• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Boost Your Direct Sales Success: Tips for Hosting a Successful Open House Event

In summary, Joanne hosted a holiday open house and only her good friend and other past host showed up. She mailed flyers, passed out flyers, emailed people, and called people who said they were coming but didn't show up, but still had an opportunity to tell them what was going on and ask them to place orders by the end of the week.
carissaz
I'm a relatively new consultant, just started Super Starter month 3.

I've really been hustling these past few months. Did my list o' 100, bugged all my friends to book etc. I had to move my Super Starter month 1 because I had 2 cancellations.

I had a decent September, but a not so great October. I had to pad my orders a bit just to make it to $1250. It hurt to spend the money, but I was sooo close.

So for November, I decided to host a holiday open house. My best friend is a manager at a hotel and got me a good deal on a meeting room, and also paid for coffee service as a little thank you to me for carting them when they were car-less.

Only my friend, the hotel manager (a past host) and my other good friend (also a past host) showed up. I can't beleive I had such a bad turn out. I mailed 75 invites, passed out at least 30 or so more, then sent 80 emails (given, some of them were overlaps but geesh)!

I didn't call everyone as a reminder, only my inner circle, but with a teething 6 month old who has time to make 100+ calls? Some of those I did call and said they would come didn't show.

I was so dissapointed. I baked all sorts of holiday goodies, which are now staring at me in my state of utter despondance. I put together flyers to advertise the outlet and gift sets on the website, and also great gift ides for grab bags etc. I spent so much time on this. Given I can use some of the things at future shows, but it hurts none the less.

So now I don't know what to do, do I hustle and try to drum up enough orders to make $150? Or should I just tack my 2 whole orders onto my host next week?

And what do I do in the future to improve my attendance? I'd be reluctant to host another such event. Anything I do will be at my house, and no more pre-baking. Demo baking only!

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your turn-out! I did an Open House in August as a "pre-view" and it flopped too. I cried the whole way home - I baked so much and had my poor Mom up till the wee-hours in the morning helping me! I was warned by my recruiter that Open Houses aren't really worth all the time & effort. I should have listened! I won't do one again - too much work.

Can you get in on any craft or vendor fairs in your area? What about packing up the left-overs and delivering them to different businesses in your area with the flyers you made? ;) I'd hit the bank, Post Office, Hair salons, Dentists, etc. That way the food won't go to waste and you are using your flyers.

I'm sorry - but hang in there!
Joanne

Hi there!!! Welcome to PC! There are months that this business is harder than others. And I am sorry that you didn't have the turn out that you were hoping for. I know how disappointing it is. I had a Mystery Host show a few years back, invited over 100 people and other my mom, NO ONE CAME! I was, like you, so bummed out. I had made gift bags, prize baskets, everything. I made little gift bags for EVERYONE, so that way everyone would leave with something. I made tons of food, cookies, the whole 9! So, I totally understand.I would just advise you to hang in there and keep smiling. It's hard sometimes, but it always works out and the thing about it is, the more you put in, the more you will get out of it and you just need to keep plugging away.I would call up the peopel who said that they were going to come and didn't. Tell them, "I was concerned when you didn't show up. Is everything ok? Then, you have an opening to tell them what is going on, what your specials are, what the PC specials are and then ask them to place an order by the end of the week. Then you can take it and submit it as a show.You can also email people and tell them that you havne't submitted the orders from your open house yet... and that you are giving them extra time!GOOD LUCK!!! :)

OH! And since you have goody bags made up, make sure that you include the mini holiday catalog or a mini catalog and pass them out to anyone you meet! :)

I love the suggestions so far. Many people here have mentioned the 1st open house not going well and the following year it getting better. I would contact, yes by phone, those that had said they'd make it to see if they wanted to place an order even though they had not made it, and possibly call others on the list that you did not hear back from at all.

The first few months I'm finding are really hard. I did ok the 1st month, about $200 the 2nd, and really have no clue how this month is going to go as I have a number of fundraisers at the end of the month.

Wow reading your post brings back bad memories for me.

