• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Apple Trifle with a Twist: Peanut Butter and Graham Cracker Crust?

In summary, Ann suggested a trifle with apple pie filling from a can and other recipes using spice cake. Using apple pie filling from a can seems gross. Any suggestions? Ann found a recipe on recipezaar.com but is not sure about it. She found other ones using spice cake. Using apple pie filling from a can seems gross.Any suggestions?
JAE
A friend of mine from high school is having a Real Food Real Fast show with me in a couple of weeks. She wanted to know what we could make for dessert, and I wasn't prepared for the question. I suggested a trifle and told her how many choices she'd have. She decided she wants the Taffy Apple Pizza. Been there, done that! Hasn't everyone, including guests? I want to suggest a trifle with the same flavor. I found one on recipezaar.com, but I'm not sure about it. I found other ones using spice cake. Using apple pie filling from a can seems gross. Any suggestions? Here's the recipe.

Peannutty Apple Trifle
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 24 squares)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In bowl, combine cracker crumbs, brown sugar, 1/2 cup peanut butter and butter and spoon 1/2 of mixture into 3 qt bowl.
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smoothed and fold in the whipped topping.
Spread 1/2 of this mixture into the trifle bowl or deep dish bowl.
Top w/one can apple pie filling.
Then combine powdered sugar, cinnamon and the remaining peanut butter until crumbly and sprinkle half over pie filling.
Repeat the layers and refigerate until serving

I like apple pie filling from a can. But then, I'm fat and I'll eat just about anything. :)You could do a version that's based more on the TAP recipe than this one is.Use vanilla wafers instead of the crust (like the chocolate raspberry trifle). Make the topping as the recipe, but combine it with 1 package of vanilla pudding made with 1 cup milk (so it's thick) - when combined, it should make a peanut butter mousse. Use fresh apple pieces. Layer with whipped topping and caramel.

You're so good, Ann! Do you think cake would work instead of the cookies? Why would you choose the cookies, so it tastes more like the sugar cookie?

Yes- the cookies would taste like the sugar cookies. You could use actual sugar cookies, but pound cake would work, too. Especially if it were really vanilla-y. (I'm just makin' up words left and right the last couple of days!)But TAP has such great flavors in it that as long as you stayed close to them, any trifle would be fantastic. And don't forget to add chopped peanuts or toffee bars to add some textural variation, too.

Yum! I've been planning to feature the Trifle Bowl at my Oct/Nov shows. I believe I'll make this and the pumpkin trifle from another thread my recipes of choice. The Furry Guy will love any leftovers.

Just read an old thread about the "no demo" shows that you've been doing? Are you still finding them successful? I've always thought of doing something like that since I find it hard to demo and talk at the same time. What recipes do you do ahead and bring? Did you also say you do some hands-on use of the products also?

Yep! They're still working for me.

I just do whatever recipe seems to work well for the upcoming host specials.

At times, I'll bring a veggie or two along to demo specific products, but not usually. Having everyone else talk about the products works well for my sales.

I did a traditional cooking show last week, and that worked fine. I talked with an upcoming host today who wanted me to make a recipe. When she found out what was in the recipe, she didn't like it. She's decided the 30-minute chicken is what she wants. (It's my aunt, so I'm being a bit more accomodating with her than I might normally.) After talking about what she wanted and expected, she decided it would work best if I make the chicken when I arrive so it will be ready when everyone else arrives.

I bought the ingredients for Ann's version of the trifle. I'll make it tomorrow or Sunday and let you know the results.

I just got done making this. It isn't very pretty from the side. I'm wondering if I should stand whole cookies up around the outside of each cookie layer, and leave the peel on some of the apples to line up around the outside of the bowl too. Maybe the mini cookies would work better. We'll taste it after dinner.

Taffy Apple Trifle tasted great! I used the APCS to slice the apples and then I quartered each slice. Next time I think they need to be cut smaller and I'll leave the peel on for color. Maybe, Cool Whip as a layer so there is more contrast in color. It didn't fill up the bowl, so I'm just trying to figure out how to get better color and fill it up. Oh, and I soaked the apple slices in water with lime juice.

When I make TAP, I slice the apples with the APCS, leave it in an apple shape, and run the apple wedger down through the slices to cut them into small pieces. You could try that.

Thanks, Ann. I'll use the apple wedger next time. I forgot to mention that I added the 8 oz cream cheese, peanut butter, and brown sugar to the pudding mix and 3 cups of milk. The consistency was perfect.

I may be the only person who dislikes the APCS. When I make my apple pies I like to use the UM. I cut them in half then scoop out the core with the Core and More then slice with the UM (of course, I peel them first). I know that's more steps, but I know that my apples will be the way I want them.

I've used the UM for apples before. I should try that again. I know everyone's seen the APCS anyway. I'd rather not use it, especially if I'm not going to peel the apples. I didn't cut my apples in half, though. I just cored them and then I sliced them. I used Gala.

I use the UM for apple varieties that don't work well on the APCS. Some softer types, like Johnagolds, Fuji, etc. have a tendency to work loose from the core, so turning the handle on the APCS just spins the core inside the apple. :rolleyes: Using the veggie peeler, Corer, and UM also shows off a higher dollar total in tools. ;)

chefann said:
............... But then, I'm fat and I'll eat just about anything. :).
You are wrong.....I have met you and you are absolutely not fat! Trust me on this one girlfriend, I'm from the deep south and grow them big here......

