• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can a New Microwave Be Tax Deductible?

In summary, the H/O lead plans to sign up next week and plans to use her new microwave for cooking and other "regular" uses. Her accountant told her that she probably could not deduct the purchase of the microwave because it would be considered a personal expense rather than a business expense. The difference between deducting groceries and buying a microwave is that the microwave is primarily for use in the business.
smspamperedchef
Silver Member
I have a H/O lead who is going to sign up after her show next week. We were talking about Microwave recipes etc and she stated that she has been needing a new microwave as it is ancient and very tiny. If she would be using this for trying new microwave recipes in the Deep Covered Baker etc plus of course the other usual stuff, do you think she could deduct a new microwave? She didn't ask but I got to thinking about it so here I am...

I would say no because a certain percentage has to be used for business use.

I can't speak for my accountant...but I can imitate her pretty well: claiming that would probably be equivalent to calling the IRS and requesting an audit.

(I'm not saying it would be wrong, but you'd sure have to prove it was truly business related...too hard to do I think)

I am a Tax Accountant and I am going to go ahead and say No. Falls slightly under the category of "dont f**k with the IRS" that I tell people when I hear about stuff like this. As a general rule, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is :)

This reminds me of someone asking a few years ago if she could deduct her weekly manicures because she has them so her nails look nice for her shows... another consultant responded back that it would be like deducting a breast augmentation so people could read your apron better....Sorry for the slight hijack... I just think it's funny! :D

finley1991 said:
This reminds me of someone asking a few years ago if she could deduct her weekly manicures because she has them so her nails look nice for her shows... another consultant responded back that it would be like deducting a breast augmentation so people could read your apron better....Sorry for the slight hijack... I just think it's funny! :D

Oh my goodness that is too funny!!

That is hillarious!!

Hey...Do you think that would work????? Mine have went a little south for the summer.:p

I am sure a tummy tuck will help my apron lay flat after this baby....

finley1991 said:
This reminds me of someone asking a few years ago if she could deduct her weekly manicures because she has them so her nails look nice for her shows... another consultant responded back that it would be like deducting a breast augmentation so people could read your apron better....

Sorry for the slight hijack... I just think it's funny! :D
Unless you are a stripper. I read a news article about a gal who used her breast augmentation as a deduction because of her occupation. The IRS tried to audit her for it and she won!

I had my stove explode on me 2 years ago and when I got my new one, my accountant told me that I could deduct 20% of the price since I was a chef for a living. Still haven't been audited...

What's the difference in deducting your groceries? Can you really prove that they're for your shows? When it comes down to it, everyone is apt to be audited if you own your own home-based business, because you run a risk to the IRS when you turn in your taxes every year.

I have deducted a microwave and a hotplate but, I take them to my shows if I need them.

It all comes down to being able to prove the validity of your deductions when you're audited. Some deductions apply only when they are used exclusivey in support of your business; others can be taken based on a percentage of business-related use. When it comes to questionable deductions, it doesn't matter if we think they're valid, it only matters what the auditor determines.

As for groceries, they are deductable when they can be proven to be related to your business: i.e. practice a recipe, donate ingrediants to a show, pamper a business, etc. It all comes down to record keeping. I plan to claim groceries this year, but I keep annotated receipts and a dated log of recipes made. (Anal? yes; time consuming? not really; worth it? yes if it gets me thru an audit without having to pay additional taxes, plus accumulated interest and penalties.)

Just my opinions...your mileage may vary.

Related to Can a New Microwave Be Tax Deductible?

1. Is a microwave oven tax deductible for my Pampered Chef business?

Yes, a microwave oven used for your Pampered Chef business can be tax deductible. However, the deduction will depend on the percentage of business use versus personal use. It is recommended to consult with a tax professional for specific details and guidelines.

2. Can I deduct the full cost of a microwave oven on my taxes?

No, you cannot deduct the full cost of a microwave oven on your taxes. The deduction will be based on the percentage of business use and can only be claimed for the portion used for your Pampered Chef business.

3. What if I use my microwave oven for both personal and business purposes?

If you use your microwave oven for both personal and business purposes, you can only deduct the portion used for your Pampered Chef business. It is important to keep track of the usage and document it for tax purposes.

4. Can I deduct the cost of a microwave oven even if I don't use it exclusively for my Pampered Chef business?

Yes, you can still deduct the cost of a microwave oven even if you don't use it exclusively for your Pampered Chef business. As long as there is a legitimate business use, the cost can be deducted as a necessary expense.

5. Do I need to keep receipts for my microwave oven to claim a tax deduction?

Yes, it is important to keep receipts for any business expenses, including a microwave oven, in order to claim a tax deduction. These receipts will serve as proof of purchase and help determine the percentage of business use for the deduction.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
Brenda.the.chef
Replies
Views