• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Rum Cake from Crown Pan - So Easy and Smells Divine!

I don't have the right pan or ingredients for it. But I do have the baking chocolate and the extract and the gooey stuff! But I'd like to try it! Do you think I could use real rum in this cake??? I don't have the... I don't have the right pan or ingredients for it. But I do have the baking chocolate and the extract and the gooey stuff! But I'd like to try it!Do you think I
chefann
Gold Member
I just made the rum cake from the use and care for the new Crown pan. It's essentially a giant rum-flavored glazed donut. :) Super easy - and it smells really good.

Unfortunately, I can't taste it tonight because it's for a meeting tomorrow. But based on the smell while I was making it, I think it would be good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a cup of strong coffee, or with Bananas Foster Dip poured over a slice. mmm...

I didn't like the way the pan got all wobbly as I washed it, but it seemed to clean up easily otherwise.

My second-line director has a recipe (I have to find it in my pile of stuff - I only ever had a hard copy) for a Southern Comfort cake. I think that one would be a good variation to try in this pan.

That sounds yummy!!! I think you might be able to take a tiny piece then cover it with something? You know like when you patch a wall! :)

Loved the Rum Cake from Nassau, if it tastes anything like that I will make it often!

That soungs great. I love rum cake. Post the Southern Comfort cake if you run across the recipe ... please!! And let us know how the rum cake is tomorrow!!

Ann - just make sure to put all of the rum, etc. IN THE CAKE, not IN THE COOK!

ljeffries said:
Ann - just make sure to put all of the rum, etc. IN THE CAKE, not IN THE COOK!

Aaawww...don't spoil all of her fun!!! LOL!!

j/k

It's not made with rum, unfortunately. It's made with rum extract.

Can you post the recipe Ann?

Here it is.Rum CakeNonstick cooking spray with flour
1 pkg (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to make cake
1 Tb. rum extract, divided
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
fresh fruit and thawed frozen whipped topping (optional)Heat oven to 325˚F. Spray inside of Silicone Crown Cake pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Combine cake mix, water, eggs, oil and 2 tsp of the rum extract in large bowl; mix according to package directions. Pour into pan. Bake 40-50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove cake pan from oven to cooling rack.Meanwhile, for syrup, melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and water. Simmer 1-2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove pan from heat; stir in remaining 1 tsp rum extract.Using dull end of a wooden skewer, pierce bottom of cake 50-60 times, inserting skewer halfway into cake. Brush bottom of cake with 1/2 cup of the syrup and let stand 10 minutes to soak up syrup. Invert cake onto serving platter. Lifting straight up, carefully lift cake pan off cake. Brush top of cake with remaining glaze. Serve with fruit and whipped topping, if desired.Yield: 12 servings

Thanks Ann! I don't have the pan, but I have the rest of the ingredients - might try it in the fluted pan!

janetupnorth said:
Thanks Ann! I don't have the pan, but I have the rest of the ingredients - might try it in the fluted pan!
OR - if you have the Silicone Floral Cupcake Pan, you could make a dozen little ones!:)

I sent a note to Colleen (it's her meeting tomorrow that I made this for), and we agree that we're not giving real alcohol the opportunity to shine in this recipe. :)

Well, all I have at home is the fake stuff in this case, so the fake stuff it is.

Just had a piece - yummy!

Oh, yeah- rub it in. Mine's still on the counter, under a cover.

chefann said:
Oh, yeah- rub it in. Mine's still on the counter, under a cover.

So clean your pan and make another! :p

I figure I didn't get a birthday cake so might as well! ;)

Thanks for posting! I wouldn't have thought of making it otherwise.

The problem with that idea is that I'll proceed to eat it. And I should be trying to LOSE weight, not gain it!
(And I already had a bowl of chocolate chip mint brownie ice cream tonight.)

chefann said:
The problem with that idea is that I'll proceed to eat it. And I should be trying to LOSE weight, not gain it!
(And I already had a bowl of chocolate chip mint brownie ice cream tonight.)

Funny, I just took a pan of brownies out of the oven - and was planning on a scoop of mint chip ice cream on top of a brownie! http://gi250.photobucket.com/groups/gg275/10HSR1G0CE/smiley_licking.gif

It was good. By Edy's. It had chips and little brownie balls in the ice cream. mmm...

