• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Belly Cast to Preserve Pregnancy Memories?

In summary, Jennifer thinks the do-it-yourself pregnancy belly cast kit is crazy and would never do it. She thinks it's cute but thinks it would be too big and that people would see too much of her naked body. She likes maternity portraits done fully clothed but would rather have them done sooner. She doesn't think there is any need for post-birth pictures or video and would rather not have them preserved. She agrees that some pictures are cute and that post-birth pictures can be used for weight gain and to remind DH of what he had to go through to be with his children.
Jennifer,
I would never do this either. I think its crazy, where do people store these things?

I don't know, it could be cute, but come on, do you really think it would turn out so smooth and perfect? LOL
What I never really understood is the need to get professionally done naked pregnant photos. For me, fully clothed were bad enough! I really don't want to see myself big, pregnant and naked after having the baby! Not to mention, do you just hand them in the living room for all of your guests to see? LOL
That's just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone who has or likes these types of pictures.

I thought it was neat when I saw it done on TV. If I had a cute PG belly I may have done it.

I have a bellycast kit at home. NOT my idea, but I suppose that's just how much I love DH. :blushing: I keep forgetting about it, probably because I'm not all too interested in having this shape preserved. If I keep forgetting about it for another 5 weeks, it'll be too late ;)

We had maternity portraits done (fully dressed), and I wasn't too happy with how huge I looked, although they came out ok. The studio insisted the pictures come out best if I'm in my 8th month, so there's enough belly, but I think I would have rather had them done 4-5 weeks sooner. I would have had plenty of belly, but I wouldn't have been as swollen. We ordered a framed composition of shots and plan to hang it in our bedroom. We also ordered a small desk sized one because my MIL has been hounding me for "belly pictures."

One thing I certainly WILL NOT have, are any pictures or video of the birth. There is absolutely no need for any of that to be preserved. :yuck:

I do not even like pics of myself. Only have a few at showers. And NO side or belly shots! That is my personal preference - just not something I like to show.

I just couldn't do this! wow!

Oh, yeah, that's just what your kid wants to find when he's cleaning out your estate someday.
rolleye0001.gif

I'm not going to have children for quite some time but I know I would like pregnant pictures. I'd put them in the master bathroom, I think. I just think if they're done tastefully, they're really beautiful.

I've heard of the belly cast before but what do you do with it afterwards?! That's the kind of thing that is just too big and annoying. I've seen pregnancy pictures before and I really like them. My sister had them done with their son that they lost. They weren't for sure if he would survive after birth because of the birth defects. So they had some very classy, elegant belly pictures taken. She was holding his blanket over herself so you couldn't see anything. They also had pictures of the other kids and her husband touching her belly. It was a very nice thing especially during a very hard time. And touching, since they weren't going to have very many pictures of the baby as normal families do as they grow up.

Some people look really cute pregnant and good in pictures - Gillian's were a good example.Personally, I don't like pictures of me much less pregnant, and with DS I was as big as a house - gained 54 lbs. on a prepregnancy weight of 108! Besides, I wouldn't want my son staring at Mom's chest on the wall every night, as cute and flowery or manly as you can make it...it just isn't right to me.

Oh, and the only post-pregnancy use I can think of is put weight in it and ties on it and make DH wear it around as a reminder of what you had to do for 9 months!

janetupnorth said:
Oh, and the only post-pregnancy use I can think of is put weight in it and ties on it and make DH wear it around as a reminder of what you had to do for 9 months!
Love, love, love that idea!!!!! I find myself reminding my DH often of what I had to go through to bear his children! LOL

chefshawna said:
Love, love, love that idea!!!!! I find myself reminding my DH often of what I had to go through to bear his children! LOL

You need to give him something to make him throw-up ALL THE TIME too!!! :eek:

As someone who is considering starting a family in the near future, this would scare the daylights out of me! :yuck: If someone asked me to put my belly in a cast I'm pretty sure I would run away screaming like a little girl!!!