I had an open house my first year in the business and not one person showed up. I had also made a lot of food. I even had mini cookbooks made up of the recipes I made (learned a lesson not to put a date on them!). I was dissapointed, but my family felt even worse I think. They saw how hard I had worked on it and then couldn't beleive not one person came. I sent out invitations to all of my friends and family and also passed out about 150 fliers in my neighborhood.
I think the a lot of my friends already knew about my business and some of them already attended one of my first shows and that's why they didn't come.

I don't plan on ever having another open house at this point. If I do I would make it on a week night. Or possibly give two choices one week night day and one weekend day. I've also heard the best time is when the new catalog comes out in the fall instead of during the holidays.

I worked a home demonstrators fair this past weekend which was a total flop. I wasn't as dissapointed as I would have been in the beginning. I've learned this business is up and down. You have to take the bad w/the good. It's just hard to take the bad in the beginning when you're trying so hard to get the business off the ground.

I wish you better luck in the future.

I too had an open house. I didn't take my directors advise. (Don't Make Too Much Food) Well I Did. Sat home all day and by 5pm was in Tears!!! but then the miracle happened!!! It was mostly just family but I had a housefull at 7pm!!! My sales only made the 200 mark to keep me as a consultant however I did get a couple of bookings. will post the pictures once I find them.

I tried an open house/ice cream social in June...you guessed it...total flop. At least there was plenty of ice cream to drown my sorrows!

I tried to have an Open House in October....noone came to it either. So I just got on the phone and booked shows that way, and ate my goodies. Had to make the best of it.

Kris

I have heard that...to have an annual event, it gets better every year, because people start talking about it and all. I think people kind of like to come to your house because they want to see where the PC lady lives! I'd LOVE to do a holiday hostess appreciation, but Bry hates to have people over. He says one party a year, and I did a HWC open house in May...any ideas how to butter him up?

I feel your pain! I had an open house that flopped last year. Besides my family, only one other person came--a past host. My cousin did book a catalog show from it, so that was good. I was so disappointed. I had my recruiter come to do orders so I could mingle. No need! Then I helped at her open house & she got several bookings & a recruit! So I figured that it was probably because it was my 4th month in the biz. This year, I'm doing a mystery host event on a weeknight. I'll see how that goes. I told my family not to come this year--they all just had shows this month or last & I don't want them to feel like they have to always help me out! I'm going to invite guests that bought alot last year & all my past hosts-this year & last, any potential hosts, etc. I'm hoping to at least have 8-10 people come (out of about 200 invited!).

carissaz said:
I'm a relatively new consultant, just started Super Starter month 3.

I've really been hustling these past few months. Did my list o' 100, bugged all my friends to book etc. I had to move my Super Starter month 1 because I had 2 cancellations.

I had a decent September, but a not so great October. I had to pad my orders a bit just to make it to $1250. It hurt to spend the money, but I was sooo close.

So for November, I decided to host a holiday open house. My best friend is a manager at a hotel and got me a good deal on a meeting room, and also paid for coffee service as a little thank you to me for carting them when they were car-less.

Only my friend, the hotel manager (a past host) and my other good friend (also a past host) showed up. I can't beleive I had such a bad turn out. I mailed 75 invites, passed out at least 30 or so more, then sent 80 emails (given, some of them were overlaps but geesh)!

I didn't call everyone as a reminder, only my inner circle, but with a teething 6 month old who has time to make 100+ calls? Some of those I did call and said they would come didn't show.

I was so dissapointed. I baked all sorts of holiday goodies, which are now staring at me in my state of utter despondance. I put together flyers to advertise the outlet and gift sets on the website, and also great gift ides for grab bags etc. I spent so much time on this. Given I can use some of the things at future shows, but it hurts none the less.

So now I don't know what to do, do I hustle and try to drum up enough orders to make $150? Or should I just tack my 2 whole orders onto my host next week?

And what do I do in the future to improve my attendance? I'd be reluctant to host another such event. Anything I do will be at my house, and no more pre-baking. Demo baking only!

