• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with a Complaining Guest: What Should I Do?

In summary, the customer is always complaining and the consultant does not want to have to deal with her. The consultant decides to return the scoop herself.
pamperedape
I am SO not trying to sound like a brat, but I have a guest who wants me to return her quick stir pitcher for her. It looks like she dropped it, and the pour spout part broke off.

Now, I normally wouldn't mind AT ALL, but this guest is always complaining. Like - in front of the other guests RIPPING their old consultant apart, complaining about HO, just knocking the stuff. Then she turns around and places large orders each time. :confused:

I guess I'll do it so she'll be quiet, but really - is that my job??

I think I have had her at a couple of my shows too.

I thought she lived in Wisconsin.

I always thought she was the "get around" kind...

I know her - she comes to a few of my shows every year..

Oh....I hope ya'll keep her away from Georgia!

Last edited:
You don't have to send it back for her personally but you could make the arrangements for her. That way you are still helping but not paying for the return. Or you could just give her the phone number to call and leave it at that.

Brandi2007 said:
You don't have to send it back for her personally but you could make the arrangements for her. That way you are still helping but not paying for the return. Or you could just give her the phone number to call and leave it at that.

I had a customer go OFF on me today. She purchased the Med SS Scoop on Oct 4th at my show. Got it & realied she really wanted the Large (I'd had both with me at that show so she could have compared sizes then)
She called abotu exchanging - I gave her the 888# to call and explained hwo the process would work. She left me a voicemail at 9am today (Saturday) literally RANTING on my VM about how she can't be bothered hanging on hold with PC and she shouldnt have to be bothered w/packing up the scoop to send it back ("Why should I have to pay for a padded envelope or a box??") She said, and I quote, "I am putting it out on my front step in the packaing it came in. I expect you to come pick it up TODAY and get it exchanged for me and deliver the new one to my home. I will pay you for the new one when it arrives." :eek:
Mind you this woman lives almost an hour away from me - she placed a big ole $35 order and blew a FIT at the show when I asked if she'd like to round up. She wrote her check out to The Pampered Chef (after I'd explained that checks need to be made out to me) and stated that she was not comfortable writing a check out to me as she doesn't know me...so I told her if she wanted to place an order she could either write ME a check, hand ME cash or pay with a credit card...or she could write a check to the host who would then give me the $. I guess she realized she was making an ass of herself at that point 'cuz she then backed down.
SO back to today's VM, I called her back and she was just ranting & raving barely letting me speak. I told her I would not and could not come pick up the item and to please remove it from her doorstep before someone stole it. I told her I would call HO on monday and arrange for a fedEx p/u and she woudl have to pack it up & put it out. She ranted some more - and I told her "If you'd ordered from Bloomingdales catalog they'd do the same thing - only they'd make YOU pay to ship it back - PC is paying for the pickup!" Her reply "I don't shop at Bloomingdales." UGH. So - the way we left it is I am calling HO on monday and will give her a ref # and she can put it on the fron porch. Oh, and just to show me...she's now NOT going to order the Lg scoop :cry: Good Lord...someone take this crazy-woman off my hands!

ETA: sorry for the hijack...

'Tis okay.

Geez. I swear, the longer I do this, the more I realize just how normal and decent I am!

As for giving her the # or any answers as to how to return it - she gave it to my friend to give to me on Thursday. SO, it's mine. Oh, AND it had old Kool-Aid mold in it!!!!!!

dannyzmom said:
I had a customer go OFF on me today. She purchased the Med SS Scoop on Oct 4th at my show. Got it & realied she really wanted the Large (I'd had both with me at that show so she could have compared sizes then)
She called abotu exchanging - I gave her the 888# to call and explained hwo the process would work. She left me a voicemail at 9am today (Saturday) literally RANTING on my VM about how she can't be bothered hanging on hold with PC and she shouldnt have to be bothered w/packing up the scoop to send it back ("Why should I have to pay for a padded envelope or a box??") She said, and I quote, "I am putting it out on my front step in the packaing it came in. I expect you to come pick it up TODAY and get it exchanged for me and deliver the new one to my home. I will pay you for the new one when it arrives." :eek:
Mind you this woman lives almost an hour away from me - she placed a big ole $35 order and blew a FIT at the show when I asked if she'd like to round up. She wrote her check out to The Pampered Chef (after I'd explained that checks need to be made out to me) and stated that she was not comfortable writing a check out to me as she doesn't know me...so I told her if she wanted to place an order she could either write ME a check, hand ME cash or pay with a credit card...or she could write a check to the host who would then give me the $. I guess she realized she was making an ass of herself at that point 'cuz she then backed down.
SO back to today's VM, I called her back and she was just ranting & raving barely letting me speak. I told her I would not and could not come pick up the item and to please remove it from her doorstep before someone stole it. I told her I would call HO on monday and arrange for a fedEx p/u and she woudl have to pack it up & put it out. She ranted some more - and I told her "If you'd ordered from Bloomingdales catalog they'd do the same thing - only they'd make YOU pay to ship it back - PC is paying for the pickup!" Her reply "I don't shop at Bloomingdales." UGH. So - the way we left it is I am calling HO on monday and will give her a ref # and she can put it on the fron porch. Oh, and just to show me...she's now NOT going to order the Lg scoop :cry: Good Lord...someone take this crazy-woman off my hands!