I definitely recommend getting SOME photos of yourself pregnant. I had the occasional candid shot taken early on, nothing dramatic. Then I was on bed rest the last 11 weeks, and it really wasn't something I felt like doing, but six days before my kids were born my DH and I had our portrait done together. I was definitely only going to do it with clothes ON, because that's what I was comfortable with (no one needed to see anything more than that!), and the nice thing is that I have photos to put in the kids' scrapbooks. My mom had one photo taken of her when she was pregnant with me, it was nice...but she only had the one copy, so I don't have one for myself. I didn't frame the photos of us, just put them in the scrapbook. Good memories though!!!

I went for a 3D ultrasound and they had some of these on the walls - it is another service they provide - very strange to see on the wall of a business! I don't know what you would ever do with it! I do have pregnancy pictures, fully clothed. I think it is important to have them to look back on and to show your children that this is where they were. I'm not in love with all of them (my sister did them) but there are a few that I liked. I think its important to document the journey. I take pregnancy pictures of all of my friends when they are about 8 months pregnant, they may not like it at the time but they are glad they have them later on.

I like the pictures, but I agree about "what would I do with a belly cast afterwards!" sentiment. That isn't my thing. I wouldn't do the professional pictures though - I don't even have studio pictures of my two year old! Janet, my sister is in your shoes. She was barely over 100lbs when she got pregnant and now she has put on over 50lbs. Her inlaw's, who she lives with, all comment on her size! She is getting really peeved with them. Particularly since it is fairly obvious it is mostly baby. She's 37 weeks now. Mom was apparently the same with me (but I came 3 weeks early and was 8lbs - the largest baby in the premie nursery).

One of my girlfriends wanted me to do this when I was pregnant - no way!

I have to say I was the pregnant girl everyone hated. I was so peppy throughout the entire pregnancy. I have belly pictures and just love them. I looked for the casting kit but couldn't find one. I don't know what I would have done with it once it was finished.

ZippyKitty said:
Her inlaw's, who she lives with, all comment on her size! She is getting really peeved with them. Particularly since it is fairly obvious it is mostly baby.

It amazes me how people LOVE to comment on your weight! I have gained 27pounds - perfectly normal but people LOVE to make comments about me gaining weight. I know it is b/c I am have always been small but it GETS OLD PEOPLE!! HA!

I think it bothers me the 2nd time more than it did the first time! Either that or I am in a worse mood! I KNOW I have been the last two days - I could just go off on my husband so bad! But I have withheld so far, haha!!! But tonight .........................we will see.....hahah!

ZippyKitty said:
I like the pictures, but I agree about "what would I do with a belly cast afterwards!" sentiment. That isn't my thing. I wouldn't do the professional pictures though - I don't even have studio pictures of my two year old! Janet, my sister is in your shoes. She was barely over 100lbs when she got pregnant and now she has put on over 50lbs. Her inlaw's, who she lives with, all comment on her size! She is getting really peeved with them. Particularly since it is fairly obvious it is mostly baby. She's 37 weeks now. Mom was apparently the same with me (but I came 3 weeks early and was 8lbs - the largest baby in the premie nursery).
DS was 9 lbs. 6 oz. I dropped down to about 135 and was stuck there for about 2 years, then dropped to 120-125. I am now stuck there. I am resigned to the fact that I may never see 110-115 again and look pretty skinny and healthy with the 120 or so, but I still have a little baby gut I'd like to get rid of.I hope the in-laws cut it out! Two days after I had #1 - she was 6 lbs. 10 oz. and after 4-5 full IV bags of fluid the day I gave birth and TONS of water retention, I was at camp with my mother, SIL and MIL and others. My mom looked over me and said, "Wow you still look fat. When I had you, I was back to 105 the next day." I thought my SIL was going to deck my mother (SIL is a nurse). I had to politely explain to my mom with the pitocin and all the fluids pumped into me over 24 hours that wasn't going to magically happen in 48 hours after giving birth. Granted, I was already back down to about 120, just not to 110! My mom still argues to this day that she IMMEDIATELY lost all the weight...we'll let her believe it since you cannot change her mind. :rolleyes: Tell your sister that their comments reflect their own ignorance, each person is different and a healthy baby is what matters.Oh, and also I had gestational diabetes which contributes to the weight fluctuation. I was VERY controlled with #1. :)

My brother asked me after my first one "when's the one left in there coming out?" I could HAVE killed him!!! This coming from a man with 5 kids! Of course, he knew how to get to me!

I was 125 when we got married and would love to get back to that. I go back in the 130s after Luke but never could get out of the 30s. I hit 129 for about a minute! HA!

The funny thing about my sister's in-laws is that they are all quite overweight. Really really so. So when one came in (and when I say she lives with her in-laws I mean she shares a house with MIL and all the rest of the family live in this one cul-de-sac - she lives with ALL her in-laws) and asked what it was like to be fat. Sister bit her tongue but really want to say "I don't know - how does it feel?" I'm surprised she bit her tongue. It isn't like her. :) I can't believe they are like that either. I don't know what possesses some people. ZK

I think it's lame. What they heck do you do after it-hang it over your fireplace? No thanks!

SilverCeladon said:
I think it's lame. What they heck do you do after it-hang it over your fireplace? No thanks!

You could put it on a stand, perhaps a metal base with a metal support system. It could be a "fine" piece of art prominently displayed in your foyer or sitting room.
For some I am sure it is but I giggle at the thought of it......LOL!

ZippyKitty said:
I'm surprised she bit her tongue. It isn't like her. :)

ZK

Oh goodness! That's when I would have bit my tongue off to hold back from saying "Well, now I know how u feel!"

well, having lived in a large body all my life, if I had a cute PG tummy I would document it any way I could. I sooooo wish I was stuck at 120! I only gained 23lbs with DD. and was to pre preg weight within 2 weeks. I lost weight easily. After DS that was a different story.

I definately believe you should take pictures when your pregnant, but for me the naked ones just weren't the way to go. I do however have plenty of non-naked ones! LOL I even made my husband take pictures of my knees when I fell down our outside steps and skinned them all up when I was 7 months pregnant with my DS. I figured it would be a good scrapbook picture!

erinyourpclady said:
You could put it on a stand, perhaps a metal base with a metal support system. It could be a "fine" piece of art prominently displayed in your foyer or sitting room.
For some I am sure it is but I giggle at the thought of it......LOL!

Well now, I think this sounds like something that Dannyzmom's inlaws would just love!:D It would fit in great with the penis gourd!

I wouldn't do the belly cast...who needs to see THAT!?! (No offense intended) But I do have belly pictures of both pregnancies...clothes on, shirt lifted & tucked so nothing obscene shows. I thought the boys might like to see "when they were growing in Mommy's belly" some day & with the 2nd pregnancy, it worked great to show my oldest what my belly looked like while I carried him. ;)

chefshawna said:
Well now, I think this sounds like something that Dannyzmom's inlaws would just love!:D It would fit in great with the penis gourd!

Too funny, I was thinking the EXACT same thing earlier but got busy and never posted it. :D

I've seen pics of the casts all done up (painted nicely) to put in the nursery and some were really cute!

My fear with a belly cast is that if I'd have done it 18 years ago with my first child that I might be able to hold it up to my stomach today and THEY'D MATCH!!! :eek: I was pretty tiny before having my daughter and only gained about 25 pounds. Today I weigh exactly what I weighed when I walked in to the hospital :eek: The weight has distributed itself around various parts of my body (just in case someone is thinking that I still look 9 months prego :D ) but it's still depressing to think about.So....I won't think about it and go wash my ice cream bowl <<ha ha>>

I think the belly casts are a little strange, but I like the idea of taking pregnancy pictures. It reminds me of the one Gillian posted way back... I'm sure it's floating around CS somewhere still.

I wouldn't do the belly cast, but I always have said that one of my biggest regrets is not having professional pregnancy pics done. If there was anything I'd do over, that would be it. I'm not having any more kids, so I lost my chance...oh well..

I only gained 14 lbs when I was pregnant, was back at my prepregnancy weight by my 6 week check, but after 4 yrs of being a stay at home mom I think I'm up there to the weight I was at when I was ready to give birth! Not good! Even when I lost all my weight, I never fit back into my clothes, everything on my body shifted! (I still have the clothes though!- LOL) Maybe someday I'll be rich enough to get some lipo and a tummy tuck!