I know getting those SS products are great and all but it took me forever to qualify (under old system--6 shows) My SS month 1 was in May and it took me 'til the beginning of Sept to qualify. I understand how grrrrrrrrr it can be, just keep your head up and set goals and you'll be ok. Just remember as long as you are doing shows you're active. And there are always other incentives to push for, I so wanted that USG :( . As for the open house, I have not done one because I fear what you all have gone through. I have done Mystery Host shows and had no luck though.

I just did an open house w/ the woman the recruited me. However, we did it at a local nursing home. I think this helped b/c we didn't advertise very well at all. But, residents, nurses, cooks, and family members stoped by. Plus, we didn't make a ton of food. So maybe sometimes finding a unique location that will have people around no matter what? THat way if it does start to become boring you can make some of those people stop by to at least help eat some food. I enjoyed myself b/c the residents were so happy to have us around. Plus my mom had my 17 month old son and they ate him up. I have enough to submitt a show, but I had to get some outside orders, oh well. Like everyone else, it was a lesson learned.

I too tried an open house in my first few months and it failed miserably. I had one friend show up for a beer and that was it! He didn't even look at my display.

The only thing I didn't do was make food....it was to be the men in the neighbourhood coming so my hubby just got some beer in. I had planned to have sort of a "men's Christmas shopping show" and was going to demo the food chopper and the likes but not actually make anything.

So at the end of the day the beer just got used up over the holidays when we had friends round etc. I did feel very upset though as I'd put a lot of work into my display.

It looks like I need to do a home show again this year in order to get the
sell-a-thon but I think I'll invite the women this time!

Ok so I am getting the point that an Open House isn't such a great idea.

I do 2 a year with each new product sesason. Oct. 1 open house hit over $1,000. You have to build them just like you built your business. If you do a show and don't get bookings do you think well, I'm not doing another show again for her. Hopefully, not. It is very important to have guests bring a friend. I do cash & carry & take orders with pretty much equal sales.
Don't give up because of 1 bad experience. To me they are so easy I do tons of food (not necessarily PC recipes) but things that assemble quickly are ok sitting out for awhile and I never do a demo.
Teresa

I agree with Teresa. Especially early in your business, an open house may not be as good of an idea because you don't have a large customer base. Once you've been in it a year or so, you have lots of customers & past hosts that might not have been to a show in a year & wouldn't mind coming. I did the open house thing last year, but I don't think I'm going to try it this year. Open houses don't seem to go over so great in my area for any business. So I'm going to try a mystery host show instead. Sales would be nice, but I really want bookings & recruit leads, so I hope that they'll get excited during the show & do just that!

I keep plugging away at the Open House because of results like Teresa's, but in my 3 years I haven't had success with my Open Houses. I have done only one day, 2 different days, with other vendors, host appreciation, new catalog. You name it I've tried it and with NO success. I just had one in my new neighborhood and over 2 days only 3 people came. It was my most successful Open House to date!

I told my husband that I wanted to try a Christmas Open House and he screwed his face all up and yelled, "You better not!" He is the most supportive PC husband I know of, yet he doesn't want to go down that road again. It is tough to keep a house clean (with 4 mindless kiddos running around) for 2 days and make all the food and basically be ON all the time.

I want to try again, though because of examples like Teresa's. I keep dreaming that my day will come!

I've had two open houses myself, and I started in July. My first was in August, and I had 5 people show? Which I was thrilled, because, as everyone says, it's hard without a customer base.

Then I just had one last week. However, I didn't call it an open house. I called it a Holiday Customer Appreciation Recipe Tasting Event. (Got that tip from one of Patsy McGovern's meeting, also passed it along to my director who loved it). And I sent an invitation to all of my customers (not a big base yet, but hey, I'm getting there). I did a mystery host as well. I had 5 people show and also had 2 outside orders. Again, not huge, but it's ok, I'm getting there.

Both were a bit over 300 as far as sales, but you know what, I'm thankful for that.

I'm learning that you will have ups and downs, but you keep plugging away. I earned month 1 and 3 of my SS (Yet the one I realllllly wanted was month 2! Go figure!!).

This month is slow for me, but I have a craft fair tomorrow and I'm keeping my fingers crossed tightly.

The biggest thing for me so far in the beginning, is I don't put a ton of money out, nor time with the food. I chose simple recipes (apple dessert duo from last fall, pull apart bread, and the harvest chicken salad, beer bread and dip) and just let it happen.

Good luck.

I had an open house today. I cooked and cooked. People came over and I got about $80 in sales. Not bad, considering there was a lady up the street from me having a vendor event at her house on the same day.

LOL I can see her house from mine and I was "spying" at her area and didn't really see any cars there. In reality I emailed out at least 150 invites and 6 people came. It's the start of hunting season this weekend, so I am told.

Pamper a businesssince you have all that leftover food, package it up and take it to various businesses, like your dentist, hairdresser, etc. Drop off some catalogs and say thought you would enjoy some PC food, if anyone is interested in placing an order for Christmas I'll call back in a week!

I don't like giving leftovers out like that. It's like it's second hand or something. Nah, my family is going to eat the leftover food.

How do they know they are leftovers if they are in single serve portions? Try it, they might like it!

Haha, my husband would ask where it went since we spent the money on the groceries. I always practice my recipes before a show so that I know what I'm doing and I don't have to hear him whine about what everyone at my show is getting to eat. (He loves food)

I just got the most wonderful advice.... when you have an open house, do NOT call it an Open House! People think it doesn't matter if they show up or not, it's all so casual. Instead, always have a start and end time, and rsvp. If you want to be "open" all day, why not have one party the night before, one the next morning. Or one from 11-1pm, and a second party 2-4pm?

Or host your own cookie party. Give a ticket (for drawing) for those that rsvp or place an order before the event.

I'm thinking...

I have always held an open house 3 times a year....at the beginning of each new season and a holiday one. My lowest one was still a $400 show BEFORE the host ordered! I have had multiple $1000 Open Houses! Now just so you know I did move from overseas last year to Virginia. The only new season where I didn't do the Open Houses was F/W of 05 but I did do an online show with my Customer Base.
Open Houses can be worth your time.......I make sure to have an open door policy, I never demo anything, have just a few of the new recipes, and I do LOTS of giveaways! I try to give away something every half hour and my open house usually run from 5-9. I start my giveaways at 5:30 and the last is at 8:30. I draw the Mystery host at 9. I usually give away items that I have earned in the Sell-A-Thon but I have given away just about any and everything! LOL!!!
My point is that they can work......although sometimes they just don't!

HTH!!

Oh yeah...I call it a Stop & Shop!!
LOL

1. How can I attract more people to my open house event?

To attract more people to your open house event, you can utilize social media, word of mouth, and targeted invitations. Create a Facebook event and invite your friends, family, and potential customers. You can also post about your event on other social media platforms and use hashtags to reach a larger audience. Additionally, consider sending invitations to past customers and offering incentives for them to bring a friend.

2. What are some tips for setting up a visually appealing display at my open house event?

To create an attractive display, use props and decorations to make your products stand out. Consider using colorful tablecloths, themed decorations, and creative product displays. You can also incorporate food samples or recipe cards to add an interactive element to your display.

3. How should I handle sales and transactions at my open house event?

Make sure to have a designated area for transactions, such as a table or folding tray. Have plenty of order forms and pens available for customers to fill out their purchases. Offer multiple payment options, such as cash, credit card, or online payment, to accommodate different preferences. It may also be helpful to have a calculator on hand to easily calculate totals for customers.

4. What types of products should I feature at my open house event?

When selecting products to feature at your open house event, consider which items are popular and have a broad appeal. It's also a good idea to showcase a range of products, such as kitchen tools, cookware, and food items, to appeal to different interests and needs. Additionally, consider offering exclusive or limited edition products to create a sense of urgency and excitement.

5. How can I make my open house event more engaging and interactive for attendees?

To make your open house event more engaging and interactive, consider incorporating demonstrations, games, and prizes. You can demonstrate how to use certain products or offer cooking tips and tricks. Games such as product bingo or a scavenger hunt can also encourage attendees to interact with your products and learn more about them. Prizes, such as raffles or giveaways, can also add a fun element to your event and incentivize attendees to make purchases.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jbondr
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
jbondr
Replies
Views
baychef
  • AnnieBee
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies