• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did the Dates of Nc Hurt Your Cluster Attendance?

In summary, the conference dates were not the reason why I did not go, it was mostly the cost. I would have liked it to start on Thursday and go to Saturday for consultants, having the directors start a day earlier or stay a day later. I am hoping for and expecting modifications for next year based on feedback from this year.
cookn' katie
I am sending an email to HO about the dates of the conference. It seems so spread out. I hate that conference starts for consultants on Tues. I am driving up with my director so I have leave my house Sunday evening to drive to her house and then leave for Chicago early Monday. So Monday is just picking up packets. Then we have every evening off, which is nice, but why not put director training and meal in one of the evenings. That would save one whole day. And we could have started Monday morning or afternoon. And it would have gotten rid of the half day at the end. And with us getting off so early in the afternoon, I would rather have a few more meetings to go to. If I am taking a week of vacation for this, I want to learn!!! I had 3 new consultants who would have come, but hated to take a week off for it. I think if it would have started on Monday and ended on Wed afternoon, there would be more people coming. I love the idea of having all of us there, but I don't feel like we are taking advantage of it all! What are your thoughts?

I agree I am fine I dont have Full time job, I would have thought they would have even started on a Friday,Sat Sunday so peolple wouldn't have missed work

Any other year I'd have to take vacation time for this, so I see it as no different.

The dates were NOT the reason I didn't go ... it was mostly the cost. Add that to the travel expense, and having some things mess me up financially and ultimately, issues at work that kept me home bound after all.

I will say I would have had to stay a day or two longer because most people go early to accomodate directors w/them. But I would have visited family for the rest of the week or before.

everyone complained they had no free time so they gave us free nights
Directors have always had and extra day of training the last couple years.

Plus remember, I think this year is more spread out because of the fact they are only doing one wave...so alot more consultants most likely to deal with. That's causes more logistical issues of packing more stuff into less time.The only way I could see that maybe they could make it more friendly for those who do work other jobs or have to arrange childcare would be to do more Weekend Conferences. Something that started Thursday, and ended Sunday after lunch.

I plan on giving my feedback very loudly on the post-conference evaluation. The dates just aren't good. Typically PC has not liked to do any official conference events on Sundays, though that has been a travel day in the past with one wave starting first thing on Monday. I would have liked it to start on Thurs. and go to Sat. for consultants, having the directors start a day earlier or stay a day later. I'm hoping for and expecting modifications for next year based on feedback from this year. Hey, it's their first time doing this so we'll see. But if it's the same schedule next year, it will probably become an every other year thing for me. Too much money and arrangements for the kids to do this every year.

Although the extra time is nice, I have always figured that if I wanted to stay an extra day to be a tourist, I would spend that extra money to do so. Now we are all being forced to spend more and even though I do not think any more of my team would attend, it sure makes it a tougher sell.

I think the dates, just as with our shows, will never fit for everyone so they do it the best they can.

With all of that said, I am so looking forward to conference! It is such a moral booster in many ways and I intend on trying to enjoy as much as I can of our free time!

It sounded to me like they did it this way this year because of feedback given in the past. I agree with Ann that if I wanted to sightsee I would have stayed an extra day (and did actually some years). Especially in this economy we need to be looking at budgets. HO is cutting back on a lot of things to save money. I wish they'd have thought of our budgets too in this case - there is no way they are going to make everyone happy though. All they can do is try different things.

I personally wish that they would have kept it 3 days (for our budgets) and had the director stuff in one of the evenings. That's what I'll put on my review.

That being said I am so looking forward to conference. It is always a major boost to my business! I wish more of my team was coming with me.

With having another f/t job, it would have been nice to have the conference over the weekend- or at least Saturday so I wouldn't have to miss as much work but I also know, they can't please everyone. :)

My sentiments run along the same lines as Beth's.Usually we drive in the day before so we're rested for the first day. Since neither of us is a director (yet) we're driving in early on Monday. That way we won't have an extra night in the hotel.

