• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

Thanks! Your cakes are fantastic! I am just the worlds greatest copy-cat....I cannot come up with this stuff on my own but I can copy most anyhting! (the elmo was from a wilton pan ;) )I can send you the instructions for them if you want.
I don't like to put things in my jello, but mixing the flavors is the best. I love to mix 2 Raspberry, 1 Lemon, & 1 Cranberry. Use half water and half vodka and they're a hit. peach and orange are also well liked - think Fuzzy Navel. They are also good virgin. My other fav. is 2 berry blue, 1 grape, and 1 raspberry or watermelon. The flavor is much more intense. I have tried using juice instead of water, as suggested on the box, but it doesn't seem to change the flavor and just adds calories.

The most important part of your recipe is NO MIRACLE WHIP!!
67302.gif

LOL again...

"And as you can see, you can make very pretty jello shots using your silicone floral pan or mini-muffin pan. Just don't forget to use a small SA for the miracle whip to accompany it..." :yuck: :D

The second most important thing in gelatin is NOTHING CRUNCHY! Yuk!! My mom would make the lime with shredded carrots, chopped celery and cottage cheese in it. Bleah. :yuck: DH has a rule that only fruit, whipped cream and melted ice cream belong in gelatin.

chefann said:
The second most important thing in gelatin is NOTHING CRUNCHY! Yuk!! My mom would make the lime with shredded carrots, chopped celery and cottage cheese in it. Bleah. :yuck: DH has a rule that only fruit, whipped cream and melted ice cream belong in gelatin.

I'm not a big jello fan - but every year for Thanksgiving/Christmas, my grandma always made a jello dish that was made with vanilla ice cream mixed in - I love it to this day!

Now DH's family, on the other hand.....for family meals, I always bring a veggie, and usually also a salad, because if someone else is assigned to those 2, invariably there is jello included. I always think to myself "since when did jello become a salad?" It's a dessert, people!

It was considered salad at my house. I always feel short-changed when someone serves it as dessert. But my favorite Jello reference is from Animaniacs. In their take on "A Christmas Carol" Ralph the guard is the Bob Cratchett equivalent. And his Christmas dinner isn't turkey, but "delicious turkey Jell-o." It's DH's and my standard line whenever anyone mentions Jello.

excuse me....this is a cake thread....go start your own! LOL

a thread with jello in the title is bound to be popular! LMAO

threadjacked.gif
Another thread successfully shot to hell!

Shall I start a new more appropriate thread for you?

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
threadjacked.gif

Another thread successfully shot to hell!

Um, no...that should read: shot to jell.

pamperedlinda said:
Shall I start a new more appropriate thread for you?
We had one.

Greg shut it down.

duh.gif

How quicky I forget......Should we keep Greg on his toes and see how long it takes to shut the next one down? We could take bets......

I think he stays out of the lounge unless someone complains.Can't you just see him?
banghead.gif

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I think he stays out of the lounge unless someone complains.

Can't you just see him?
banghead.gif

I think you are correct! ...and the smiley is SOOOO appropriate!

dannyzmom said:
Tomorrow is my son's birthday party so today I baked and decorated cakes for the party...my hand is SO sore...
DannysBday2007002.jpg

DannysBday2007003.jpg

DannysBday2007004.jpg

DannysBday2007001.jpg

Sorry the pictures are huge - I can't figure out how to make them smaller...

Did you use the EAD for those???? Or the decorator bottles? Wow Caroline, I am soooo impressed! What cuties!

So here are a couple of pictures of my littlest DD's birthday cake (She's 1 today - my baby is growing up...)

This is my first attempt at fondant (I've been wanting to try it since I saw Kelly's post about the marshmallow fondant), and it was pretty awful!! The chocolate fondant was not very "stretchy" and cracked when I laid it on cake. I had to patch it up ALOT. The low-res pictures look way better than the real thing!! But I thought it looked pretty cute from far back though :) .

And the cake was really yummy - a recipe I tried for the first time. Chloe certainly enjoyed it :)

IMG_3128-1-1.jpg

IMG_3130-1.jpg

And I bet there isn't one drop of Miracle Whip in there.

I should have known there would be a MW comment from you :)!

But you're right, no MW, but no mayo either... Just some marshmallows (not fluff or creme...).

That was just to annoy Linda.Now if we can just get Susan to delete those huge photos from her quote, we'll be all set! ;)

KG, I was about to send you back over to the "other" thread!! You're so naughty, stirring up trouble :D LOL!

I'm not sure you should be allowed to post in this thread unless you bake a cake and show us a picture :) (or at least sing happy birthday to my DD :sing: )

poke.gif
I can't carry a tune in a bushel basket.

