• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Exploring Interactive Show Formats: Challenges and Successes

and sometimes do...is have a list of questions that I want the guests to answer. That way I have a better idea of what they know and can move on from there. I also have a list of "tests" I like to do with the products. I find it helpful to have a list of questions and tests BEFORE the show so I don't waste time trying to remember them. Having the guests help me test the product is a great way to get them involved and interested. I also like to have a 'script' that I follow, but I have found that sometimes things change and I need to adjust.I have found that the interactive show format is a good way to get people to try a product they
amy07
I'm not totally sold on the interactive show format. I noticed a few recent posts where some of you are hanging back some too. My most recent show was a repeat crowd and they didn't seem to appreciate trying the interactive approach at all. :grumpy: I'm still working on it, just not "there" yet. I find it harder to maintain my train of thought and get in all that I want/need to say. For those of you who are loving the new format, what's working? Oh, and please be kind, I'm emotional this week!:eek:

Amy, I have been judging when to do the interactive show based on my crowd. For example, my crowd at tonight's show are very PC savvy and really could care less if I even do a demo! Therefore, an interactive show would piss them off! BUT, for my show on Sunday, I feel like they need to hold and use the products since several men and potential new customers will be there.
I do think that working closely with your Host is key. She needs to know up front that you intend to involve people so that you know if she is in your corner or not. She knows her guests best and will be able to tell you if they will be ok getting involved or not. Then again, I had a host that was totally on board with the interactive idea, but her sister immediately said "I am not touching a thing!" because she does that at home! As it turns out, she wound up using the Forged Utility Knife and then booked a show because she wanted more!
Maybe I wasn't the one to answer this post...where are Deb & Janice when you need them!?

I'm not the one to answer either but I have also had few hosts/guests who want to even go there.

I start with where the host is comfortable with holding the demo and how the guest act. If they can be around me I ask if they will help (individually inviting) and that usually works. My last show had a lot of 30-50 year old women who had all been to shows before and we did surround the island but even though they were all over the things I brought and checked out a lot of it, they did not want to even consider DOING any part of the recipe.

It's all about your style, comfort level and that of your guests and as Meg said, the host is key.

I had done a few interactive-type shows before HO announced the new change. I'd had good results with them, but had always personally known the gals and/or had it at my home. Mostly I felt 'comfortable' with the traditional demo.

Last week a fellow director told me her sales have doubled since going to the interactive show...so I'm trying to give it a serious shot.

At my next show, we made the strawberry creme trifle. I set everything out around the table before they came in (and used the line someone posted about standing by their favorite tool). I think what helped most was I told them we would be at the table for less than 30 minutes (and that they could bring their wine glasses into the kitchen with them ;)). I will say there was a little resistence at first but having the host take the lead in coralling them helped.

The results though, got my attention. There were 7-8 gals and 4 of them ordered over $100 worth of product. I honestly think handling the products made a huge difference. I'm going to try it again tonight (Mojitos and assembling the Island Breeze Rum Cake).

At the regional training they stressed a 30 minute show and 15 minute wrap-up. I'm trying hard to achieve that (major change for me since I'm naturally not structured at all.) I'd love to hear how others are finding success with the format.

I love the idea of standing around your favorite product! I think I'll use that for the shows this weekend! Thanks, Kris!

So glad you have confessed!! I have not had the huge success I hear that a few are having.

I have had hosts all for it and their guests all NOT for it. My day job is being a boss and following regulations. I just want people to have fun (and selfishly...so do I). I do encourage guests join in and sometimes I have success.

One of my downline states that she has had an increase in sales. As her director, I don't see it. She loves the format and "makes" her guests be interactive. Those that flat out refuse, don't. Her bookings are very strong, however. So I see a mixed bag of results.

What I try to do is set up my display table as I normally do and then when everyone gets comfortable, I bring my cutting board and tools I need and get right on the same table and/or area that my guests are in.

I haven't given up, but still have not hit that true "comfort zone". I want people to try the tools and it is important getting them in their hands, but for myself...I never want to make a guest use a product.

Still not completely sold myself but always open to progressing into that mode.

I just thanked you, Amy...for having the "kahoonas" to bring this up and looking for solutions!

Ok, so I tried it at my show tonight. There were 4 guests who had never been to a PC show before so I thought it would be a great experience for them. the host was on board during coaching for an interactive show too. It was insane. Mainly because 1/2 way thru pre-teens came running thru and grabbing up tools:grumpy:
I'm going to keep trying, but oh how I feel out of it at times.
Did get 1 dated booking and another to follow up with on Monday;)

Mine tonight was a disaster. People straggled in, so it just didn't work.

So I guess the jury is still out for me as well.