Nobody in our cluster is going this year.
It's hardest on my director who hasn't missed a NC in her 17 years with PC, but she is finishing her last semester of nursing school, so any missing day, their final grade is docked 10 points :eek:
For me, it's mostly b/c of my full time job that I can't go. The summer is our really busy season, and it's too hard to take nearly a full week off. Last year, I took 2 1/2 days off and that was stretching it, but it was do-able. This year, I just couldn't make the logistics work.

the hardest part for me is finding child-care for 4 days. My husband usually takes at least one day off work, and then grandpa & grandma help out for the remaining time (love it when conference wave was a Thurs-Sat), but this year, the timing stinks for DH. It's his busiest week of the summer at work, and he can't take any time off. His parents are in their 70's and can't handle 4 (LONG) days of my little guy...this is tough. I'm still trying to work it all out.

It's a shame you don't live closer to us, Becky. I know several people who would love to spend time with Micah. ;)

raebates said:
It's a shame you don't live closer to us, Becky. I know several people who would love to spend time with Micah. ;)

I have 2 days taken care of for him - one day my friend Terri is watching him for the day - her little boy is M's best friend, so that works out great. But she has a very busy window coverings business that she runs from her home, so I don't want to ask her for more than one day. Another friend from church is taking care of him for a day....I need to see if G & G can handle two days! :)

I think this schedule works nice in terms of not missing out on any weekends for holding shows. I agree it's a bit more challenging for those of us who work full-time, but if it's a priority then I guess you make it work. I am taking the entire week off work. I realize not everyone can do that so please don't flame me for saying that, but I do think that we make choices based on our priorities. If you have limited time off and choose to save it for your family vacation then I support that.

For those of us that work full-time I do think it's nice to have a couple of days to unwind and unpack before going right back to work!

MLinAZ said:
I think this schedule works nice in terms of not missing out on any weekends for holding shows. I agree it's a bit more challenging for those of us who work full-time, but if it's a priority then I guess you make it work. I am taking the entire week off work. I realize not everyone can do that so please don't flame me for saying that, but I do think that we make choices based on our priorities. If you have limited time off and choose to save it for your family vacation then I support that.

For those of us that work full-time I do think it's nice to have a couple of days to unwind and unpack before going right back to work!

I agree. That's how it is with everything in life. We are all so "busy" but some find time to make calls and hold shows and others do different things with that time. It's all about motivation - what motivates you?

My DH and I choose to take our vacation to see our adult children - well, really our grandchildren. We never go anywhere else on a vacation but we do take an occasional weekend trip here or there. It works for us. It's what we choose. Fortunately, they don't live far from Chicago and I don't work another job so I get to see them and then do conference each year.

Last year after NC I wanted to maker sure I was going to be able to go again this year. I missed the 25th anniversary because I had just had a baby and was determined not to miss the 30th! I went ahead and asked my MIL to save mid July for me in case I needed childcare for NC this year. When DH got laid off I almost told my MIL to take me off her calendar (they go to lots of camping "Samborees" in the summer. So glad I had her keep us on the calendar because DH starts his new job July 7th! Yayyyy... now in past years my kids were smaller and did not like them spending this much time away even at Grandmas. She means well but is just not a very attentive caretaker. My oldest will be 9 this month and my little guy had gotten much better with his verbal communication so I feel fairly comfortable. So even though it is not perfect I planned ahead so I could make it happen.All that being said we will see... I am really excited for NC! I'm thinking HO may have gone overboard with free time. Between extra meals and an extra night of hotel expenses will be a bit more. I'm concentrating on trying to have fun while economizing...

MLinAZ said:

I totally agree and have been saying that for years!!!

I agree, PC is a priority for me right now and I put in for vacation last fall to make sure I could go. But I have some new consultants who have only been in for 4 months who it isn't a huge priority and that is why NC is so important.... I think NC paints the big picture. My 1st NC, I "got" it and when I got home it did become a priority in my life. The "die hard" PC'ers are going to make it work no matter what. But I what I was referring to when I posted this, was the new ones. They are the ones who need to see the "big picture and go the most. I just think they could have timed it better for everyone. I had 4 consultants that either couldn't take that much time off due to finances, children, etc.....

cookn' katie said:
I agree, PC is a priority for me right now and I put in for vacation last fall to make sure I could go. But I have some new consultants who have only been in for 4 months who it isn't a huge priority and that is why NC is so important.... I think NC paints the big picture. My 1st NC, I "got" it and when I got home it did become a priority in my life. The "die hard" PC'ers are going to make it work no matter what. But I what I was referring to when I posted this, was the new ones. They are the ones who need to see the "big picture and go the most. I just think they could have timed it better for everyone. I had 4 consultants that either couldn't take that much time off due to finances, children, etc.....