Mine was good too! The brownie was still warm.

Ann, do you think I could use real rum in this cake??? I don't have the rum extract but I have rum! We just made the mojitos and I'm in love, I'm about to head up for, ummmm like my 4th glass !!! LOL! And my hubby made them and trippled the rum!!! YIKES:eek::eek::blushing:! And I'm feeling happy! But seriously, I want to make that cake but I don't have the fake stuff, do you think the real stuff can be used and how much?
TIA;):)

It probably can, but I'm not sure of the amount. You'd definitely need more than the 2 tsp. the recipe calls for (in the cake, and then 1 tsp in the glaze), but would also need to take out some of the water used by the cake mix. That's actually one of the reasons I wanted to find the Southern Comfort cake recipe I have - I could use that as a template for using real rum in this. ;) But I haven't had a chance to look for it yet.

Just substitute rum for the water.....you can back off and do half rum & half water if you think it might be too much - but I think 1/4 cup sounds right.

That's actually what I was thinking, Becky. :)I think this cake cries out to be made with a chocolate cake, too, so it tastes like chocolate rum balls.

chefann said:
That's actually what I was thinking, Becky. :)

I think this cake cries out to be made with a chocolate cake, too, so it tastes like chocolate rum balls.

Ahhhh! One of the things I love about you Ann - you're always thinking!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
Ahhhh! One of the things I love about you Ann - you're always thinking!:D

Why didn't you think of that last night Ann? :cry:

Guess I have to make another one this weekend... ;)

ChefBeckyD said:
Just substitute rum for the water.....you can back off and do half rum & half water if you think it might be too much - but I think 1/4 cup sounds right.

chefann said:
That's actually what I was thinking, Becky. :)

I think this cake cries out to be made with a chocolate cake, too, so it tastes like chocolate rum balls.

Thanks Ladies! I think I'm going to be making this recipe this weekend!;)

ChefBeckyD said:

Next question Becky!!! My hubby has some Baccardi 151 in the house! He likes that stuff because he doesn't have to use a drink near as much! So would you use 1/8 of a cup rum and 1/8 cup water? what do you think?

MissChef said:
Next question Becky!!! My hubby has some Baccardi 151 in the house! He likes that stuff because he doesn't have to use a drink near as much! So would you use 1/8 of a cup rum and 1/8 cup water? what do you think?

Personally, I wouldn't waste 151 on a cake! You will not notice it at all...

Ginger428 said:
Personally, I wouldn't waste 151 on a cake! You will not notice it at all...

Ginger is right....but if the 151 is all you have, then yes, you could do 1/2 & 1/2 if you want. The important thing is to keep the liquid measurement the same. And for myself, if I was going to do this - I would add a splash or 2 of vanilla extract.

OK- now that I'm back online after having tasted the cake... ;)It needed more rum flavor. I thought it was a very weak rum flavor, and it sure smelled (during prep) that it would have been stronger. But it was good, anyway.

chefann said:
OK- now that I'm back online after having tasted the cake... ;)

It needed more rum flavor. I thought it was a very weak rum flavor, and it sure smelled (during prep) that it would have been stronger. But it was good, anyway.

I think that is when it sits then it definitely needs more.

When I tasted it right away warm, it was pretty good. When I had a piece last night after 24 hours, it tasted like yellow cake to me. Hmm...

Maybe it's like vanilla - imitation doesn't do it justice, get the real stuff and its good. ????

But we don't drink in our house so unless it's up in a cubby for some special recipe, good luck finding alcohol!

Well, I drink wine and DH drinks Crown Royal when we drink, which isn't very often! But, I think I will have to go get a little bottle of Bacardi and try this b/c I love rum cake and it has to be the real stuff to taste right!!!

I've been cleaning out my office, and I finally remembered to look in the stack where I thought I had the Southern Comfort cake recipe. It's really similar, but adds pudding mix and an extra egg to the cake mix to make it a pound cake. mmm...

Southern Comfort Cake

1 (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 (3 oz) package vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 cup water
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup Southern Comfort

Combine cake ingredients in Classic Batter Bowl. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured Stoneware Fluted Pan. Bake at 325˚F for 1 hour. Set on Stackable Cooling Rack to cool. Invert on round Platter. Gently prick top with Hold N Slice; drizzle and brush 1/2 of glaze evenly over top and sides of cake. Reserve 1/2 of glaze. After cake has cooled, reheat glaze and brush it evenly over cake. Just before serving, gently shake powdered sugar over cake with Flour/Sugar shaker.