LOL! I guess you need to brush up on your cake decorating skills then :)

10.gif
I'll just keep stiring up trouble around here, thanks.

Here are pictures of the Transformers cake that I made last week for my DS 4th birthday. I think they turned out pretty good. I did an Optimus Prime cake and the All Spark out of cookies and cake. I was going to do a Bumble Bee cake, too, but decided I already had enough cake for the party.

I used the new green lettuce knife for a lot of the cake trimming/shaping and I wrapped wax paper around the apple correr and covered it royal icing to make the barrel things on the bottom by the steps/doors.

DSC_3918.jpg

DSC_3927.jpg

DSC_4020.jpg

Last edited:
wow, those are cool! I made bananna chochip muffins today!

Ann

that is so nice. Cant let my son see it. I made Optimus Prime but it was his face instead of the truck. Couldnt figure out for the life of me how to make the truck.

So, if any of you have bought the fancy cake pans that are like your kids favorite characters, what do you do after the party? I was talking with a friend about a theme for the twins' birthday this summer, and we were thinking Backyardigans would be fun. But all I can think of to do for the cake is a character cake, for which I would have to buy a special pan. And I am just wondering if there is anything I can do with it after the party? And ideas?

It was a lot of carving, stacking, glueing with frosting, and royal icing for the gray, stiff pieces.

One of my friends has sold a bunch of her old cake bans on E-bay. She doesn't make the full amount back, but makes more than she would at a rummage sale.

jbachen said:
So, if any of you have bought the fancy cake pans that are like your kids favorite characters, what do you do after the party? I was talking with a friend about a theme for the twins' birthday this summer, and we were thinking Backyardigans would be fun. But all I can think of to do for the cake is a character cake, for which I would have to buy a special pan. And I am just wondering if there is anything I can do with it after the party? And ideas?
I've bought and sold lots of character pans on ebay. Usually sell them for what I paid too (sometimes more).

Holy moley - that's awesome!

Hm, maybe I will try to get the pans cheap on Ebay... I have time to wait for a deal. Thanks for the idea!

jbachen said:
Hm, maybe I will try to get the pans cheap on Ebay... I have time to wait for a deal. Thanks for the idea!
You might not get them really cheap, but if you resell them you will probably get your money back - or at least most of it.

Wow, Niki, that cake turned out really well!! Great job, and I love the use of the apple corer :). That must have taken you ages. Your son looks really happy!

I've just started a cake decorating class (Thursday will be my 2nd "hands on" week). If any of them turn out well, I'll have to post a picture. Although this week we are doing clowns, baby booties and christmas trees, all on one cake - yikes!!

Last edited:
jbachen said:

You can look at yard sales too. Craigslist is a great reference to find sales (at least where I'm at)

fikibiff said:
Here are pictures of the Transformers cake that I made last week for my DS 4th birthday. I think they turned out pretty good. I did an Optimus Prime cake and the All Spark out of cookies and cake. I was going to do a Bumble Bee cake, too, but decided I already had enough cake for the party.

I used the new green lettuce knife for a lot of the cake trimming/shaping and I wrapped wax paper around the apple correr and covered it royal icing to make the barrel things on the bottom by the steps/doors.

DSC_3918.jpg

WOW!!! Those cakes look terrific!:) Do you think you could make one for my son & Fed-Ex it here by mid-May???:D LOL
Oh, wait...we don't have Fed-Ex here!:eek: :(

I have a friend who has shipped decorated cakes a number of times and they have all arived in good shape. Of course, they were flat sheet cakes, not 3D like this one, but I am amazed that they got there in 1 piece.

I found the one for Luke's birthday this year on All Aboard Toys is an online toy store featuring Thomas the Train Tank Engine, Bob the Builder, Disney Pixar Cars, Jay Jay the Jet Plane, Sesame Street, Disney Princess, Dora the Explorer and Diego toys and merchandise

I am getting a magazine from Wilton the next time I go to the store. I went to a birthday party this weekend and a girl there had it. It is the 2008 Cake Decorating Book. It has all their pans, molds, and all kinds of stuff in it. I wanted half the magazine just to have in my kitchen!!! It had icing and fondant and different recipes in it. It had every pan you could almost imagine to order too and at good prices.

Here's the book 2008 Yearbook - Wilton

Last edited:
When we build our new house I am going to have a dedicated cake/cookie cabinet. I need a place to store all of my pans, bags, tips, sprinkles, food coloring, etc.

jbachen said:

My little boy wants Backyardigans this year too! The only cake pan they have is Pablo. I found it on the webiste I posted earlier. Go to Cake decorating ideas, cake tips, cake decorating articles, cake recipes, photos and more. CakeCentral.com and there are ideas there to do other characters without a special pan. I aslo did a search online for ideas too.

