• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Consulting Fee for Bounced Check: Seeking Advice

In summary, if you are a consultant and someone pays you with a bounced check, you can charge them a service fee.
Nicky
I have a huge question. I was wondering if as a consultant I can charge someone a serivce fee for a bounced check? It has not happened to me but my director has had it happen to her and we really think that the lady is so far in the hole with her bank account that she can not get out. I was just wondering so if anyone has any input on this it would be great.

My bank charges me $10 for a deposited check not clearing, so I pass the charge along to my customer. No one has balked at that. Most retail stores charge you $25 or more for bouncing a check.

I would like to know too!

I have an NSF check sitting here beside me...(first one in 3.5 years, thank God!) My bank charged me $10, which I for SURE will be having her pay me...but, should we/can we charge anything extra for our time and hassle?

That IS what you are asking about, too, right?

I have done it before. I had a host give me a check that bounced and I made her pay me the bounced check fee on top of the amount that she owed me. You have to recoup your losses, especially when banks charge YOUR account for someone else's bad finance problems!

I talked to my mom, who works at a bank, and she said you can pass any fees directly related to the bounced check on to the customer. ie the bank fee, the amount of the check and any postage fees for notifying the customer. She said she didn't think you could charge a personal fee.

I wish my bank only charged $10! It charges $25 for a returned check. I've only had it happen once & the person sent me a money order for the original amount plus the $25.

pamperedtraci said:
She said she didn't think you could charge a personal fee.
That's kind of what I thought, but it just irks me that I am spending time CHASING THIS LADY DOWN for a $25 check plus a $10 bank fee. She is dodging my phone calls (I think) since I have left a message every day since I got the check back in the mail on last Thursday. Really is a PITA for me! But, on the bright side :D :D :D :D , I could be out a WHOLE lot more than $35!

Ok my next question is do we have to have it posted on everything or can we just make flyer that says something like if we have a bounced check then you are resposible for paying the bank fee and the product? I am in the process of making one now by the way.

I thought make a sign that says "accepting Credit/Debit Cards, Checks*, and Cash" and then put an * saying:
*$15 fee for all returned checks

Have it displayed at the show so they know right away.

I am lucky. My bank only charges a fee if it overdraws my account. Luckily I have only had one bounced check and the girl called to let me know it was possible ahead of time and when it did bounce she bought me cash right on over the same day.

For those of you trying to collect, if you are not successful call you District Attorney's office. They will tell you the steps to go through and then if that is not successful they will prosecute to collect it for you and all the costs are taxed to the bad check writer - you do not pay a dime. Or at least that is how it works in Alabama. We have to do that at work some. You would think people would not write a lawyer a bad check!:eek: :D

I will post it when I am finished. I hope you all like it...I am kinda new at making things like this, but LOVE it...Ok here it is...please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• we gladly except.pdf
    44.7 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
once I had a check that I wasn't really comfortable with, so instead of depositing it in my account, I went to the bank that the customer had an account with to cash it. Unfortunately, this bank would NOT cash the check without charging ME :eek: a fee since I did not have an account there, and because it was more than $50 . So, I asked them if there were sufficient funds to cover it, once they said yes I took it to my bank. Granted something could've cleared her account prior to my bank processing, but atleast I felt comfortable that there was $$ in the account. In the end it all worked out!:D

I like the idea of posting a notice about return check fees!

returned checkI only had one return check in my 2 years 5 months selling PC. It was my landlady...lol :eek:

She was very helpful in paying the bounced check fees and was probably just embarrassed. I always wondered where all the rent we paid and her other renters paid her went. I guess she had more bills than I knew about. Her niece was my good friend and neighbor for over 2 years. So I got to know our landlady personally.

Usually people who are not inconsiderate and rude know there are bank fees associated with a bounced check and offer to pay those fees. Those who act "dumb" need to be told and made to pay the fees. Personal time and anguish they cause us, is unfortunately, not something we can recover! :p

Debbie :D

Nicky, just want to let you know you spelled a word wrong in your flier.

It should say "ACCEPT" instead of "except". The meanings are totally different.

Nicky said:
I will post it when I am finished. I hope you all like it...I am kinda new at making things like this, but LOVE it...Ok here it is...please let me know what you think.

Nicky said:
Ok my next question is do we have to have it posted on everything or can we just make flyer that says something like if we have a bounced check then you are resposible for paying the bank fee and the product? I am in the process of making one now by the way.

I wouldn't post this information. It happens so rarely that I'd just deal with it on those occasions. And yes, I expect people to pay for any fees I've incurred from their bad check and have had them do so in the two times (in nearly six years) this has happened to me.

jrstephens said:
I am lucky. My bank only charges a fee if it overdraws my account. Luckily I have only had one bounced check and the girl called to let me know it was possible ahead of time and when it did bounce she bought me cash right on over the same day.

For those of you trying to collect, if you are not successful call you District Attorney's office. They will tell you the steps to go through and then if that is not successful they will prosecute to collect it for you and all the costs are taxed to the bad check writer - you do not pay a dime. Or at least that is how it works in Alabama. We have to do that at work some. You would think people would not write a lawyer a bad check!:eek: :D

This is great advice since I am also in Alabama. I am also curious to know which bank you use? THis question is for everyone who has the $10 or less fee because my one bounced check from a customer cost me $25!

sailortena said:
Nicky, just want to let you know you spelled a word wrong in your flier.

It should say "ACCEPT" instead of "except". The meanings are totally different.

Sorry, I just type and spell check. I never even think about the words having different meanings. Anyways, I also sent it to my director and she wondered where I would put it and said she would change one thing about it so I changed it and I would put it in the flip top folder and go through it during the show. I am not so sure that I would ever have one, but I do not have a big show schedule and I am a stay at home mother, I DO NOT have the funds to pay for these charges. So I would pass the charges on to them.

Attachments

• we gladly accept.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 424

What is the consulting fee for a bounced check?

The consulting fee for a bounced check is typically $25, but it may vary depending on your consultant's policies.

Why do I have to pay a consulting fee for a bounced check?

The consulting fee is meant to cover any administrative costs associated with handling a bounced check, such as bank fees and time spent resolving the issue.

Can I negotiate the consulting fee for a bounced check?

Unfortunately, the consulting fee is non-negotiable as it is a standard policy for handling bounced checks.

Is the consulting fee for a bounced check refundable?

No, the consulting fee is non-refundable as it is meant to cover the costs and time spent dealing with a bounced check.

How can I avoid paying a consulting fee for a bounced check?

To avoid paying a consulting fee for a bounced check, make sure you have enough funds in your account before making a purchase. You can also set up alerts or automatic payments to avoid any potential issues with insufficient funds.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jimgass
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • KayPT
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
lesliec
  • wadesgirl