I went for my one week check up after my c-section with Christopher. The nurse said to me... "DO you still have your staples?" I told her I didn't think I had any but if they were put in there I certainly didn't take them out! She says "Well you should be able to see them!" I told her that I think the docror forgot the tummy tuck part of the operation!:rolleyes:
I wouldn't do the cast either, what do you do with it later? In the nursey might be cute for about a week! When your chid gets older it wouldn't really work in there. I think they are good for doctors offices or maternity wings.
Nice, flattering, preg. pics would have been nice, especially with the girls in them. Oh well! To late now!

GeorgiaPeach said:
My fear with a belly cast is that if I'd have done it 18 years ago with my first child that I might be able to hold it up to my stomach today and THEY'D MATCH!!! :eek:

I was pretty tiny before having my daughter and only gained about 25 pounds. Today I weigh exactly what I weighed when I walked in to the hospital :eek: The weight has distributed itself around various parts of my body (just in case someone is thinking that I still look 9 months prego :D ) but it's still depressing to think about.

So....I won't think about it and go wash my ice cream bowl <<ha ha>>
I have met you and you are a tiny person! If you weigh now what you weighed at 9 mo preg. then you were a very teeny tiny pregnant lady!

jrstephens said:
Either that or I am in a worse mood! I KNOW I have been the last two days - I could just go off on my husband so bad! But I have withheld so far, haha!!! But tonight .........................we will see.....hahah!

Must be a hormone thing... I'm due Friday (and if I remember right you are pretty close too) and I have hardly been able to stand my husband the past 2 weeks! Yesterday was a little better but... geez... I wanted to kick him out! (and really he hasn't done anything that bad - everything just irritates me!)

hperschnick said:
Must be a hormone thing... I'm due Friday (and if I remember right you are pretty close too) and I have hardly been able to stand my husband the past 2 weeks! Yesterday was a little better but... geez... I wanted to kick him out! (and really he hasn't done anything that bad - everything just irritates me!)

HA! I have until May 15th (hopefully sooner).

I ended up telling mine last night has had made me mad and needed to do better! HAHA!!! I had enough, haha!!!! It was either tell him or shoot him!!!!

Did help my mom kind of made me mad at the ame time, so, he was getting both took out on him!!! He was very nice about it and apologized and now I MAY let him live, ha!!!

Are u being induced Friday? Or have the dr's set a date for that yet? Good luck!!!

hperschnick said:

Then my hormones must be really out of whack! I'm not even pregnant and I want to kick DH out much of the time!

katie0128 said:
Then my hormones must be really out of whack! I'm not even pregnant and I want to kick DH out much of the time!

It gets worse, ha!:D

jrstephens said:
It gets worse, ha!:D

Yeah, I know... I have three kids. I think my hormones decided they liked being out of whack and even after the last kiddo, just stayed that way.

katie0128 said:
Yeah, I know... I have three kids. I think my hormones decided they liked being out of whack and even after the last kiddo, just stayed that way.

HAHA!!! My husband had a friend who had a "witch" for a wife, after their first child she turned nice, the next child turned her back into a "witch" and the third one kept her there, HAHA!!!!

jrstephens said:
HA! I have until May 15th (hopefully sooner).
Are u being induced Friday? Or have the dr's set a date for that yet? Good luck!!!

I had a c-section with my first so I have to have another this time. I want to wait and go into labor then go in. Too many babies I know were scheduled and ended up in the NICU because they weren't ready. Just scares the crap out of me! My first was 10 days late and so far my Dr. isn't pushing me to set a date but I told him the first day we met I wanted to wait until the baby decided it was "done". He checked me yesterday and nothing is going on down there so it could be another week or two. I'm fine with that - I love being pregnant (except for the hating my husband part!! hahahaha).

hperschnick said:
I had a c-section with my first so I have to have another this time. I want to wait and go into labor then go in. Too many babies I know were scheduled and ended up in the NICU because they weren't ready. Just scares the crap out of me! My first was 10 days late and so far my Dr. isn't pushing me to set a date but I told him the first day we met I wanted to wait until the baby decided it was "done". He checked me yesterday and nothing is going on down there so it could be another week or two. I'm fine with that - I love being pregnant (except for the hating my husband part!! hahahaha).