ETA: sorry for the hijack...

Wow! So sorry you had to deal with that! Some people definitely take it too far. You did everything right!

pamperedape said:
I am SO not trying to sound like a brat, but I have a guest who wants me to return her quick stir pitcher for her. It looks like she dropped it, and the pour spout part broke off.

Now, I normally wouldn't mind AT ALL, but this guest is always complaining.

Sounds like she needs a lot of attention :( She's the brat!

Question....Is she a frequent guest because of repeat parties hosted by her friends?

If so, I'd be expanding my business in another direction :eek:

Wish there was a diplomatic way to encourage hosts to Not Invite Certain People. :yuck: If there is...let me know.

Maybe I need an attitude adjustment towards Certain People?:rolleyes: I try to kill 'em with kindness.

Whether you return something for a customer is a personal choice. Could be customer service. I do that sometimes if I have a few people that need things returned (they come in bunches for me). I take everything and get #'s and return it in one box for them. Yes, it costs me money, but I figure it's a way to keep loyalty, especially for good customers. NOT the case if they didn't buy it from me.

However, if you don't want to...isn't it on the receipt to not give it to a consultant?? I am happy to get reference #'s for them b/c I do it ONLINE! Easy and it's so very impressive.:D

I'm so very sorry to hear about the difficult customer. At LEAST it was within the 30 days!! I always feel like telling people that I'm NOT Walmart and luckily the quality of our products isn't like Walmart either. I esp feel that way when they don't have a receipt...even better when they claim it's under warranty and I can tell by the nifty dating system they have now that it's NOT. Ahhhh...

On a positive note, I made reminder calls for a host recently and got one guest the was definitely coming and ranted about her skillet that was in horrible condition and she wanted to exchange it. Talked to her and figured that it's the Generation II and it's not under warranty anymore. Explained that it wasn't really intended for the heavy usage and that's probably why it's out of our product line. She made a "joking" comment saying that she'd be nice and not bring it to the show b/c no one would buy cookware then! I said that'd be fine b/c they can't buy that piece anyway. She laughed and said "Good point, you got me there." She came and purchased the Executive 12" Skillet and lid and the host's mom bought the 12" skillet and Stir-Fry. Huh...I'd never sold that much full-price cookware!! She was VERY nice at the show. I was a little worried on the phone! I thanked her for grilling me on the phone.:p

If she is that much of a pain, I wouldn't do her any favors. I wouldn't want her bugging me to return something every single time she isn't happy. I did a return for a lady right after I started who also was a nice pain about it. Went out of my way to help her--never heard from her again.

I would let her know that you'd be happy to contact customer service for her, but that she will have to return the product or send you a check for a box & shipping before you return it. I don't believe we should have to pay to ship an item back.

We are not supposed to ship product back for the customer. If you do it, it's a personal customer service thing. Don't let this lady force you in to returning it. Get the reference # for her, and whatever she needs to send it back, but then contact her so she can pick the item up and take it to the post office herself.

Dropping her QSP is not covered under warranty ~ if she calls HO and tells them what she did, they would tell her "warranties are only covered under normal use, not mishandling of products." Bouncing her QSP on the floor is not normal use.

I never take items to be returned...it states on the sales receipt something like "Consultants are not authorized to handle returns." ...doesn't it?

We aren't caterers, we aren't personal UPS...or FedEx agents...and we aren't doormats!

I feel your pains!

uuugghhh!

ChefNic said:
I never take items to be returned...it states on the sales receipt something like "Consultants are not authorized to handle returns." ...doesn't it?

We aren't caterers, we aren't personal UPS...or FedEx agents...and we aren't doormats!

I feel your pains!

uuugghhh!

I just looked at a receipt and didn't see that anywhere.

Oh...the receipts used to say that.

I still tell them that I am not supposed to take their product, but that I can help them out by calling the Solutions Center and getting their reference number and telling them how/where to send it back.

I agree with others here...I have only ever paid for and sent ONE person's product back in...that was my call since she is an awesome customer and very sweet. Otherwise, I do the "legwork" but then tell them how to send it back themselves. We certainly are not required to pay for postage and spend our time taking care of someone else's stuff! They don't expect that from Target, or Macy's or something....why do they sometimes think WE should do that!??!??