I've only tried a few shows interactively. Then I watched the Cooking Shows in Action DVD and got re-motivated about it. The first one, Jennifer Soto, made it look so easy! So, I've tried it twice since them and I'm warming up to the idea. I guess I figure my shows usually are very good because sales and bookings are good, so why change it up a lot? I definitely feel the host has to be TOTALLY on board about it or it won't work. It helps if she promotes the show this way so people know ahead of time (hopefully it won't deter people from coming!). It also helps if there are no seats for them to sit in and for the host to have them come into the kitchen or wherever the demo is. Being ready to go is important too, with all the little stations set up. At my show last week with Maggie from the HO, she obviously was on board. People did come in and sit down, but we both warned them that after some time hanging out waiting for some more guests, we'd be asking for their help at the table so they could get their hands on some tools. It wasn't like pulling teeth getting them to come up and start. I kind of liked it this way because I could do my typical little intro, my story, go through a few things in the binder I pass around and they were able to enjoy a little food that the host already made while I did a 10 minute intro. Then I had them all get up and said they could bring their wine glasses because there's room on the table and almost everyone participated. For those who didn't, they were closer to the table, therefore closer to the tools and seeing things up close in action.

I kind of liked the relaxation time first because I also handed out lapboards because I truly think people like to see the catalog first, rather than at the very end. They did all put them down in their spots before coming to the demo table.

So, my most recent experience with it was good. The one before that was a little less structured only because it was a very quick appetizer they helped make before I did power cooking. I kind of grabbed people as they came in and recruited them to help. Then it was kind of nice as others straggled in, they were curious what was going on in the kitchen.

wow, sorry so long. I'm wordy!!

Thank you for sharing this Becky (not too wordy at all!!). I like the idea of the social time up front. I also really like the idea of the catalogs at the beginning too.

This site is so great for exchanging ideas. I feel like I learn things that I can actually apply to my business to make it better.

my show last night was rough! I knew it would be, as the Host is a teacher and lives in a "party" neighborhood...there were only 5 guests to start with and they managed decent sized orders, so she got to $250. there were people still coming in when I left at 9:30! I am going to have to call today and tomorrow to talk to guests about what I might not have been able to help them with last night...like booking and recruiting!

My show on Sunday should be better! :pray:

The interactive show is not a one size fits all solution. It starts with your host. You have to partner with her if you want to do interactive. This starts in host coaching. She is the first person (usually) that the guests see when they get to her home, so she has to be prepped to greet them and send them to the kitchen. I do like having a little "browsing" time first as Becky experienced. My last interactive show happened like that and it worked out nicely. You also have to introduce it in a way that frames it as a benefit to them. I say it's a "try it before you buy it" experience--something you can't do when you shop at retail stores. I also encourage folks to jump in and try a tool that they have their eye on--they don't have to do the step I am "assigning" to them. I have noticed that the items that people buy are directly related to what they used in prepping the recipe. I did the Triple Citrus Mojitos at one of my last shows and I had several ladies buy the Microplane and had two bookings for the Mandoline. Interactive is great with smaller crowds. Then everyone can have a job. It really doesn't work with big crowds. Not enough space and not enough jobs for everyone to do.I do either the Jennifer Soto style or the Jillian Eisenberg style depending on the crowd. Mostly it's been well received. I've had some big show numbers lately, but I think that's because I've been stressing big attendance in my host coaching lately. For most hosts and for us too, a successful show means high sales and that comes through attendance and outside orders. One thing I do when I do interactive, is I am very intentional about the way I set up. I try to put the tools in order of when they are used in the recipe, kinda of making mini stations, so that if a guest is standing there and it's time to cut the pound cake, there just so happens to be a cutting board and bread knife in front of her.

amy07 said:
Ok, so I tried it at my show tonight. There were 4 guests who had never been to a PC show before so I thought it would be a great experience for them. the host was on board during coaching for an interactive show too. It was insane. Mainly because 1/2 way thru pre-teens came running thru and grabbing up tools:grumpy:
I'm going to keep trying, but oh how I feel out of it at times.
Did get 1 dated booking and another to follow up with on Monday;)

I just wanted to chime in... at a recent fair I did (my only live performance since Sept - I'm unable to drive again), I taught my 9 year old how to use the mandolin to slice cucumbers and zucchini! I did the blade changing. I am pretty sure it helped my walk-ups feel less scared to try it! I sold 2 of them and it wasn't a big crowd. Last summer I had 2 teens come in during my demo who wanted to participate, so I let them ~ THEY hammed it up but said some pretty good things about the tools they were using, essentially selling for me. They held the crowd's attention, everyone was laughing, I chimed in when i wanted to add more info. It was a $1000 show.

If a crowd of teens come, why not ask them if they'd like to help you, but tell them you need 2 at a time to come up and demo tools. I also had their help to CLEAN up!

