• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Curious about my Rock N Roll style's impact on my business? Learn more here.

S
slingmommy
I'm curious about how my look will affect my new business. My dh likes to kid me that I'm "a little bit rock n roll". I have tattoos (easily hidden, but sometimes I don't) and I have streaks of blue in my red hair. My "business casual" would not look the same as your average conservative type, but I wouldn't wear jeans or look crazy or anything. I live in Los Angeles so maybe it's not that big of an issue, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks that you really MUST look a certain way to represent PC and make some money.

I just think that it would be the type of customer you have, where you find them, and all. Maybe you could have a plan B for the more conservative type. But it is your business after all, and I think a lot of it does depend on the area you live in.

what is the deal with no jeans? I wear nice jeans to most of my parties. i used to wear them at work too.

jdavis said:
I just think that it would be the type of customer you have, where you find them, and all. Maybe you could have a plan B for the more conservative type. But it is your business after all, and I think a lot of it does depend on the area you live in.

Very well said Jennifer. It all really depends on who you're doing a show for. I will play a risque PC game with my customers but with a new crowd, I won't b/c I don't know them YET. Feel your host out and if they have a problem with your hair, you don't want to associate yourself with them anyways, right?;)

That reminded me that I had planned on playing that name that tool R rated version game, lol, at a show I knew it would be a hit at, someone I know, but she had invited a family who I know are very um, I don't know how to put it, anyway, it really sucked that I couldn't play the game, I showed her the game afterwards and she said that would have been hilarious, why didn't you play it, oh yeah, lol, that's right.Anyway, back on topic.....if it would offend some I might, depending on how I felt about it at the time try to fit in with the crowd, but it is funny, like in the story above how in one person's friends group how opposite some of the friends can be, one might love something the other hates.

sarahmarie said:
what is the deal with no jeans? I wear nice jeans to most of my parties. i used to wear them at work too.

Sarahmarie, I agree. Jeans can be so cute!

I think as long as you look clean and well groomed, people won't care about tatoos or colored hair. I think if you want to worry about anything, worry about your hands!

I think it is all in the way you present yourself. If you feel comfortable I think that is all the matters. When you do a show and you see someone looking at your tatoo's and your hair color tell them that they could get this look too, Ha Ha. Just see how it goes and go from there.

You know, we so often look for people like us when we're recruiting that we forget that ANYONE can do this job.

At conference, there was a gal who got up at our Exec Banquet and told her story. She was at a show and was recruited there. Then she took off her cardigan and her arms were COVERED in tatoos. She said good thing it was a winter show and I was wearing a sweater otherwise my recruiter probably would have never mentioned the opportunity to me. How true!

We each get to run our biz the way we want to. I've long been a proponent of no jeans, but guess what? I wore them to a show last night and I was totally comfortable!

I wouldn't try to downplay or over accentuate anything that might make you stand out. Just be yourself and tell people how much you love your job, be respectful of them and their homes and you should be just fine. :)

DebbieJ said:
You know, we so often look for people like us when we're recruiting that we forget that ANYONE can do this job.

At conference, there was a gal who got up at our Exec Banquet and told her story. She was at a show and was recruited there. Then she took off her cardigan and her arms were COVERED in tatoos. She said good thing it was a winter show and I was wearing a sweater otherwise my recruiter probably would have never mentioned the opportunity to me. How true!

We each get to run our biz the way we want to. I've long been a proponent of no jeans, but guess what? I wore them to a show last night and I was totally comfortable!

I wouldn't try to downplay or over accentuate anything that might make you stand out. Just be yourself and tell people how much you love your job, be respectful of them and their homes and you should be just fine. :)

Debbie,

I was at the same banquet and was trying to remember the story. Thanks for saving me the typing. ;)

What a great way to show that PC is for everyone, and you don't have to be buttoned-down to be a part of PC!

I wear jeans and a PC shirt of some kind (depending on the weather) to all my shows. I'm comfortable, and my guests are comfortable. Then again, I live in rural Indiana, so 98 percent of the guests at my shows are dressed in jeans. Of course, we're usually talking about the way PC makes fixing dinner fast and easy. Most people I know get comfy before fixing dinner. Heck, half the time I've changed into my jammies before I start dinner. At least I'm not wearing that to my shows. :D

As far as the tattoos are concerned, these days that's more likely to get you bookings than to lose them. One of our pastors is a former tattoo artist, and his arms are covered with tattoos. Several of my son's friends have tattoos. They're pretty common these days.

And, blue streaks in your red hair? I bet that looks great.

Be yourself, and you'll be successful!:)

Have fun!:D If people have fun at your shows and really feel you care about them enough to answer questions and to help with PC problems, it doesn't matter what you look like, they will love you and who doesn't love PC!!

Besides it's the recipes and the attitude we have about our products that really gets them, I think. Our products sell themselves. But it doesn't hurt to be nice and fun.

Debbie

i know too pastors (husband and wife) who own a tatoo parlor and are both covered. It doesnt matter. How many times have you judged someone on their appearance? maybe a few, maybe a lot, but in the end it really doesnt matter. Who cares if you show up in jeans or a little black dress to your shows. you want to look professional and not like a slob. If i can make jean look dressy then i will wear them. if i want to wear jean and a t-shirt to my show then that is my choice and i believe thast people will still listen to me. Just make people feel comfortable. If they judge you then that is thier fault.

sarahmarie said:
"no jeans" was something my Director told me. I guess she didn't mean it as a hard and fast rule, just something she wouldn't do. I misunderstood her I guess. I'm glad to hear that other people wear jeans since I have some tops that go great with jeans.

apriljc said:
I think it is all in the way you present yourself. If you feel comfortable I think that is all the matters. When you do a show and you see someone looking at your tatoo's and your hair color tell them that they could get this look too, Ha Ha. Just see how it goes and go from there.
I love that! Thanks.

DebbieJ said:

What a great story!

sarahmarie said:
i know too pastors (husband and wife) who own a tatoo parlor and are both covered. It doesnt matter. How many times have you judged someone on their appearance? maybe a few, maybe a lot, but in the end it really doesnt matter. Who cares if you show up in jeans or a little black dress to your shows. you want to look professional and not like a slob. If i can make jean look dressy then i will wear them. if i want to wear jean and a t-shirt to my show then that is my choice and i believe thast people will still listen to me. Just make people feel comfortable. If they judge you then that is thier fault.
Excellent advice, thanks!

I went to a BeautiControl party and the consultant had just turned 18. I am not judging on age, because I am only 21, but I pay my mortgage and take care of my two kids, and she was just out of high school. She didn't know anything about her products, wore ripped jeans and a pound of makeup. Jeans can be done one way, or they can be done a classy way. I wear jeans to every show (clean dark jeans, now with a giant maternity band, LOL!) but I do my hair, wear modest makeup, and wear my PC polo shirt.

I think that how you look does affect sales, but it is more in the clothes. Hair matters, but not the color. I just think that people don't want hair in their food whether it is blue or blonde. Tattoos show you have a personality, and that probably helps. I think if you wear nice clothes for your area & have your hair out of your face than you will be showing the same amount of professionalism as someone without tattoos or hair streaks. 90% is how you carry yourself! If you think you rock, you rock!! If anything they're sure to remember you!!

I couldn't have said it better!~
gilliandanielle said:
I went to a BeautiControl party and the consultant had just turned 18. I am not judging on age, because I am only 21, but I pay my mortgage and take care of my two kids, and she was just out of high school. She didn't know anything about her products, wore ripped jeans and a pound of makeup. Jeans can be done one way, or they can be done a classy way. I wear jeans to every show (clean dark jeans, now with a giant maternity band, LOL!) but I do my hair, wear modest makeup, and wear my PC polo shirt.

I think that how you look does affect sales, but it is more in the clothes. Hair matters, but not the color. I just think that people don't want hair in their food whether it is blue or blonde. Tattoos show you have a personality, and that probably helps. I think if you wear nice clothes for your area & have your hair out of your face than you will be showing the same amount of professionalism as someone without tattoos or hair streaks. 90% is how you carry yourself! If you think you rock, you rock!! If anything they're sure to remember you!!

Exactly :)

Ditto. I've worn jeans to my last few shows now that we are FINALLY getting fall weather here, but they are always clean and I'm neatly dressed. I think that's what is most important.

When I first started with PC, I NEVER wore jeans.....but then I had a baby, lost all of my free time, and now wear jeans(nice ones) if that's whats clean! I always wear a nice shirt/sweater, and make sure I am well groomed (Gillian said it best!) Even though I wear jeans on occasion now (almost always to my Sat. brunch shows), I was still feeling a bit guilty.....until one day I realized - what's the difference between wearing a pair of nice jeans, or wearing the jean apron that PC provides??? (I never wear my apron!)

I agree that it's all in how you carry yourself. I like to think that I'm a fun person and that comes across in how I dress and act. Hopefully it will reflect well on my sales too!

slingmommy said:
I agree that it's all in how you carry yourself. I like to think that I'm a fun person and that comes across in how I dress and act. Hopefully it will reflect well on my sales too!

I'm sure it will. Good luck with PC.

Related to Curious about my Rock N Roll style's impact on my business? Learn more here.

1. How will having tattoos and unconventional hair affect my professional image?

Having visible tattoos and non-traditional hair may cause some people to view you as less professional or serious, but it ultimately depends on the industry and culture of your business. In Los Angeles, where creativity and individuality are valued, it may not have a significant impact on your success. However, it's important to be aware of your target audience and adjust your appearance accordingly if necessary.

2. Will my "rock n roll" style be seen as unprofessional in the business world?

It's possible that some more traditional or conservative clients or colleagues may view your style as unprofessional. However, it's important to remember that professionalism is not solely based on appearance. As long as you are confident, knowledgeable, and conduct yourself professionally, your style should not hinder your success.

3. Do I need to conform to a certain look in order to be successful in business?

No, there is no one specific look that guarantees success in business. It's more important to be authentic and comfortable in your own skin. However, it's always a good idea to dress appropriately for the occasion and be aware of your audience.

4. Will my "rock n roll" style affect my potential to make money?

Your style may not directly impact your ability to make money, but it could affect how others perceive you and potentially impact your business relationships. It's important to find a balance between expressing your personal style and presenting a professional image.

5. Should I hide my tattoos and unconventional hair in a business setting?

It's ultimately up to you and your personal comfort level. If you feel that your tattoos and unconventional hair may distract or hinder your professional interactions, it may be best to cover them in a business setting. However, if you feel confident and comfortable with your appearance, there is no need to hide it. It's important to be true to yourself and your personal brand.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
melindag
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Back