• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did You Survive the Okinawa Tsunami?

In summary, the US news agencies diverted their attention to Chile when they were expecting a 3 foot wave, then it escalated to 6 foot wave, and then they heard reports of a 10 foot wave. They were under a mandatory evacuation for 30 foot elevation and under. The host's house was pretty much in the middle of the island & at 172 feet elevation so the cooking show went on as planned since many of her "beach" friends were having to evacuate & were coming to her house anyway.
Nice! I wish we had a "like" button for posts... :)

OK so what did happen with that? The US news agencies have not said word one about the quake you all had or the tsunami warning you were all under in Okinawa.

We were on CNN until the Chile earthquake happened. But since ours was so far off the coast & the damage was very minor, the news agencies diverted their attention to Chile. As they should! ;)

They were expecting a 3 foot wave, then it escalated to 6 foot wave, then we heard reports of a 10 foot wave. We were under a mandatory evacuation for 30 foot elevation & under. 31-60 foot elevation was voluntary evacuation. The host's house was pretty much in the middle of the island & at 172 feet elevation (according to Google Earth) so the cooking show went on as planned since many of her "beach" friends were having to evacuate & were coming to her house anyway. A couple brought their children & one brought her pet! I think they said the wave was something silly like 12-15 inches!!! LOL That's why I thought the t-shirt idea was funny ... only because it was so minor with no injuries. So the host did a $700 Cooking Show during a Tsunami. I bet that's a first! LOL

Glad to hear you are OK. I was still up at the time and said a prayer for your safety.

Awe, thank you Nancy! :D

The Kanji characters immediately bring to mind the old profanity characters from comic books - so naturally, I see "I Survived the *%@^&#! Tsunami!"

LOL No that's "Okinawa" in Japanese. ;) I promise!!!

... If not, there's a LOT of people driving around with a cuss word on their license plate!!! LOL

Well, *%@^&#!, I screwed up again.

At least you got the giggle that was intended from it.

;)

You should do a Hawaii one too :)

Glad all was ok. I thought of you and a cousin I have in Japan as well. Glad nothing came out of it.

I like KG's bumper sticker as well as your tee shirt, Sheila!

You should submit this to HO for the Good News emails. :) Who says you can't have fun with bad weather warnings! Glad yall are ok. I have some other friends over there and were worried about ALL of you!

I am also so glad to hear that your tsunami was a foot high! I know I was keeping you my thoughts and sending good thoughts your way all night too. And as you had a wonderful turn out as well as a great total, yeah, I think you should send in a Good News E-mail as well! I mean, hey, why not? Even through adversity and the unknown!

jbdowd0798 said:
You should submit this to HO for the Good News emails. :) Who says you can't have fun with bad weather warnings! Glad yall are ok. I have some other friends over there and were worried about ALL of you!

I agree!! Send it in! I love reading those emails and it would be cool to read the one about you!

Jen1409 said:
You should do a Hawaii one too :)
That's what I told Hubby last night before bed! LOL I just did Hawaii & Japan. ;)

When I lived in Okinawa CNN did the exact opposite and reported that Okinawa had been devastated by a tsunami. My family and friends were frantic, calling all through the night. We later found out the tsunami was a 12 inch one and CNN had obviously jumped the gun! We were never asked to head for higher ground or anything!

OMG, how horrible for you family!!! I was updating on FB as often as I could so that my friends/family would know that we were still safe. I can't imagine having them all frantic. :(

Related to Did You Survive the Okinawa Tsunami?

What is the book "I Survived the Okinawa Tsunami" about?

The book is about a young boy named Kenta, who lives in Okinawa, Japan and experiences the devastating tsunami that struck the island in 1945 during World War II.

Is this book appropriate for children?

Yes, this book is recommended for children ages 8-12. It is a part of the "I Survived" series, which is known for its engaging and educational stories for young readers.

Is this book based on a true story?

Yes, the book is based on historical events and is inspired by real survivors of the Okinawa tsunami. The author, Lauren Tarshis, did extensive research to accurately depict the events and experiences of the survivors.

What lessons can children learn from reading this book?

Children can learn about resilience, courage, and empathy from reading this book. They can also gain a deeper understanding of the impact of natural disasters and war on communities and individuals.

Are there any additional resources or activities related to this book?

Yes, Pampered Chef offers a free downloadable discussion guide for parents and teachers, as well as a fun recipe inspired by the story. These resources can be found on our website under the "Kids' Corner" section.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KimmyDarling
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DanielleQ
  • Tropicalburstqt2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
  • robynlynn007