I think I'm going to do a twist on this trifle for my Friday show. I'll do pound cake ('cause it's easy!), then a layer of dulce de leche (or caramel dip if I can't find dulce de leche) mixed with cream cheese and cool whip, then sliced apples--two layers of each. I'll drizzle a little caramel topping over the top and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.

Gotta go. My mouth is watering, and it's making me drool on the keyboard.

Okay, stroke of brilliance, here. I will not be sprinkling peanuts on my trifle. I'll be sprinkling Sweet Caramel Sprinkles!

There you go Rae!! Way to sell those Sprinkles!!

I feel like a drug dealer. People are starting to call me because they're almost out of Sprinkles and can't do without them.

Maybe I should start offering "free samples" at my parties. You know, get them hooked so they'll keep coming back. ;)

pamperedlinda said:
You are wrong.....I have met you and you are absolutely not fat! Trust me on this one girlfriend, I'm from the deep south and grow them big here......
Well, thanks, darling, but I do have to disagree with you on this one. Anyone who wears a size that's 2 digits and starts with a "2" falls into the "fat" category. (That, and I'm supposed to lose 90 pounds to get into healthy range for my height.)

===

Rae- you getting ideas from the less savory segments of society?

chefann said:
Well, thanks, darling, but I do have to disagree with you on this one. Anyone who wears a size that's 2 digits and starts with a "2" falls into the "fat" category. (That, and I'm supposed to lose 90 pounds to get into healthy range for my height.)
:eek: :eek: Well, you hide it very well my dear! :love:

chefann said:

===

Rae- you getting ideas from the less savory segments of society?

The people who create those charts are insane. :grumpy: Ignore them. I do. :angel:

And, yes, I'm using my checkered past to help brighten my future. :balloon:

Rae, the caramel sprinkles sound like a great idea along with the other ingredient changes. I wanted to stick to the original flavor because the host specifically wanted me to make the Taffy Apple Pizza because she really likes it. Let us know how your trifle turns out.

Great Googly Moogly! I made the trifle tonight, and it's fantabulous!Here's what I did:Cut up one pound cake into 1/2 inch cubes. Cut 3 medium apples (I used Gala apples. I cored them with the corer, sliced them with the USG, and then used the apple wedger to cut them into bite-sized pieces) and put them into lemon-lime soda. Drain before assembling trifle.Mix together until smooth:
16 oz container of caramel apple dip
8 oz package of cream cheese
8 oz package of whipped topping, thawed
1 t vanilla (1/2 t PC vanilla)Layer 1/2 of the cake, then 1/2 of the apples, then 1/2 of the caramel mix. repeat. Sprinkle top with Sweet Caramel Sprinkles.I saved out a couple of cubes of pound cake, a few of the apple pieces, and a smidge of the caramel mix and assembled a sample in a bowl. I topped it with the sprinkles, of course. Aye Caramba! My taste buds did a little happy dance!

Rae,
It sounds great! When I used the apple wedger today on a Granny Smith apple already sliced with the UM the little pieces flew everywhere. Then I wondered if the pieces were too small to work with. Was it tedious to put the apple pieces into the trifle bowl? Did you try to keep the skin facing out so the colors showed on the outside? Was it colorful enough?

It's not particularly colorful, but I think it's still attractive. I didn't worry about which way I placed the apples. After the first apple, I learned something. You have to be slow with the wedger. I left the "top" slice of the apple fairly thick with the USG, then used that thick slice to lift the slices off the cutting board a bit. That way I didn't have to do that last little push that made the pieces fly.I like the small size of the apple pieces. It makes it easy to eat. I don't imagine anyone would complain, though if they were a bit bigger.

Thanks Rae.

Okay, so the Caramel Apple Trifle was a HUGE hit! People went back for seconds and thirds. I have about two bites left. I'm pretty proud of that recipe.

Sounds yummy! I'm reading this recipe while watching tv in bed with DH & he asked if he was still needed. :blushing: :eek:

That's pretty funny. So, what did you tell him?

Can't say it would make The Furry Guy obsolete, but it would sure make me miss him less when he's gone. ;)

I told him it depended on when it was in the month.... lol!! He got a chuckle out of your replies!

1. Is this recipe for Apple Trifle with a Twist difficult to make for someone who is not an experienced cook?

This recipe is fairly simple and can be made by anyone with basic cooking skills. The steps are easy to follow and the ingredients are readily available.

2. Can I substitute the graham cracker crust with a different type of crust?

Yes, you can use a different type of crust if you prefer. Some suggestions include using a pre-made Oreo crust or a traditional pastry crust.

3. Can I use homemade apple pie filling instead of canned?

Yes, you can use homemade apple pie filling if you prefer. Just make sure it is well-drained and cooled before using in the trifle.

4. Can I make this trifle ahead of time?

Yes, you can make this trifle ahead of time. However, it is best to assemble it a few hours before serving to prevent the crust from getting soggy. You can also make the components ahead of time and assemble the trifle right before serving.

5. Are there any variations or substitutions I can make to this recipe?

Yes, you can customize this recipe to your liking. Some variations include using different types of fruit pie filling, adding layers of chopped nuts or chocolate chips, or using a different type of spice cake instead of graham cracker crumbs. You can also substitute the peanut butter for almond butter or another nut butter of your choice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • erinb
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies