• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Decision Time: Surviving a Tropical Storm/Hurricane in Texas

In summary, the hurricane is predicted to hit between Galveston and Houston. It is not good, but not bad either. There is a very high chance that the hurricane will hit the area. It is very flat here, but the person may want to go because they have a daughter who lives in Conroe. They should pack and be ready to go if they decide to leave.
gingertannery
Gold Member
To stay..or to go. I guess I'll make that decision soon. Tropical storm/ possible hurricane on it's way. We are about 30 miles from the coast between Galveston and Houston. Which is not bad.. but not good either. Very flat here. Wish me luck!! My daughter lives about 30 minutes north of Houston in Conroe. May go there!

GO!! Why take the chance!!
Good luck!
:)

I live in FL so let me tell you what you should do. If you live in a low-lying area than is prone to flooding - GO! This one will be a rain maker (so they say).

We find that hurricanes Category 1 and 2 are rain makers and the higher ones are wind makers so judge what you do from that. We had our nasty one in 2004 (Charley).

please stay safe and let us know how you are doing!

I probably will go.. Not really good at the bad weather scene. Thanks for the info. I can't leave until 9 tonight. This was all rice patty fields long ago. We are on a higher place than most... but I would rather be safe.. again thanks..will pack and be ready to go.

Human life and safety comes first - if there is risk, go! You can always replace stuff but not yourself.

GO!! I also live in florida and don't risk it! it's raining really hard here right now!

DessertDivaFL said:

We find that hurricanes Category 1 and 2 are rain makers and the higher ones are wind makers so judge what you do from that. We had our nasty one in 2004 (Charley).

I agree, go!!

When Charley was coming it was suppose to hit near us (previous home) so we left for the in-laws's home. But weirdo Charley hooked a right and went up Charlotte Harbor hitting in-law's home. The house lost a roof and we were nervous during it all. Their/our's now, church only finally got rebuilt in Dec. 2007.
We live down in that area now and since we bought our hurricane shutters we haven't had a hurricane come close yet.

For peace of mind, go get out of the strong part of the wind and rain.

I'm at work in Galveston and live in the northern most part of the county.
Work is letting us out this afternoon.
We'll stay at home--and then plans are to be back to work on Wednesday.

GO!!!!!!! better safe than sorry!

Yes, go!!! If you can't leave until 9pm get all of your important documents, your computer backed up and take them with you!! But get out, just to be safe!!

ok, obviously I've missed the news lately
we are due in Houston Thursday for our sons college orientation..... HMMMMM, is there a date whe it is expected to blow thru by??

The last I heard just a bit ago is that Tues sometime check weather.com they are more accurate than I.

Thanks for all the info. Left last night and headed to my daughter's house in Conroe. It was supposed to be a direct hit... missed the house... thank goodness. But and I'm sure you can guess what I am going to say... it hit us harder in Conroe!! LOL Still was just a rain event with a little wind. This is the second time it has hit us harder by getting away.. But house and eveything is great. Thanks again. Cheffers are so awesome!! You were all so sweet yesterday with the suggestions to leave. Still glad I went.. got some great time with my only grandson.. and even brought him back to stay a few days. Bless all of you!!

Related to Decision Time: Surviving a Tropical Storm/Hurricane in Texas

1. What is the best way to prepare for a tropical storm or hurricane in Texas?

The best way to prepare for a tropical storm or hurricane in Texas is to have a plan in place. This includes creating an emergency kit with supplies such as non-perishable food, water, flashlights, and batteries. It is also important to have a designated safe area in your home or to evacuate to a designated shelter if necessary. Stay informed about the storm's progress and follow any evacuation orders given by local authorities.

2. How can I protect my home during a tropical storm or hurricane in Texas?

To protect your home during a tropical storm or hurricane in Texas, it is important to secure any loose objects or furniture outside. Board up windows and doors with hurricane shutters or plywood. Clear gutters and drains to prevent flooding. You may also want to consider purchasing flood insurance to protect your home and belongings.

3. What should I do if I am unable to evacuate during a tropical storm or hurricane?

If you are unable to evacuate during a tropical storm or hurricane, it is important to have a safe area in your home designated. This area should be in an interior room, away from windows and doors. Stay informed about the storm's progress and have supplies such as food, water, and a battery-powered radio on hand. Follow any instructions or warnings from local authorities.

4. How long do tropical storms or hurricanes typically last in Texas?

The duration of a tropical storm or hurricane can vary, but they typically last for a few days. Before the storm hits, it is important to have enough supplies to last for at least 72 hours. However, the aftermath of a storm can also have long-lasting effects, so it is important to continue to stay informed and follow any instructions from local authorities.

5. What should I do after a tropical storm or hurricane has passed in Texas?

After a tropical storm or hurricane has passed in Texas, it is important to stay safe and assess any damage to your home or property. Avoid downed power lines and flooded areas. Contact your insurance company if needed. You may also want to check on your neighbors and offer assistance if needed. Be prepared for potential power outages and continue to stay informed about any potential hazards in your area.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • pamperedlinda
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • Addie4TLC
  • General Chat
Replies