• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with a Cat Who Won't Use the Litter Box: Tips and Tricks

It sounds like your cat is used to going to the same place to pee and poop, so when you changed the litter he got confused and started peeing and pooping in other places. Try keeping a close eye on him and putting him in his box whenever he starts to go outside the box, and try different kinds of litter until he gets used to it.
Chef_2_Four
seriously!! I got this cat litter that didn't clump like what I usually use so low and behold I found out that he has been going to the bathroom in random places of the house. So I got the litter I usually use and he still pee'd away from the box. He isn't even a year old so I don't know what the deal is. I don't know if he didn't like the litter or what. But with Wesley, Ben and Layla and a dog I don't know if I can keep cleaning up after him!! I showed him the box again with the new litter in it and he just ran away from it. I took the lid off of the box thinking maybe something scared him....he hasn't went since this morning in the house but I really don't want to wake up to clean up a mess in the morning. Any advice? I would really hate to kick him outside since he has ALWAYS been an inside cat. I hope he starts using the box soon!!

OK...don't give up! It sounds like he is new to the family. Keep a watch on him and follow where he goes. If he starts to look like he is going to pee grab him calmly and tell him no then take him to his box, try to keep him there a few mins., then tell him good boy. Also make sure to physically take him to his box every 1-2 hours, show him with his paw to scratch the sand and talk to him in a calm voice and tell him it is ok and he is a good boy. Yes, it could have been the type of sand you are using, cats can be picky about their box. Make sure the box is not real dirty too. If he is declawed sometimes this will cause a cat not to use a box among other problems.
I just went through this with a cat we adopted that is about a year old. It took about a week for him to get use to us and where his box was from us showing him often. He hasn’t made a mess since. I’ve had cats all my life and never have had a problem unless they have had a medical problem. That’s another thing to watch for. A cat that has always used the box and then stops may have a medical problem. Keep working with him and have everyone help in the family. He'll get it after a while. Keep me updated.

Last edited:
Thanks! We have had him since Jan and this is the first problem we have had with him not going in the box so I am thinking it is the litter. I'm not worried about the box being cleaned I clean it out daily.

Thank you!

Hi! April
I do foster care for kittens too young for adoption. I dont know all the answers, but I was wondering you mentioned you took the lid off the litter box is there a chance that something spooked the kitten while it was doing his business. You might want to try using a box tucked inside a plastic bag with the litter on top of the plastic ( it makes for easy clean up) and a night place the kitten and new litter box in a bathroom or other small room, this will help keep the mess to a small area. Hope this helps.

Hi, again.

How old is your cat and has he been neutered? You mentioned that he pee'd outside of the box does he do his other business in the box. He could be marking his teritory.

pamperedcindy said:
Hi, again.

How old is your cat and has he been neutered? You mentioned that he pee'd outside of the box does he do his other business in the box. He could be marking his teritory.

he is about 9 months old. he hasn't been doing anything in the box. I wasn't finding evidence of him pooping out of the box because the dog was eathing it! :eek: He was still going some in his box but not like usual. He hasn't pee'd anymore in the house but not in the box either. Hopefully since I went back to the other litter that will help solve the problem!!

Hopefully everything is ok now.

checked the box when I got up and there is something there! i guess it was the litter.

Related to Dealing with a Cat Who Won't Use the Litter Box: Tips and Tricks

1. What are some common behavior issues with cats?

Some common behavior issues with cats include scratching furniture, not using the litter box, and excessive meowing.

2. How can I prevent my cat from scratching furniture?

Provide your cat with a scratching post and regularly trim their nails. You can also use double-sided tape or citrus scents to deter them from scratching furniture.

3. Why is my cat not using the litter box?

There could be several reasons for this behavior, including a dirty litter box, medical issues, or stress. Make sure to keep the litter box clean and consult with your veterinarian if the issue persists.

4. How can I stop my cat from meowing excessively?

Excessive meowing can be a sign of hunger, boredom, or illness. Make sure your cat is getting enough food and attention, and consult with your vet if the meowing continues.

5. What should I do if my cat is aggressive towards me or other pets?

If your cat is displaying aggressive behavior, it is important to consult with a veterinarian to rule out any underlying medical issues. You may also need to work with a professional behaviorist to address and modify your cat's behavior.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies