• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties: Shop for Chutney Tomorrow Night!

In summary, chutney is a condiment that is popular in South Asia. It can be dry or wet, and is usually made with a variety of spices. It can be found in specialty food shops or grocery stores.
Jennie4PC
What is chutney and where can I get it? I plan on making the caribbean meat filled pasties and I will go shopping tomorrow night:D

I love Wikipedia!!!! Find more info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChutneyA chutney (British spelling), chatni (Urdu or Hindi transliteration) or catni (archaic transliteration) is a term for a variety of sweet and spicy condiments, originally from South Asia. The chutney is known by name Bajji in Tulu and Gojju in Kannada. Chutney may be dry or wet. Dry chutney is generally in form of powder.In India, a chutney is often made to be eaten fresh, using whatever suitable strongly flavoured ingredients are locally traditional or available at the time. It would not normally contain preserving agents, since it is intended to be consumed soon after preparation. Chutney, as a genre, is often similar to the salsa of Latino cooking, or European relish insofar as it usually involves a fresh, chopped primary vegetable/fruit with seasonings added, to be used as a condiment for another food.The Hindi translation of "to make chutney" is a common idiom meaning "to crush". This is because the process of making chutney often involves the crushing together of the ingredients.The use of a stone chutney maker is often regarded as vital to create the ideal chutney. It is a small stone bowl (called a "kharal" or "khal" in Hindi), or a flat piece of stone (called a "sil") on which the ingredients are crushed together with a rounded stick of stone or wood (called a "batta", pronounced with a hard 't').Chutney is more familiar in North America and Europe in a form that can be stored. To this end, vegetable oil, vinegar, or lemon juice are used to enhance the keeping properties.

look for it in the ethnic food section of the grocery store or most specialty shops carry them. they look like jams (so you have a clue what type of container your looking for)
hth

I found it in the condiment aisle at Meijer's. Meijer's is a 24 hour, everything kind of store. Groceries, home and garden. health & beauty, etc, etc.

As for the meat filled pastries.. you didn't say you were doing these for a show or just for you. I made them at a training, and they took me forever!

If your grocery has ethnic/imported foods, check near the Indian or British foods. Otherwise, it'll be near the condiments (BBQ, horseradish, etc.). The description included in the Cook's Tip of Major Grey's as a common brand is inaccurate. It's a flavor, not a brand.

Specialty food shops should also carry it.

I plan on making it it for home

sounds like a disease to me :)

I am so sorry that I can't do your show tonight, but it seems I have come down with a case of the chutney!

I'm sorry, ma'am, but we've determined that your husband has chutney. I'm afraid it's terminal.:)

Related to Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties: Shop for Chutney Tomorrow Night!

1. What are Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties?

Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties are a delicious pastry dish filled with a flavorful combination of ground beef, spices, and vegetables. They are popular in Caribbean cuisine and are often served as a snack or appetizer.

2. How do I prepare Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties?

You can prepare Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties by following the instructions on the product package. Typically, you will need to thaw the pasties, preheat your oven, and then bake them for a certain amount of time until they are golden brown and heated through.

3. Can I make Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties ahead of time?

Yes, you can make Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties ahead of time and store them in the freezer. Just be sure to follow the proper storage instructions on the package. You can also prepare the filling ahead of time and assemble the pasties right before baking.

4. What type of chutney is best to serve with Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties?

There are many types of chutney that pair well with Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties. Some popular options include mango chutney, pineapple chutney, and tamarind chutney. Choose a chutney with a sweet and tangy flavor to complement the savory pasties.

5. How should I store leftover Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties?

If you have leftover Caribbean Meat Filled Pasties, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. You can also freeze them for longer storage. Just be sure to thaw them in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• scottcooks
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
PampMomof3
  • nldavis321
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • chefheidi2003