I really enjoyed reading this post. I haven't been on in awhile.
Since Leadership I have only done interactive shows. So now It has become a habit for me.
I'm all set when the guests arrive. They of course come to the table to see what is out. I introduce myself and give each guest a name tag. ( something I never done before, but has helped me) I'm terrible at names. So when Sally helps use a tool, I can say,"thank you Sally". little more personal.
I let them all know that this is a hands on demo. Try it before you buy it. I promise them that I won't force anyone to help out. I do note that the recipe will be put together faster if we all work together. Everyone wants to get through the demo. I find now at my shows, I sell what is being shown. If I do the berry shortcakes, I sell at least 2-3 saute pans. Things like that.
Now as noted earlier in the thread. Not every show can be this way. I had a show with 15 last week and this wasn't going to work well. So it became totally optional.
I have a show next week and she has already 20 coming. So we are not doing a live demo. We are still unsure what we are doing. Any suggestions??

Sorry for the long post. Like I said I haven't been on here in awhile.:D

baychef said:
One of my downline states that she has had an increase in sales. As her director, I don't see it. She loves the format and "makes" her guests be interactive. Those that flat out refuse, don't. Her bookings are very strong, however. So I see a mixed bag of results.
Last night I received an email from a very upset guest that booked off a party the night before. This very downline person that is mentioned above in my previous post did the party. The booking said she is going to cancel the party, but wants to do one with me. I told her that is fine, the bonus follows the host, not the consultant.

She was disgusted that they were not allowed to talk and socialize. I have asked my upline what to do because I know that some of my guests don't like me for one reason or another. This was not the first passionate complaint about this consultant, however. I received an identical one from a previous host. They were told to "shut up" and I believe it was meant in a joking way, but it certainly wasn't taken that way. Not sure how to approach this, she is my top performer and I am not sure if it is just a personality conflict or something I need to be concerned about.

I don't feel good about any of this.:(

its_me_susan said:
I just wanted to chime in... at a recent fair I did (my only live performance since Sept - I'm unable to drive again), I taught my 9 year old how to use the mandolin to slice cucumbers and zucchini! I did the blade changing. I am pretty sure it helped my walk-ups feel less scared to try it! I sold 2 of them and it wasn't a big crowd. Last summer I had 2 teens come in during my demo who wanted to participate, so I let them ~ THEY hammed it up but said some pretty good things about the tools they were using, essentially selling for me. They held the crowd's attention, everyone was laughing, I chimed in when i wanted to add more info. It was a $1000 show.

If a crowd of teens come, why not ask them if they'd like to help you, but tell them you need 2 at a time to come up and demo tools. I also had their help to CLEAN up!

That is great!
I should've been more specific in my post about the pre-teens. They came in 1/2 way thru the entire thing, after the food prep was done. The host's son in particular (who is in/out suspension at school) was the one grabbing tools. Knives. Because as he put it, "he liked sharp pointy things":bugeye::yuck: All the ones who came in were rummaging thru the dirty dishes and what was left of my display like they were at a garage sale or something.
But obviously, that could've happened at a "traditional" show too. It had nothing to do with the interactive approach. my bad.

I had a show last night where everyone came into the hosts house and immediately sat at the table--I don't usually have that--they usually sit in the living room or family room. I tried to get the host to move the chairs away from the table before the show and she wouldn't (first clue). The guests came in, and sat at the table and we tried the interactive format with them sitting down--ummmm....no. They had trouble using the tools so what I did, was literally plant myself on one side of the table with them facing me around the table, did the demo, passed around a lot of tools, then invited them to do some of the work, passing the cutting board to them. It actually worked pretty well. 7 guests=$800 in sales. So it was kind of a combo thing. What I have been doing is asking my guests before I use a tool :"how do you normally_______?" (chop onions, mince herbs, grate fresh parmesan, etc?), then I talk to them and show them the tool. The trick seems to be asking them how they do it at home and then offering them an alternative. It was fun.

Related to Exploring Interactive Show Formats: Challenges and Successes

1. What are some common challenges faced when exploring interactive show formats?

Some common challenges include technical difficulties, engagement and participation from the audience, and creating a balance between entertainment and education.

2. How can these challenges be overcome?

These challenges can be overcome by thorough planning and testing, incorporating interactive elements such as polls and quizzes, and constantly seeking feedback and adapting the show format accordingly.

3. What are some successful interactive show formats that have been used?

Some successful formats include cooking demonstrations with live Q&A sessions, virtual cooking classes with ingredient delivery, and interactive games and challenges with prizes.

4. How important is audience engagement in an interactive show?

Audience engagement is crucial in an interactive show as it keeps the audience interested and invested in the content. It also allows for a more personalized and interactive experience for the audience.

5. What are some tips for creating a successful interactive show format?

Some tips include incorporating multiple forms of interaction, keeping the content fresh and engaging, and constantly seeking feedback and making improvements. It is also important to have a clear purpose and goal for the show and to ensure a smooth technical setup.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedlinda
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PamperedK
  • katiemoser
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
cookingwithdot
  • babywings76