I have thinned 70% but no dilating. I went 4 days early with my first one.

My SIL had her baby last week - she ws two weeks past due and the induced. I think they missed her due date personally!

I think that the national average is that due dates are off by about a week or so for most women. After all, due dates - like most medicine - are just a guess... maybe a very educated and well thought out guess, but a guess just the same. And since MD's have to rely on the memory of their patients, the "medical" guess is a bit less reliable!

My Dr last time was convinced that my due date was set in stone. We fought the morning I went into labor because she wanted to induce and I told her the baby knew when it was done cooking. It was not pretty. I changed Drs this time and we discussed it in detail. Schedling would be more convenient but all 3 of my sisters girls were in the NICU and it is so hard to see them in there. I can be patient and let nature take it's course! We don't even know what we are having either! We are completely winging it but it's fun!

Two of my three were inductions (one medically necessary and one scheduled). But my OB's won't even think about a scheduled induction until you are 39+ weeks and they feel the baby will be o.k.

I prefer to go "naturally when God is finished" too but my doctor likes to schedule a date right at the end since I live 90 miles from the hospital. Mine chooses a date right on the due date, if possible I prayed with my first one that if God did not want me to be induced (and am this time too) that He would take care of it. He did, I went 4 days early.

My SIL was giving 2 different due dates and then was induced to week AFTER the last date. She had 3 miscarriages before she ws able to carry and I think that had something to do with her date being wrong. The ultrasounds were even off on the date and were off on the final wieght too. I know though, that dr's cannot tell it all for certain- her dr was different with everything though, HA!!

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is a pregnancy belly cast?</h2><p>A pregnancy belly cast is a 3D replica of your pregnant belly, created by applying strips of plaster or other material to your belly and allowing it to harden. This creates a lasting memento of your pregnancy that you can decorate and display.</p><h2>2. How do I make a pregnancy belly cast?</h2><p>Our Easy Do-it-Yourself Pregnancy Belly Cast Kit includes all the materials and instructions you need to make a belly cast at home. Simply mix the plaster, apply it to your belly, and allow it to dry. Then, remove the cast and decorate it as desired.</p><h2>3. How long does it take to make a pregnancy belly cast?</h2><p>The process of making a belly cast typically takes about 30 minutes, not including the drying time. The cast will need to dry for at least 24 hours before it can be removed and decorated.</p><h2>4. Can I do a pregnancy belly cast by myself, or do I need help?</h2><p>While it is possible to make a belly cast by yourself, it may be easier and more comfortable to have someone help you. This will also ensure that the cast is applied evenly and smoothly.</p><h2>5. What materials can I use to decorate my pregnancy belly cast?</h2><p>You can use a variety of materials to decorate your belly cast, such as paint, glitter, fabric, or even photos. The possibilities are endless, so get creative and make your belly cast truly unique to your pregnancy journey.</p>

Related to Belly Cast to Preserve Pregnancy Memories?

1. What is a pregnancy belly cast?

A pregnancy belly cast is a 3D replica of your pregnant belly, created by applying strips of plaster or other material to your belly and allowing it to harden. This creates a lasting memento of your pregnancy that you can decorate and display.

2. How do I make a pregnancy belly cast?

Our Easy Do-it-Yourself Pregnancy Belly Cast Kit includes all the materials and instructions you need to make a belly cast at home. Simply mix the plaster, apply it to your belly, and allow it to dry. Then, remove the cast and decorate it as desired.

3. How long does it take to make a pregnancy belly cast?

The process of making a belly cast typically takes about 30 minutes, not including the drying time. The cast will need to dry for at least 24 hours before it can be removed and decorated.

4. Can I do a pregnancy belly cast by myself, or do I need help?

While it is possible to make a belly cast by yourself, it may be easier and more comfortable to have someone help you. This will also ensure that the cast is applied evenly and smoothly.

5. What materials can I use to decorate my pregnancy belly cast?

You can use a variety of materials to decorate your belly cast, such as paint, glitter, fabric, or even photos. The possibilities are endless, so get creative and make your belly cast truly unique to your pregnancy journey.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebbieSAChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
heather223
Replies
Views
katie0128
  • emiscookin
  • General Chat
Replies