain old street!

That's sad!! I hope you find a good home for her/him.

Just so you know, pet sales/finding them a home on Craigslist is prohibited. Someone may have flagged your listing, which may be why you arent receiving any calls.

Hope it works out for you!

vwpamperedchef said:
That's sad!! I hope you find a good home for her/him.

Just so you know, pet sales/finding them a home on Craigslist is prohibited. Someone may have flagged your listing, which may be why you arent receiving any calls.

Hope it works out for you!

A re-homing fee is allowed. I tried the free thing and so many people backed out. I haven't been flagged but this will be the last CL ad I will do. I will be placing an ad in the paper by the weekend IF that's what is going to happen. My DH just called and still wants to think it over. It is a tough decision and I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through this either! Our breeder even said if I can't place her she will take her back so at least that is a back up plan but I hope it doesn't come to that either.

As for our HOA, we are a new developement and we don't even have a board yet. I don't think we will get one voted in until the end of summer. So right now we just have a rep acting on the board's behalf.

I have a couple ideas that might help... On Jefferspet.com or Jeffers pets, one of the two, they have this device you plug in for about $40.00 and it emits a high pitched noise when the dog barks, they don't like it, so they stop barking. It isn't a sound that can be heard by humans, so it's safe to use around kids and adults. They should have that product online, I saw it in their last catalog. I believe it's green, and the size of a small fuse box. We have next door neighbors that leave their dogs outside all day, and I'm thinking of buying it and attaching it to our fence...just to get them to stop their non-stop barking. :) today their dogs barked for 3 hours non-stop! I needed a throat lozenge after that!

Beagles are very smart dogs, they can learn to stop barking. There are also pheramones that you can buy to calm your dog down as well. They are homeopathic, and some vets don't think they work, so they don't tell you about them. I had luck with those after I had to go back to work 1 year after we got our second puppy. She ate the couch as a result of separation anxiety, I bought the pheremon spray, and she stopped taking her sadness out on the couch.

Another idea is searching for a local trainer that comes to your house might be an option, too. I live in MN, and we have quite a few local trainers that are VERY affordable, that will come to your house. I hate to hear about a puppy that has to go to a new home over something that I know can be fixed. I wish you the best of luck, and will pray for you and your puppy, too.

Oh, have you tried teaching the puppy to bark on command so that when you tell it "no bark", it won't bark? I have other ideas, feel free to email me personally if you'd like. I'd love to help in any way that I can.

Oh I wish I can get to "No Bark"! It will happen as long as I keep having the opportunity. I am doing my best to be consistent with her and on top of the barking. I will keep you all up to date. Walking loose leash is another thing. She just finds that scent and sends my arm quicker than my body. It is quite comical but she is extremely stubborn.

As for a trainer, they are too expensive. We are on a strict budget and can only afford a little at a time. Right now it is treats and lots of them and the squirt bottle is my best friend.

Good for you, Rebecca, in fighting for Nutmeg. So glad to hear that the rep is working with you and sympathizes with you. Like you say, you are the one getting up with her so you too experience the problem and you are trying to do something about it and work with her. Keep updating us. I am hoping for a happy ending and that Nutmeg gets to stay with her family. Glad the breeder is willing to help too if it comes to giving her up.

And I know my pet is a cat...but our kitchen spritzer filled with water really ticks him off...off the counter tops!!!

baychef said:
Good for you, Rebecca, in fighting for Nutmeg. So glad to hear that the rep is working with you and sympathizes with you. Like you say, you are the one getting up with her so you too experience the problem and you are trying to do something about it and work with her. Keep updating us. I am hoping for a happy ending and that Nutmeg gets to stay with her family. Glad the breeder is willing to help too if it comes to giving her up.

And I know my pet is a cat...but our kitchen spritzer filled with water really ticks him off...off the counter tops!!!

Thanks Ann!

You know for our cat I just spray with 409 every night on the countertop and she doesn't even bother. I wonder if it is the smell? I know when I have been too lazy to give a good clean she will get up there. Then of course I have to spray twice. Our black stove top gives her away :) little paw prints everywhere.

That is a good idea! I know Moose hates anything that smells good. He has to jump up on to the bathroom vanity and help me get ready for bed at night. The toothpaste turns him right off! Frebreeze and he is Fra-gone! Lysol wipes are kryptonyte (sp?) for him!!

He is the only one that wants to give me a "kiss" in the morning (he doesn't lick, he just gets real close...I think he is enjoying my dog breath!!!)

Looks like Moose gets a free ride with the paw prints...no black appliances in my house at this point.

trainers will give advice for freeYou could try contacting a local traininer and just running your situation by them. Any decent trainer worth their salt will give you some tips and ideas for free. I understand about the budget being tight. I truly hope things work out for the puppy. As for the tugging when she walks with you, a choke chain works really well. I had a hard time with it at first, but our female Golden Retreiver caught on right away. Our 5 year old male will choke himself blind...he just doesn't get it, so we're still working with him! :) He just loves to pull- but at about 110 pounds that's just too much pull for me.

I hope you can keep Nutmeg, she seems so cute, and she's just a puppy, she'll learn. :)

Kitchen Diva said:
I have a couple ideas that might help... On Jefferspet.com or Jeffers pets, one of the two, they have this device you plug in for about $40.00 and it emits a high pitched noise when the dog barks, they don't like it, so they stop barking.

You should have to pay over $30 for one of those anywhere...and watch brands - some are better than others.

It works for most breeds, but some are very stubborn. I think she'll have good luck with a beagle though.

tpchefrebecca said:
Walking loose leash is another thing. She just finds that scent and sends my arm quicker than my body. It is quite comical but she is extremely stubborn.

Try a gentle leader - they put slight pressure on the nose and work great! I have coworkers that swear by them!

So we decided to give her back to the Breeder. I wanted to thank you all for all your advice. I feel it is the right decision and that she will go to the right home.

Well, you tried and I know the breeder will get her into a home as loving as yours. So sorry, though.

janetupnorth said:
Try a gentle leader - they put slight pressure on the nose and work great! I have coworkers that swear by them!

Absolutely the Gentle Lead!!!! We use it for Ollie,our 2 year old Chocolate Lab. He weighs about 110 so having him pick up a smell and take off will take your arm off! He doesn't care so much for wearing it but it makes walks SO much better.

1. What is the reason for needing to find a new home for Nutmeg?

The reason for needing to find a new home for Nutmeg is because she has a loud bark that has been difficult to control, and the homeowner's association has given a deadline to come up with a solution.

2. How has Nutmeg's family tried to address her barking issue?

Nutmeg's family has tried everything except de-barking her. They have put in a lot of time, money, and effort to try and train her to stop barking.

3. Why is de-barking not an option for Nutmeg?

Nutmeg's family and specifically her son (8 years old) and husband are against de-barking as they do not believe in altering a dog's natural behavior. They have decided to find her a new home instead.

4. What efforts have been made to find a new home for Nutmeg?

The family has advertised twice on Craig's List, initially offering Nutmeg for free but then charging a fee and asking for direct calls instead of emails. They are also conducting interviews and taking references to ensure Nutmeg goes to a good home.

5. Has a new home been found for Nutmeg?

As of now, there have been no calls for Nutmeg, but the family is hopeful to find her a new home soon. Each day is becoming harder for them to let her go, but they are determined to find her a loving and suitable home.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Tropicalburstqt2
  • lockhartkitchen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • thecougchef
  • General Chat
Replies