Glaze
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/8 cup water
1/4 cup Southern Comfort

Melt butter in saucepan. Mix in water and sugar. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in Southern Comfort.

Thanks Ann! I was just thinking about how to make this cake, and now with this as a template like you said before, then I will be a success at making it! Today it is raining here in Spokane, and it's barely getting to 70 degrees, so it's a good day to make a cake. And I just realized when I was making my DH's lunch this morning (at 5am:yuck:) that I was out of sweet snacks. So this will make everyone happy, plus I have a show tonight and they always seem to love it when I leave them a "yummy" when I have shows!
I need to go buy some whipcream because that would be good with it!:D

chefann said:
I've been cleaning out my office, and I finally remembered to look in the stack where I thought I had the Southern Comfort cake recipe. It's really similar, but adds pudding mix and an extra egg to the cake mix to make it a pound cake. mmm...

Southern Comfort Cake

1 (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 (3 oz) package vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 cup water
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup Southern Comfort

Combine cake ingredients in Classic Batter Bowl. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured Stoneware Fluted Pan. Bake at 325˚F for 1 hour. Set on Stackable Cooling Rack to cool. Invert on round Platter. Gently prick top with Hold N Slice; drizzle and brush 1/2 of glaze evenly over top and sides of cake. Reserve 1/2 of glaze. After cake has cooled, reheat glaze and brush it evenly over cake. Just before serving, gently shake powdered sugar over cake with Flour/Sugar shaker.

Glaze
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/8 cup water
1/4 cup Southern Comfort

Melt butter in saucepan. Mix in water and sugar. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in Southern Comfort.

Make ahead question:
If I needed to make the cake the night before I needed it, would I hold off reheating and pouring the (second round of) glaze over the cake until right before...or would I pour the remaining glaze on the night before?

I'd glaze it when you make it. It'll sit OK overnight, glazed. And that gives it time to soak into the cake.

chefann said:
I'd glaze it when you make it. It'll sit OK overnight, glazed. And that gives it time to soak into the cake.

Thanks! Can't wait to try this!

This cake rocks!!! I just made it and it smells so good and the glaze taste wonderful. Of course I used the real deal and it's great!
I don't know if I can wait until my hubby gets home to try it!:blushing::D;):rolleyes:

The rum one- as per the instructions on the use and care - is better warm, according to a couple of people. So you might as well have a sample now. ;)

Question: what did you guys use to poke the cake to brush with the glaze? Will the hold & slice work okay? I'm making this for my open house tonight. And, if it's made a few hours ahead of time; do you think it'll still taste okay?

I have a cake tester in my tool holder near the oven, but the hold n slice would work. It tastes OK made ahead, but is better a little warm. So if you can pop it into a 200˚F oven for a couple of minutes to warm it slightly, that will make it better.

OK, sounds good! I was thinking I may just warm it up a bit.
Has anyone served it with fresh fruit like the card suggests? I was thinking of getting some strawberries & cool whip to go with it.

1. How do I make the rum cake from the Crown pan?

To make the rum cake, follow the instructions in the use and care guide for the Crown pan. It's a simple recipe that results in a delicious glazed donut-like cake flavored with rum.

2. Can I add any other flavors to the rum cake?

Yes, you can definitely add other flavors to the rum cake. Some popular variations include adding vanilla extract or using different types of alcohol, such as Southern Comfort, in place of rum.

3. How should I serve the rum cake?

The rum cake is delicious on its own, but it can also be enjoyed with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or topped with a Bananas Foster Dip for added flavor. It also pairs well with a cup of strong coffee.

4. Is the Crown pan easy to clean?

The Crown pan can be a bit wobbly while washing, but it cleans up easily with warm soapy water. Make sure to dry it thoroughly after cleaning to prevent rust or discoloration.

5. Do you have a recipe for a Southern Comfort cake that can be made in the Crown pan?

Yes, our second-line director has a recipe for a Southern Comfort cake that is perfect for the Crown pan. If you don't have a copy, reach out to your Pampered Chef consultant for assistance in finding it.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Windy City Pampered Chef
Back