No- the receipts used to say "Consultants are not authorized to take returns."

I had a show an hour or so away yesterday. Show is at 2:00. At 4:00 p.m. as everyone is done chatting and socializing and the last guest is leaving, two older ladies walk in. Well, one is the MIL of the host and the other is her sister. They start to mumble how there is no food left for them (we made the 30 minute chicken and garlic bites). Mind you now, they WERE invited and declined...

Anyway, they want to place an order so I give them each a folder, some free recipe cards for the garlic bites and continue on. They go through all my tools (which I don't mind because that is why I bring them) and MIL complains that the one she loves isn't there.

Anyway, she gets her SIL to place a good size order...about $80. She places an order for a apple wedger.
(She said she just attended a show a few days prior and spent too much money - Host tells me later that this show was with an aquaintance only, she was invited to this one first and decided to go to the other one and shop their rather than with her DIL). Anyway, I tally their order forms and they both pay.

Well, I get a call today from her saying, "I've been thinking about this and can you put my order for my apple wedger on my SIL's order? I don't think I should pay half the product value in shipping." GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I explain that as a consultant I don't ever do that and for warranty items it should be in your name, but she insists and I said I'll mark it down but she has to be responsible to the host and her SIL to let them know because I can't sort it out when the show ships to the host.

Well, now I have to send her $4.00 to her!!!!! I'm keeping her $.21 for tax charged on it for the postage! Luckily I can put a check in with the hosts receipts that I have to mail anyway... (The funny thing is she did round up from $16.35 to $16.50 for the Food Pantry...she wouldn't round to $17.00 only $16.50)

So, although not as bad as Carolyn's guest and the other situation, we all come across them...and have to deal with them the best we can...

Some people just were last in line when God dished out common sense and courtesy...

Last edited:
janetupnorth said:
I had a show an hour or so away yesterday. Show is at 2:00. At 4:00 p.m. as everyone is done chatting and socializing and the last guest is leaving, two older ladies walk in. Well, one is the MIL of the host and the other is her sister. They start to mumble how there is no food left for them (we made the 30 minute chicken and garlic bites). Mind you now, they WERE invited and declined...

Anyway, they want to place an order so I give them each a folder, some free recipe cards for the garlic bites and continue on. They go through all my tools (which I don't mind because that is why I bring them) and MIL complains that the one she loves isn't there.

Anyway, she gets her SIL to place a good size order...about $80. She places an order for a apple wedger.
(She said she just attended a show a few days prior and spent too much money - Host tells me later that this show was with an aquaintance only, she was invited to this one first and decided to go to the other one and shop their rather than with her DIL). Anyway, I tally their order forms and they both pay.

Well, I get a call today from her saying, "I've been thinking about this and can you put my order for my apple wedger on my SIL's order? I don't think I should pay half the product value in shipping." GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I explain that as a consultant I don't ever do that and for warranty items it should be in your name, but she insists and I said I'll mark it down but she has to be responsible to the host and her SIL to let them know because I can't sort it out when the show ships to the host.

Well, now I have to send her $4.00 to her!!!!! I'm keeping her $.21 for tax charged on it for the postage! Luckily I can put a check in with the hosts receipts that I have to mail anyway... (The funny thing is she did round up from $16.35 to $16.50 for the Food Panty...she wouldn't round to $17.00 only $16.50)

So, although not as bad as Carolyn's guest and the other situation, we all come across them...and have to deal with them the best we can...

Some people just were last in line when God dished out common sense and courtesy...

.....or possibly were in the wrong line altogether.........:grumpy:

I just had a similar thing happen on a show - but she also changed her order from a $25 order to a $12 order.....and bumped the host back down a level......

My husband always says "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my behalf". Tell her to buy her next pitcher at Wal-Mart... they take anything back!
I don't have the patience to haul my 2 1/2 year old to the post office for customer's returns... I have a life too. I'll handle it through HO for her if she wants, but the shipping's on her.
I had a customer email this week who is just now getting out the stone she bought in September and it's chipped. She was nice about it, but a little shocked that she had to pay to send it back... I'm going to give her a Season's best and a couple pan scrapers to help 'make up for it', but it's not my fault she didn't get around to opening it for a month and a half!

ChefBeckyD said:
.....or possibly were in the wrong line altogether.........:grumpy:

I just had a similar thing happen on a show - but she also changed her order from a $25 order to a $12 order.....and bumped the host back down a level......
With her attitude, she probably completely skipped the line! Some people's children just amaze me.....

janetupnorth said:
Well, now I have to send her $4.00 to her!!!!! I'm keeping her $.21 for tax charged on it for the postage! Luckily I can put a check in with the hosts receipts that I have to mail anyway... (The funny thing is she did round up from $16.35 to $16.50 for the Food Panty...she wouldn't round to $17.00 only $16.50)

When did we start selling those?? My DH will be so excited! (HaHa, beat you to it KG!!):D

sfdavis918 said:
When did we start selling those?? My DH will be so excited! (HaHa, beat you to it KG!!):D

Oh my...shouldn't type fast on a laptop... :blushing:

You can just buy fruit roll-ups - heard they taste the same.... ;)

ChefNic said:

I feel your pains!

uuugghhh!

It doesn't say this anymore (darnit!), but it does say, "If you are not completely satisfied with a nonconsumable product within one year from the date of purchase, contact our Solution Center. Upon return of product with original sales receipt (at your expense), we will replace, refund or exchange the item for any other item available for sale at the time of the original purchase, provided it has not been discontinued."

I think this completely covers those of us who choose not to return items for our customers. It is up to them to pay to return it and also to contact the Solution Center. So, anyone who does anything extra is being super nice, IMO!! Hope that helps. Oh, and if the customer just hands me the item with no receipt (and they didn't buy it from me), I hand it right back to them. Sorry. I even have my "policy" on my website - check out my "home page" message if you want to see what it says. I got so sick of people assuming I was their little PC dumping person that I felt like I had to put something out there.

I also add something along the lines of, "I can't take your return because I don't carry inventory and I can't swap it out for something... that's why you'll need to deal directly with our solution center." When I give them this valid reason, they seem to take it better and not like I'm not willing to try. Also, this is a great recruiting plug for someone who was in a DS business where they did have to keep inventory.

I got someone that had a 12 year old pizza cutter and thought I should give her a free one at the show she was attending. Now, she was very nice and it was a fun show, but even so people just try to SEE what they can get away with. I told her that's pretty good. 12 years for a pizza cutter! And NOW she could get the new and improved version! I sold about 5 pizza cutters. Yes, she bought a new one. People also expect lifetime warranties on everything and they should be able to just give it to us without a receipt b/c Tupperware allows it. Well, I tell them, TW does NOT have lifetime warranty on many things other than the storage containers, which should last longer than something you are using and abusing and cutting with on a daily basis. As for returns without a receipt, I agree that if it's not my customer (or a purchase from me), I just tell them that they can contact PC to see if they can take care of it or I'll give them a 10% discount on a new one. Have to get the broken one first though b/c I can just see people saying it's broken, getting a discounted one and still using the "broken" one too.

I get that a lot with the MSS... they bring it to me at shows and want me to give them one free. UGH!

finley1991 said:
I get that a lot with the MSS... they bring it to me at shows and want me to give them one free. UGH!
Especially when they've melted the handle! I have at least one customer a year bring me a melted one and try to get a new one free. I tell them that it's a SERVING spatula, not a cooking spatula. Sometimes that's when they pipe in with, "Oh, so that's what's scratching up the nonstick in my cookware, then." :rolleyes:

Related to Dealing with a Complaining Guest: What Should I Do?

1. What should I do if a guest is constantly complaining?

It is important to listen to the guest's concerns and try to address them in a calm and professional manner. It may also be helpful to set boundaries and communicate that disrespectful behavior towards other consultants or the company is not acceptable.

2. How can I handle a guest who wants me to return a damaged product?

As a consultant, it is your responsibility to provide excellent customer service and ensure that guests are satisfied with their purchases. If the product was damaged due to a manufacturing defect, it can be returned or exchanged according to the company's return policy. However, if it was damaged due to mishandling by the guest, it is important to communicate that this is not covered under the return policy.

3. What if the guest is always complaining about the company or other consultants?

If the guest is continuously expressing negative opinions about the company or other consultants, it may be helpful to address this behavior directly. You can politely remind them that everyone has different experiences and it is important to maintain a respectful and professional attitude towards others.

4. Should I return the product just to appease the complaining guest?

As a consultant, it is important to follow the company's return policy and not deviate from it to appease a guest. If the product was damaged due to a manufacturing defect, it can be returned or exchanged. However, if it was damaged due to mishandling by the guest, it is not within your responsibility to return it.

5. How can I maintain a positive attitude when dealing with a complaining guest?

It can be challenging to remain positive when dealing with a complaining guest, but it is important to remember that their behavior is not a reflection of you or your work. Stay calm, listen to their concerns, and try to address them in a professional manner. It may also be helpful to focus on the positive aspects of your job and the satisfaction of other guests.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pamperedpals
  • Jen1409
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sherri lynn
  • evk1972
  • General Chat
Replies