I am a sucker for the character pans though. I am currently pregnant, so, I will save mine for later. A lot of people around here let others borrow their pans and swap them back and forth to help each other out.

Once I do not need them anymore I will probably sale them on Ebay.

Also, they have some CUTE personalize invitations on Ebay for the Backyardigans and matching things like candy wrappers, water bottle wrappers, lolly pop tags and others too.

I saw the Pablo cake there... I have one who doesn't like chocolate and one who does, and we usually have a HUGE shindig, so I was sort of hoping to get two different characters, and make one chocolate and one vanilla, but it depends on price. I guess if I can re-coop some of the costs on Ebay it may be worth $25 on cakes, but I have to see where the budget is. I will probably look into those non cake pan ideas you mentioned, too.So, does anyone on here have a Backyardigans cake pan they can lend me?!?!?So, Jennifer, when is your son's birthday?

This is cute, too: http://cgi.ebay.com/BACKYARDIGANS-in-motion-cake-kit-decoration-topper_W0QQitemZ120248693614QQihZ002QQcategoryZ26392QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

His birthday is July 19th. When is yours?

The Wilton book that I want has some CUTE Backyardigans cupcakes and the toppers. I am sure you could find the topper somewhere else and follow the pics of the cupcakes. You could then do one cake and surroung with the cupcakes and do two different flavors. Luke loved the cupcakes. I think I am going to do them for the adults that will be at the party since the character pans never serve very many.

When I get that Wilton book I can scan you the page and send it to you. I think you could also do a sheet cake and free hand Pablo or any character on top of it. You could do the fondant on the sheet cake to have a smooth background. The Wilton book has the cardboard cake place decorated so cute in the pic too - you could copy all thath.

There are some Pablo pans on Ebay but the ones I saw would cost more than ordering them new.

I usually check Michael's too for pans that I do not have to order and pay shipping.

If you find another character pan let me know. I think you do do just the heads of them with round cake pans. But you may be like me and want the whole body! HA!

I have seen people take the napkin and laminate it and use it as a cake topper in the center of a sheet cake too.

Last edited:
Mine is July 13th. I guess we won't be sharing pans! :)Oh, I saw a picture of a topper used to decorate a cake surrounded by cupcakes, but it didn't even occur to me to do the cakes in one flavor and the cupcakes in the other. Thanks for the great idea! I am still in the mindset of I-have-plenty-of-time, and will hopefully get out of it and get cracking on this party thing soon. My biggest challenge is that I am in Wave 2, and we are driving to conference! So I will most likely be leaving on the twins' birthday to start the drive! So I need to decide if I want to plan the party for the day before I leave, which might just leave me too wiped out! Big decision here! What would you do? I suppose I could hold the party the week before, but the other benefit is that Grandma can come for the party and stay for the few days I am in Chicago so DH doesn't have to take off from work. But that won't help me be any less wiped out...

Could you hold it just a few days before, if you did not want to do it an enitre week before? That would give you a day to rest in between. Parties are exhausting!!!! I am one that everything has to be "perfect" - I drive myself crazy when no one else cares, ha!!!!

I am so worried about the Pablo cake! It looks hard and has different colors with the bow tie and the hat. I did see a kit with the dye that is specifically for Pablo that I am going to get. That way you do not have to try to mix or get the right color. I did Clifford last year and had the hardest time getting the red the right shade. I was at Walmart at 11 PM the night before getting more icing!!!!

Let me see if I can find the cupcakes online. They were very simple. They had a topper in the middle with a white background and then 3 plain line circles in three different colors to match.

This is not the Wilton ones, but these are cute too!

Backyardigans Cupcake Toppers

http://www.nickjr.com/party/cake_finder/backyardigans-cupcakes.jhtml

I was thinking about this, the one in the upper left:http://cgi.ebay.com/BACKYARDIGANS-Pablo-Uniqua-Birthday-Cake-Topper-Set_W0QQitemZ120251754477QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46281QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemThanks for all the help! We will have to swap pictures of our finished cakes! :)

<h2>1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?</h2><p>One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?</h2><p>Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!</p><h2>3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?</h2><p>You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.</p><h2>4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?</h2><p>One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.</p><h2>5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?</h2><p>Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!</p>

Related to Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?

One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.

2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?

Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!

3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?

You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.

4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?

One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.

5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?

Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • akrebecca
  • General Chat
Replies