I agree with this. I have several new consultants who didn't have the vacation time, or couldn't get the time off because of others already having the week off. One of my SC, who just signed in April herself, could have worked it out if it was going to be a couple days, but because she (as the manager at her job) had already given time off to a couple of her employees for that time already, couldn't take 4 days off herself. I was really bummed, because I would have LOVED for her to see the big picture!

cookn' katie said:
I totally see your point. In my experience for new people it does not matter the timing. I feel that many just can't wrap their brain around how important NC is. I did not go my first year because I had the "oh I'm too new, I don't need that" mentality. (which I have heard time and time again). In our group we talk about NC almost all year and tell new people to plan to go from the start. We try to teach them from the start about adding an extra catalog show each month and to sign up for Conf. Club right away.So I guess my answer to your original question is no. I have not heard anyone say the # of days or timing is their #1 reason to not attend. If they truly feel it will benefit their biz they are making arrangements. Again this is just what I have experienced ;)

I really am liking the idea of having people REALLY plan a year ahead. As we can see, so many things come up that can make going an obstacle. I joined in March and went to my first conference. I figured that this was like going to a college for PC! I needed all the help I could find! So glad I did.

Selfishly for me, I think the best thing about the extra time is that possibly there will be time for some "old lady" naps!! For me, I am refreshed after closing my eyes for about 20 minutes. But I will need to make sure my room mates are busy because I nap with silence better:( Maybe I won't be as grumpy the last day or so being exhausted. :blushing:

baychef said:
I really am liking the idea of having people REALLY plan a year ahead. As we can see, so many things come up that can make going an obstacle. I joined in March and went to my first conference. I figured that this was like going to a college for PC! I needed all the help I could find! So glad I did.

Selfishly for me, I think the best thing about the extra time is that possibly there will be time for some "old lady" naps!! For me, I am refreshed after closing my eyes for about 20 minutes. But I will need to make sure my room mates are busy because I nap with silence better:( Maybe I won't be as grumpy the last day or so being exhausted. :blushing:

This is why conference club is so important. They start that right after conference, in August, so if you stress the importance, it is just a little taken out of their check per mo and they can get the "idea" of going in their head but if something unforseeable happens and they can't make it, they will still get their money back. It's a win win.

Hello everyone, fairly new to this site... I joined Feb 09 and just mozied along until I had my 1st recruit last Dec. I couldn't make it to NC last year as I couldn't get off of work and just had my 3rd and didn't want to mess with the nursing schedule. ANYWAYS, I'M SO looking forward to going this year, but I do have to agree, Yes, I also work elsewhere full time, but planning ahead, I saved vacation time. My Issue is the child care. Yea, sure I have sitters for my shows, but no hubbie, no family in the area and well, just all around still struggling. I currently have everything all set for every day but Monday... I know it's a travel day (Just promoted to TL in June!) and well, still, having a friend pick up and drop off and cart here and cart there, LOVE HER dearly for it, but she too works and has family of her own. Over a "LONG Weekend" would be MUCH easier!
Good to know there'll be survey after... thanks for the heads up!

Related to Did the Dates of Nc Hurt Your Cluster Attendance?

What are the dates of Nc?

The dates of Nc refer to the annual Pampered Chef National Conference, which is typically held in July or August each year. This event brings together Pampered Chef consultants from all over the country for training, networking, and product reveals.

How do the dates of Nc impact cluster attendance?

The dates of Nc can have a significant impact on cluster attendance, as many consultants may choose to attend the conference instead of their regular cluster meetings. This can result in lower attendance at cluster meetings during the conference month.

Why do some consultants choose to attend Nc instead of their cluster meetings?

Attending Nc allows consultants to gain valuable knowledge and skills, connect with other consultants, and see new products before they are released. It also provides a unique opportunity to be part of the larger Pampered Chef community and feel inspired and motivated in their business.

How can cluster meetings be affected by the dates of Nc?

The dates of Nc may cause some cluster meetings to be rescheduled or canceled due to low attendance. It is important for cluster leaders to communicate with their teams and plan accordingly to ensure the best possible turnout at their meetings.

Is it mandatory to attend Nc as a Pampered Chef consultant?

While it is highly encouraged for consultants to attend Nc, it is not mandatory. However, those who do attend often find it to be a valuable and rewarding experience that helps them grow their business and connect with other consultants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• susanr613
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
susanr613
  • chefann
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen